Barnes "probably" ready for training camp

Sperm Edwards

Jets LB Antwan Barnes says he'll 'probably' be ready for training camp, per report

Dom Cosentino/NJ.com By Dom Cosentino/NJ.com 
Follow on Twitter 
on June 09, 2014 at 3:09 PM, updated June 09, 2014 at 3:16 PM

13550472-mmmain.jpg

Last week, Jets head coach Rex Ryan told reporters outside linebacker Antwan Barnes would miss the rest of organized team activities and minicamp because of the knee injury that ended Barnes's 2013 season after just five games.

Ryan further said he wasn't sure whether Barnes would be ready for training camp, which will likely begin late next month.

Metro New York's Kristian Dyer has since spoken to Barnes, who's holding out hope he'll be ready and able by the time the Jets head to training camp in Cortland, N.Y.:

“I’m getting there. It does feel better, it really does. I feel it getting stronger. I’m probably past 70 percent at this point. I think it will continue to get better and continue to not just heal, but get stronger.”

Barnes has been at the Jets' two OTA sessions that were open to the media, though he spent most of his time both days in the rehab area.

Barnes is a backup to Quinton Coples and Calvin Pace who plays almost entirely in passing situations. He's a solid depth option whose primary skill is getting after the quarterback. An eight-year veteran who previously played for the Ravens, Eagles, and Chargers, Barnes had two sacks and a team-high 12 quarterback hits last season—his first with the Jets—before getting injured back in October.

The Jets currently have 11 linebackers on their 90-man roster. Last year, they kept anywhere from seven to nine linebackers on their 53-man regular-season roster.

The Jets have their final set of voluntary OTAs scheduled today through Thursday, with mandatory minicamp on tap for June 17-19. After that, there are no formal team offseason workouts until training camp.

Asked by Dyer if he thought he'd be back in time for training camp, Barnes answered, "Probably."

© 2014 NJ.com. All rights reserved.

Ha! I didn't even notice. Rotoworld had it as a July 9th piece of "news" and it didn't even occur to me they could be off by a full month.

Good catch.

Yeah.  When they said training camp would start late next month.  Late August?!?! So I checked the date. It's probably the latest info on Barnes.

Archived