Namath: "Nothing to me is outstanding about Geno smith"

flgreen

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Namath should shut up. He has criticized the Jets way to much for a former Super Bowl 3 MVP. go drink a beer Joe Namath.

Please no more criticism this is probably why the Jets don't ask for Mr.Namaths opinions. He is proving to be more of a Clown. Old Geezer should shut up

yeah jets don't care about namath, that's why rex invites him to training camp, might as well do a caption this:

ap-joe-namath-rex-ryanjpg-549ed518be3586

Joe: "Yeah, I banged that hot blonde over there." Rex: "Uh that's Chris Simms, Joe."

Namath said nothing inflammatory in this piece- another example of the media trying to create trouble

I don't know.  

This is the QB that the team presently believes in (they fed this line to at least 2 FAs for certain - Vick and Decker - and backed those words up by not drafting another QB when the opportunities presented themselves). Saying of this QB that absolutely "nothing is outstanding [about his game]" is inflammatory, even if he believes it and even if he's right.  

Saying this statement after his opinion is validated (after he's benched for good, is cut or not-renewed because he sucks, or is out of the league) would be an example of saying nothing inflammatory.  Or saying he hasn't yet shown that he can be better than pretty good, and we'll see what he's truly capable of soon enough, is another way of doing it.  But flat out saying the QB does nothing outstanding is inflammatory.

I don't have an issue with it, as it's a legitimate opinion to have, but an ambassador or representative (of sorts) for the team - and that's what he is whether he or the team cares to officially acknowledge or admit it - saying the QB they believe in does absolutely nothing outstanding is inflammatory even if he does walk it back somewhat with later statements.

yeah jets don't care about namath, that's why rex invites him to training camp, might as well do a caption this:

Joe: "Yeah, I banged that hot blonde over there." Rex: "Uh that's Chris Simms, Joe."

LOL, that was funny!

I don't know.  

This is the QB that the team presently believes in (they fed this line to at least 2 FAs for certain - Vick and Decker - and backed those words up by not drafting another QB when the opportunities presented themselves). Saying of this QB that absolutely "nothing is outstanding [about his game]" is inflammatory, even if he believes it and even if he's right.  

Saying this statement after his opinion is validated (after he's benched for good, is cut or not-renewed because he sucks, or is out of the league) would be an example of saying nothing inflammatory.  Or saying he hasn't yet shown that he can be better than pretty good, and we'll see what he's truly capable of soon enough, is another way of doing it.  But flat out saying the QB does nothing outstanding is inflammatory.

I don't have an issue with it, as it's a legitimate opinion to have, but an ambassador or representative (of sorts) for the team - and that's what he is whether he or the team cares to officially acknowledge or admit it - saying the QB they believe in does absolutely nothing outstanding is inflammatory even if he does walk it back somewhat with later statements.

I agree with this, and its clear that Joe is not drinking the Herman/Rex Kool-Aid. Joe better watch his back, that stance pisses off Jet fans!

I agree with this, and its clear that Joe is not drinking the Herman/Rex Kool-Aid. Joe better watch his back, that stance pisses off Jet fans!

He had the polar opposite stance with regards to Sanchez, so it's also valid for fans to not-blindly adopt his assessment of who is and who isn't the goods at QB.

People who think well of Smith will continue to until his chances are up.  Those who think poorly will continue to whether Joe thinks as he does or not.  Many of the same coming to Joe's defense didn't lavish him with, "He knows what the hell he's talking about" compliments when he was saying for years how marvelous Mark Sanchez was.

He had the polar opposite stance with regards to Sanchez, so it's also valid for fans to not-blindly adopt his assessment of who is and who isn't the goods at QB.

People who think well of Smith will continue to until his chances are up.  Those who think poorly will continue to whether Joe thinks as he does or not.  Many of the same coming to Joe's defense didn't lavish him with, "He knows what the hell he's talking about" compliments when he was saying for years how marvelous Mark Sanchez was.

Interesting, I don't ever recall Joe saying how wonderful Sanchez was. I am not saying it did not happen, I just don't recall it. My recollection was he thought he had potential, but I always recall hearing Joe actually talking negatively about Sanchez, in terms of, he needs to imrpove this, he needs to work on this, etc. But I don't follow Joe that closely. He amuses me from time to time, but I really don't care that much what he has to say.

Interesting, I don't ever recall Joe saying how wonderful Sanchez was. I am not saying it did not happen, I just don't recall it. My recollection was he thought he had potential, but I always recall hearing Joe actually talking negatively about Sanchez, in terms of, he needs to imrpove this, he needs to work on this, etc. But I don't follow Joe that closely. He amuses me from time to time, but I really don't care that much what he has to say.

He was still speaking lovingly of Sanchez 1 year ago, saying he'd be in the league for as long as he wants because "he's just that good." (I believe those were his exact words, more or less).

I don't know.  

Oh sh*t... It's the THOUGHT POLICE...

Joe is trying to stay relevant man, he's a self promoter. Got a website and a gig on EPSN radio during the season. He's gotta stay in the public, he uses the Jets to promote his opinions and then wants the Jets to treat him like our mascot Can't have it both ways Willie. I don't blame woody for not treating him like he's our Yogi. And I enjoy listening to him on the radio but its a little early to start picking on Geno but the dude loves the 3rd string QB's from cheese steak land

Does anyone "think well" of Geno?  Seems to me the "Geno Lovers" are people who think it's too soon to tell about a 2nd round QB who was taking his first snaps under center, should not have been starting, came from the spread offense, and played with arguably the leagues worst receiving core when healthy, and definitely the leagues worst when unhealthy, who went 8-4 when he at the very minimum had his slot receiver out there, and who showed improvement over the course of the year.

HOLY sh*t GENO LOVER IN THE BUILDING!!!!

A lot can, and seemingly did, change in 4 years... Including most notably, Rex's waistline.

Does anyone "think well" of Geno?  Seems to me the "Geno Lovers" are people who think it's too soon to tell about a 2nd round QB who was taking his first snaps under center, should not have been starting, came from the spread offense, and played with arguably the leagues worst receiving core when healthy, and definitely the leagues worst when unhealthy, who went 8-4 when he at the very minimum had his slot receiver out there, and who showed improvement over the course of the year.

You love him.

tumblr_lmtfqqB37S1qza49co1_500.png

what does Joe Willy know about football anyway. Sheesh it's not like he's in the hall of fame. Oh... wait... he is actually . 

btw this seems like a good thread to plop this article 

Now that NFL listicle season is in full flower, ESPN's Mike Sando is out with one of those rankings of all of the league's quarterbacks that's designed specifically to get fans of every team to pass around and go, "OMG!"

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Say, have you seen my list of studs and duds from the Jets' OTAs and minicamp?

Anyway, Sando polled 26 NFL insiders—identified only as "[e]ight general managers, two former GMs, four pro personnel evaluators, seven coordinators, two head coaches, two position coaches, and a top executive"—to rank every starting QB from No. 1 to No. 32. Sando's insiders graded each QB on a scale of one to five, with one being best and five being worst.

And, as the headline atop this post already told you, Geno Smith of Your New York Jets came in dead last. Your iPhone made a similar assessment last season, albeit before Smith's strong finish. But now? In a league in which Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Hoyer are veteran starters?

In the ESPN poll, Smith's league-worst average score was 4.48. Sando writes:

It's too early to write off Smith. Some coaches in particular had a hard time placing any QBs in the fifth tier. To them, a Tier 5 QB would be a backup, not a starter.

"Would a five be an Akili Smith or JaMarcus Russell?" one coordinator asked. "I think the way Geno Smith played last year was close to that. He was a rookie and he struggled and some of his reads were poor, but I would give him a four."

"He is young enough to make a move," a pro personnel evaluator said.

That "too early to write off Smith" bit is important to keep in mind. Sure, Smith's Total QBR was a lowly 35.9. But he was a rookie who had to start all 16 games, and we all know how difficult it is to evaluate quarterbacks' futures based on their rookie seasons.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/07/geno_smith_is_nfls_worst_quarterback_says_poll_of_espn_insiders.html

what does Joe Willy know about football anyway. Sheesh it's not like he's in the hall of fame. Oh... wait... he is actually . 

I wonder where this hall of fame aptitude was when he was heaping praise on Mark Sanchez?

You know, for all the crap you spout out about how you don't think well of Geno, you seem to justify a lot of his suckage. Anyway the main problem I have with Geno is that he showed hardly anything to justify him being the starter next year. The fact of that matter remains that we passed on Bridgewater, Carr, and Manziel to give this idiot a chance. If even one of those qbs make it, smh.

You know, for all the crap you spout out about how you don't think well of Geno, you seem to justify a lot of his suckage. Anyway the main problem I have with Geno is that he showed hardly anything to justify him being the starter next year. The fact of that matter remains that we passed on Bridgewater, Carr, and Manziel because none of them have more upside than Geno - FACT. 

Fixed. 

Bear in mind this does not mean that I think Geno is necessarily better than any of those guys, it's that I don't think any of those guys is necessarily any better than Geno. And I'm pretty sure the Jets scouting department felt the same way and that's probably why they didn't waste a pick on any of them and instead took the best safety available. 

Fixed. 

Bear in mind this does not mean that I think Geno is necessarily better than any of those guys, it's that I don't think any of those guys is necessarily any better than Geno. And I'm pretty sure the Jets scouting department felt the same way and that's probably why they didn't waste a pick on any of them and instead took the best safety available. 

I hope he was the best player available because picking the best safety available is a really stupid way to run a draft.

You know, for all the crap you spout out about how you don't think well of Geno, you seem to justify a lot of his suckage. Anyway the main problem I have with Geno is that he showed hardly anything to justify him being the starter next year. The fact of that matter remains that we passed on Bridgewater, Carr, and Manziel to give this idiot a chance. If even one of those qbs make it, smh.

Most of the "crap spout" is factual information regarding the circumstances around last season.

I would have been perfectly happy with an upgrade at the position if that upgrade existed.  Instead, we had the option of not improving the team in the first round and rolling the dice long-shot project QB.  I'd rather roll with Geno with some new weapons and then take Mariota/Winston next year if it's a flop.

He's an old man with millions of dollars who doesn't need a dime of Woody's money and gets asked nine million inane Jets questions everywhere he goes. Good for him if he wants to give his opinion, whether or not it's "inflammatory" to some weak-kneed fans. Joe Namath, as an icon, is bigger than the Jets franchise is in its entirety.

He's an old man with millions of dollars who doesn't need a dime of Woody's money and gets asked nine million inane Jets questions everywhere he goes. Good for him if he wants to give his opinion, whether or not it's "inflammatory" to some weak-kneed fans. Joe Namath, as an icon, is bigger than the Jets franchise is in its entirety.

By "everywhere he goes," I assume you're including "on ESPN weekly."

Archived