Namath: "Nothing to me is outstanding about Geno smith"

flgreen

He seeks out publicity, I don't think the media is knocking on his door everyday  looking for the holly one's opinions. He has a weekly show on ESPN and its not about money, its about still being in the spotlight staying relevant. I don't hate Joe just don't act all suprised when the Jets treat you like you are part of the media. You work for Kay, the dumbest NFL  NY radio host. Steve Sommer's knows more about the NFL then Kay and that's bad

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nfl/joe-namath-net-worth/

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the "crap spout" is factual information regarding the circumstances around last season.

I would have been perfectly happy with an upgrade at the position if that upgrade existed.  Instead, we had the option of not improving the team in the first round and rolling the dice long-shot project QB.  I'd rather roll with Geno with some new weapons and then take Mariota/Winston next year if it's a flop.

Winston has been on the back page for all sorts of great things like sexual assault, shoplifting. Wonder what Joe thinks of him?

I wonder where this hall of fame aptitude was when he was heaping praise on Mark Sanchez?

OMG he was wrong! Like about 90% of the JN posters.

Winston has been on the back page for all sorts of great things like sexual assault, shoplifting. Wonder what Joe thinks of him?

OMG he was wrong! Like about 90% of the JN posters.

Most JN posters were a bit more savvy to sanchez than the hall of famer who's apparently right because he's a hall of famer, as that was exactly what I was responding to.

Most JN posters were a bit more savvy to sanchez than the hall of famer who's apparently right because he's a hall of famer, as that was exactly what I was responding to.

Joe wasnt the only guy in the industry thinking Sanchez would be pretty good. You act like he drafted him.

Problem for him is if he praises picks or players its blatant homerism. If he is critical, its Joe looking for attention or worse, he must be hitting the juice again.

Joe wasnt the only guy in the industry thinking Sanchez would be pretty good. You act like he drafted him.

Problem for him is if he praises picks or players its blatant homerism. If he is critical, its Joe looking for attention or worse, he must be hitting the juice again.

That's not the issue at all. But I'm done repeating myself, so I'll leave it there.

Most of the "crap spout" is factual information regarding the circumstances around last season.

I would have been perfectly happy with an upgrade at the position if that upgrade existed.  Instead, we had the option of not improving the team in the first round and rolling the dice long-shot project QB.  I'd rather roll with Geno with some new weapons and then take Mariota/Winston next year if it's a flop.

Strongly doubt either of those guys will be as pro ready as Bridgewater was. Not to mention the fact that our defense will probably carry us to another 8-8 season, thus knocking us out of the running. 

Fixed. 

Bear in mind this does not mean that I think Geno is necessarily better than any of those guys, it's that I don't think any of those guys is necessarily any better than Geno. And I'm pretty sure the Jets scouting department felt the same way and that's probably why they didn't waste a pick on any of them and instead took the best safety available. 

You know who also had more upside then any of these players, Jamarcus Russel. We all know how that turned out right. BTW, have you seen Manning or Brady run, this whole upside crap is ridiculous. Give me a qb who can read a defense and I'll be happy.

You know, for all the crap you spout out about how you don't think well of Geno, you seem to justify a lot of his suckage. Anyway the main problem I have with Geno is that he showed hardly anything to justify him being the starter next year. The fact of that matter remains that we passed on Bridgewater, Carr, and Manziel to give this idiot a chance. If even one of those qbs make it, smh.

Thank you for reminding us what an idiot Idzik is.  The more I read these posts about Namath's assessment of Eugene, the sicker and the more distraught I feel about the man who holds the Jet future in his hands who drafted this moron.   

since when does an opinion have to be right for one to have the right to express it?

No one is saying Namath doesn't have the right to state his opinion. People are questioning the stock some put in his opinions.

ah ok. i also question namath's opinion on this one--i think he is going way too easy on geno.

since when does an opinion have to be right for one to have the right to express it?

Pretty much Klecko said it.  But on top of that, I was responding to Bitonti's (not uncharacteristically outlandish) claim that because he's a Hall of Famer, his opinion is truth.

If I go by what I saw last year I think Namath is right on.

If I go by all the stories the Jets PR department has pumped out all offseason, I think he is crazy.

Hopefully Smith has truly gotten better this offseason, and this isn't just another bad QB the Jets are trying to dress up to the fans all offseason through the media.

If I go by what I saw last year I think Namath is right on.

If I go by all the stories the Jets PR department has pumped out all offseason, I think he is crazy.

Hopefully Smith has truly gotten better this offseason, and this isn't just another bad QB the Jets are trying to dress up to the fans all offseason through the media.

It wouldn't make sense. We had opportunities to take a number of other QBs and didn't. And unlike Sanchez, the Jets (Idzik) weren't that heavily invested in Smith. If their QBC and OC, both of whom have coached successful QBs before, felt he was bad or hopeless, it would make little sense for Idzik to bet his one big chance on every coach of his being wrong.

They could all be really saying (privately to Idzik) that he sucks. But then what would be the point of seeking their opinions and then not take a QB when all but one was available to him?

Point is I think they're either being honest that they think he could be decent or better, or they think he's bad but didnt like any of this year's higher-ranked QB prospects either. Or Idzik is purposely saddling Ryan with a QB they all agree stinks so he can justify firing him to Woody. Possible, but wholly unlikely as even Woody would catch wind of his pet coach getting purposely sabotaged.

So I think they actually like him. Or they like him better than this year's other options anyway.

It wouldn't make sense. We had opportunities to take a number of other QBs and didn't. And unlike Sanchez, the Jets (Idzik) weren't that heavily invested in Smith. If their QBC and OC, both of whom have coached successful QBs before, felt he was bad or hopeless, it would make little sense for Idzik to bet his one big chance on every coach of his being wrong.

They could all be really saying (privately to Idzik) that he sucks. But then what would be the point of seeking their opinions and then not take a QB when all but one was available to him?

Point is I think they're either being honest that they think he could be decent or better, or they think he's bad but didnt like any of this year's higher-ranked QB prospects either. Or Idzik is purposely saddling Ryan with a QB they all agree stinks so he can justify firing him to Woody. Possible, but wholly unlikely as even Woody would catch wind of his pet coach getting purposely sabotaged.

So I think they actually like him. Or they like him better than this year's other options anyway.

My only point is that on the field, up to this point Namath is right. There could be a million reasons why they didn't take another QB, including, like you said, they are telling the truth and Smith got better. Our OC has been around some great QB's. He has also sh*t the bed when it came to running things himself. So I'm just going to go ahead and wait and see.

Are we really talking about listning to the jets pr/fo when it comes to their own player? LOL Seriously? What would you think they would say?

Yeah he sucks, but our dumbass fans will continue to support the team no matter what.

They said the same sh*t about Nacho-Taco and look how that turned out. 

The kid sucks and we all know it. Just fooling ourselves until Mid-Late Nov when the Pats have the division wrapped up. Then we root against them. Pretty ****in sad. Then we start talking about the draft. Then we start talking about how this is the year. We have such a young talented team etc. Prediction threads come out and posters write, "I can really see us going 10-6-11-5" LOL. They'll type out the schedule and have us winning 5-6 in row when everyone knows its never going to happen. Then the season comes and by Thanksgiving we're rooting against someone else because we suck.

I don't pay much attention to what Joe says anymore. I mean why do people constantly interview this guy as if he was an insider? He is far from an insider to the Jets these days. He bad mouths most of the moves the team makes and none of the QB's the Jets have had over the years since have been good enough to do what he did. Although I would prefer my heroic icons to remain silent if they have nothing good to say, Joe just seems to enjoy tweaking the team and owner Woody Johnson.

Archived