•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Namath: "Nothing to me is outstanding about Geno smith"

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#1 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 16,706 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

Joe Namath: 'Nothing to me is outstanding' about Geno Smith
By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

June 30, 2014 2:05 pm ET

•  
  •  
  •  

Geno_Smith_Joe_Namath_Sigh_Broadway.jpgJoe Namath says 'nothing to me is outstanding' about Geno Smith. (USATSI)

More NFL offseason: League minicamp dates | Latest news, notes

Joe Namath is a harsh critic of his New York Jets and a harsh critic of quarterbacks. So you know he's got plenty to say about Geno Smith heading into the quarterback's second year.

Speaking with Peter Schwartz of WFAN.com, Namath called Geno "pretty good" but said "nothing to me is outstanding."

"I don't see anything outstanding about him. He's not an outstanding passer. He's not an outstanding runner. He's good, but nothing jumps out at me with intangibles that I'm not aware of because I'm not there on an everyday [basis]," Namath said. "I haven't seen anything really extra special from Geno, and that's not to be negative at all. The guy performed really darn well on a professional level against guys that were so much better than he's ever played against. The upside of Geno is going to be strong. The upside is grasping his offense versus the defenses he sees.

"Just looking at him physically, what's outstanding about his running ability? What's outstanding about his passing ability? Nothing to me is outstanding about it, but it's pretty good."

In reality, "pretty good" is a fair assessment of Smith through his first season. He wasn'toutstanding as a rookie.

But who would be in that situation? Geno dealt with a high-pressure situation (starting for the Jets) and handled the scrutiny of stealing time from Mark Sanchez well. He didn't get much help at receiver or tight end, or even in the running game.

At times he made bad throws. But at other times he shone. It's far too early to make a concrete assessment on him as a future quarterback (although competing against Michael Vick won't help his immediate prospects), which is kind of what Namath did, just without the eloquence needed to avoid headlines and sound bytes pointing to his distaste for Geno.

Topics: Geno

#2 dbatesman

dbatesman

John Idzik Jizz Patrol

• Members
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

#SideEyeGeno

Edited by dbatesman, 30 June 2014 - 04:42 PM.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#3 dbatesman

dbatesman

John Idzik Jizz Patrol

• Members
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

https://sports.yahoo...-163436802.html

#4 Villain The Foe

Villain The Foe

2014 Defensive Rookie Of The Year

• Members
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:47 PM

I see what you did there Namath!

Geno_Smith_Joe_Namath_Sigh_Broadway.jpg

NYJetsScript.gif

#5 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,903 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

AHHHHH NAMATH WHYYYYYYY
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#6 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,903 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:53 PM

Quick, someone point out how multimillionaire transcendent icon who has crushed more supermodels than Leo DiCaprio and Cristiano Ronaldo combined is really just a thirsty loser drunk with Alzheimer's from their mother's Kindle.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#7 Arsis

Arsis

An Original JNer

• Members
  • 18,001 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:54 PM

I'm actually more confident about geno right now. Namath is always wrong.

#8 Villain The Foe

Villain The Foe

2014 Defensive Rookie Of The Year

• Members
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

I think "pretty good" is an accurate assessment. If I'm correct, Santonio Holmes, Jeremy Kerley and Stephen Hill only played in one or two games together all of last year. Geno had a total of 11 different targets at WR last year along with about 3 or 4 at TE and no solid back field catcher with Goodson on his 4 game suspension then on IR after his 2nd game back from suspension. 

IF Geno can get stability around Decker and Chris Johnson in the passing game his upside will be crazy. If Nelson is in fact that dark horse and Hill brings it together in his 3rd year the Jets offense can for sure be top 15-20 in the league. With our defense that spells "Playoff Contention". 

Edited by Villain The Foe, 30 June 2014 - 04:56 PM.

NYJetsScript.gif

#9 dbatesman

dbatesman

John Idzik Jizz Patrol

• Members
  • 8,557 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

Quick, someone point out how multimillionaire transcendent icon who has crushed more supermodels than Leo DiCaprio and Cristiano Ronaldo combined is really just a thirsty loser drunk with Alzheimer's from their mother's Kindle.

These are not mutually exclusive propositions.

#10 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 7,865 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

I would take pretty good QB play in a heartbeat because we haven't had that here in a long long time!

#11 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 14,525 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

Beating tomato cans in meaningless December games means EVERYTHING. 

Smith sucks. Namath is too polite to say so in 2 words.

Objective-Glendale, Arizona

Super Bowl 49-February, 2015

#12 gEYno

gEYno

2013-2014 & 2014-2015 JN Captain & VIP Member

• Members
  • 17,534 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

Joe Namath is a guy who thought Sanchez was good.

reset_buttonjpgscaled500_zps740f8923.jpg

#13 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 14,525 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

No. During "Hard Knocks" Namath pointed out a flaw in how Pick 6 took a snap,and Pick 6 treated him like a crazy old coot instead of listening. Would say the Old Guy saw something and the dip sheet ignored him. 

Objective-Glendale, Arizona

Super Bowl 49-February, 2015

#14 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,697 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Beating tomato cans in meaningless December games means EVERYTHING. 

Smith sucks. Namath is too polite to say so in 2 words.

How does Namath feel about Matt Simms?

JetNation.com

#15 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 17,915 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

his ability to convert turnovers into millions of dollars is a pretty neat trick

“I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.”

#16 gEYno

gEYno

• Members
  • 17,534 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

No. During "Hard Knocks" Namath pointed out a flaw in how Pick 6 took a snap,and Pick 6 treated him like a crazy old coot instead of listening. Would say the Old Guy saw something and the dip sheet ignored him. 

Um, yes he did.  Regardless of a 30 second exchange on Hard Knocks..

#17 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 28,697 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

This is only 1 example. From 1 year ago - May 22, 2013 (3 seasons after that Hard Knocks exchange):

Namath went all-in on supporting incumbent quarterback Mark Sanchez. “I know that Sanchez is going to play better,” he said. “He went through some major distractions last year. No matter how much you say, ‘It doesn’t bother me, that’s not a focus-breaker,’ bull. I promise you you’ll see a different guy this year."

And by "different guy," Namath means a different Sanchez, not an entirely different quarterback, though he allowed that's not completely off the table. "Even if he’s not with the Jets, he’s going to play as long as he wants to," Namath said. "He’s that good. He’ll get another job. As long as he stays healthy, he’s going to stay in the NFL."Namath went all-in on supporting incumbent quarterback Mark Sanchez. “I know that Sanchez is going to play better,” he said. “He went through some major distractions last year. No matter how much you say, ‘It doesn’t bother me, that’s not a focus-breaker,’ bull. I promise you you’ll see a different guy this year."

http://sports.yahoo....-163436802.html

JetNation.com

#18 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 26,903 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

These are not mutually exclusive propositions.

I surrender.

#19 Shadetree

Shadetree

The Voice of Reason

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

I've had enough of Namath. He's hardly an opinion that matters.

Why is his opinion always news?

Jeez. Go away, Joe.

Edited by Shadetree, 30 June 2014 - 06:03 PM.

PUT KLECKO IN CANTON

#20 kay_gee

kay_gee

full time Jets fan, part time troll

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 2,258 posts
  • Locationlive from New York

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

I've had enough of Namath. He's hardly an opinion that matters.

Why is his opinion always news?

Jeez. Go away, Joe.

as opposed to the opinion of JN forum expert analysts and every blogger under the sun? if the Jets ever have another QB who even sniffs a Super Bowl, maybe people will stop asking Joe his opinion. otherwise, enjoy Joe's opinion til he's dead.

BTW: he's not wrong. we've seen NOTHING outstanding about Geno thus far. he's been "pretty good" and could improve. OMFG HOW DARE HE POINT OUT THE PREVIOUSLY STATED AND BLATANTLY OBVIOUS!?!?

Edited by kay_gee, 30 June 2014 - 06:20 PM.

#21 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,507 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

I will take  a pretty good QB considering what we have had to deal with- over the years remains to be seen if Geno can be pretty good

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#22 Shadetree

Shadetree

The Voice of Reason

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

Oh...I don't post much, but many of my posts have stated how pathetic our QB situation is.

I'm just sick of Joe. id rather hear grudrns opinion or jaworskis opinion. I definitely would rather hear kleckos opinion for that matter. I hOpe he embarrasses himself again on national TV.

...now I have an even bigger reason to hope I'm wrong about Geno. Stick a sock in it, Joe! YOU DRUNKARD!!!!
PUT KLECKO IN CANTON

#23 kay_gee

kay_gee

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

do any other team's fans hate the players that brought them glory? or is that a special thing that is unique to New York?

#24 kay_gee

kay_gee

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

Oh...I don't post much, but many of my posts have stated how pathetic our QB situation is.

I'm just sick of Joe. id rather hear grudrns opinion or jaworskis opinion. I definitely would rather hear kleckos opinion for that matter. I hOpe he embarrasses himself again on national TV.

...now I have an even bigger reason to hope I'm wrong about Geno. Stick a sock in it, Joe! YOU DRUNKARD!!!!

you can hear Klecko's opinion on Geno on every postgame.

#25 gEYno

gEYno

• Members
  • 17,534 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

as opposed to the opinion of JN forum expert analysts and every blogger under the sun? if the Jets ever have another QB who even sniffs a Super Bowl, maybe people will stop asking Joe his opinion. otherwise, enjoy Joe's opinion til he's dead.

BTW: he's not wrong. we've seen NOTHING outstanding about Geno thus far. he's been "pretty good" and could improve. OMFG HOW DARE HE POINT OUT THE PREVIOUSLY STATED AND BLATANTLY OBVIOUS!?!?

Maybe it's that he's pointing out the blatantly obvious.  Namath has essentially become a troll, offering zero insight and making statements that will garner him attention.  He's no different than Francessa in this way, except, Joe also seems to still want to be the team mascot, and he can't have it both ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users