National writer says Nick Mangold is Jets' most overrated player

F.Chowds

Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com slipped into his summer troll pants on Friday by publishing his annual list of who he thinks is every NFL team'smost overrated and underrated players.

Jets-wise, Prisco has center Nick Mangold as most overrated, and defensive tackle Damon Harrison as most underrated.

Regular readers of Prisco's overrated/underrated list might notice that he often tabs as overrated a recognizable name on a given team. In 2011, Prisco identified linebacker Bart Scott as the Jets' most overrated. In 2012, it was offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson. And last season it was inside linebacker David Harris.

Scott was certainly beginning his decline by 2011, but Ferguson and Harris are veteran mainstays and crucial to what the Jets do. Same goes for Mangold.

The problem with Prisco's analysis is that there isn't much analysis. His entire take on Mangold and Harrison reads as follows:

New York Jets

Overrated:

C Nick Mangold ­­-- He didn't have the type of season we expect from Mangold. Is it a one-year thing? Or a trend?

Underrated:

DT Damon Harrison --­­ You know about Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson, the two players who play on either side of Harrison. But Harrison is a big load in the middle of the defense and key to their run defense.

Which ... OK. What part of Mangold's game failed to be "the type of season we expect from" him? His run-blocking? Pass-blocking? The fact that he had to work with Vlad Ducasse on his left before Ducasse got benched in favor of then-rookie Brian Winters, who was transitioning from having played tackle in college? Prisco doesn't say.

Pro Football Focus gave Mangold an overall grade of minus-0.2 for the 2013 season, which ranked 19th in the NFL. Mangold got a positive mark for his pass-blocking (+6.8) and a negative one for his run-blocking (-9.3). And PFF said Mangold's pass-block efficiency came out to 98.0, which ranked 12th-best in the league.

In 2012, PFF did give Mangold a grade of plus-20.5, good enough for sixth-best in the NFL, with especially high marks for his run-blocking (+15.8). At the same time, PFF's grades don't take specific assignments and game-planning into account, so, you know, grain of salt.

Nick isn't over-rated.

Geno Smith is (to this point).

The amount of oral pleasuring Geno gets from fans based off a few scant decent plays here and there in an otherwise "as bad a season as a rookie QB can have" amazes me.

It's all but assumed by the fanbase that Geno is a Franchise QB in the making, a sure thing, that he'll vastly improve in 2014, etc, etc, etc.

Those things COULD happen.....maybe.....but they're no sure thing.

Geno should be considered what he is, the worst QB in the NFL as a rookie given a better supporting cast in his second year.  Thats it. 

Any talk of "Franchise" is horribly premature.

It's all but assumed by the fanbase that Geno is a Franchise QB in the making, a sure thing, that he'll vastly improve in 2014, etc, etc, etc.

Which fanbase is this? The Jets?

Nick isn't over-rated.

The amount of oral pleasuring Geno gets from fans based off a few scant decent plays here and there in an otherwise "as bad a season as a rookie QB can have" amazes me.

Literally none of this is true.

Nick isn't over-rated.

The amount of oral pleasuring Geno gets from fans based off a few scant decent plays here and there in an otherwise "as bad a season as a rookie QB can have" amazes me.

Those things COULD happen.....maybe.....but they're no sure thing.

Geno should be considered what he is, the worst QB in the NFL as a rookie given a better supporting cast in his second year.  Thats it. 

Any talk of "Franchise" is horribly premature.

?

haven't seen one poster say geno is a franchise QB in the making and a sure thing.  some point out his last 4 games were better than his first 12 and that is reason for hope

I think Brick is more overrated at this point than Mangold, but can't really complain if someone thinks vice versa. On a side note, Mangold had a rookie LG and a new RG over his shoulders , sometimes it takes a year to gel with them. More likely than not though Mangold and Brick have hit their decline.

?

haven't seen one poster say geno is a franchise QB in the making and a sure thing.  some point out his last 4 games were better than his first 12 and that is reason for hope

Because JN posters represent the entire Jets or NFL Fanbase?

Apologies if I implied that it was explicitly JN posters espousing this viewpoint. 

But be assured, the viewpoint is expressed, often, in other locales and by other people, if not here at JN.

Although some certainly are saying it here too;

Have to agree with the many posters who suggested Geno. He's been working hard with MM and we have several new weapons. Dude will breakout and make his first Pro-Bowl this year.

Because JN posters represent the entire Jets or NFL Fanbase?

Apologies if I implied that it was explicitly JN posters espousing this viewpoint. 

But be assured, the viewpoint is expressed, often, in other locales and by other people, if not here at JN.

Although some certainly are saying it here too;

Exactly my point...Geno a stud...glad you agree.

I got to go with D'Brick. I don't think we realize how much Mangold does. He calls out the defense so that Sanchez/Smith never had to handle those duties. His blocking has definitely slipped but I think we put a lot on his plate.

snacks isn't a secret anymore pricko

Exactly. I would have said Kendrick Ellis. 

i would have said D'Brick as the most overrated Jet. Mangold is still pretty solid. D'brick be looking suspect at time. You could make the argument that Austin Howard had a better year than D'brick last year. 

Exactly. I would have said Kendrick Ellis. 

i would have said D'Brick as the most overrated Jet. Mangold is still pretty solid. D'brick be looking suspect at time. You could make the argument that Austin Howard had a better year than D'brick last year. 

bingo

brick has been sorta mailing it in

Rex is one of the top 10 coaches in the league but has never won anything of consequence, so all of our players must be overrated.

Every game he won with Mark Sanchez at quarterback is a greater achievement than anything Bill Walsh ever produced.

Meh. If not Mangold, who? Who else on the Jets might be overrated? He and D'Brick would be my two choices. 

Mangold was Jets best offensive player last year. My votes goes to Harris, even though he was picked last year as well by Pete Crisco.

Archived