Mike Pettiness

JetNation

MikePettiness.jpg

I am not going to profess to understand the exact nature of the falling out between Mike Pettine and Rex Ryan. I do know that best friends don’t take lateral moves and stay in the division.  That is what happened when Mike Pettine became the defensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills.  The move has certainly worked out for Pettine because he now has an opportunity as a head coach.  With the Browns, Pettine has the chance to step out of Rex Ryan’s shadow and succeed or fail on his own.

Yet somehow the talk this week has been about a Jets playbook falling into the hands of the Patriots.

Tom Brady
 once hinted to a New York assistant that the 
Patriots 
might have had come
 into possession of Jets playbooks
. Pettine wondered if Ryan’s decision to give a playbook to Alabama coach Nick Saban — a mutual friend of both Ryan and 
Bill Belichick
 – played a role.

It isn’t the first time that Pettine has taken a jab at Rex.  In his first press conference with the Browns, Pettine told reporters that he isn’t Rex Ryan.

“I won’t be predicting Super Bowls or meeting presidents,” Pettine said after being announced as the 15th head coachof the Cleveland Browns.

He did acknowledge that he wouldn’t be standing there without Rex. But he also spoke about how much he helped, “keep Rex organized”.

An ex Jets front office executive defended Rex Ryan with this tweet:

It continues to amaze me when I see backhanded slaps at Rex Ryan by Mike Pettine. Why do that to someone that helped your career?

— Ari Nissim (@AriNissim)
June 20, 2014

In the Lego the Lageman summed it up perfectly when he called him Mike Pettiness.

History will decide who made who but I feel comfortable saying that Rex Ryan will have a far better, and longer, head coaching career in the NFL than Mike Pettine will.  Let the pettiness continue…

MikePettiness.jpg

I am not going to profess to understand the exact nature of the falling out between Mike Pettine and Rex Ryan. I do know that best friends don’t take lateral moves and stay in the division.  That is what happened when Mike Pettine became the defensive coordinator of the Buffalo Bills.  The move has certainly worked out for Pettine because he now has an opportunity as a head coach.  With the Browns, Pettine has the chance to step out of Rex Ryan’s shadow and succeed or fail on his own.

Yet somehow the talk this week has been about a Jets playbook falling into the hands of the Patriots.

It isn’t the first time that Pettine has taken a jab at Rex.  In his first press conference with the Browns, Pettine told reporters that he isn’t Rex Ryan.

He did acknowledge that he wouldn’t be standing there without Rex. But he also spoke about how much he helped, “keep Rex organized”.

It continues to amaze me when I see backhanded slaps at Rex Ryan by Mike Pettine. Why do that to someone that helped your career?

— Ari Nissim (@AriNissim) June 20, 2014

In the Lego the Lageman summed it up perfectly when he called him Mike Pettiness.

History will decide who made who but I feel comfortable saying that Rex Ryan will have a far better, and longer, head coaching career in the NFL than Mike Pettine will.  Let the pettiness continue…

Who gives a flying f__ what Art Nissim thinks.

As T0m says in the other thread clear that while Pettine owes a great deal to Ryan for plucking him out of high school coaching, there are serious differences between what Pettine and Ryan view as the ideal. Fair to say that Ryan is a player's coach, and at times seems to lead him to get carried away with things that don't matter. Witness that witless celebration in Miami last December. The NFL is a long hard slog rather than Mardi Gras. There is a clownish part of Rex Ryan that is not a good thing for an NFL head coach. which is how you get backup QBs bragging about winning the Super Bowl at minicamp.

On record that someday the Jets are going to look back on passing on Manziel as a very big dumb mistake. And whether directly or indirectly the influence of Rex Ryan shaped that decision . A SAFETY? You done f__ed up I man.

But whether Pettine is the guy who helps make that happen or it happens after he slips back into obscurity remains to be seen.

MikePettiness.jpg

— Ari Nissim (@AriNissim) June 20, 2014

I listened to his press conference and I didnt hear anything disrespectful or inappropriate towards Rex. Rex creativity is something that extended to Pettine as he stated, Rex strong point may not be organization. 

Whats funny about that comment is that I agree with it and is why I really loved the Idzik signing. I think Idzik is here because there was no organization here. Not every coach can be it all. Idzik will keep Rex organized and with that organization Rex along with Marty can use their creativity to over achieve like they did with a team that should have won 4 or 5 games last year yet one 8 and it could have been 9 or 10 if Kerley didnt get hurt. 

I dont see what Pettine said that was inappropriate during that conference. This latest stuff though I agree with. He's being a tool. 

I listened to his press conference and I didnt hear anything disrespectful or inappropriate towards Rex. Rex creativity is something that extended to Pettine as he stated, Rex strong point may not be organization. 

Whats funny about that comment is that I agree with it and is why I really loved the Idzik signing. I think Idzik is here because there was no organization here. Not every coach can be it all. Idzik will keep Rex organized and with that organization Rex along with Marty can use their creativity to over achieve like they did with a team that should have won 4 or 5 games last year yet one 8 and it could have been 9 or 10 if Kerley didnt get hurt. 

I dont see what Pettine said that was inappropriate during that conference. This latest stuff though I agree with. He's being a tool. 

I disagree.  He praised Doug Marone who he worked with for one season. He did do the obligatory, Rex helped me line. But he talked about how he helped Rex?  What the hell...you don't talk about how you helped Rex stay organized, that is a shot at Rex (and his opinion).

I disagree. He praised Doug Marone who he worked with for one season. He did do the obligatory, Rex helped me line. But he talked about how he helped Rex? What the hell...you don't talk about how you helped Rex stay organized, that is a shot at Rex (and his opinion).

You like and respect all your ex bosses?

I disagree.  He praised Doug Marone who he worked with for one season. He did do the obligatory, Rex helped me line. But he talked about how he helped Rex?  What the hell...you don't talk about how you helped Rex stay organized, that is a shot at Rex (and his opinion).

I can see how you can take that. I just feel like him and Rex aren't in the best of space so he didnt elaborate as he would if they were the best of friends. 

You like and respect all your ex bosses?

Most of them, yes. But there are a few exceptions. I just don't take shots at them. I don't see the point, you take whatever good you can from the experience and move on.

But I do know that sort of thing happens in the real world. :)

if you were a famous national figure, and someone had a microphone in your face, you take the high road for your career's sake

This only matters if you stink.   If the Browns make the playoffs or win a division, he can take any potshot at Rex he wants or any other former boss.   But if the Browns go 4-12 this year and 4-12 next year,  it sure won't do much for his career.

It's the old "bad press, good press, doesn't matter.'    Look at Mangini.   He makes money on TV now because he kind of made a name for himself going after his former boss.    If he stayed quiet and never said anything about the Pats or BB,  nobody would even know who the guy was, hell he had the personality of a door nail for the most part.    But he became a national figure more for his outing the Pats than his coaching.  Did it hurt his NFL career?  Maybe.  But if you can still make a lot of money on TV talking about football,  not exactly a bad thing.

Archived