NFL Supplemental draft Thursday

faba

• By Mike Huguenin
  • College Football 24/7 writer
  • Published: July 9, 2014 at 11:56 a.m.
  • Updated: July 9, 2014 at 01:13 p.m.

There will be four players available in Thursday's 2014 NFL Supplemental Draft, and each is far from a household name.

»

The quartet, per NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport: New Mexico wide receiver Chase Clayton, North Carolina linebacker Darius Lipford, Virginia-Lynchburg defensive tackle LaKendrick Ross and SMU running back Traylon Shead.

» 2014 NFL supplemental mock draft

Clayton (6-foot-3, 202 pounds), who is from the Los Angeles area, was electrifying as a kick returner in 2012, averaging 30.4 yards on 20 returns and scoring twice. But he had just six receptions in three seasons with the Lobos. Clayton, who also saw time as a backup running back during his career, missed a lot of action last season with a knee injury.

Lipford (6-3, 255) -- who was listed on North Carolina's 2014 roster Wednesday -- had been expected to be a starter for UNC this season. He had 75 tackles, 2.5 sacks and 7.5 tackles for loss for the Tar Heels in three seasons; he missed the 2012 season with a knee injury.

Ross (6-5, 360) could interest some teams because of his size. He played his high school ball in Norfolk, Va., and received some recruiting attention from FBS schools before ending up at Virginia-Lynchburg, a Division II program, because of academics. He also missed the 2012 season for academic reasons.

Shead (6-2, 230) signed with Texas out of high school in 2010. He was a consensus top-15 running back nationally out of tiny Cayuga (Texas) High, where he set a state high school record for career TDs (141) and was second all-time in state history in rushing yards (10,291). He signed with Texas in February 2010, redshirted that fall, then played sparingly in 2011 (five games, no carries). He transferred to Navarro College in 2012, where he rushed for 1,194 yards and 17 touchdowns, then signed with SMU in December 2012. He was expected to start for the Mustangs last season, but injuries and mediocre play kept him on the bench.

Six players were eligible for the 2013 NFL Supplemental Draft, but none were selected.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Before this happens tomorrow, and everyone goes ape-sh*t about how many DL we have, and which one we're going to let walk, consider the possibility that Ross becomes the next 6th round DL convert to transition to the OL. 

A flyer in the 6th wouldn't be so bad...  If I am understanding this correctly if the Jets take him in the supplemental draft in the 6th round they have essentailly made next years sixth round pick.... He at least looking at the measurables looks like he may be worth the roll of the dice...

Before this happens tomorrow, and everyone goes ape-sh*t about how many DL we have, and which one we're going to let walk, consider the possibility that Ross becomes the next 6th round DL convert to transition to the OL. 

But at that height and wingspan wouldn't he be playing OT if your hypothesis is correct?  if it is we seem to be set at that position not withstanding concerns some peopla have about Brick at LT.  Going further with your thought I would like to see if the kid can play guard if that can be a suitable position for him on the OL.

But at that height and wingspan wouldn't he be playing OT if your hypothesis is correct?  if it is we seem to be set at that position not withstanding concerns some peopla have about Brick at LT.  Going further with your thought I would like to see if the kid can play guard if that can be a suitable position for him on the OL.

How are the Jets set at OT?  They have an aging D-Brick on the left side, and a hold the fort guy on the right,  Not much behind either of them

Ferguson is 30 years old.  Hardly aging.  However worse he has recently been, compared to what he was, I don't know that aging is the reason.  He's still a young man.

The hold the fort guy was signed to a multi-year contract, with the first 2 years ($7M) guaranteed, and was good enough to start for the SB champs.

With Oboishi and Iljema getting camp looks at OG, and with Dozier and Campbell being draft picks specifically for OG. Perhaps Ross is being thought of as a potential swing tackle. Jumbo looks, backup/insurance, etc.

6'5, 365...that's big.

47 reps of 225...that's strong.  

40 yard dash at 4.51...that's bullsh*t.

The all-time record for combine bench reps is 51.  I think 47 would be #3 of all time.  Doesn't make him a good player, but yeah, that's certainly strong.

The all-time record for combine bench reps is 51.  I think 47 would be #3 of all time.  Doesn't make him a good player, but yeah, that's certainly strong.

Particularly for a guy with arms that long.

Ferguson is 30 years old.  Hardly aging.  However worse he has recently been, compared to what he was, I don't know that aging is the reason.  He's still a young man. 

according to PFF, brick was the Jets' best lineman last year and the only one to grade out positively in every game. 

Granted, I don't believe in all these PFF grades as gospel but it's worth pointing out 

BTW I don't htink the Jets will take any of these players but the UNC LB is probably more interesting than the 365 pound NT. 

according to PFF, brick was the Jets' best lineman last year and the only one to grade out positively in every game. 

Granted, I don't believe in all these PFF grades as gospel but it's worth pointing out 

BTW I don't htink the Jets will take any of these players but the UNC LB is probably more interesting than the 365 pound NT. 

Yeah, I agree that it's doubtful that the Jets take anyone today.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets were the first ones to make calls to either of these guys if they go undrafted (which, given recent years' trends seems very likely).

How are the Jets set at OT?  They have an aging D-Brick on the left side, and a hold the fort guy on the right,  Not much behind either of them

The hold the fort guy was signed to a multi-year contract, with the first 2 years ($7M) guaranteed, and was good enough to start for the SB champs.

Thanks Sperm!!!

No one was picked for 2nd straight year..

Let see how fast the 4 guys (New Mexico wide receiver/running back Chase Clayton, North Carolina linebacker Darius Lipford, Virginia Lynchburg defensive tackle LeKendrick Ross and SMU running back Traylon Sheadget UFA deals?

this also tells u highly doubtful Idzik parting w/any picks for Johnson. We arent there yet in his mind to do it. My 2 cents, I may be wrong and we trade for AJ today.

this also tells u highly doubtful Idzik parting w/any picks for Johnson. We arent there yet in his mind to do it. My 2 cents, I may be wrong and we trade for AJ today.

I think there's some truth to this, though.  Unless someone's seen as a long-term move (Decker), helping out a hopeful long-term player (CJ for Geno Smith), or as disaster contingency (Vick for Smith), I think he's holding out a bit.  The one thing that should stick out over any one move is the massive all-in that Tannenbaum did without a good QB in place.  By the time that now-sucky QB turns the corner, or until your next go at it occurs at the position, the high-priced players brought in aren't what they were when signed.  Plus they're in the meaty part of their deals rather than the initial 1st/2nd years where their cap #s are lower.  Even if they could still be all kept together, now the guys you drafted (if they're worth a damn) are emerging from their cheap rookie deals so you need to get up against the cap (and then some, by extending guys you don't really want to) just to bring in 1 or 2 more players.  It makes a mess. 

Whether the term is all-in or win-now, the idea is the same: mortgaging the team's future a bit for a better team today.  Thing is, absent a good (or merely decent) QB, it's all lipstick on a pig where dozens of players and coaches are charged with the task of playing hide-our-QB in the form of a devastating defense, opportunistic special teams play, conservative playcalling, or frankly all of the above.  And the reality is, a QB overcomes glaring holes elsewhere because points can actually be generated.

I think it's clear he wants that guy to be Geno Smith.  If it isn't, Vick will be thrown in there to save both his ass and Ryan's to prevent a bad situation from being even worse. Or that seems to be the plan. But they don't view Vick as a long-term solution, as a guy who's getting them to the SB. If they go with Vick due to Smith '14 being Smith '13 part II, he's drafting another QB high next year. But he'll have maintained the flexibility to do anything he wants elsewhere on the team (including signing any veteran who may unexpectedly become available via FA or trade). 

Another way of putting it is that he doesn't want to go all in on a pair of 9s.

true if other teams really liked someone, but rumors were out there that Jets loved Ross, so I assume Idzik rolling dice we can get him via UFA

What rumors?  One moronic mock draft that was speculating?  (sorry if you did that mock, but c'mon)  In a non-Jetcentric world you would have seen interest from at least the Eagles, Cards, Pats, 49ers, Texans, Colts... Forget it, you made me look it up.  Here, eleven teams attended his workout.  Can you guess which team is not on that list?  Outside of hte Jets blog I have not seen anything in particular linking the Jets.  

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/07/eleven-nfl-teams-attend-monday-workout-for-supplemental-draft-entrant/

What rumors?  One moronic mock draft that was speculating?  (sorry if you did that mock, but c'mon)  In a non-Jetcentric world you would have seen interest from at least the Eagles, Cards, Pats, 49ers, Texans, Colts... Forget it, you made me look it up.  Here, eleven teams attended his workout.  Can you guess which team is not on that list?  Outside of hte Jets blog I have not seen anything in particular linking the Jets.  

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/07/eleven-nfl-teams-attend-monday-workout-for-supplemental-draft-entrant/

Ha ha, he made you look it up.

SJ 1, Dominator 0

. If they go with Vick due to Smith '14 being Smith '13 part II, he's drafting another QB high next year. But he'll have maintained the flexibility to do anything he wants elsewhere on the team (including signing any veteran who may unexpectedly become available via FA or trade). 

I assume draft, 2015 QB UFAs look weak

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2015

How about Brady? He loves the Jets.

I truly think this is Bradys last year. 

Hell his ole lady makes more than him and sooner or later he will say 'I want to be able to walk and be painfree to enjoy a zillionaire retirement and play golf etc.

That why I think Pats may make a play for AJ, Belly/Brady 1 last run.

Archived