New York Jets Finally Have Balanced Team Rex Ryan Needs

Larz

Each of the FA WRs were basically at the end of their careers.

As to Sanchez/Schitty bein  merely okay, look at 8-8 2011, whcih pretty much ended the Rex/Pettine partnership. It featured 2 games that stand out:

1. The Tebow Broncos game, with the defense playng very well, the offense doing NOTHING;

2. The Christmas Eve Jints Victor Cruz game; again, the defense playing well, the offense doing NOTHING.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2011.htm

In each case, even a very good defense is gonna falter when your offense sucks. The Tebow 4th quarter comeback and the Cruz TD are examples of that. The margin for error is nonexistent. Both games called out for a late dtive by the offense to end it it and the jets did nothing. 

Look, if you guys want to avert your eyes and pretend Rex Ryan can be a real NFL coach, good for you. He is a good defensive coach. But being ranked 4th against the run does not get you a trophy. IT'S A TEAM GAME. Ryan for too long has either pretended offense doesn't matter or subcontracted it out. He's just like his dad. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely agree 100%, which is actually also the reason I disagree with you on the Geno/Vick thing.  I simply don't have any faith in Vick, and this is obviously Geno's one shot to prove he can be the guy (just as it should be), so I figure they might as well go all in on the guy.  Now if I really thought Vick made the Jets into a contender I might think differently, but I don't believe that at all, so I'd much rather the Jets be 100% sure on Geno by this season's end than anything else.  We had enough of this "I don't know, maybe he might possibly be the guy" horse crap with Sanchez, and Penny before him.  Now is the time to find out for sure and go from there.

my opinion on starting vick is based upon my belief that he will outperform geno in camp and pre-season by a large margin. if geno outperforms vick, obviously the choice is clear. but considering all of your negative feelings about vick, if vick outperforms geno, doesn't that mean we already know geno is not the guy?

my opinion on starting vick is based upon my belief that he will outperform geno in camp and pre-season by a large margin. if geno outperforms vick, obviously the choice is clear. but considering all of your negative feelings about vick, if vick outperforms geno, doesn't that mean we already know geno is not the guy?

This has yet to happen, and would alter my opinion as well. But I just don't think that it will happen. At this stage of their careers, I think they're probably pretty close - and that Geno is the one with the potential upside, not Vick. 

This has yet to happen, and would alter my opinion as well. But I just don't think that it will happen. At this stage of their careers, I think they're probably pretty close - and that Geno is the one with the potential upside, not Vick. 

vick stinks in camp/preseason i will switch my view. but i'm not betting on it. less an endorsement of vick than no confidence in geno.

Yeah, that's most likely true.  Which is why I've said in the past if Vick completely blows Geno away, then that completely changes the story.  I personally just doubt that will happen, as much for my low opinion of Vick than any faith in Geno.  If it's close, I still say you give Geno the benefit of the doubt for the same reasons I mentioned.  We'll have to see how camp and preseason go though, because if your predictions come true, that obviously changes everything.  I'm just really hoping it doesn't come to that (although that doesn't mean it won't).

Yeah, that's most likely true.  Which is why I've said in the past if Vick completely blows Geno away, then that completely changes the story.  I personally just doubt that will happen, as much for my low opinion of Vick than any faith in Geno.  If it's close, I still say you give Geno the benefit of the doubt for the same reasons I mentioned.  We'll have to see how camp and preseason go though, because if your predictions come true, that obviously changes everything.  I'm just really hoping it doesn't come to that (although that doesn't mean it won't).

ain't the offseason wonderful? :cheers:

so what do we think of the idea that balance may not be better ?  is losing talent on defense to gain talent on offense a good thing, or is a "super unit" better ?

I'm not sure.  Didn't the Patriots go to the Super Bowl one year with a high rated offense and a lousy rated defense?

I'm not sure.  Didn't the Patriots go to the Super Bowl one year with a high rated offense and a lousy rated defense?

If theres one thing we've proved over the last 15 years its that we haven't learned one thing from one of the best teams in all of sports.

Rex had balenced teams before and still needed help one year getting into the playoffs. He had balenced teams and couldn't get it done. The guy isn't a HC. We know this. Jet fans just don't want to admit defeat again and look like we're starting over.

If theres one thing we've proved over the last 15 years its that we haven't learned one thing from one of the best teams in all of sports.

Oh, you're really a pats fan? That makes sense.

Oh, you're really a pats fan? That makes sense.

No. Can't stand them. But respect them and what they've done in this league. Jet fans would kill their mother for what they've done. They've accomplished more in 15 years then we have in our entire history. It's pretty sad friend.

No. Can't stand them. But respect them and what they've done in this league. Jet fans would kill their mother for what they've done. They've accomplished more in 15 years then we have in our entire history. It's pretty sad friend.

I'm not your friend, buddy.

I know you didn't watch the team back then, but the Jets have had higher than the 18th ranked offense with Sanchez & Schottenheimer. Unless you were confused by my bringing up this totally clear fact.

I hope it brings you pleasure to bring up statistics from a team that was gutted, prior to it being retooled, with really an unready rookie and nothing else to play QB. I mean, I guess it does bring you pleasure, since you do it so often I suppose you think it's profound or something. Like the laughable belief that Matt Simms is this great QB just being held back by Ryan for absolutely no reason whatsoever except Wrecks something.

I know you think McCarthy is a good coach. Well, what happened to the 2013 Packers without Aaron Rodgers? With him, McCarthy looks like this super-smart coach on top of everything. Without Aaron Rodgers? Do tell me about point differentials with that team. Here it is:

-7 vs Chicago

-14 vs Philadelphia

-14 vs NYG

tie vs Minnesota

-30 vs Detroit

+1 vs Atlanta without Julio or Roddy and were 3-9 and eliminated

+1 vs Dallas

-6 vs Pittsburgh

-69 point differential in the 8 games without Rodgers. Over 16 games that's a -138 point differential. And a record of 2-5-1 over that 8-game span. That same team with Rodgers, though? 6-2.

Another interesting stat is that until GB's all-world QB got injured, the DEFENSE had given up 20 points or less in 4 of the 6 games. Rodgers gets injured and they suddenly can't repeat that feat ONCE for the rest of the season. Or was that all the fault of Dom Capers because McCarthy only coaches half the team or something?

A bad QB is everything. A great QB makes a sh*tty coach look way, way better than he is. It can even make a mediocre head coach into a champion, which causes people to claim he's so much better or smarter than he really is.

It's amazing, though. A team finishes 8-8. If there's a high negative point differential, the one thing a normal fan would do is point to the coaching and say it was a good job with a team that was obviously inferior on paper. Literally every team in the league with that point differential finished with between 2 and 4 wins. The Jets win 8 and of all the things being criticized it's the coaching job. Simply amazing. If it was any team other than the Jets doing this, the same Wrecks-Rex-sux crew here would be hailing that head coach as having done one hell of a job with a bunch of garbage that his GMs left him to work with.

As a fan I'd be more pissed off at a coach like McCarthy who just gave the perfect argument for firing him outright. His whole coaching career is "I had Aaron Rodgers. Before him I had Brett Favre. With neither, I couldn't muster up a single 2-point win in half a football season."

I don't think you know who's good or who's bad. You just know who has a QB with gaudy passing numbers and think it's the same thing.

I liked everything about your post except the Matt Simms criticism. I still say he deserves a shot

I liked everything about your post except the Matt Simms criticism. I still say he deserves a shot

If he was all that, or even close, word would have leaked out that he's been showing up Geno in practices. That's a hard thing to keep a lid on when so many dozens of people get to see both of them up close.  Especially when he's got such a high profile NFL commentator for a dad.  

While he may be much improved now (I have no idea), last summer he didn't exactly create a canyon of separation between himself and Greg McElroy for the #3 job. He only got that #3 job after McElroy injured his knee (and really never came back).  You don't necessarily just throw him in there for a start like on a video game.  Just like with Sanchez - bad as he was - with Tebow/McElroy.  On paper, people ask what did we have to lose by going with Tebow. In practice, the team saw how awful he was - even compared to Sanchez - and you could lose an entire locker room if they think you're making moves for headlines.

In other words, it's pretty unlikely that he is secretly so fantastic but no one on the entire team can see what's right in front of their faces for a whole season plus two summers (about to be 3 summers).  Possible, certainly, but unlikely.

If he was all that, or even close, word would have leaked out that he's been showing up Geno in practices. That's a hard thing to keep a lid on when so many dozens of people get to see both of them up close.  Especially when he's got such a high profile NFL commentator for a dad.  

While he may be much improved now (I have no idea), last summer he didn't exactly create a canyon of separation between himself and Greg McElroy for the #3 job. He only got that #3 job after McElroy injured his knee (and really never came back).  You don't necessarily just throw him in there for a start like on a video game.  Just like with Sanchez - bad as he was - with Tebow/McElroy.  On paper, people ask what did we have to lose by going with Tebow. In practice, the team saw how awful he was - even compared to Sanchez - and you could lose an entire locker room if they think you're making moves for headlines.

In other words, it's pretty unlikely that he is secretly so fantastic but no one on the entire team can see what's right in front of their faces for a whole season plus two summers (about to be 3 summers).  Possible, certainly, but unlikely.

only pats get that lucky

lewis-bledose.jpg

Kellen Clemens.  Brett Ratliff.  Greg McElroy.  Matt Simms.  All franchise saviors.  All let go and headed for Hall of Fame careers.

Archived