I'm so happy the Jets didn't draft Manziel

GREENBEAN

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is just setting up everybody for future failure.

Yup, if Geno ends up not panning out, and either Manziel or Bridgewater are good QB's, the Jets, and the majority of the Idzik worshippers are going to look pretty, pretty bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thinks this thread is destined not to end well? Like Manziel ends up tearing it up in the league and this thread proceeds to get bumped?

Actually the other portion of the point was that if Manziel was to pull this stuff in NY the fallout would be much worse ( the Circus articles and reports would be daily)  and therefor not being a good pick for the Jets.  His success, while doubtful, wouldn't damage the original point very much.

Not every player can make it everywhere. I think the Cleveland abyss is probably a good fit for his shenanigans. At least people are talking about the Browns. 

Actually the other portion of the point was that if Manziel was to pull this stuff in NY the fallout would be much worse ( the Circus articles and reports would be daily)  and therefor not being a good pick for the Jets.  His success, while doubtful, wouldn't damage the original point very much.

Not every player can make it everywhere. I think the Cleveland abyss is probably a good fit for his shenanigans. At least people are talking about the Browns.

Think NY really isn't that different any more.

Think NY really isn't that different any more.

It is.

The rest of the league gets a mere taste in a year of what a NY franchise receives weekly. It's a fact. The Jets would be Especially bad with the recent issues the Jets displayed from the boastful AFC championship years to the Santionio Holmes huddle blowup to the butt fumble. If we drafted Manziel there would be a feast going on right now. The only reason it's died down is because no one can pay attention to the Cleveland Browns for more than a few days at a clip.  

It is.

The rest of the league gets a mere taste in a year of what a NY franchise receives weekly. It's a fact. The Jets would be Especially bad with the recent issues the Jets displayed from the boastful AFC championship years to the Santionio Holmes huddle blowup to the butt fumble. If we drafted Manziel there would be a feast going on right now. The only reason it's died down is because no one can pay attention to the Cleveland Browns for more than a few days at a clip.

You mean players stand in fear and dread of dealing with the likes of Rich Cimini and Mike Francesa?The Jets may have a few more beat reporters and an extra all sports station. Everyone has to deal with the new world of internet media, everywhere all the time. As Manziel (and everyone should) now knows there is no private any more as long as someone has a cell phone. And if Kevin Durant can become as advertising icon in OKC, it's not 1975. The internet and social media has changed all that. We're just another market.

You mean players stand in fear and dread of dealing with the likes of Rich Cimini and Mike Francesa?The Jets may have a few more beat reporters and an extra all sports station. Everyone has to deal with the new world of internet media, everywhere all the time. As Manziel (and everyone should) now knows there is no private any more as long as someone has a cell phone. And if Kevin Durant can become as advertising icon in OKC, it's not 1975. The internet and social media has changed all that. We're just another market.

We're just the biggest market in the US. Plus it is the NFL city with the most temptations and the largest chance of getting in trouble. Oh and it has the most media of all the US cities. No way we're the same. Yes everyone has cell phones and access to youtube but that does not mean that every city is the same.

While your point that the internet has taken away all privacy and made things much different is accurate, stating that NY is just another market is not.

Whether or not players stand in fear of reporters is irrelevant. It's the mentality not the few more beat reporters. People in the NY area are ridiculously loyal or hateful toward things and over react in both directions.

People outside of the NY area hate the NY sports teams, especially the Jets, and are relentless in their onslaught toward any issue having todo with them. They jump into the lynch mob much quicker than they do toward other areas. 

Could you imagine what it would have been like with the Richie incognito thing in NY?  Staffs would have been fired no doubt. Philbin still having his job alone backs up my point. 

manziel jersey is the #1 seller right now

mission accomplished

And so was Favre's for the 18 minutes he was here. Doesn't mean it was a success story  :)

I bet the Brows ownership is happy right about now though eh? 

Yup, if Geno ends up not panning out, and either Manziel or Bridgewater are good QB's, the Jets, and the majority of the Idzik worshippers are going to look pretty, pretty bad.

And that will be great for you because although the football team you claim to love will suck, you will be right and isn't that what is really important?

Dick. 

For the Browns I'd say it was the right decision.  He wasn't their first pick, and until LeBron decided to return, there wasn't a whole lot to get excited about in that city sports-wise.  As was mentioned previously, Manziel is currently the # 1 selling NFL jersey.  Who was the last Brown that had that going for him? 

If he fails, well it's not exactly uncommon for Cleveland.  Their QB history is a giant failure pile in a sadness bowl.  It was worth the roll of the dice, and I don't think anyone will get fired if he ends up a bust.  Brian Hoyer could very well step in and have a decent season if Manziel implodes.  Especially if Josh Gordon is available for any part of the season.

For the Jets?  100 % the wrong guy to bring in.

For the Browns I'd say it was the right decision.  He wasn't their first pick, and until LeBron decided to return, there wasn't a whole lot to get excited about in that city sports-wise.  As was mentioned previously, Manziel is currently the # 1 selling NFL jersey.  Who was the last Brown that had that going for him? 

If he fails, well it's not exactly uncommon for Cleveland.  Their QB history is a giant failure pile in a sadness bowl.  It was worth the roll of the dice, and I don't think anyone will get fired if he ends up a bust.  Brian Hoyer could very well step in and have a decent season if Manziel implodes.  Especially if Josh Gordon is available for any part of the season.

For the Jets?  100 % the wrong guy to bring in.

Archived