2014 Jets BIGGEST weakness reference 1 player/1 position group

SouthernJet

O-Line is average at best

Linebackers are average. Harris is the def of average. Davis might be one of the worst in the entire league.

Secondary is just bad. Dee was just awful last year. He literally played good for 2 games. Pryor is a rookie who has serious question marks. I've watched a ton of L'ville's games. He has potential but he'll have big time struggles this year. Rest of the secondary is a bandaid.

What makes Demario Davis worst ILB in the league? Over 100 tackles in his first full season as starter and 2nd year in the league. Also, since you've watched tons of Louisville games, what did you see in Pryor that makes you think he'll struggle so much?

Offensive line and it's not even close. It's an average unit on the starting front with zero depth aside from Dozier. One or two injuries and I think that's a wrap on our season because neither QB is good enough to put the offense on his shoulders.

according to this post the OL is average. I agree. Mid tier unit.

Can we say the same about the QB? The WR? the TE? the CB? seriously if average is 16th out of 32 where does the Jets WRs rank? 

Offensive line and it's not even close. It's an average unit on the starting front with zero depth aside from Dozier. One or two injuries and I think that's a wrap on our season because neither QB is good enough to put the offense on his shoulders.

yup

ever notice the best QB's all have o-lines that can protect ?  see what happened to Eli with that Giants line ?

sure QB's help by setting protections, recognizing blitzes, getting rid of the ball quickly

but you can either protect or you can't

wanna get depressed ?  it was acorsi or brandt who said.....

the hierarchy of football needs is;

get the QB

protect the QB

rush the QB

jets treat it like an expensive luxury.  I almost went all stoic when the jets didn't make a move on any good 0-lineman, heck with the stupid corners and WR's

What makes Demario Davis worst ILB in the league? Over 100 tackles in his first full season as starter and 2nd year in the league. Also, since you've watched tons of Louisville games, what did you see in Pryor that makes you think he'll struggle so much?

His read and reaction, coverage and ability to diagnose a play to start. It's not just me that thinks this btw. PFF had him rated as one of the worst backers in the league. 

Pryor has good potential but has some serious issues to overcome. In todays NFL S's have to be good in short areas. He's anything but right now. He has decent range but his ability to line up and cover someone if asked to isn't there yet. Also he reminds me of Brandon Meriweather in the sense that he's always looking for the big hit. That will only lead to injury and fines in todays game. I guess what I'm saying is that his game in college will not translate to the pros right away. I really think we should have taken Cooks or someone else in that spot.

I don't judge people by how they play in garbage time with nothing on the line. 

Especially vs. a no-account 4-12 Raiders, a no-account 4-12 Browns, and a Dolphins team not as good as their 8-8 record would imply.

We'll see soon enough if Geno's made the leap or not.  Then we finally stop deifying him for average performances in trash-time vs. horrible teams.

Geno's performances in those games was far above average. Sure he still needs to show it on the field, but he came on strong thos last 4 games.

Geno's performances in those games was far above average. Sure he still needs to show it on the field, but he came on strong thos last 4 games.

woah now johnny this is getting out of control . Now Geno played well above average in the last 4 games ? The Jets employed a more conservative game plan and Geno actually held on to the ball and did not create turnovers at an alarming rate. Geno didn't do anything special he just improved as compared to one of the most horrific displays at the position since the year before when Sanchez had a terrible year.

Improvement is always a good thing but lets not get crazy... those last 4 games as compared to the rest of the QB's in the NFL and a top ten QB capable of bringing home a SB trophy are not considered "far above average"    they should be considered adequate at best or showing some promise nothing more.

woah now johnny this is getting out of control . Now Geno played well above average in the last 4 games ? The Jets employed a more conservative game plan and Geno actually held on to the ball and did not create turnovers at an alarming rate. Geno didn't do anything special he just improved as compared to one of the most horrific displays at the position since the year before when Sanchez had a terrible year.

Improvement is always a good thing but lets not get crazy... those last 4 games as compared to the rest of the QB's in the NFL and a top ten QB capable of bringing home a SB trophy are not considered "far above average" they should be considered adequate at best or showing some promise nothing more.

I don't think the Jets have any ambition to get anything more than average QB play. They want to win games 17-13, 13-10, maybe an occasional 20-10 type game. They have built a conservative type team that will beat up on the garbage of the NFL, but never have a real chance to win a SB with this regime/team.

I don't think the Jets have any ambition to get anything more than average QB play. They want to win games 17-13, 13-10, maybe an occasional 20-10 type game. They have built a conservative type team that will beat up on the garbage of the NFL, but never have a real chance to win a SB with this regime/team.

Not for nothing, but this is exactly the way the most recent Super Bowl winner was built, and Idzik was one of the builders. Rex came from. Baltimore team that won a Super Bowl without an offense at all. Everybody gets that the most direct path is thru the QB, but there are other ways to win a championship, too.

It's not like they passed on Andrew Luck when they passed on Manziel, Bridgewater, or Carr, either. They passed on this year's Geno or Manuel.

Not for nothing, but this is exactly the way the most recent Super Bowl winner was built, and Idzik was one of the builders. Rex came from. Baltimore team that won a Super Bowl without an offense at all. Everybody gets that the most direct path is thru the QB, but there are other ways to win a championship, too.

It's not like they passed on Andrew Luck when they passed on Manziel, Bridgewater, or Carr, either. They passed on this year's Geno or Manuel.

No, it really was not, you are 100% incorrect. Since Carrol got there they did everything they could to get a QB, they traded for one, they signed a FA, and they drafted at least one. They also were very fortunate to get players like they did in later rounds, and pay them nothing, as well as what seems to be an excellent QB in the 3rd round.

That is not a strategy that is easily repeatable. Everyone wants to laugh off Caroll as a joke who got lucky, yet praise the Jets for following his model?? Seriously? Is our strategy to hope for that type of luck?

No, it really was not, you are 100% incorrect. Since Carrol got there they did everything they could to get a QB, they traded for one, they signed a FA, and they drafted at least one. They also were very fortunate to get players like they did in later rounds, and pay them nothing, as well as what seems to be an excellent QB in the 3rd round.

That is not a strategy that is easily repeatable. Everyone wants to laugh off Caroll as a joke who got lucky, yet praise the Jets for following his model?? Seriously? Is our strategy to hope for that type of luck?

It's 100% incorrect to suggest that the Seahawks were built to be a defense first, rushing the football second football team? A team that fielded the #1 defense, #4 rushing offense, and #26 passing offense last year?

I don't think you understand what "100% incorrect" means.

It's 100% incorrect to suggest that the Seahawks were built to be a defense first, rushing the football second football team? A team that fielded the #1 defense, #4 rushing offense, and #26 passing offense last year?

He's fun because he's crazy and not good at this.

In another thread he was unhappy with the way this regime has approached QB but applauds the Seahawks. Who waited 3 years to draft a QB in the 3rd and take a sh*tty FA after failing with a veteran who had been to the SB and failing with Bevells boo, Tavraris Jackson.

Idzik on the other hand took a QB round 2, year 1. Wasn't completely happy so he signed the best available vet and drafted a QB late the following year but the Jets are lazy addressing QB and the Seahawks were aggressive.

QB's are not the only answer... Sure its nice to have one who does not turn the ball over like he's playing on the other teams defense but what you want in a QB is a player who can stay consistent when the going gets really tough in the playoffs and the SB. Its up to the team to win those games, because the QB is no doubt going to run into a defense in the playoffs that will shut his options down in a big way. It happens to all the greats and it happens every year.

I would be willing to bet very few SB's were won single handedly by the QB its usually the defense that wins and a good solid running game. Brady won his SB's when his team played Defense and was capable of running the football as well. The offense he ran were conservative ball control offenses and his defense shut things down or made big plays down the stretch to get him the ball back to win the game. When Brady started lighting it up his running game was no longer as big a factor and his defense was nothing close to what it was. So Brady now throws anywhere from 35 to 45 TD's but he wins 0 SB's.

Manning had one of if not the greatest regular seasons in history but that great defense in Seattle shut his ass down ... Hell even Rex's defenses who did not have near the talent Seattle had shut down Manning and Brady in the playoffs one year in consecutive games.

I don't mind the Jets playing it conservative on offense and running teams into the ground by playing great defense and running the ball but to do that you need, at the very least, a QB who can move the chains on third down and not turn the ball over. The perfect QB for this type team would have been Alex Smith but the Jets didn't seem to show interest. With Smith at QB and a few Decent skill players like we added this year could make this team contend for a SB if the Secondary pans out. If anyone thinks the Jets are going to get that QB who consistently throws 30 TD's  + they are dreaming those guys just don't come around very often and most of them are surrounded by skill players the Jets have not seemed to been able to aquire in the last 15 + years. If Manning would have come to this team his career might have very well ended the players who Sanchez and Geno have had to deal with the last 2 years were the worst I have seen in all my 40+ years watching this team

QB's are not the only answer... Sure its nice to have one who does not turn the ball over like he's playing on the other teams defense but what you want in a QB is a player who can stay consistent when the going gets really tough in the playoffs and the SB. Its up to the team to win those games, because the QB is no doubt going to run into a defense in the playoffs that will shut his options down in a big way. It happens to all the greats and it happens every year.

I would be willing to bet very few SB's were won single handedly by the QB its usually the defense that wins and a good solid running game. Brady won his SB's when his team played Defense and was capable of running the football as well. The offense he ran were conservative ball control offenses and his defense shut things down or made big plays down the stretch to get him the ball back to win the game. When Brady started lighting it up his running game was no longer as big a factor and his defense was nothing close to what it was. So Brady now throws anywhere from 35 to 45 TD's but he wins 0 SB's.

Manning had one of if not the greatest regular seasons in history but that great defense in Seattle shut his ass down ... Hell even Rex's defenses who did not have near the talent Seattle had shut down Manning and Brady in the playoffs one year in consecutive games.

I don't mind the Jets playing it conservative on offense and running teams into the ground by playing great defense and running the ball but to do that you need, at the very least, a QB who can move the chains on third down and not turn the ball over. The perfect QB for this type team would have been Alex Smith but the Jets didn't seem to show interest. With Smith at QB and a few Decent skill players like we added this year could make this team contend for a SB if the Secondary pans out. If anyone thinks the Jets are going to get that QB who consistently throws 30 TD's  + they are dreaming those guys just don't come around very often and most of them are surrounded by skill players the Jets have not seemed to been able to aquire in the last 15 + years. If Manning would have come to this team his career might have very well ended the players who Sanchez and Geno have had to deal with the last 2 years were the worst I have seen in all my 40+ years watching this team

The Niners did not seem that in love with Alex Smith and they are doing the exact same thing. 

The Niners did not seem that in love with Alex Smith and they are doing the exact same thing. 

I thought the Niners made a mistake getting rid of Smith but looking at Kapernick play he's not making many mistakes either so meh . I thought with Kapernick being the type player he is would lead to more mistakes due to taking more chances but it has not. Tough call I guess but either way Harbaugh was pretty sh*tty the way he treated Smith .

You and your band of rexcusers all claim Seattle got lucky with their QB, and have pointed out how numerous times how bad mediocre they were until they found Wilson. My point is, I kind of agree, but they went all out, as much as possible to get a QB. Hell, they drafted Wilson after giving out a large FA deal for Flynn, we skipped a ton of decent prospects for Geno, GENO for craps sake. They at least kept trying until they found a QB, we don't seem to get that strategy.

You and your band of rexcusers all claim Seattle got lucky with their QB, and have pointed out how numerous times how bad mediocre they were until they found Wilson. My point is, I kind of agree, but they went all out, as much as possible to get a QB. Hell, they drafted Wilson after giving out a large FA deal for Flynn, we skipped a ton of decent prospects for Geno, GENO for craps sake. They at least kept trying until they found a QB, we don't seem to get that strategy.

What decent prospect did they skip?

Archived