Jets not interested in Andre Johnson

stoicsentry

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They brought in two free agents and drafted three more, in addition to Kerley, Nelson, and Hill. They certainly have some talent to evaluate. 

Did you really like the way Tannenbaum did business better? 

Somewhat, but it's not as if I don't also recognize the downside to his approach. I would prefer a more balanced approach, I think we've swung way too far in the opposite direction.

BTW, let's not re-write history here. Tannenbaum built a team that won 4 playoff games in 2 years, 2 of those being against Peyton Manning and Tom Brady on the road, back to back. So let's not pretend that he didn't accomplish anything when he was, in fact, one of the most successful GMs in our history. I know it has fallen out of fashion to say that, but it's true. You don't like his approach? I get it, I'm with you to some extent, but for all his weaknesses he did accomplish a lot.

Idzik is saving cap space for Orakpo next year. Book it.

Save those pennies.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/3/7/5482370/nfl-salary-cap-could-keep-increasing-by-even-more-than-we-thought

When the salary cap jumped from $123 million to $133 million last week, some suggested it could move to $140 million in 2015 and $150 million in 2016.

Think higher.

One source with knowledge of the process (but not the same source who was on the money — pun lame but intended — when providing info about the 2014 cap) tells PFT that the cap could spike to $145 million in 2015 and a whopping $160 million in 2016.

Somewhat, but it's not as if I don't also recognize the downside to his approach. I would prefer a more balanced approach, I think we've swung way too far in the opposite direction.

BTW, let's not re-write history here. Tannenbaum built a team that won 4 playoff games in 2 years, 2 of those being against Peyton Manning and Tom Brady on the road, back to back. So let's not pretend that he didn't accomplish anything when he was, in fact, one of the most successful GMs in our history. I know it has fallen out of fashion to say that, but it's true. You don't like his approach? I get it, I'm with you to some extent, but for all his weaknesses he did accomplish a lot.

Yes, but we are living with the consequences of that method.  He did put together championship caliber teams, but he did that and put them in the hands of Mark Sanchez.  Going all-in and losing is not something to be celebrated.  Because of his "success," we had to completely start over.

Did he? Or did he just throw a sh*tload of money around and get lucky?

Like every executive, Tanny had his faults.  At the end of the day he did trade away too many draft picks.  However, I have no problem with trading some picks to acquire proven NFL talent as he did with Cro and (at the time) Holmes.  It's the same way Idzik added Ivory and there's nothing wrong with it.  Tanny's biggest mistake was  not having somebody to replace Sanchez, which is the same exact mistake that was made by Tuna with Vinny/Mirer. 

lolmehta1_zpsc2236ef6.png

Did he? Or did he just throw a sh*tload of money around and get lucky?

I wouldn't call it luck.  I would call it throwing a ton of money at a problem with no long term plan or thought of how to pay the bill for what he's done.

Thing is, the consequences outlasted him.

I wouldn't call it luck.  I would call it throwing a ton of money at a problem with no long term plan or thought of how to pay the bill for what he's done.

Thing is, the consequences outlasted him.

Yeah, but name one franchise in the free agent era that's been able to sustain success without a top tier QB. Teams always pay the bill.

The luckiest he got was getting Rex cause Mangini was coaching that D straight to the top 19!

No doubt, he went from an up and coming GM with a 9-7 team and a ton of payroll flexibility, to 6-10 and out of the league forever in cap hell, Thanks Rex!

Yeah, but name one franchise in the free agent era that's been able to sustain success without a top tier QB. Teams always pay the bill.

Steelers and Ravens of late.  Unless you're going to call Big Ben top tier, I certainly wouldn't call Flacco that though.  And argument could be made that the current Seahawks have a good, but not top tier QB.  Same argument could be made about the current 49ers.  I wouldn't call Kaepernick top tier.

And, by "sustain success," I'm not talking dynasty, I'm talking about being around longer than backing into the playoffs and playing two solid games before getting destroyed and then making the playoffs and then playing two good games before getting destroyed.

Could be a smoke screen. Well I would hope. Andre is my favorite WR in the league. But over paying for a 34 year old means we are semi going for it which isn't really in the gameplan honestly of getting young hungry guys cheaply. Aka Seattle

As much as he is the punch line here. Rex is still widely respected in this league. Vick Decker CJ are proven players. It's not that unattractive to be honest as a destination. I know this will be said is wrong. But it's not as bad as people say

No doubt, he went from an up and coming GM with a 9-7 team and a ton of payroll flexibility, to 6-10 and out of the league forever in cap hell, Thanks Rex!

Sure.  They were certainly up and coming!  Favre, Jenkins, Thomas Jones and Faneca were right at the prime age for NFL players, right?  Poised for success for years to come!

Sure. They were certainly up and coming! Favre, Jenkins, Thomas Jones and Faneca were right at the prime age for NFL players, right? Poised for success for years to come!

Of course you leave out brick, mangold, Revis, Harris, Keller they all were old and stinky

Somewhere out there is an alternate universe where the Jets have Peyton Manning and Andre Johnson going into this season. I try not to think too hard about it because that would cause a paradox in the space time continuum where I wind up being one of those jizz moppers that Randall talks about in Clerks.

Archived