ESPN POLL OF NFL EXECS NAMES GENO SMITH "WORST" STARTING QB IN NFL.

T0mShane

Do the Jets have the worst starting quarterback in the NFL?

According to a new ESPN poll, they do. Jets starter Geno Smith came in 32nd, dead last, in the league in a poll of 26 NFL insiders. ESPN spoke with coaches, general managers and other executives and had them rank the league’s starting quarterbacks on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being the best.

Smith’s 4.48 average was the worst in the group, lower than such legends as Matt Cassel, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chad Henne.

Here is what ESPN’s write-up on Smith said:

“It’s too early to write off Smith. Some coaches in particular had a hard time placing any QBs in the fifth tier. To them, a Tier 5 QB would be a backup, not a starter.

‘Would a five be an Akili Smith or JaMarcus Russell?” one coordinator asked. “I think the way Geno Smith played last year was close to that. He was a rookie and he struggled and some of his reads were poor, but I would give him a four.’

‘He is young enough to make a move,’ a pro personnel evaluator said.”

Smith committed 25 turnovers and was the lowest-rated passer in the NFL last year as a rookie, but he showed promise in the final month of the season when he began running the ball more and made better decisions.

The Jets brought in Michael Vick to back up Smith this offseason and he could replace Smith if he struggles.

This ranking surely will be a battle cry for Jets coach Rex Ryan, who loves slights from the media. Last year, ESPN ranked the Jets as the worst team in the NFL before the season. Ryan and the players referenced it throughout the campaign as they surprised people by going 8-8.

Count on this: If Smith has a good game in Week 1 against the Raiders, Ryan’s postgame press conference will feature a line like, “Not bad for the worst quarterback in the NFL.”

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm obviously biased but I'm surprised how many of you are ready to write Geno off after one year.

That's because we sat through this organization living in denial for 4 years prior. And what you learn with something like that is that a year is a long, long time.

That's because we sat through this organization living in denial for 4 years prior. And what you learn with something like that is that a year is a long, long time.

Word. You just gotta hope Mornhinweg has a timetable (6 games?) wherein Geno plays himself into or out of the job. Enough with the pussy footing

Word. You just gotta hope Mornhinweg has a timetable (6 games?) wherein Geno plays himself into or out of the job. Enough with the pussy footing

We are already there though, aren't we? I think it's a mistake to give him the job anyways, and I think it shows Rex didn't learn anything from the Sanchez era. Smith did nothing in 2013 to justify having the job handed to him for 2014.

We are already there though, aren't we? I think it's a mistake to give him the job anyways, and I think it shows Rex didn't learn anything from the Sanchez era. Smith did nothing in 2013 to justify having the job handed to him for 2014.

Ehhh, you give him 6 games with Decker, a healthy Kerley and Cumberland, and Chris Johnson. If he can't put up an 80 rating in that time, you go Ol' Yeller on him. Honestly, I don't think Rex will factor into who plays QB at any given time this year. That's Idzik and Mornhinweg in a film room with David Lee making that call. Rex will find out when Manish tells him.

Ehhh, you give him 6 games with Decker, a healthy Kerley and Cumberland, and Chris Johnson. If he can't put up an 80 rating in that time, you go Ol' Yeller on him. Honestly, I don't think Rex will factor into who plays QB at any given time this year. That's Idzik and Mornhinweg in a film room with David Lee making that call. Rex will find out when Manish tells him.

That's fine and dandy. I was speaking more in terms of camp.

Archived