Four teams interested in trading for Andre Johnson (no teams mentioned)

jgb

Bradway was an awful GM, but a respectable scout (which is how he's still managed to stick around with 2 GMs after himself).  The funny thing was that, in those days, you could even see that in the Jets' drafts, as they actually had a pretty good success rate in the later rounds of the draft (on a relative scale), more so than they did with their high picks.  Once all of the idiotic big trades were off the table, and he was no longer getting caught up in all of the glitz and glamor that came with the high picks, things actually didn't go so bad.  That's not a defense mind you, because those high picks are obviously pretty damn important, but always something I found quite intriguing, even back then.

I wonder how much influence Terry Bradway had on us selecting Eric Smith in the 3rd round in 2006.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bradway was an awful GM, but a respectable scout (which is how he's still managed to stick around with 2 GMs after himself).  The funny thing was that, in those days, you could even see that in the Jets' drafts, as they actually had a pretty good success rate in the later rounds of the draft (on a relative scale), more so than they did with their high picks.  Once all of the idiotic big trades were off the table, and he was no longer getting caught up in all of the glitz and glamor that came with the high picks, things actually didn't go so bad.  That's not a defense mind you, because those high picks are obviously pretty damn important, but always something I found quite intriguing, even back then.

yup, bradway like a cockroach after Nuclear Wars..

I wonder how much influence Terry Bradway had on us selecting Eric Smith in the 3rd round in 2006.

I will say this about Bradway. He was on same page as I was (I sent Jets 3 emails begging them to draft Russel Wilson). Article written awhile back said Bradway begged Tanny to draft him.

From Rotoworld:

After speaking to four NFL executives regarding potential trade compensation for Andre Johnson, the Sideline View's Lance Zierlein received answers ranging from a second- to fifth-round pick.

Although the Houston Chronicle's John McClain has been adamant the Texans will not trade Johnson, it's worth remembering McClain was adamant for most of the pre-draft process that the Texans would not select Jadeveon Clowney at No. 1 overall. (They did.) We suspect GM Rick Smith would seriously consider dealing Johnson if a win-now team offered a 2015 second-round pick. If the offer were a fourth- or fifth-rounder, the Texans should comfortably pass.
Jul 11 - 1:51 PM

I didn't know he was an every-other-year headache like Revis has always been. He may have this type of history, but I'm just unaware of it.  He held out or something for his current deal some years ago, but he'd have been better off playing out his last one (though that's easy for me to say, knowing now that he had a career that lasted through his prior deal and then some). I think he just wants out of Houston now, for reasons stated, plus he realizes he made a bad deal for himself compared to what other, lesser receivers have gotten. 

I think that if Houston guaranteed his 2015 salary+bonus, that his concern about being on a rebuilding team this year would vanish (or anyway, enough to show up to camp right away).  He has this concern over being on a rebuilding Texans team, but I think people are looking at this concern incorrectly. This year isn't much of a concern, even though it's year 1 of the rebuild, since the team is going to carry an 8-figure cap charge whether he's kept or cut. But next year, cutting him saves the team $9M and that cap savings jumps to $12M the year after that.  Jason's site, as usual, outlines this pretty neatly.

In other words, if he's going to be out on the street looking for a new contract, which he has legitimate concerns about with his age and $11-12M salaries, that he's better off looking for a new deal at age 33 than at age 34.  

IMO He's never been labeled "that type" because it wasn't broadcasted as if they were a new york team, and the Texans (being a new team at the time and Johnson being not just the face but one of the best young stars in the game) eventually caved in to his demands earlier in his career. Halfway through his rookie contract he got a lengthy extension, halfway through that one he wanted another extension and got it. 

Just look at his situation right now. He's missed a few days of workouts which had a 1 million dollar workout bonus attached. Andre decides that he's going to go to the Texans, tell them that he'll work "extra hard" to make up for the workout time he missed and he would like to get that million dollars that he forfeited by not being in attendance. The Texans said no, and this is when Andre said that he'd rather play for another team and threw a fit. Now, some people would say that the texans should give him the million because the last three years he's restructured his contract for the team, which is true, but this is the same team that in his early years kept renewing his contract halfway threw their agreement as well. You can't let a guy who in some ways held your new franchise hostage when he was a young star, turn around a pimp you for 1 million dollars after he knew what needed to be done to get the bonus. Let him pout and ask to play for another team. The Texans should take a page from the Steelers playbook, trade him and get value in the draft next year. Johnson wont be in the league 3 to 5 years from today. 

I dont know, I just feel some type of way about Andre Johnson. As a player you can't deny what he's done for the game and the position. He's made a career on smoking your top CB at will, but for a guy such as myself who always gives the players the benefit of the doubt because the deck is always stacked in the house favor, I would prefer that we deal with what we have now. If we get johnson cool. I wouldn't boycott of course, but if he went anywhere else it really wouldnt be a big deal to me. 

IMO He's never been labeled "that type" because it wasn't broadcasted as if they were a new york team, and the Texans (being a new team at the time and Johnson being not just the face but one of the best young stars in the game) eventually caved in to his demands earlier in his career. Halfway through his rookie contract he got a lengthy extension, halfway through that one he wanted another extension and got it.

Just look at his situation right now. He's missed a few days of workouts which had a 1 million dollar workout bonus attached. Andre decides that he's going to go to the Texans, tell them that he'll work "extra hard" to make up for the workout time he missed and he would like to get that million dollars that he forfeited by not being in attendance. The Texans said no, and this is when Andre said that he'd rather play for another team and threw a fit. Now, some people would say that the texans should give him the million because the last three years he's restructured his contract for the team, which is true, but this is the same team that in his early years kept renewing his contract halfway threw their agreement as well. You can't let a guy who in some ways held your new franchise hostage when he was a young star, turn around a pimp you for 1 million dollars after he knew what needed to be done to get the bonus. Let him pout and ask to play for another team. The Texans should take a page from the Steelers playbook, trade him and get value in the draft next year. Johnson wont be in the league 3 to 5 years from today.

I dont know, I just feel some type of way about Andre Johnson. As a player you can't deny what he's done for the game and the position. He's made a career on smoking your top CB at will, but for a guy such as myself who always gives the players the benefit of the doubt because the deck is always stacked in the house favor, I would prefer that we deal with what we have now. If we get johnson cool. I wouldn't boycott of course, but if he went anywhere else it really wouldnt be a big deal to me.

I have to respectfully disagree Villain.

Being from the Miami area, Im familiar with Andre Johnson since his UM days. Hes a really good team guy and hasnt been in any trouble. Ive also read that hes restructured his contract twice at Houstons request. Now lets not kid ourselves, he didnt lose anything...but hes been reported as saying he'd do anything to help the team out to improve the roster. Truthfully, AJ's a classy kid, always has been.

I have to respectfully disagree Villain.

Being from the Miami area, Im familiar with Andre Johnson since his UM days. Hes a really good team guy and hasnt been in any trouble. Ive also read that hes restructured his contract twice at Houstons request. Now lets not kid ourselves, he didnt lose anything...but hes been reported as saying he'd do anything to help the team out to improve the roster. Truthfully, AJ's a classy kid, always has been.

Totally understand you. I dont think he's a bad guy or troublesome. I can only speak on what has come across my eyes and ears. Everything here you said could be true. He restructured his contract the last 3 years at the Texans request. The Texans gave him two new contracts in his early years in the middle of their current contract at Jonhson's request. I dont think that he's a locker room cancer like Holmes. What I'm saying is that Idzik needs to continue bringing in guys who are hungry, who needs to earn their keep and feel like they have something to prove. Even with the signing of Decker, no one, not even Jets fans consider him a #1 WR. That signing was a respectable signing but it was also one given to a guy who has something to prove and will be given the opportunity to prove it. 

Andre Johnson will be looking for top dollar because he feels like this is to be expected, which I wouldnt argue. What I will say is that he's on the opposite side of 30 and in 3 years he will either not be in the league or will be a shell of himself. I prefer Idzik to either pass on him or trade for him if its an offer he simply can't pass up. 

I know you dont want to wait too long to make a decision on a guy that you can possibly have before training camp begins, but I really would like to see what we have in our rookies and current guys we brought in from free agency. Everyone at that WR position has something to prove, I prefer to see what we got, not ruin it with a top dollar guy with nothing to prove that will be here for 2 or 3 years and go into the hall of fame as a Texan. 

Totally understand you. I dont think he's a bad guy or troublesome. I can only speak on what has come across my eyes and ears. Everything here you said could be true. He restructured his contract the last 3 years at the Texans request. The Texans gave him two new contracts in his early years in the middle of their current contract at Jonhson's request. I dont think that he's a locker room cancer like Holmes. What I'm saying is that Idzik needs to continue bringing in guys who are hungry, who needs to earn their keep and feel like they have something to prove. Even with the signing of Decker, no one, not even Jets fans consider him a #1 WR. That signing was a respectable signing but it was also one given to a guy who has something to prove and will be given the opportunity to prove it.

Andre Johnson will be looking for top dollar because he feels like this is to be expected, which I wouldnt argue. What I will say is that he's on the opposite side of 30 and in 3 years he will either not be in the league or will be a shell of himself. I prefer Idzik to either pass on him or trade for him if its an offer he simply can't pass up.

I know you dont want to wait too long to make a decision on a guy that you can possibly have before training camp begins, but I really would like to see what we have in our rookies and current guys we brought in from free agency. Everyone at that WR position has something to prove, I prefer to see what we got, not ruin it with a top dollar guy with nothing to prove that will be here for 2 or 3 years and go into the hall of fame as a Texan.

Ok, fair enough.

I know Id give my right ball for the Johnson of 5 years ago.

Do I think that he, if anyone, possesses the ability to be more than an minimally effective wideout into his 30's?...yes.

If I were Idzik, would I be willing to risk my job on it?...no.

If what is mentioned about being a 2nd round pick trade and Johnson was willing to restructure maybe 3 yrs @ 30..... its sexy.

But we (and most people) know, this isnt really Idziks M.O.

Ok, fair enough.

I know Id give my right ball for the Johnson of 5 years ago.

Do I think that he, if anyone, possesses the ability to be more than an minimally effective wideout into his 30's?...yes.

If I were Idzik, would I be willing to risk my job on it?...no.

If what is mentioned about being a 2nd round pick trade and Johnson was willing to restructure maybe 3 yrs @ 30..... its sexy.

But we (and most people) know, this isnt really Idziks M.O.

Brother, EVEN I would give your right ball for the Johnson of 5 years ago!  :winking0001:

This team is not going to the SB this year, with or without Johnson and is loaded with young, unknown WRs. As sweet as it sounds, I don't see how bringing him in helps this team rebuild and yes, it is still rebuilding. That said, sign the beast and let us have a threatening WR corp for just one year in 20. ;)

if you have a chance to get a player like johnson and you are sitting on $20M in cap space, you try. but if he is made available, a "win now team" will and should outbid the jets.

I think it depends on the trade cost more than the actual money.  The Jets could afford it without a doubt, if they wanted to, but Johnson is unlikely to be the difference-maker that suddenly gets this team to the Super Bowl or anything like that, and he obviously doesn't have much in terms of long-term prospects, so if you're starting to talk about the Texans wanting a high draft pick in return, it's probably not worth it to a team like the Jets.

I think it depends on the trade cost more than the actual money.  The Jets could afford it without a doubt, if they wanted to, but Johnson is unlikely to be the difference-maker that suddenly gets this team to the Super Bowl or anything like that, and he obviously doesn't have much in terms of long-term prospects, so if you're starting to talk about the Texans wanting a high draft pick in return, it's probably not worth it to a team like the Jets.

fair enough--by "outbid" i meant draft picks--we agree the chances of him coming here are 0%

Archived