Rex Ryan - number 16 in NFL.COM head coach rankings

faba

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rex is now THE reason the Jets offense stinks? It's as if we had a decent offense ever in the decade before Rex came.

This reminds me of an old saying....

If u r not a part of the solution, u r a part of da problemo

Man beat Manning and Brady in Consecutive weeks and managed to beat the Saints with a starting line-up of of Nelson, Kerley, Salas, and Sudfeld. Say what you will about his clock management or his team discipline, but the man is nearly unparalleled as a strategist.  

LOL A strategist? C'mon bro your trying waaaay too hard now. And beating the Saints when their on the road is hardly a feat. Guy is fighting for his job for a reason. When hes gone he'll never get another HC gig.

This reminds me of an old saying....

If u r not a part of the solution, u r a part of da problemo

On the other end of the spectrum, guys like Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy and John Fox are considered geniuses.  Was Bill Belichick "part of the problem" for New England's pre-Brady offensive woes? 

LOL A strategist? C'mon bro your trying waaaay too hard now. And beating the Saints when their on the road is hardly a feat. Guy is fighting for his job for a reason. When hes gone he'll never get another HC gig.

Common refrain from the Negative Nancies, but it's baseless bullsh*t speculation. It's incredibly more likely that he'd be scooped up immediately by a team with an offense in place, but struggling defensively. Or a team seeking a defensive identity. Or a franchise looking to boost their national profile - because Rex will absolutely get your team attention.

Yeah, he'll have plenty of opportunities.

Common refrain from the Negative Nancies, but it's baseless bullsh*t speculation. It's incredibly more likely that he'd be scooped up immediately by a team with an offense in place, but struggling defensively. Or a team seeking a defensive identity. Or a franchise looking to boost their national profile - because Rex will absolutely get your team attention.

Actually I think a lot of his future prospects - even if he gets fired after the season - still depends on HOW bad the team finished to get him fired.

If we go 8-8 again and he gets fired, he'll get another HC gig. Probably even 7-9. Or even 6-10 if it's determined that it's largely from too many injuries but (understandably) a pair of 8-8 and 6-10 records apiece will probably get you fired anyway. Even from an owner who supposedly thinks he's the cat's meow.

If we go 4-12 or only win 5-6 games with a healthy roster, it's possible he won't get another shot. But the NFL loves retread coaches, and despite the negative attention he's gotten for himself at times, none of it involved booze/drug rumors or severe personality issues where just about every coach+player hates him, so you never know.

His personality certainly isn't a match for every owner or GM with a HC vacancy. But IMO there aren't enough top-notch HC candidates every single year to think he wouldn't get another shot even if he gets fired here so I think he gets another shot.

Exactly Sperm -as in all the major sports head coaches mainly gets recycled. Teams are afraid to go with a brand new candidate Rex would get another job eventually. That does not mean he is a very good head coach though as we all know.

If we go 4-12 or only win 5-6 games with a healthy roster, it's possible he won't get another shot. But the NFL loves retread coaches,

Exactly Sperm -as in all the major sports head coaches mainly gets recycled. Teams are afraid to go with a brand new candidate Rex would get another job eventually. That does not mean he is a very good head coach though as we all know.

If we go 4-12 or only win 5-6 games with a healthy roster, it's possible he won't get another shot. But the NFL loves retread coaches,

Plus it could be perceived as easier to have him on a shorter leash than a new coach. Ryan has a track record, and if he seems to be repeating the bad parts of that track record (and it results in poor records) then he may get yanked faster (1-2 years) than a first-time coach that a GM still has optimism for (still learning, roster/QB was crap when he was hired, etc.).

At the same time, look at Norv Turner. 7 years as HC with Washington manages 1 playoff appearance before getting fired. Then goes to Oakland and goes 5-11 then 4-12 before getting fired. Then San Diego hires him to take over a team that went 14-2 the prior year and, on paper, arguably had the NFL's strongest roster.

Actually I think a lot of his future prospects - even if he gets fired after the season - still depends on HOW bad the team finished to get him fired.If we go 8-8 again and he gets fired, he'll get another HC gig. Probably even 7-9. Or even 6-10 if it's determined that it's largely from too many injuries but (understandably) a pair of 8-8 and 6-10 records apiece will probably get you fired anyway. Even from an owner who supposedly thinks he's the cat's meow.If we go 4-12 or only win 5-6 games with a healthy roster, it's possible he won't get another shot. But the NFL loves retread coaches, and despite the negative attention he's gotten for himself at times, none of it involved booze/drug rumors or severe personality issues where just about every coach+player hates him, so you never know.His personality certainly isn't a match for every owner or GM with a HC vacancy. But IMO there aren't enough top-notch HC candidates every single year to think he wouldn't get another shot even if he gets fired here so I think he gets another shot.

He was 8-8 last year with a terrible roster. The talent he had on the offensive side of the ball was quite possibly the worst in the league. His defenses are generally built from the CBs in (presumably because he has no clue how important passing is in today's NFL), and last year he might've had the worst pair of CBs in the league for 3/4's of the season. Still, he managed to get his team to .500 with a really bad rookie QB.

The latest refrain from his staunchest opponents, after discovering that calling him the worst coach in the universe didn't work, is that he'll always have the team mired in that 6-9 win zone. That his defenses will always be good enough to keep the team from getting a high draft pick (or, they fear, getting him fired). This is meant as some sort criticism. Somehow it's a bad thing that the coach is so good at something that six wins is probably his floor. While I think it's ridiculously silly to use that against the guy, I also think it's probably true (the win floor, not the ceiling). I really don't see a Rex Ryan team going 4-12.

Jerry Jones will snap him right up. Then again, Herm wasn't even unemployed yet when he got his next job.

The latest refrain from his staunchest opponents, after discovering that calling him the worst coach in the universe didn't work, is that he'll always have the team mired in that 6-9 win zone. That his defenses will always be good enough to keep the team from getting a high draft pick (or, they fear, getting him fired). This is meant as some sort criticism. Somehow it's a bad thing that the coach is so good at something that six wins is probably his floor. While I think it's ridiculously silly to use that against the guy, I also think it's probably true (the win floor, not the ceiling). I really don't see a Rex Ryan team going 4-12.

He's got six first round picks on defense. He better find a way to squeeze a six win defense out of that.

And thus was baseless bullsh*t speculation defeated by a different kind of baseless bullsh*t speculation.

That list is kind of ridiculous because that dude has Jim Harbaugh at like number 3, ahead of his brother who actually beat him in a Super Bowl. 

But based on these rankings there I would put Ryan ahead of Marvin Lewis, who's never won a playoff game, Bruce Arians, Jeff Fisher and Mike Smith, another one who can't win postseason games. 

That puts Ryan at 12th for me. With a case that can be made for 11 as I think everyone and their mother overrates John Fox, but he's got two SB appearances with two different teams so I'll let it go for now.

He's got six first round picks on defense. He better find a way to squeeze a six win defense out of that.

Yeah, and the two from last year - one was the defensive rookie of the year, and the other was the defensive rookie of the month of December. Pretty sure that had nothing to do with coaching, though, because all first rounders are great. That's why all the other teams who took a defensive player in the first round had the DROY, too.

Yeah, and the two from last year - one was the defensive rookie of the year, and the other was the defensive rookie of the month of December. Pretty sure that had nothing to do with coaching, though, because all first rounders are great. That's why all the other teams who took a defensive player in the first round had the DROY, too.

Defensive Rookie of the Month.

And thus was baseless bullsh*t speculation defeated by a different kind of baseless bullsh*t speculation.

As others have noted, my speculation is based on the fact that that the NFL loves retread head coaches, and Rex's record is plenty good enough to get himself another shot. He's far more likely to get another HC gig than not.

Defensive Rookie of the Month.

I'm pretty excited about Milliner. He struggled mightily for 3/4's of the season and came on very strong at the end of the year. It's not easy to play CB in Rex's defense, but Rex got all tough on him (the way you require your head coaches to be) with benchings, and the kid responded extremely positively. That award was quite the acheivement when you consider where he was at the start of the month.

As others have noted, my speculation is based on the fact that that the NFL loves retread head coaches, and Rex's record is plenty good enough to get himself another shot. He's far more likely to get another HC gig than not.

Jim Caldwell got another job.

Rex won't even be done packing up his pretzel M&Ms before he gets an offer.

I'm pretty excited about Milliner. He struggled mightily for 3/4's of the season and came on very strong at the end of the year. It's not easy to play CB in Rex's defense, but Rex got all tough on him (the way you require your head coaches to be) with benchings, and the kid responded extremely positively. That award was quite the acheivement when you consider where he was at the start of the month.

I like Milliner and, as Jets fans, we need to pray that he's the goods.

I guess I'd counter by reminding you and the "others" that Rex was passed over by the team that knew him best (and which has a better record than most at evaluating talent), or that most NFL owners are boring old scolds who won't cotton to a toe-sucking loudmouth being the public face of their franchise. Then I guess I'd suggest that my unsupported argument of words words words was unassailably objective and that your unsupported argument of words words words was "baseless bullsh*t speculation." Then I'd sit back and pop the bubbly.

I guess I'd counter by reminding you and the "others" that Rex was passed over by the team that knew him best (and which has a better record than most at evaluating talent), or that most NFL owners are boring old scolds who won't cotton to a toe-sucking loudmouth being the public face of their franchise. Then I guess I'd suggest that my unsupported argument of words words words was unassailably objective and that your unsupported argument of words words words was "baseless bullsh*t speculation." Then I'd sit back and pop the bubbly.

Before he was hired by the Jets, he wasn't a former head coach with a number of playoff wins under his belt - the kind of guy who typically lands another head coaching job in the NFL.

I guess we'll eventually find out, unless we get really lucky and Rex is named head coach for life here.

Jerry Jones will snap him right up. Then again, Herm wasn't even unemployed yet when he got his next job.

The fact that the Jets got a 4th round pick for that dipsh*t still has to be one of the most hysterically ridiculous things imaginable.  That alone makes it difficult for any Jets' fans to have too much hate for Bradway.

The fact that the Jets got a 4th round pick for that dipsh*t still has to be one of the most hysterically ridiculous things imaginable.  That alone makes it difficult for any Jets' fans to have too much hate for Bradway.

D'Rob, McCariens, Jolly, Nugent - off the top of my head. 

D'Rob, McCariens, Jolly, Nugent - off the top of my head. 

I did emphasize too much, did I not?  I certainly never said none.  :P

After all, he's still the one (along with Tanny) who gave Penny that ridiculous freakin' contract of his, so obviously I don't have too much love for the guy either.

The previous price for tampering with another team's HC was a whole lot higher than a mid-4th round pick.

We got the better end of the deal (Leon Washington), but Bradway got fleeced.

Rex Ryan is #16 as a head coach overall in NFL which is just the right ranking to be because he hasn't done anything the past 3 seasons.

Rex Ryan as a defensive genius is probably top 10 in the NFL because the Jets defense linebackers always excel in his defensive system.

Archived