Our Under/Over On Wins is 6.5?!

TuscanyTile2

Part of Geno's ints had to be him forcing it to WRs who weren't open (since we had crappy WRs). Part of it was also him being a rookie. This year he'll have some legit weapons (decker, jace, CJ2K) plus experience. And there's also the likelihood our D will recover more fumbles.

Maybe I'm way off base but I think the Jets are a 9-10 win team this year. I'm convinced our D is going to be a force and our O will be decent (which would be a huge improvement from last year).

He's still going to have to "force it" because of the "weapons" we have. Decker, Jace, JK, Cumberland aren't speed/fast twitch guys by any means. Hell Decker is known for only be able to run a few routes so it's more than obvious he's not beating anyone deep. Jace is anything but fast and needs a play to create space for him. Once he has it he's ok but he isn't getting seperation by himself. Same with Cumberland.

This entire offense comes down to Geno and how well he plays. Its that simple. Of course the jets do it ass backwards because Geno did nothing in college to suggest he can effectively run the wco/system. On the surface it just doesn't make sense. He was just really bad last year. Guys like him just don't turn around and play really good. If anything it's a slow process and this team/coach can't just wait around for him to "get it". There's just too many negitives about his game to realistically think he's going to turn all of them around in one year.

Also regarding the schedule we all know things change. Players sh*t the bed, get hurt. That could happen to other teams, it also could happen to us. As of right now. If theres no major injuries we're ****ed for the first 10-12 games. Its just brutal. If you're objective theres not more than 3-4 wins there. And for those thinking a 2nd half surge is going to happen. Well if this team starts off 3-7/4-8 the pressure will be on like no other time in the Rex era. It will be Rex watch every week. And please don't tell me that @Tenn or @ Minne in back 2 back weeks is two wins at all. This team has had road troubles for year and theres no reason to think it will change until we see it on a consistant basis.

Here's the last 6 games. The "easy" part

@Buffalo (after bye)

Miami

@Minne

@Tenn

Pats

@Miami

3 Division games and 3 tough road games.

Face it this schedule is just brutal.

He's still going to have to "force it" because of the "weapons" we have. Decker, Jace, JK, Cumberland aren't speed/fast twitch guys by any means. Hell Decker is known for only be able to run a few routes so it's more than obvious he's not beating anyone deep. Jace is anything but fast and needs a play to create space for him. Once he has it he's ok but he isn't getting seperation by himself. Same with Cumberland.

This entire offense comes down to Geno and how well he plays. Its that simple. Of course the jets do it ass backwards because Geno did nothing in college to suggest he can effectively run the wco/system. On the surface it just doesn't make sense. He was just really bad last year. Guys like him just don't turn around and play really good. If anything it's a slow process and this team/coach can't just wait around for him to "get it". There's just too many negitives about his game to realistically think he's going to turn all of them around in one year.

Repeating this nonsense about Decker isn't going to make it true. He wasn't brought in here to stretch the field, he was brought in to stabilize the receiving corps. Decker's job will be a possession receiver who, in this offense, will probably see the most targets. The best of Hill, Ford, and Saunders will be the stretch the field guy. Lumping Kerley in with the TEs as a guy who can't get himself open is also ridiculous. Oh, and btw, Jeff Cumberland ran a 4.45 40 at his pro day. He's a converted WR, and not exactly a slow guy.

The Jets weapons were horrendous last year, perhaps worst in the league horrendous. No one is claiming that all their problems are solved this season. The team seems to be taking the throw a bunch of sh*t at the wall and see what sticks approach. Decker was the top WR available in free agency, they also picked up Ford, and took the #2 or 3 TE in the draft. They drafted three WRs. There's a lot of competition there, and some cream should rise to the top. However much you want to make stuff up to criticize Decker about, he's a major upgrade over Holmes. Chris Johnson is another major piece for the passing game. Chris Ivory can't catch herpes, CJ catches 40 passes a year and makes something happen with them. Having hm in there on passing downs will be a huge boost for the young QB.

And yes, it comes down to the QB. Geno was simply not ready to be thrown into the starting lineup last year. He did not run a pro offense on college, and still needs work on simply taking the ball from center. The last quarter of the season, though, there was a glimmer of that light coming on. His QB rating was up, his turnovers were down. When there was nothing there, he tucked the ball and ran for positive yards. Now he has a year of experience under his belt, and an entire offseason to work on his weaknesses. He did spend some time at Chris Weinke's QB school, which was a nice sign. As a second round pick, this is really his make or break year, and I think he knows it. He also has Mike Vick breathing down his neck. If he completely falls on his face, the Jets have a backup capable of starting for the first time since Vinny Testaverde took over for Glenn Foley.

Oh, and the defense should be better. Barnes comes back. Milliner should be a lot more like the Defensive Player of the Month of December than he was the first 3/4 of the year. Patterson or McDougle should be better than the league's 103rd (or something like that) ranked CB in Antonio Cromartie. The top safety in the draft should improve a perennial weakness.

Despite having no understanding about the importance of the passing game, the Jets did a lot this off season to improve themselves on both sides of the ball in that regard.

I just don't see tr tough schedule, it looks very weak to me

Oakland

@GB

Chicago

Lions

@SD

Denver

@Pats

Bills

@KC

Pitt

BYE

@Bills

Miami

@Minne

@Tenn

Pats

@Miami

That's a brutal schedule. Down play it all you want. That's a 6-8 win year. We might be as good as Buffalo, Tenn etc but we're not better than any of them.

Repeating this nonsense about Decker isn't going to make it true. He wasn't brought in here to stretch the field, he was brought in to stabilize the receiving corps. Decker's job will be a possession receiver who, in this offense, will probably see the most targets. The best of Hill, Ford, and Saunders will be the stretch the field guy. Lumping Kerley in with the TEs as a guy who can't get himself open is also ridiculous. Oh, and btw, Jeff Cumberland ran a 4.45 40 at his pro day. He's a converted WR, and not exactly a slow guy.

The Jets weapons were horrendous last year, perhaps worst in the league horrendous. No one is claiming that all their problems are solved this season. The team seems to be taking the throw a bunch of sh*t at the wall and see what sticks approach. Decker was the top WR available in free agency, they also picked up Ford, and took the #2 or 3 TE in the draft. They drafted three WRs. There's a lot of competition there, and some cream should rise to the top. However much you want to make stuff up to criticize Decker about, he's a major upgrade over Holmes. Chris Johnson is another major piece for the passing game. Chris Ivory can't catch herpes, CJ catches 40 passes a year and makes something happen with them. Having hm in there on passing downs will be a huge boost for the young QB.

And yes, it comes down to the QB. Geno was simply not ready to be thrown into the starting lineup last year. He did not run a pro offense on college, and still needs work on simply taking the ball from center. The last quarter of the season, though, there was a glimmer of that light coming on. His QB rating was up, his turnovers were down. When there was nothing there, he tucked the ball and ran for positive yards. Now he has a year of experience under his belt, and an entire offseason to work on his weaknesses. He did spend some time at Chris Weinke's QB school, which was a nice sign. As a second round pick, this is really his make or break year, and I think he knows it. He also has Mike Vick breathing down his neck. If he completely falls on his face, the Jets have a backup capable of starting for the first time since Vinny Testaverde took over for Glenn Foley.

Oh, and the defense should be better. Barnes comes back. Milliner should be a lot more like the Defensive Player of the Month of December than he was the first 3/4 of the year. Patterson or McDougle should be better than the league's 103rd (or something like that) ranked CB in Antonio Cromartie. The top safety in the draft should improve a perennial weakness.

Despite having no understanding about the importance of the passing game, the Jets did a lot this off season to improve themselves on both sides of the ball in that regard.

Never said Decker was brought in to stretch the field. But he was brought in to be our #1 and he's never been that before. Also he isn't the best route runner, only running 3-4 a game and the same ones.

Cumberland could run a 4.4 but he's slow as sh*t on the field.

Geno is still struggling in camp and doesn;t look good at all.

Dee was rookie of the month not player of the month. And this defense still has huge issues in the lb and secondary corp

I'd take the under on this. I think this is going to be a dismal season that culminates in Rex getting fired along with hopefully Idzick and a long due house cleaning. Hopefully we also lose enough games to land Mariota and then when we can start the comeback from mediocre. 

I'd take the under on this. I think this is going to be a dismal season that culminates in Rex getting fired along with hopefully Idzick and a long due house cleaning. Hopefully we also lose enough games to land Mariota and then when we can start the comeback from mediocre.

A boy can dream...

The only "no chance" type games I see are GB and Denver, and that's assuming both have healthy QBs. Can typically chalk up at least 1 NE game.

Likelihood aside, if we get decent QB play then none of the others are unwinnable. 

Oakland is Oakland

@GB is tough. No doubt about it.

Chicago is all offense no defense, and for all we know Jimmy Clausen will be the QB that week. Who did they beat last year?

Detroit is no powerhouse. They lost to some soft teams down the stretch and truthfully, like Chicago, they didn't really beat a good team all season long.

@SD is hard to predict. Been a very schizophrenic team since Marty was fired. Could beat or lose to anyone in the NFL.

Denver is great, choke job in the SB notwithstanding.

@NE is a tough game (for anyone) as well.

Bills suck.  They'll suck less if Manuel does the turnaround we hope to get from Geno. But they lost their great DC!

@KC is hard to gauge. They were the definition of a paper tiger all season long, but then put up some serious points in the playoffs, and did it against a Colts team with a decent defense, who beat the piss out of their offense a few weeks earlier.  Good team, no doubt. But name a good team they beat in 17 games. You can't, because they didn't.

Pittsburgh just always plays us tough. Even when they start the season 0-4. But even during their good stretch (starting with our game) they still managed to lose to Oakland, Miami, and a meh Ravens team.

@Bills

Miami - no sure-thing loss for any NFL team. It's not like they have no talent, and they're capable of beating teams better than they are (Cincy, NE, Pittsburgh) but when sitting pretty at 8-6 they got shut out by Buffalo and then got beat on by a weak Jets team.

@Min - not impressed.  Their best player (by far) is a poor matchup for our strength. Plus who knows if he'll still be elite this year. And by this time they may be starting their rookie QB.

@Ten - last year's disgusting game with them aside, they're still a beatable team. Just ask Houston, who lost 14 straight after they beat Tennessee. This year Sankey replaces Chris Johnson, but expect to see some Shonn Greene since it's his old team and all that. 

NE - tough, but winnable (as usual)

@Miami - how do they always seem to get a home game against us in December? Is it because by this time they're usually eliminated and the influx of Jets fans in their stadium is the only way they don't get blacked out?

I'm not counting any wins on my fingers except Oakland and probably at least 2 between the Buffalo and Miami games. Hell, I don't even know for certain who our QB is going to be (which is kind of a big deal). But there really are only a few "no f*cking way we win" games in here.  GB, Denver, and even if we take 1 from NE again we're certainly not sweeping them. And we're usually good for at least 1 upset victory per year (as well as a letdown or 3).

Pre-season we're assuming almost all the good teams will still be good and most of the bad teams will improve (everyone except Oakland). Except it never pans out that way.

I could see us winning around 6 games - a dream for many here - and I could see us winning 10 or more (decent QB play certainly wouldn't hurt).  Too early to tell

The only "no chance" type games I see are GB and Denver, and that's assuming both have healthy QBs. Can typically chalk up at least 1 NE game.

Likelihood aside, if we get decent QB play then none of the others are unwinnable. 

Oakland is Oakland

@GB is tough. No doubt about it.

Chicago is all offense no defense, and for all we know Jimmy Clausen will be the QB that week. Who did they beat last year?

Detroit is no powerhouse. They lost to some soft teams down the stretch and truthfully, like Chicago, they didn't really beat a good team all season long.

@SD is hard to predict. Been a very schizophrenic team since Marty was fired. Could beat or lose to anyone in the NFL.

Denver is great, choke job in the SB notwithstanding.

@NE is a tough game (for anyone) as well.

Bills suck.  They'll suck less if Manuel does the turnaround we hope to get from Geno. But they lost their great DC!

@KC is hard to gauge. They were the definition of a paper tiger all season long, but then put up some serious points in the playoffs, and did it against a Colts team with a decent defense, who beat the piss out of their offense a few weeks earlier.  Good team, no doubt. But name a good team they beat in 17 games. You can't, because they didn't.

Pittsburgh just always plays us tough. Even when they start the season 0-4. But even during their good stretch (starting with our game) they still managed to lose to Oakland, Miami, and a meh Ravens team.

@Bills

Miami - no sure-thing loss for any NFL team. It's not like they have no talent, and they're capable of beating teams better than they are (Cincy, NE, Pittsburgh) but when sitting pretty at 8-6 they got shut out by Buffalo and then got beat on by a weak Jets team.

@Min - not impressed.  Their best player (by far) is a poor matchup for our strength. Plus who knows if he'll still be elite this year. And by this time they may be starting their rookie QB.

@Ten - last year's disgusting game with them aside, they're still a beatable team. Just ask Houston, who lost 14 straight after they beat Tennessee. This year Sankey replaces Chris Johnson, but expect to see some Shonn Greene since it's his old team and all that. 

NE - tough, but winnable (as usual)

@Miami - how do they always seem to get a home game against us in December? Is it because by this time they're usually eliminated and the influx of Jets fans in their stadium is the only way they don't get blacked out?

I'm not counting any wins on my fingers except Oakland and probably at least 2 between the Buffalo and Miami games. Hell, I don't even know for certain who our QB is going to be (which is kind of a big deal). But there really are only a few "no f*cking way we win" games in here.  GB, Denver, and even if we take 1 from NE again we're certainly not sweeping them. And we're usually good for at least 1 upset victory per year (as well as a letdown or 3).

Pre-season we're assuming almost all the good teams will still be good and most of the bad teams will improve (everyone except Oakland). Except it never pans out that way.

I could see us winning around 6 games - a dream for many here - and I could see us winning 10 or more (decent QB play certainly wouldn't hurt).  Too early to tell

NE would have beat us by 10+ if they were healthy and didn't lose 90% of Tom's weapons. And they have sweep us enough times that chalking up 1 game as a win sounds like a homer overdosing on kool aid. If their healthy we get swept. They could very easily have a top 5-10 O and D this year/

GB is very tough and have made a big effort to improve their weakness.

Same with the Bears. They have one of the best O's around and have brought in guys that look to be strengths in the run game. Houston is one of the best DE's in terms of stopping the run and they drafted to decent looking prospects early to help on the line. Also added Allen. Their D looks to be better. And even if its not they've shown capable of putting 30+ on a consistent basis. Something we can't do.

The Lions are up and down but we get them early on and they have shown the ability to start fast. Also another team that can put up points in a hurry. Again something we can't do.

I love how you write that NE is tough but winnable lol. They have owned us during the BB/12 era and even since Rex came along they have been the better team on a consistent basis. Their team is absolutely loaded. Their better than us in alomst every single facet of the game and have only got better.

Bills are a division game and they do have some talent. Probably more than us. And as bad as EJ was last year, he was better than Geno and he has better weapons. This Bills team looks to be better than any we've faced recently.

Miami is another divivion foe that will play us tough and you can rest assure they are looking to rebound after looking like a joke at the end of last year. They are no easy W by any means. Best we can hope for imo is a spilt there.

First off no raod game is easy for us. A poor sign of coaching and another reason why I don't like Rex but thats another topic. Minn won't be just a running team this year. They have legit weapons in C.P., Jennings, KR and AP. Thats a very talented O and you can bet Zimmer will be looking to put his stamp on that team and is well aware that giving the ball to AP 30 times a game just isnt going to cut it. There were times last year when C.P. looked like a top ten wr. He's as dangerous as any player in the league with the ball in his hands and can literally score from anywhere.

@Tenn When you listen to posters on jets forum they talk as if a game like this is a gimmie. Well I can assure you that Tenn fans think the exact same way when talking about the jets. We haven't shown anything over the past few years and we're def not a better team. They also have some decent weapons on both sides and again its on the road.

I get it. We're all jet fans here. But you need to put the kool aid down and be objective. We have Geno starting. Not only was he the worst QB in the league last year. Their was a period in which he looked like the worst QB ever over 4-5 games. Seriously couldn't complete 10 ****in passes! Guys like him don't all of a sudden get good. And his flaws? Well he's had them and "been working on them" since high school. Its like when tebow fans would say "what he can't improve his throwing motion"? These things have been there for years and aren't going to get fixed.

This. To build off your assessment, I can also see us winning 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, or 12.

Can't see 3, 4, or 5. I thought one of the reasons Rex sucks is that the team will never win fewer than 6 games... ?

This. To build off your assessment, I can also see us winning 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, or 12.

It's not an assessment.  It's what wouldn't surprise me.

If you asked me that same question last year I wouldn't have answered the same as this year.  I don't know what we have, and through seeing younger talent as they're a little older, or through others' health or injuries, so much can change.  In July '13 I couldn't see a path to 10 wins.  Maybe 8 tops.  And if you told me about all the injuries on top of that, the predictive ceiling would have been even lower than that.

It's not an assessment. It's what wouldn't surprise me.

If you asked me that same question last year I wouldn't have answered the same as this year. I don't know what we have, and through seeing younger talent as they're a little older, or through others' health or injuries, so much can change. In July '13 I couldn't see a path to 10 wins. Maybe 8 tops. And if you told me about all the injuries on top of that, the predictive ceiling would have been even lower than that.

#3-WinTalent

Whatever. You have fun predicting wins for a team - in mid-July - without even knowing who the starting QB is going to be.

blatesman primary operating objective is mocking Rex homers, which his poorly constructed algorithm identifies as anyone who isn't doom and gloom.

Don't blame him, blame his maker

Archived