Rex Ryan - number 16 in NFL.COM head coach rankings

faba

Rex Ryan No. 16 in NFL.com head coach power rankings

Rex Ryan is 42-38 in five seasons the head coach of the Jets. (John Munson/The Star-Ledger)
11356604.pngBy Dom Cosentino | NJ.com 

Follow on Twitter 

on July 15, 2014 at 9:00 AM, updated July 15, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Reddit

Email

Rex Ryan's five-year tenure as the Jets' head coach has been up and it's been down:

• Back-to-back AFC championship games in his first two seasons.

• Three straight years without a playoff appearance.

• A 42-38 record that includes two 8-8 seasons.

Pretty much mediocre, in other words.

But where does Ryan rank among the 32 current NFL headset bosses?

Ryan has already been ranked as high as No. 11 (Rotoworld) and as low as No. 17 (Sporting News). And now NFL.com's Elliot Harrison checks in to peg Ryan as No.16.

As Harrison put it:

He might talk a lot -- OK, he

does

talk a lot -- but Ryan's tenure has carried much substance, as well. Ryan led New York to two straight AFC Championship Game appearances in his first two years at the helm, but quarterback woes have left Gang Green hovering in mediocrity over the past three seasons. Jets GM John Idzik has exhibited confidence in Ryan, providing him an opportunity to ride it out with either the young Geno Smith or veteran Michael Vick under center. That said, this could be a do-or-die season for the coach.

Ryan certainly was hurt by the Jets' quarterbacks and their 59 interceptions the last three seasons, but he was also on board when the Jets traded up to draft Mark Sanchez back in 2009. But then came last year, when an 8-8 season was considered a success as the Jets hit the reset button under then-first-year general manager John Idzik. Is No. 17 too high for Ryan? Or too low? With the additions the Jets made this offseason, 2014 could very well go a long way toward answering both questions.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with this ranking, he is not a bad HC, nor a good one. He is middle of the pack. We could do worse, but I would prefer a better HC. At a minimum, someone who can maximize the QB position.

It would be nice to actually have a QB to maximize.

It would be nice to actually have a QB to maximize.

We have nobody in the organization that can identify, nor develop a QB, unless Marty can do it. I know a lot of fans have high hopes for Marty, and I hope they are correct, I just don't share that same opinion. I think he is clearly better than Schitty or Sporano, but they are not barometers to which I care to compare to. Rex clearly cannot do it, Idzik has zero track record in doing this, so it really comes down to Marty. Marty called to draft Geno, and has spoken highly of him. If Geno sucks this year, or is anything less than decent, we are F'd, because the guy we are counting on to identify and develop a QB, cannot do the job.

I dont believe that there is a magic QB fairy that drops QB's on your lap. I think there are the once in a decade guys who are of the Manning, Luck, Elway type cant miss guy, then I think the rest comes to identifying and developing the QB properly, understanding their strengths and weaknesses, and putting them in the best position to succeed. It is not only luck that we have not had a QB since Namth, there is a lot more to it than that.

They also have David Lee, who's a pretty well regarded QB coach.

I agree, he is, but I will throw the same thing I said about Marty about Lee. The fact that they did not go after a QB this year other than Boyd tells me that these guys like Geno. I really hope they are right, because if Geno is even decent, I think we compete for the division this year. But if Geno sucks and we see Vick, we are at least 3 years away from right now.

I agree, he is, but I will throw the same thing I said about Marty about Lee. The fact that they did not go after a QB this year other than Boyd tells me that these guys like Geno. I really hope they are right, because if Geno is even decent, I think we compete for the division this year. But if Geno sucks and we see Vick, we are at least 3 years away from right now.

It tells me they like Geno and/or they didn't like last year's crop all that much. I expected them to take a QB in the fourth or fifth round, and there were still some name guys available then, but the organization felt they weren't worth it for whatever reason. I hopes it's because they like Geno that much (and they're right!), but it could also be that they like the upcoming draft class that much more.

It tells me they like Geno and/or they didn't like last year's crop all that much. I expected them to take a QB in the fourth or fifth round, and there were still some name guys available then, but the organization felt they weren't worth it for whatever reason. I hopes it's because they like Geno that much (and they're right!), but it could also be that they like the upcoming draft class that much more.

I agree, and also hope these guys are right.

this team has -6 win talent (which means we won 14 games last year do the math folks) and a GM actively sabotaging the coach, so you tell me how Rex isnt #1

Could do better, could do worse.  At least there's an argument to be made that Idzik made the right choice keeping him around another year.

hard to know. geno showed (barely) enough last year to not completely write him off, i guess, and jets had way too many holes to go for a qb early. so i think not going for a name qb was a combo of having some hope (who knows exactly how much) that geno can develop and having many glaring holes to fill.

#ExtendMangini

#BitontiHermDefense

or it's good that they are giving stabilty a try this time.  I'm happy they are trying to get out of the cycle of rebuilding every 3  years from scratch. 

if we had a qb worth a damn people would be calling rex ryan a genius.

Except he's the biggest reason why our offense sucks. I love how people will make excuses for him about the offense and pretend like he's not the HC.

He's the ****in HC. He has more control over the team than anyone not named Woody and we've seen evidence of this is the players the draft, play and who is kept on.

The guy is the definition of average. One year we were gifted into the playoffs. Besides that we've made it one time and not a winning season since. Yeah we're so lucky to have him.

Jet fans are just so afraid of being wrong and trolls coming on here telling them they were right about Rex that they'll keep him no matter what. Last year wasn't his fault because of the players and weapons. LOL Like he had no control over that. This year we have to give him a full year because of the players and weapons. This will be the 4th year in a row that we haven't had a winning record and no playoffs and I cant wait to hear the excuses.

Archived