Bilal Powell: potential cap casualty?

Sperm Edwards

Of course he's a potential casualty, as the Jets did bring in Richardson and CJ.  Didn't read this anywhere today, but I was just looking.  Jets would save a net $860K by cutting him (if Richardson would end up as the replacement, which is as likely as any at this point).

Regardless of how much cap space we have available, $1.431M is kind of a lot for a 3rd string RB who doesn't return kicks or punts.  On the flip-side, I don't know how much Smith (or Vick) would be dead meat if Richardson needed to be in there and was kept in to block on a pass play.  He's not a rookie or anything, so he should understand these assignments, but I'd be lying if I said I knew his reputation in this regard. 

Keep in mind, it's $1.431M gross savings, as his cap number savings gets replaced by another player, not by a zero.  Cutting Powell saves $1.431M, but Richardson makes $580K.  Presumably the Jets aren't keeping both. Even if Powell is deemed slightly better for this year, is he nearly $900K better than Richardson for 1 season as the 3rd string back?

Thoughts?

Green sucks ass, so it will be a matter if Richardson impresses AND seems healthy that there would be any shot of Powell going anywhere.  I'm guessing that Powell is likely safe though, as he's a jack of all trades (but master of none) type.  While he may not measure up to each in individual skill sets, Powell is still ultimately the primary backup to both Johnson and Ivory, as they are such different players that if one were to get hurt, there's multiple things the other could not simply not handle doing, which Powell could.  The primary example of this, as you referenced, comes in the passing game, where Powell can contribute as both a blocker and receiver, something Ivory cannot do.

While CJ made it through the entire season last year, he's still coming off of an injury and combined with Ivory's long injury history, that's more incentive to keep around the healthy backup over another injured mess in Richardson.  The only other difference-maker I could see there is if they think Richardson has some real long-term potential.

I think he is a potential casualty, but not a cap casualty.  He may very well be a worse back than Richardson.  I tend to agree with BG that I'd rather have the bigger back.  I saw Richardson more as a replacement for Goodson than anything and Johnson probably has that covered.  I saw some stats that said Richardson was very good outside, but piss poor inside the tackles.  OTOH, Johnson and Richardson have both been starters and fit pretty well with what Mornhinweg tries to do and Johnson has been plenty durable even with the knee injury last year.

I think he is a potential casualty, but not a cap casualty.  He may very well be a worse back than Richardson.  I tend to agree with BG that I'd rather have the bigger back.  I saw Richardson more as a replacement for Goodson than anything and Johnson probably has that covered.  I saw some stats that said Richardson was very good outside, but piss poor inside the tackles.  OTOH, Johnson and Richardson have both been starters and fit pretty well with what Mornhinweg tries to do and Johnson has been plenty durable even with the knee injury last year.

Yeah, the team had Powell and then went out to get both Ivory and Goodson. Then subtract Goodson and the team goes out and gets CJ and Richardson.

There's also the potential to make him take a pay cut. Not weighing in on the morality on it, as it wasa blood-curdling experience watching Tannenbaum do that with Clemens on Aug 31st. But at any point after TC starts through final cutdown day, when few teams will be looking for a 7-figure Bilal Powell, he could be asked to take an $800K cut in exchange for guaranteeing that (lower) salary for the season.

Powell is still ultimately the primary backup to both Johnson and Ivory, as they are such different players that if one were to get hurt, there's multiple things the other could not simply not handle doing, which Powell could.

Good point. But the fact still remains that he's a 3rd string RB in the final year of his deal, is set to count $1.5M, and is unlikely to be re-signed over a 2015 rookie. Compound that with not knowing if he's likely to get more than 50 touches this season, if even that. While Ivory has a history of missing time, CJ does not (even with a torn meniscus).

The only other difference-maker I could see there is if they think Richardson has some reallong-term potential.

How many veteran RBs in the league are viewed as long-term solutions for anything, particularly those picked up off the scrap heap? Then again, he's still only 23.

I think the Jets genuinely like Powell. He's not great at any one thing, but he's good at a lot of different things. Also; Ivory stayed healthy last year, let's see if he can do it again. I would prefer the Jets cut Green, he stinks.

What would his trade value be? Say another team loses a back in camp, and doesn't have much depth at the position. What could we get for Powell if we traded him to a team in that situation?

4th or 5th rounder at best IMHO, maybe a CB ?

Can't see them cutting him, maybe trading him but I find that unlikely. RBs seems to always get hurt. I'm of the belief you should have 4 rbs at the beginning of the season, 3 on the roster 1 on the ps, because they always get nicked. I like Powell and think of him as an all around solid back. I think MM really likes him too, so no I don't see this happening

Can't see them cutting him, maybe trading him but I find that unlikely. RBs seems to always get hurt. I'm of the belief you should have 4 rbs at the beginning of the season, 3 on the roster 1 on the ps, because they always get nicked. I like Powell and think of him as an all around solid back. I think MM really likes him too, so no I don't see this happening

Yeah.  None of the backs will probably be cut.  They will just keep the ones that are healthy.

Agree. I think if they do cut any of the backs it'll be Green.

Lets cut our only healthy RB for a few bucks. Idzik is cheap but also smart. Not going to happen UNLESS he really really stinks in the camp.

camp means nothing for Powell at this stage. The team knows his capabilities and that's what will ultimately be the Judge. I;m not sure if the Jets keep 4 backs and a FB at this stage with so many young receivers in the mix it may come down to what position keeps the extra guy.

What would his trade value be? Say another team loses a back in camp, and doesn't have much depth at the position. What could we get for Powell if we traded him to a team in that situation?

They can trade him and start the climb towards 12 picks again next year as well.  :)

I wasn't even considering Green, who at this point is likely only just camp fodder, so I didn't even mention him as being in the mix.

It's true they could keep 4 (and Green could/would still be out). And since neither CJ nor Ivory is mega-expensive they may not be that concerned about Powell being high-priced for a #3.

As far as trade, in no way are the Jets getting a 4 or a 5 for him (especially not with this being the last year of his contract; they'd be trading for 1 more year of him and then first dibs on paying him even more after this season). The Jets gave up a 4 for Ivory, who was viewed as someone with difference-maker type potential but just hadn't been used. I can't imagine anyone thinks that about Powell, who is fine in a pinch but who does nothing especially well.

Not weighing in on the morality on it, as it wasa blood-curdling experience watching Tannenbaum do that with Clemens on Aug 31st. But at any point after TC starts through final cutdown day, when few teams will be looking for a 7-figure Bilal Powell, he could be asked to take an $800K cut in exchange for guaranteeing that (lower) salary for the season.

That would be a dick move.

His original contract called for him to make $645k in this, the final year, of his deal. At least that's what it says on the NYJetsCap page. Now I see the $1.4M figure on Over The Cap, and it makes me believe they either voluntarily gave him a raise, or he met some incentives. Either way, somehow he earned that money. To take it back for cap space the team doesn't need would be bullsh*t.

I agree with BG that he's not a world beater in any one category, but he did (very quietly) lead the team in yards from scrimmage last year. He's a valuable player here. I think the Jets won't cut him for that reason, and also that he's potentially part of the comp pick computation next year.

That would be a dick move.

His original contract called for him to make $645k in this, the final year, of his deal. At least that's what it says on the NYJetsCap page. Now I see the $1.4M figure on Over The Cap, and it makes me believe they either voluntarily gave him a raise, or he met some incentives. Either way, somehow he earned that money. To take it back for cap space the team doesn't need would be bullsh*t.

I agree with BG that he's not a world beater in any one category, but he did (very quietly) lead the team in yards from scrimmage last year. He's a valuable player here. I think the Jets won't cut him for that reason, and also that he's potentially part of the comp pick computation next year.

Oh yeah, another good point.  I forgot about that, but had brought it up in another thread when discussing Wilson as a potential cut a while back, and it definitely has some merit to it.  Idzik has shown himself to be a fan of comp picks, and unless he has some sort of preemptive plan to be a big FA spender next year, I think that could definitely play a part in the decision-making.

As far as trade, in no way are the Jets getting a 4 or a 5 for him (especially not with this being the last year of his contract; they'd be trading for 1 more year of him and then first dibs on paying him even more after this season). The Jets gave up a 4 for Ivory, who was viewed as someone with difference-maker type potential but just hadn't been used. I can't imagine anyone thinks that about Powell, who is fine in a pinch but who does nothing especially well.

It's more of a roster issue than a cap issue.    The Jets have a glut of mediocre wr's including 3 draft picks and only so many roster spots.    At RB, the Jets keep 2 of: TBo, RIchardson, Green, Powell.    My gut says Powell makes the team.  

the more interesting position is WR where you have 9 WRs competing for 5 or 6 roster spots. 

It's more of a roster issue than a cap issue.    The Jets have a glut of mediocre wr's including 3 draft picks and only so many roster spots.    At RB, the Jets keep 2 of: TBo, RIchardson, Green, Powell.    My gut says Powell makes the team.  

the more interesting position is WR where you have 9 WRs competing for 5 or 6 roster spots. 

Agreed about the WRs, although it might not be as tough to sort as you might think upon a second glance.  I think they easily go up to at least 6 WRs, especially given there should be some ST contributors amongst the group.  Taking a quick look down the list:

Campbell, Michael

Decker, Eric

Enunwa, Quincy

Evans, Shaq

Ford, Jacoby

Gates, Clyde

Hakim, Saalim

Hill, Stephen

Kerley, Jeremy

Nelson, David

Salas, Greg

Saunders, Jalen

There's 12 total WRs.  Salas, Hakim, and Campbell are obviously gone without question.  Gates is pretty much a lock too.  Ford I think was insurance and likely lost his job the moment they drafted Saunders.  So that gets you down to 7.  If these guys all look good enough, I could see the Jets shifting around the roster to keep all 7 of them on.  After all, they ended up carrying lots of WRs at various points during last season, and that was even in spite of the fact that there was little-to-no talent amongst them.  Otherwise, you end up with 1 of the later draft picks bumped down to the PS.  The only other possibility I could see would be if they get fed up with Hill and see if anyone would be willing to toss them a late round pick for him (as I just doubt they'd cut him outright).  Although I do agree it should be interesting to see how it goes, but if they like these guys enough, it might be another position that suffers for it, not the WRs.

Bilal Powell seems like the kind of guy that raises a discussion about the definition of the term JAG.   He is okay and will not kill you, but I don't think it would be that difficult to find a replacement level player.  

I agree with Lionel Richie.  WR and CB have a bunch of intriguing prospects, but not that many sure things.  It will be interesting to see who ends up where. 

Archived