Chris Johnson Once Said He Could Beat Usain Bolt In The 40

kelticwizard

Bolt can't beat most of his peers in 40 yds. I'm not saying Johnson would beat him, but Bolt is always behind early and then flies past everyone. If CJ could get a great start could Bolt catch up

In 40 yds (~36 meters)? I'd say yes but CJ thinks no. Or at least he did 6 yrs ago

I think it is more likely that Johnson beats Bolt in a 40 than Rajon Rondo beats Johnson. 

Celtics Guard Rajon Rondo Wants a Crack at Titans Speedster Chris Johnson
by John Beattie on Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 6:09PM
Share this: Fancred

The fastest man in the NFL gets challenged every Sunday by defensive lineman, linebackers and defensive backs. Now, Tennessee Titans running back and NFL rushing leader Chris Johnson might have a new challenger in Celtics guard Rajon Rondo. According to Johnson's Twitter page, Rondo recently told Celtics teammate and Johnson friend Marquis Daniels that he feels he can beat Johnson in a foot race. On Tuesday, Johnson responded to the challenge on his Twitter page: "My bradda @lambo6 (Daniels) called me and said they point [guard] Rondo want to race me for 2k that's easy money set it up on espn." Johnson leads the NFL in rushing yards with 1,396 and is averaging 126.9 yards per game. The second-year running back out of East Carolina excelled in track and field in high school where he ran a 10.38 in the 100-meter event.

I think the Jets are at least expecting 1,000 yards both running and receiving together.  They'll certainly love to have more, but I think the Chris Johnson experiment will be considered a success if he gets 1,000 combined running and receiving.

I think the Jets are at least expecting 1,000 yards both running and receiving together.  They'll certainly love to have more, but I think the Chris Johnson experiment will be considered a success if he gets 1,000 combined running and receiving.

Bilal Powell led the team with 969 combined years last season. I suspect the Jets are expecting significantly more than than from Chris Johnson. I'd put the success threshold at closer to 1500 total yards.

Ehh highly doubtful. Bolt ran the first 40m of his 100m race in 4.65 seconds, which when corrected for reaction time is equal to 4.45 (assuming a human reaction time of .2 seconds). When you convert from meters to yards it works out to be something closer to 4.1 seconds. Sure, Bolt may be slower than his peers in the forty, but all of those guys would also smoke Johnson.

Not that any of this matters, we didn't exactly sign Johnson to split the atom.

Ehh highly doubtful. Bolt ran the first 40m of his 100m race in 4.65 seconds, which when corrected for reaction time is equal to 4.45 (assuming a human reaction time of .2 seconds). When you convert from meters to yards it works out to be something closer to 4.1 seconds. Sure, Bolt may be slower than his peers in the forty, but all of those guys would also smoke Johnson.

Not that any of this matters, we didn't exactly sign Johnson to split the atom.

...and no one else has Usain Bolt at LB chasing him down the sideline either.

But I was reading an article just now about it (it got a lot of fanfare when CJ made the proclamation).  It's hard to say exactly because of 3 things:

1. Bolt had to time his start from a gun. That first fraction of a second of his race is a measure of his reaction time more than his speed.  While the NFL combine way is more accurate in this regard, it's a disadvantage for Bolt.

2. Bolt used starting blocks. This is an advantage for Bolt.  If it wasn't, then track & field sprinters wouldn't use them.  At the combine, they don't use sprinters' starting blocks.  I don't know how much faster Bolt's first 40 yards would be, but it would be measurable.

3. Chris Johnson's 40 time was run on FieldTurf.  Bolt on a track.  One is rubber grass, the other is like a super low-pile rubber carpet.  The rubber grass will certainly have more friction and can only slow down a runner as his shoe grazes through the rubber grass blades.  It's another advantage for Bolt.

Summary: they're both really freaking fast. Unless Bolt agreed to run a 40 at an NFL combine while he was in his prime, there's no way to no for sure. And he'd have to be dumber than sh*t to accept a challenge from someone with nothing to lose for CJ and plenty to lose for Bolt. 

Archived