Namath: "Nothing to me is outstanding about Geno smith"

flgreen

This article is nonsense and everyone bashing Namath needs a Valium. He said Geno was pretty good but hasn't seen anything outstanding in his game. Argue he's wrong and give examples or you're feeding the media troll who took an honest, innocuous statement that also happens to be the opinion of virtually everyone, and giving that troll everything he wanted...clicks. Next up, three easy steps to a washboard stomach that actually cure cancer...doctors hate this! Or, ten things you should never eat...you won't believe numer three! Or, this item in your house will kill your children...one click could save their lives. Also three are singles in your area that would love to meet you. And Joe Namath says Geno Smith isn't awesome...click to see why he's such an aweful person!

Will it get me high? If so then I'm totally bashing Namath right now. 

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure his response would be something like..."the best QB out of all the QBs on this roster" ....something to that degree.

Joe Namath via Facebook
May 16 · 

"I'd get a kick out of seeing Matt Simms OR Tajh Boyd win the Jets starting QB job, but I don't expect they'll get an equal opportunity to earn it."

And I couldn't agree with Joe more.

Jets' legend Joe Namath gives rave review about rookie QB Mark Sanchez

"I hadn't seen Sanchez enough, but what I saw that night in that first series, it looks like he can do everything in terms of movement and finding receivers,"

Do any other team's players who brought them glory 40 years ago go on the air with weekly criticisms of the team?

take off your little girl panties, this wasn't even a criticism. BOOHOO NAMATH IS SOOO M-M-MEEEEEEAN TO G-G-GENOOOOO.

Maybe it's that he's pointing out the blatantly obvious.  Namath has essentially become a troll, offering zero insight and making statements that will garner him attention.  He's no different than Francessa in this way, except, Joe also seems to still want to be the team mascot, and he can't have it both ways.

being a realist and being an icon are not mutually exclusive.

I'm actually more confident about geno right now. Namath is always wrong.

He's actually usually right.  He was wrong about Sanchez, although the guy's career is not over yet.  But Joe was the first one to say that Rex thought too highly of his players, and that he should be more of an authority figure than the player's friend.  Nobody else was saying those things when Joe first said them.  And there are plenty of other instances where Joe was right as well.

Oh...I don't post much, but many of my posts have stated how pathetic our QB situation is.

I'm just sick of Joe. id rather hear grudrns opinion or jaworskis opinion. I definitely would rather hear kleckos opinion for that matter. I hOpe he embarrasses himself again on national TV.

...now I have an even bigger reason to hope I'm wrong about Geno. Stick a sock in it, Joe! YOU DRUNKARD!!!!

You may be sick of Joe,but Gruden, Jaws, Klecko are wrong probably more often than Joe so if thats your point....

BTW, if you put a subtle shade of lipstick on Joe would probably wanna kiss you too.........or more.☺

being a realist and being an icon are not mutually exclusive.

Yup.  Super realistic when he was all like "Mark Sanchez is teh awesome!!!"

And how about the quote about Taj Boyd winning the job if given a fair shot?  Do you honestly think Joe Namath has seen one throw Taj Boyd has ever made?

He's a mascot with an agenda.

I think Geno's upside is a middle of the pack NFL QB, no higher.

I hope I am wrong, but to me he does not have that IT factor that guys like Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, etc. have. I don't see him being a guy that can raise the level of those around him. I think if you put enough around him, he can not lose games for you, and make a play here or their.

I don't see him ever being the type of guy who down by 4 with 2 minutes to go in the 4th Quarter of a huge game, you are going to say, we got this, Geno is back there.

I hope to have that guy as a QB of the Jets someday before I depart this Earth.

Yup. Super realistic when he was all like "Mark Sanchez is teh awesome!!!"

And how about the quote about Taj Boyd winning the job if given a fair shot? Do you honestly think Joe Namath has seen one throw Taj Boyd has ever made?

He's a mascot with an agenda.

it's like you're incapable of any actual reading comprehension. so he was wrong about Sanchez. he was right about Rex and the fact that for the last 3 years, the Jets were an average or worse football team. he says he doesn't think Simms or Boyd will have a real chance to win the QB job. wasn't there a multitude of people bitching about how Vick wasn't going to get a fair chance?

it's like you're incapable of any actual reading comprehension. so he was wrong about Sanchez. he was right about Rex and the fact that for the last 3 years, the Jets were an average or worse football team. he says he doesn't think Simms or Boyd will have a real chance to win the QB job. wasn't there a multitude of people bitching about how Vick wasn't going to get a fair chance?

Ouch, my feelings.... Right or wrong, my point is that he takes the trolling opinion, the one that will get him the most clicks/reads/airtime/etc.  I guess it's super realistic to think that Simms or Boyd even have a shot, despite likely have 0 knowledge about one of them.

Bitching that Vick doesn't get a real shot is vastly different as Vick has proven capable of starting in the league at the very least.  And, if Namath said that, despite still trolling the organization, it would at least seem likely that Namath saw somewhere between 1 and 5 plays Michael Vick has made.

Ouch, my feelings.... Right or wrong, my point is that he takes the trolling opinion, the one that will get him the most clicks/reads/airtime/etc. I guess it's super realistic to think that Simms or Boyd even have a shot, despite likely have 0 knowledge about one of them.

Bitching that Vick doesn't get a real shot is vastly different as Vick has proven capable of starting in the league at the very least. And, if Namath said that, despite still trolling the organization, it would at least seem likely that Namath saw somewhere between 1 and 5 plays Michael Vick has made.

you mean the 1-5 plays Vick makes per season before exiting with an injury? that proven talent that has played ONE full season in the NFL?

a fair chance is a fair chance. end of story. there's nothing Geno has done where if the Jets thought Boyd/Simms was hugely better, he shouldn't get the job.

Jets fans deserve to lose endlessly. they really do. they want to hear bullsh*t and then cry when the team never wins.

you mean the 1-5 plays Vick makes per season before exiting with an injury? that proven talent that has played ONE full season in the NFL?

a fair chance is a fair chance. end of story. there's nothing Geno has done where if the Jets thought Boyd/Simms was hugely better, he shouldn't get the job.

Jets fans deserve to lose endlessly. they really do. they want to hear bullsh*t and then cry when the team never wins.

Yeah, cause that was my point about Vick... Talk about reading comp issues.

The only question left is why you're so shattered over the fact that people don't like hearing 70-year-old Cimini criticize the team every chance he gets, despite the fact that he did something good 40 years ago.

I think Geno's upside is a middle of the pack NFL QB, no higher.

I hope I am wrong, but to me he does not have that IT factor that guys like Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, etc. have. I don't see him being a guy that can raise the level of those around him. I think if you put enough around him, he can not lose games for you, and make a play here or their.

I don't see him ever being the type of guy who down by 4 with 2 minutes to go in the 4th Quarter of a huge game, you are going to say, we got this, Geno is back there.

I hope to have that guy as a QB of the Jets someday before I depart this Earth.

If anything, Brees should be the perfect example of why it's difficult to try to make a definitive evaluation of a guy like Geno this early on.  That's not to say you can't think he's going to suck, because that's certainly your prerogative, but I don't see the basis for this mysterious ceiling you seem to think exists.  Brees was considered a monumental bust through the first 3 years of his career, and absolutely nobody was talking about his "it factor" back then.  I mean hell, his numbers in his third year weren't all that far off from Geno's rookie year, which is really saying something.

Rodgers, on the other hand, was still sitting on his ass for another 2 years at this point in his career.  Of course that doesn't mean Geno is destined to ever be as good as either of those guys, but there's a difference between that and saying the best he could be is significantly worse than any of those guys.  I'm still unsure of Geno myself, but there were certainly some flashes in there, and outside of that mess of a first Pats game, he actually seemed to step up and be at his best in the close games, which is something this team hasn't seen at QB since... hell, I don't even know.

There's certainly a chance Geno winds up being a complete bust, especially since this is the freakin' Jets we're talking about after all, but I guess I'm just not buying into this concept that he's already doomed to be nothing more than mediocre-at-best.

I'm actually more confident about geno right now. Namath is always wrong.

not true suzy was lookin tight that night

Beating tomato cans in meaningless December games means EVERYTHING. 

Smith sucks. Namath is too polite to say so in 2 words.

bingo.

I've had enough of Namath. He's hardly an opinion that matters.

Why is his opinion always news?

Jeez. Go away, Joe.

like that thread about most likeable franchises proven, not even jets fans like the jets. you kids today, hating on joe willy. homerism runs so deep even the best and most accomplished player in team history gets the homer hate for not saying geno is a future HOFer. he said the guy is pretty good, which by the way is generous.

if joe namath's opinion on the jets doesn't matter, might as well close this forum because none of us deserve to ever share an opinion on the team.

Maybe it's that he's pointing out the blatantly obvious.  Namath has essentially become a troll, offering zero insight and making statements that will garner him attention.  He's no different than Francessa in this way, except, Joe also seems to still want to be the team mascot, and he can't have it both ways.

yeah when you have nothing nice to say, you stick to generalities. as bugg says he was biting his tongue and being polite.

Do any other team's players who brought them glory 40 years ago go on the air with weekly criticisms of the team?

like it or not joe IS the new york jets. more so than any guy currently on the team. and it'll be that way likely forever.

This +1

I'm tired of Namath, is it me or does he struggle to put a sentence together half the time and is proud of himself when he does. It's not much different then listening to John Madden at the end of his broadcasting career:

"You know if if if if the quarterback...if the quarterback throws the ball in the in the in the endzone and they catch it....ITS A TOUCHDOWN"

Thanks Madden!

how can a jets fans be sick on joe namath? he is the only jets player that the casual fan could even identify. he is the jets.

Namath, your big mouth is outstanding! Never let's an opportunity go by to make a fool out of himself. Thanks for the indepth scouting report, Mr. Irrelevant.

again, he could've told the truth and said "kid doesn't have it" wonder how the board would've reacted to that.

If anything, Brees should be the perfect example of why it's difficult to try to make a definitive evaluation of a guy like Geno this early on.  That's not to say you can't think he's going to suck, because that's certainly your prerogative, but I don't see the basis for this mysterious ceiling you seem to think exists.  Brees was considered a monumental bust through the first 3 years of his career, and absolutely nobody was talking about his "it factor" back then.  I mean hell, his numbers in his third year weren't all that far off from Geno's rookie year, which is really saying something.

Rodgers, on the other hand, was still sitting on his ass for another 2 years at this point in his career.  Of course that doesn't mean Geno is destined to ever be as good as either of those guys, but there's a difference between that and saying the best he could be is significantly worse than any of those guys.  I'm still unsure of Geno myself, but there were certainly some flashes in there, and outside of that mess of a first Pats game, he actually seemed to step up and be at his best in the close games, which is something this team hasn't seen at QB since... hell, I don't even know.

There's certainly a chance Geno winds up being a complete bust, especially since this is the freakin' Jets we're talking about after all, but I guess I'm just not buying into this concept that he's already doomed to be nothing more than mediocre-at-best.

comparing brees and rodgers to geno haha. geno's upside is ryan fitzpatrick, and even that is unlikely.

Quick, someone point out how multimillionaire transcendent icon who has crushed more supermodels than Leo DiCaprio and Cristiano Ronaldo combined is really just a thirsty loser drunk with Alzheimer's from their mother's Kindle.

To be fair, there is a reason that no one pays Namath for his football insights and it has nothing to with anything you posted. Its because when he did get paid for it he was ******* terrible at it. 

comparing brees and rodgers to geno haha. geno's upside is ryan fitzpatrick, and even that is unlikely.

Or perhaps I was simply pointing out the flaws in the comparison that was already being made.  But don't let a little thing like reality get in the way, especially not when you can just throw out another nonsensically baseless "upside" remark to really drive the point home.

Hey guys, Clowney's upside is Gholston, amirite or amirite?!?

Archived