Who do you think will be most surprising player cut before Opening Day?

SouthernJet

For this board, Matt Simms.  For most people, Willie Colon or Calvin Pace.  I think both of those guys play positions where we may have decide whether it is worth cutting a younger player in order to retain a veteran for a year.

Ya I think Boyd sticks as #3, if for no other reason he allows jets to simulate a team w/running QB on Scout team to better prepare D for upcoming game. #3 QB is almost always Scout QB. Boyd can prepare pocket and spread/running system.

For this board, Matt Simms.  For most people, Willie Colon or Calvin Pace.  I think both of those guys play positions where we may have decide whether it is worth cutting a younger player in order to retain a veteran for a year.

But... but... Simms leads all Jets' QBs in grit!!

As far as the answer, if you can qualify him as a "surprise" I'd say Jacoby Ford.  He's been getting some love lately but he's certainly not getting a roster spot over any one of Decker, Kerley, Nelson, or Hill.  Factor in another 3 Idzik draft picks and he's going to have to be a (relative) world-beater (and a healthy one at that) to make this roster.  Kick return prowess alone isn't going to do the trick.

Matt Simms is more likely than not going to get cut.  I can't see carrying 4 QBs, and I think Boyd will have to totally blow to get cut.

One of the safeties is gone.  Pryor is in.  They are starting Allen, who is young and cheap, so he is likely in.  Landry started all last season over Jarrett and Allen, so he would be the one that it would be a surprise to see go.  Bush and Jarrett are as likely to go as stay.  Rontez Miles is an interesting guy that should be a good special teamer that might stick over somebody we expect to make the roster.

Barnes is a pretty good candidate for an injury settlement if he doesn't come around.  They have some interesting OLB potentials, same with CB and WR.  Somebody unexpected at one of those positions is a decent candidate to go.  They are so stacked at DLine, that Douzable is the only guy they might cut, but I think they really like him.  

One thing is for sure; it will not be any of the top draft picks say from the 4th round on down, I mean this IS the Jets we're talking about. The team that will keep a guy like Joe McKnight over a Danny Woodhead even though he was outplayed decisively by Woodhead.

I hate to think it, but Powell may be a casualty. He & Landry account for around $1.5 mil each at very crowded positions. I think Richardson or Green can do what Bilal does and there aren't enough touches to warrant that kind of money. Landry won't play over Jarrett, Allen or Pryor. I think they keep Rontez for ST.

Wilson stays or gets traded.... perhaps they can get something for Powell.

I don't think Wilson is going to be here. The McDougle pick and Patterson signing sure seem to point that way. If we can't get a conditional 7th or something I think he'll be cut by the time we play Oakland.

Wilson's in the last year of his deal, and seeing how Idzik works I have little doubt he'd much rather keep Wilson around to get a comp pick for the guy.  As much of a disappointment as he may be to the Jets, he's still good enough (and CB play throughout the league bad enough) to get signed next offseason.

Besides, you can't count on Patterson staying healthy and Wilson's the only other guy in that group with any significant experience.

Wilson's in the last year of his deal, and seeing how Idzik works I have little doubt he'd much rather keep Wilson around to get a comp pick for the guy.  As much of a disappointment as he may be to the Jets, he's still good enough (and CB play throughout the league bad enough) to get signed next offseason.

Besides, you can't count on Patterson staying healthy and Wilson's the only other guy in that group with any significant experience.

WIlson and Powell both fit that philosophy.  It is fine when you have a sh*t team like the last couple of years, but that is no way to assemble talent.  I am not holding onto a lesser player in the hopes of getting an extra 7th.  In Rutgers scenario they would shop him for a pick.  FWIW, I don't really expect Johnny Patrick to make the team, but he has starts with the Saints and the Chargers.

WIlson and Powell both fit that philosophy.  It is fine when you have a sh*t team like the last couple of years, but that is no way to assemble talent.  I am not holding onto a lesser player in the hopes of getting an extra 7th.  In Rutgers scenario they would shop him for a pick.  FWIW, I don't really expect Johnny Patrick to make the team, but he has starts with the Saints and the Chargers.

Walls seems to have a good grasp on things at this point too.

I get what you're saying, but in this instance that also would rely on there being 6 or so players at the position who show themselves to be better than Wilson at CB, which I don't see happening with this group.  If they were to get a trade offer for him that's one thing, but I really doubt there's a chance of him being outright cut.  My point about the comp pick thing is it even gives them less of a reason to make the move, especially if it's a matter cutting him for a younger just "because".

Powell I could see the argument a bit more, given the fewer roster spots at the position and him being buried further down the depth chart with the Johnson signing, but Richardson would have to be healthy and look significantly better this year than last, because Green just sucks.

I don't think we are getting any sort of compensatory pick for Wilson. Barring injury, even if he's on the team he'll be the 4th or 5th guy by the end of the year.

I don't think we are getting any sort of compensatory pick for Wilson. Barring injury, even if he's on the team he'll be the 4th or 5th guy by the end of the year.

The way the cornerback market was in the offseason, I wouldn't be so sure.  The compensatory picks are based on the size of the contract signed in free agency.  We signed Dimitri Patterson for $3 million and he is an injury risk.  If Wilson plays nickel all year in a top defense, is it a stretch to think he signs somewhere for over $5 million?  That would yield a comp pick for sure.

Dont see a scenario where Wilson is cut.  He's the only reliable corner on the team right now.

I'm not sure if any of these are a surprise but I could see Jacoby Ford, Jaiqwan Jarrett and Matt Simms all getting cut.

Matt Simms because he sucks and Taj Boyd is better.

Jaiqwan Jarrett because he's the odd man out.

Jacoby Ford I just dont see his place on the team.  He's already WR#5 (behind Decker, Hill, Nelson, Kerley) and Saunders is pretty much going to be the retuner battling with Evans for WR#5.  Ford doesnt contribue anything other than return and some WR which I dont think he'll win over the rookies.

Geno Smith or maybe one of the corners, McDougle.  I know I said he sucked earlier this spring.

There is zero chance McDougle gets cut.  That would be beyond a huge surprise. He'd probably have to be dealing crack to his teammates.  I think they'd be more likely to cut Milliner.

There is zero chance McDougle gets cut.  That would be beyond a huge surprise. He'd probably have to be dealing crack to his teammates.  I think they'd be more likely to cut Milliner.

I hope that was a joke pdx made. 

As far as the answer, if you can qualify him as a "surprise" I'd say Jacoby Ford.  He's been getting some love lately but he's certainly not getting a roster spot over any one of Decker, Kerley, Nelson, or Hill.  Factor in another 3 Idzik draft picks and he's going to have to be a (relative) world-beater (and a healthy one at that) to make this roster.  Kick return prowess alone isn't going to do the trick.

Yeah, I said this during the draft. Jalen Saunders is basically the same guy as Ford, will they see a need to carry two 5'9" speedsters? I do think they'll carry six WRs, though.

This is what I think, too. Wilson is a competent nickel, for all the sh*t he gets here, and the Jets still have questions that need to be answered as far as who'll emerge as the starter opposite Milliner. He's not expensive to carry, and he's decent depth. And there is a real possibility that he'd be good for a late comp pick, too.

Archived