Lost my passion for the Jets

use2Jet

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone here? Clearly you haven't been lurking too long. You should've stopped by when there were new threads everyday lamenting the fact that the Jets failed to take a QB in the first round. That debate just grew tired, but I'm sure will be revived if Manziel, Bridgewater, or Carr looks like an NFL QB anytime soon. 

I was a little disappointed they didn't take the best of the rest in the fourth round, but I get giving Geno a shot this year before going all in on another QB the year after drafting him in the second. If you really want the team to develop a QB, maybe you can give them a couple years to do it. 

This is one of my favorite anti-Rex arguments. He's too good to let the team fall to a Kotitian type record and get himself fired, so we should fire him. If Mornhinweg and Geno can put together an offense that's just top half in the league, and limit the turnovers, this is a playoff team with Rex's dee. I don't know how many other coaching candidates would come with that sort of guarantee. 

I am all for developing a QB, but I am also all for having a contingency plan at QB when your QB looks as bad as Geno did last year. Would drafting Murray or McCairens in the 4th really have not been giving Geno a chance? And yeah, if any of those 3 you mentioned look good, and Geno sucks, it will have been a multi year setback again for the Jets. But the good thing is we have a hard hitting safety! Its like buying a gas powered speedster after they outlaw gasoline in favor of hydrogen.....

Now if only your whining came with a plan!

Oh, my whining comes with a plan, get rid of Herman Munster and Rexy and bring in some real football people who understand how to win BIG in the NFL in this day and age.

It amazes me, 3/4 of this board gives Rex a pass because he did not have a QB, yet, people are content with not drafting a QB when all you have is Geno Smith. Would it be a bad thing to have drafted a QB, and have Geno developed into a good QB? Can you ever have too many good QB's?

You can certainly not have any good QB's, we have had, and still have that.

The Rex loving apologists crack me up. Rex has had very good talent on Defense his entire time here. Rex lovers want to excuse him for a piss poor offense because of a lack of talent, yet they want to praise him for defense where he has had a lot of talent....

You all talk out of both sides of your mouth. You say its all about the players, all about the players on offense, but on Defense its all about Rex. Its really comical. You all scream how the QB is all that matters, than love the Jets taking a hard hitting safety when you are not allowed to hit hard anymore.

You want a QB, get someone in here who understand how important the QB position is, its pretty clear that nobody in this franchise gets that, including Rex and Herman.

It's no wonder our owner sucks so bad. He has the golden ticket. He has an average coach who will never be less than, or more than average, and the fan base loves him. He cannot lose. He will keep selling tickets and his brand because they will never be really bad, but he gets to keep a dopey HC who will let the moron owner feel like a buddy.

Oh, my whining comes with a plan, get rid of Herman Munster and Rexy and bring in some real football people who understand how to win BIG in the NFL in this day and age.

It amazes me, 3/4 of this board gives Rex a pass because he did not have a QB, yet, people are content with not drafting a QB when all you have is Geno Smith. Would it be a bad thing to have drafted a QB, and have Geno developed into a good QB? Can you ever have too many good QB's?

You can certainly not have any good QB's, we have had, and still have that.

Ah yes, the nameless mythical superstar coach and superstar QB.

And, you can keep drafting 1st round QBs all you want, but eventually you need a team around them.  That's what we're trying to accomplish, all while not taking a guy we don't like just because fans recognize him.

The Rex loving apologists crack me up. Rex has had very good talent on Defense his entire time here. Rex lovers want to excuse him for a piss poor offense because of a lack of talent, yet they want to praise him for defense where he has had a lot of talent....

You all talk out of both sides of your mouth. You say its all about the players, all about the players on offense, but on Defense its all about Rex. Its really comical. You all scream how the QB is all that matters, than love the Jets taking a hard hitting safety when you are not allowed to hit hard anymore.

You want a QB, get someone in here who understand how important the QB position is, its pretty clear that nobody in this franchise gets that, including Rex and Herman.

It's no wonder our owner sucks so bad. He has the golden ticket. He has an average coach who will never be less than, or more than average, and the fan base loves him. He cannot lose. He will keep selling tickets and his brand because they will never be really bad, but he gets to keep a dopey HC who will let the moron owner feel like a buddy.

This is the best poster of all time

I'm over 40, and here's the trick:  you need to make the Jets 'seem' better, by seeking perennial mediocrity in other aspects of your life.

- watch glee

- drink light beer

- go to a batman movie

- listen to Nickelback

- buy a hyundai ( or one of the square cars designed by a drunk)

- tell people you have a hyundai ( or one of the square cars designed by a drunk)

After this, your interest in the Jets will be more of a shining light in your life.

I'm over 40, and here's the trick: you need to make the Jets 'seem' better, by seeking perennial mediocrity in other aspects of your life.

- watch glee

- drink light beer

- go to a batman movie

- listen to Nickelback

- buy a hyundai ( or one of the square cars designed by a drunk)

- tell people you have a hyundai ( or one of the square cars designed by a drunk)

After this, your interest in the Jets will be more of a shining light in your life.

This is gospel. Follow this man's advice.

Or Tannenbaum just blew every non-DL pick post-Mangini.

Not every one. Far from it. The problem is we barely drafted at all. We spent big money on older players and had very few reasonable options on the team beyond guys that got old.

Who did Rex fail to coach up? Kyle Wilson? That's to say that Rex et al are so stupid that they haven't thought to talk to the guy on turning his head for the ball. As opposed to him just not having the instincts/abilities. Anyone else?

these are glory days you mary's

remember the 6 straight non playoff years in the 90's ? '87-'97 produced one playoff game, a loss after an 8-8 year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_York_Jets_seasons

even this last dry spell the team is still 22-26. that sux but it's no 4-28

Wrong Larz... Didn't you know that going 8-8 twice since 2000 is the same as being eternally 8-8?

Not every one. Far from it. The problem is we barely drafted at all. We spent big money on older players and had very few reasonable options on the team beyond guys that got old.

Who did Rex fail to coach up? Kyle Wilson? That's to say that Rex et al are so stupid that they haven't thought to talk to the guy on turning his head for the ball. As opposed to him just not having the instincts/abilities. Anyone else?

The guy came here with a reputation as a great teacher and, judging by the product that's taken the field the past three years, it hasn't turned out to be true. Rex will be here six years. It's not a coincidence that the talent level has declined each of those years. The 49ers under Singletary were a mess outside of the front seven (Singletary's obvious field of expertise), then Harbaugh comes in and they're the most talented team in the league.

Hey guys, cool forum. Been reading for a while before I decided to start posting. 

I am a mid 40's Jets fan, and I have really lost my passion for the Jets the past few years. Really started in the offseason of 2011, and is getting worse and worse every single season. I used to truly love the Jets, I mean love them. My moods during football season would follow a Jet win or loss for the whole week.

I find that while I am still a Jet fan, I just don't care nearly as much about them anymore.

I despise the owner, I think Rex while a likeable guy, is nothing more than a mediocre HC who acts like a clown, and I think Idzik is Mr. Conservative who will play for 9-7 every year.

I see most of you here are really high on Rex and Idzik, and I just don't get it. I mean, being a Jet fan for as long as I have, I get that average and mediocre are much better than most of our history, but why should that be enough?Why shouldn't we have a great team? Why do we have to settle for Geno Smith? Why do we draft DB or DL with virtually every 1st round pick we have?

This whole team is designed for eternal 7-9 to 9-7. The d will always be good enough to avoid complete disaster, and the O will never be good enough to be more than slightly above, below average. Rex is a cure, he is not good enough to take us to the promise land, and not bad enough to can him. 

I think many Jets fans are disillusioned by incredibly good fortune in 09 and 10, I really do.

Anyway, I know most disagree with me and to each their own, this is just my take on the state of the Jets.

Maybe it's time to find a new team.  Try to choose one that better reflects your values.  Sports team should be chosen based upon shared values not the local where you live or some distant "happy time" from your youth.  

Another myth is that the Jets are talented on defense outside of the line.

Want a myth? This notion that any team has a perfect unit on either side of the ball these days....

Its impossible with the number of teams and the cap. Every team has major holes, the coaches have to work around them. You guys act like unless Rex has 11 superstars at every position on both sides, he should not be held accountable. 

Want a myth? This notion that any team has a perfect unit on either side of the ball these days....

Its impossible with the number of teams and the cap. Every team has major holes, the coaches have to work around them. You guys act like unless Rex has 11 superstars at every position on both sides, he should not be held accountable.

GOAT

I thought you were done here? You keep coming back for more , I seem to have that affect on Women.

it's your superfan aura. please tell us more about what is wrong with the Jets.  we are so clueless

I guess there's little middle ground between awful OLBs, average ILBs, awful safeties, and poor CBs and 11 superstars at every position on each side of the ball (which actually works out to 242 superstars, but we can leave that alone numbers aren't your thing obviously as 2 = eternal).

The guy came here with a reputation as a great teacher and, judging by the product that's taken the field the past three years, it hasn't turned out to be true. Rex will be here six years. It's not a coincidence that the talent level has declined each of those years. The 49ers under Singletary were a mess outside of the front seven (Singletary's obvious field of expertise), then Harbaugh comes in and they're the most talented team in the league.

I don't know the specifics of the 49ers situation so I can't comment on it exactly.  What I do know is that someone who was as anti-tannenbaum as you were, and I think rightfully so, is now ignoring the after effects of tannenbaum's work.  By going for it all with high priced free agents, trading way too many draft picks, and doubling down on Sanchez, and giving Holmes that monster contract, we were left in need of a full rebuild and very few tools to do so.  It just doesn't add up to me.  I think it's very obvious we're still feeling the effects of Tannenbaums Madden-eske running of the team.

The difference I can speak to of the 49ers is that while they had a "bust" at QB, they found something that at least he could do well.  Alex Smith could be a game manager, and complete high percentage passes and not turn the ball over.  Sanchez could not do that.  Then, they drafted Kappernick who can actually play, just how well is debatable.  Kappernick also got to redshirt his rookie year, unlike Geno.  The problem with the Jets is that Sanchez was good at literally nothing, and Geno was a rookie, who may also be good at very little.

Ultimately, while last year was only 8-8, I'd say at this point, the team is far more talented than it's been in a while.  I like a lot of the pieces in place, but we still have concerns at CB (is it Rex's fault that Cromartie fell off a cliff?) and QB, which will ultimately determine how good we are.  I think this team is slowly moving in the right direction, and I think slowly is the right way to do things, regardless if it means that you're not frowny-pants all day long if the Jets lose.

Archived