Who likes pulled pork?

joebabyny

See the streaks of red? That is the smoke ring, no bull$hit crock pot pork here!

pulledporkparty4.jpg

Berkshire pork butts fresh from the smoker and before being pulled to delicious pieces

pulledporkparty1.jpg

The scene of what will shortly be some straight roman food orgy debauchery!

pulledporkparty2.jpg

See the streaks of red? That is the smoke ring, no bull$hit crock pot pork here!

pulledporkparty4.jpg

Berkshire pork butts fresh from the smoker and before being pulled to delicious pieces

pulledporkparty1.jpg

pulledporkparty2.jpg

You must love life. It comes through in the pork belly! 

You must love life. It comes through in the pork belly! 

I enjoy the cooking process for sure. I hardly ever enjoy the results, I never eat when I cook, don't know if I am too tired at the end or just fed up with it after going through the process.

as u know Joe, us Southern boys luv us some pulled pork ;)

pulledporkparty4.jpg

pulledporkparty1.jpg

pulledporkparty2.jpg

I've been eating catered Dinosaur BBQ pulled pork for about 4 days straight, pretty much the greatest stuff ever. Smoked, moist, delicious, just gets better each new day it's leftover in the fridge.

I find the smoke flavor sometimes intensifies the next day. Not a bad thing!

Not to much of a fan of BBQ nowadays(bc it usually sucks in NJ).....but I will destroy that mac n cheese

Well, my Que does not suck. As for the Mac-n-cheese, there is no roux or bechamel in there to muddy the cheese flavor. It is all cheese, a little milk, and a pinch of science to keep the sauce from breaking without having to resort to flour. I am working on cheese blends now to figure out my signature blend. I also add little chorizo meatballs to it as well.

Well, my Que does not suck. As for the Mac-n-cheese, there is no roux or bechamel in there to muddy the cheese flavor. It is all cheese, a little milk, and a pinch of science to keep the sauce from breaking without having to resort to flour. I am working on cheese blends now to figure out my signature blend. I also add little chorizo meatballs to it as well.

The thought of Chorizo n Mac just tightened up my pants a little bit.

Dinosaur BBQ in Newark......you're welcome

Not gonna hate on Dino as it is ok, but I feel there are others doing worlds better that don't get the recognition Dino gets. But in NJ, I don't have any better suggestions. At least not yet :winking0001: :winking0001: :winking0001:

Not gonna hate on Dino as it is ok, but I feel there are others doing worlds better that don't get the recognition Dino gets. But in NJ, I don't have any better suggestions. At least not yet :winking0001: :winking0001: :winking0001:

Dino NJ is def not up to the standards of the NY-based (upstate especially) Dino's. It's the best we have got in these parts, but I'm ready for a competitor to open up. We can do better than what they're offering....or Newark's Dino location can just get up to speed. I got the pulled pork on a salad for takeout the other night and it was a joke. They didn't give me bleu cheese dressing on the side, they packed up half a fistfull of bleu cheese, and the meat itself was 3-4 oz, pathetic. It's a testament to just how BBQ-starved we are around here that they get away with this. You eat in, and it's different. There is zero BBQ culture in NJ...we think that throwing dogs and burgers on a grill counts, and southerners just come up here, hear that, and laugh. Newark's ribs though, and smoked wings, are pretty solid. BTW I was eating the Syracuse location all weekend. Their pork, vs Newark's pork, is night and day.

Dino NJ is def not up to the standards of the NY-based (upstate especially) Dino's. It's the best we have got in these parts, but I'm ready for a competitor to open up. We can do better than what they're offering....or Newark's Dino location can just get up to speed. I got the pulled pork on a salad for takeout the other night and it was a joke. They didn't give me bleu cheese dressing on the side, they packed up half a fistfull of bleu cheese, and the meat itself was 3-4 oz, pathetic. It's a testament to just how BBQ-starved we are around here that they get away with this. You eat in, and it's different. There is zero BBQ culture in NJ...we think that throwing dogs and burgers on a grill counts, and southerners just come up here, hear that, and laugh. Newark's ribs though, and smoked wings, are pretty solid. BTW I was eating the Syracuse location all weekend. Their pork, vs Newark's pork, is night and day.

Yeah, my biggest peeve with the Dino restaurants is consistency of quality, or lack of. I have been to the Brooklyn and Uptown outposts a few times and meals have range from quite decent to appalling.

I am hoping to be doing something in NJ by next summer, just trying to find the capital to do so.

Yeah, my biggest peeve with the Dino restaurants is consistency of quality, or lack of. I have been to the Brooklyn and Uptown outposts a few times and meals have range from quite decent to appalling.

I am hoping to be doing something in NJ by next summer, just trying to find the capital to do so.

Question.....you do a nice job on tailgates, and I think that you were showing a catering job above, but how would you keep the level of quality on a larger scale, a la Dino? What is your vision? Is it that size or smaller and more intimate?

Question.....you do a nice job on tailgates, and I think that you were showing a catering job above, but how would you keep the level of quality on a larger scale, a la Dino? What is your vision? Is it that size or smaller and more intimate?

My idea for my initial place will be smaller and more authentic to true bbq. As far as quality, that is always paramount with what I do, no matter the scale. It can be done, it just takes more work, and money, to do. But I feel people will pay for a quality product. Don't want to lay out my whole business plan here on a public forum, especially since all my posts pop up in google search so easily, but I have some definite ideas and thoughts on the matter.

joebaby....your BBQ looks awesome.....hope to join your tailgate at a game this year and give it a try.  And to apologize in advance, I will be the guy with my face shoved in your mac n cheese.

I've been favoring pulled over chopped lately. It goes back and forth when you are as old as I am ;)

I've been loving on the Banana Pudding at my fave Raleigh Southern Food place, 'The Pit'

Cold pudding wit ha warm meringue on top to even off cold/hot..

Pit website: http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/grub/menu.php?p=dinner-menu

I love the southern veggies they serve also..

I saw a tailgate video of someone pulling pork with a 3 or 4-pronged electric drill attachment.  Was that you?   And if so, is it something you made?

there is a video of me on my youtube channel doing that. It is called the roman pork puller. Google it.

• 1 month later...

Good stuff man, looks like your Que skills are improving!

Yeah big time. It's amazing what a summer's worth of experience can do. In total that was like a 12-hour smoke and it was a breeze. The one thing that I've learned is to just let the smoker do the work. If you buy a good cut, use quality ingredients for the rubs, and keep up with the wood, everything always seems to come out awesome.

Archived