•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Jets Fan Crash Course?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 jetsbrother

jetsbrother

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Hi all --

I am the brother of one of the biggest Jets fans on the planet, and our father passed away this weekend. They used to watch football all the time, and I've always been the black sheep of the family that doesn't watch football, despite being somewhat interested. I've just never made it a priority keeping up with the sport.

Anyway, I thought I'd try this season to really follow the sport and learn everything I can, if only to partially fill the hole left by our father. I figure anyone that regularly posts on this forum is well-equipped to educate a potentially new Jets fan on all of the inner workings of the team, and perhaps anything else a fan needs to know. Rivalries, recent history, new trades, important plays, etc. Seriously, treat me like a kid that only knows the basics of football, and is just learning about the Jets.

I'm probably asking for a lot, but I figure if you all dump what part of up-to-date Jets knowledge you have or have some good reading material I can plow through, I have a strong memory and can probably shovel it all in there over the next month so I can watch some games without being completely lost. 

Opinions matter too. Who is a bum? Who is great? Which players outside of the Jets do we hate?

Anyway, thanks in advance. 

JetsBrother

#2 jgb

jgb

Darksider

• Members
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

POPULAR

watch re-run of SBIII next time it airs, after that you haven't missed much in the last 45 years.

#3 AirForceJetFan

AirForceJetFan

Veteran

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

Sorry for your loss JB, a noble undertaking on your part for sure, althought there are many Jet "fans" who will make you think you've mistakenly joined a Patriots message board.  Stick around for a bit and you'll be able to figure out who the more level-headed and realistic fans are.  Best for  you to learn from them.

#4 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,610 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Welcome sorry for the loss of your father.

Keep expectations in contrrol and hope for the Super Bowl in my lifetime is my Jets motto.

Pats suck will get you a lot of friends on this site.

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#5 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,730 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

Players to like:

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

C Nick Mangold

WR Eric Decker

WR Jeremy Kerley, a little slot receiver and a fan favorite

DE Muhammed Wilkerson

DE Sheldon Richardson

DT Damon Harrison (AKA "Big Snacks")

K Nick Folk, puns to be made whenever he kicks a game winner include "Folk Hero," "Folk Yeah!" and "Folk You!"

Best Jets to trash on:

CB Kyle Wilson

Rookies to look out for:

S Calvin Pryor, big hitter, went to school in Louisville thus the nickname, "Louisville Slugger"

TE Jace Amaro, big, quick beast of a man but unpolished

G Dakota Dozier, nasty road grader

Enemies of the state:

Bill Belichick, Coach, New England Patriots

Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots

Darelle Revis, CB, New England Patriots/traitor

The Dolphins (the whole team)

Team that you will hate but also pity:

Buffalo Bills

Jets team strengths: defensive line, special teams

Jets team weaknesses: passing game, offensively and defensively

Edited by stoicsentry, 21 July 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#6 The Crusher

The Crusher

More Please!!!

• Moderators
  • 29,534 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

watch re-run of SBIII next time it airs, after that you haven't missed much in the last 45 years.

Sorry for OP's loss.  But JGB summed it up pretty well.

#7 CTM

CTM

At least I'm not a snide little prick

• Members
  • 28,420 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

Very sorry for your loss..

A big thing which will help, put T0mShane on ignore, it really improves the overall Jets fandom experiance

Posted Image

Yeah, I'm totally gay

So ****ing this dude. Unreal.

#8 peebag

peebag

What? Me Worry?

• Members
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

Remember the first time you got kicked in the nuts?  Just think of that experience and imagine it happening over and over and over.....

That's what it's like being a Jets fan.

#9 jgb

jgb

Darksider

• Members
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

Remember the first time you got kicked in the nuts?  Just think of that experience and imagine it happening over and over and over.....

That's what it's like being a Jets fan.

except in this example, you're paying the guy to kick you in the nuts

#10 Jetlife33

Jetlife33

Gotham City Football Club

• Members
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

JetsBrother sorry for your loss. An important thing to know: we hate Tom Brady. If you throw in a "Tom Brady sucks" at the end of your posts, your reputation here will be solid. Stoicsenry had a pretty detailed post so study what he said, as it is all true. And yes, we hate the Dolphins, all of them. 

New-York-Jets-Helmet-2.gif

#11 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,610 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

Also you should hate The Giants-

Like former Jet players- Joe Klecko, Joe Namath , Don Maynard and Curtis Martin - players you see at the top of front page 

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#12 gEYno

gEYno

2013-2014 & 2014-2015 JN Captain & VIP Member

• Members
  • 17,636 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

Your feelings for the starting QB should be proportional to how you would feel about him dating your daughter.

reset_buttonjpgscaled500_zps740f8923.jpg

#13 kay_gee

kay_gee

full time Jets fan, part time troll

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 2,343 posts
  • Locationlive from New York

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

sorry for your loss :(

number 1 rule of being a Jets fan? expect no glory.

#14 JoeC36

JoeC36

JetNation's Keeper Of The Anals

• Moderators
  • 11,758 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

Sorry for your loss. My number 1 bit of advice, get an authentic jersey and a PSL, you aren't a real fan without it. 

edit: I'm just kidding about PSLs and jerseys. The best thing you can do is read as much as possible and listen. You'll form your own opinions of the players, don't let other people influence you.  Interact here. and just enjoy your time watching the game with your family. 

Don't worry about how much you know. It won't change how you enjoy each game. Football is entertainment, that's all. So just enjoy.

Edited by JoeC36, 21 July 2014 - 03:16 PM.

289 Time Post of the Week Loser

#15 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,563 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

PODCAST!!!

http://blogtalkradio.com/JetNation

Isn't somebody supposed to be pimping?

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#16 bergenjets

bergenjets

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

Random notes:

Joe Klecko should be in the Hall of Fame, but isn't.

Mo Wilkerson gets dissed for the Pro-Bowl.

Rich Kotite should be burned in effigy annually.

It is satisfying to poke needles into a Dan Marino voodoo doll for all of the pain caused by the fake spike.

The mention of Doug Brien should create feelings of rage in all Jet fans.

Santonio Holmes is a bum.

#17 BurnleyJet

BurnleyJet

Fan for 30 years (You get less for Murder these days!)

• Members
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

Do you think Mark Gastineau should be forgiven for his roughing the passer, or should he burn in hell?

#18 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,109 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

sorry for your loss

I would recommend the namath biography by mark kriegel as a starting point.  You will learn about the early AFL days, and how sonny werblin and joe namath changed football forever. 

then there are the dark 70's nobody knows anything about that era.  scary.  stay away

the 80's had one eye wesley walker, joe klecko, lots of excitement, and soul crushing losses

the 90's had dennis byrd, parcells and vinny and soul crushing losses

the 00's had pennington and soul crushing losses

the 10's had the butt fumble and soul crushing losses

welcome !!!!

“I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.”

#19 T0mShane

T0mShane

Gluten for punishment

• Members
  • 27,257 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

My condolences.

Re: the Jets. Just don't do it. Take up golf. Begin several bad relationships with emotionally damaged women. Drink too much. Travel. Just don't get mixed up with the Jets or their fans. It's simply not, not ever will it be, worth the time. Run.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#20 JoeC36

JoeC36

JetNation's Keeper Of The Anals

• Moderators
  • 11,758 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

My condolences.

Re: the Jets. Just don't do it. Take up golf. Begin several bad relationships with emotionally damaged women. Drink too much. Travel. Just don't get mixed up with the Jets or their fans. It's simply not, not ever will it be, worth the time. Run.

I do all of the above and I've turned out fine

289 Time Post of the Week Loser

#21 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 58,610 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

Hi all --

I am the brother of one of the biggest Jets fans on the planet, and our father passed away this weekend. They used to watch football all the time, and I've always been the black sheep of the family that doesn't watch football, despite being somewhat interested. I've just never made it a priority keeping up with the sport.

Anyway, I thought I'd try this season to really follow the sport and learn everything I can, if only to partially fill the hole left by our father. I figure anyone that regularly posts on this forum is well-equipped to educate a potentially new Jets fan on all of the inner workings of the team, and perhaps anything else a fan needs to know. Rivalries, recent history, new trades, important plays, etc. Seriously, treat me like a kid that only knows the basics of football, and is just learning about the Jets.

I'm probably asking for a lot, but I figure if you all dump what part of up-to-date Jets knowledge you have or have some good reading material I can plow through, I have a strong memory and can probably shovel it all in there over the next month so I can watch some games without being completely lost. 

Opinions matter too. Who is a bum? Who is great? Which players outside of the Jets do we hate?

Anyway, thanks in advance. 

JetsBrother

So sorry for your loss.  This is great what you are trying to do.

Just hang around the forums, read a lot. You will pick things up quickly!

The largest independent community of NY Jets fans on the web. Visit our blog, Facebook page and Twitter.

#22 LWC611

LWC611

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

My condolences...The fist annirversary of my father's passing was last week.   I think what you are doing is honorable.  Hanging around the messages boards will give you a lot of information... But a greater amount of opnion.   Since your brother is as you say the biggest Jets fan.  I am sure he could answer a lot of your questions and it will give you an opportunity to bond, or at least get closer in this most difficult time. 

Come here for fun....Talk to your brother about the Jets.  I am sure that he would really like the fact that you are trying to take interest. 

I will keep you and your family in my prayers...

Again my condolences.   

Edited by LWC611, 22 July 2014 - 06:49 AM.

Just Enjoy The Season

#23 Patriot Killa

Patriot Killa

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

watch re-run of SBIII next time it airs, after that you haven't missed much in the last 45 years.

Lmfao. This guy.

#24 Il Mostro

Il Mostro

Cazzone

• Members
  • 4,976 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

Sorry for your loss.

Healthy doses of low self esteem and self loathing will go a long way in your journey towards true Jet fandom. 

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun.

#25 jetsbrother

jetsbrother

New Kid On The Block

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for all of the starting info, guys. Here's what 24 hours of soaking up the information (including lunch with my brother) got me:

* Don't say "the Jets" when discussing the Jets, say "we"
* holy sh*t, some of these first names are going to be hard to memorize
* Being a fan after Super Bowl 3 is basically like being repeatedly punched in the dick
* Mark Sanchez' butt fumble was a hard, long lasting dickpunch
* Sanchez is now benched on the Eagles, and Vick came from the Eagles to sit on our bench
* Geno Smith was started even as a rookie and will continue to be started
* Vick isn't started because he has a tendency to be injured and we want Smith to become our next great QB
* Smith is currently rated 30/32 out of QBs, but we are still optimistic
* you can win with good defense, but not without a decent QB
* The reason we hate the pats and the dolphins are because they are in our division, and every division winner goes to the playoffs.
* This is also the reason we pity the Bills.
* The reason we hate the pats the most is that they seem to be our biggest division threat
* pats suck
* tom brady sucks
* tom brady is ranked #2 after peyton manning currently (from that guy that put Smith at 30)
* tom brady still sucks
* If we don't win our division, we're going to need a better record than 8-8 to get a shot at a "wildcard" spot
* our head coach Rex Ryan hasn't made it to the playoffs the last 3 years, and has been coach for going on 5 now, which is "bad"
* recently Ryan started sounding like "the old Ryan" (not sure what that means, but is apparently positive)
* our first game this season is against the raiders, which we have a good shot at winning
* people are concerned we're going to go 1-6 into the season because our schedule is front loaded with hard teams, but we need to try to win 3 of them
* new rookies sound like they're going to be good weapons for our defense
* Folk yeah
* buy a cup, more dickpunches are coming
* "and the hoooome ... of theeeeee ... JETS"

Corrections/additions are welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users