WalterFootball - 2014 NFL Season Preview: (Feel the Hate Version)

BurnleyJet

Really, 2-14 is the second best possible outcome for this season. The best outcome would involve Geno Smith and Quentin Coples becoming Pro Bowl caliber players at their positions, which would propel the Jets toward contention for, at least, the division. In lieu of that happening, though, being in position to start over with Mariota and a new staff would be fine.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really, 2-14 is the second best possible outcome for this season. The best outcome would involve Geno Smith and Quentin Coples becoming Pro Bowl caliber players at their positions, which would propel the Jets toward contention for, at least, the division. In lieu of that happening, though, being in position to start over with Mariota and a new staff would be fine.

Agreed.  7-9 is not superior to 2-14.  Is Mariota your top QB in '15?

Agreed. 7-9 is not superior to 2-14. Is Mariota your top QB in '15?

Right now? Probably. I like that he went back to school to put weight on and learn how to play from the pocket. Remains to be seen if he can do it, though. The other guy I'm interested in is Bryce Petty.

Look, as a dog owner, I despise Vick. But the guy refuses to name him, which is awfully childish. Is not naming him getting this guy points with somebody? This whole "he who shall not be named" crap accomplishes nothing.

As much as I'd like to see Ryan sent packing give the devil his due; his defense and a schedule with 4 games vs. the Fins and Bills and several other tomato cans looks to me at worst as 6-10 or 7-9. Which again will put the Richie Rich owner in position to come out on his balcony and declare "progress is being made" and save the job of his good buddy HC for another season at least. The worst case scneario, Occam's Razor, is probably the future.

Wow!!!!

I think all he is trying to do is support his 2015 mock draft where at one point he had the Jets with the first overall pick...now I think the Jets have the third pick

His draft grades for the jets picks are not any kinder...

But this is why they play the games...Ultimtaely I hope the Jets shut this guy and all of the haters up with good play on the field.  

Really just totally disagree.

You could make a case for wanting this type of season in Tannenbaum's last year, which probably would've resulted in a complete house cleaning. Or even last year, when you were rooting for Idzik to fire Rex at his first opportunity. But now we're in the second year of Idzik/Rex/Mornhinweg/Geno, and a total implosion at this point would be a total waste of these two years. Idzik signed free agents and drafted players to help Mornhinweg and Geno take the offense to the next level this season. That's what I want to see. A 2-14 type disaster would mean that not only does Rex suck, but everybody sucks. There would have to be breakdowns everywhere.

If the defense improves this year, and the offense shows some signs of life -but maybe Geno isn't the answer- and the result is an 8 or 9 win season, that's a much better result for me than anything Kotitian. Idzik drafted 19 players over the last two years, including three first rounders. If he feels he's a QB away next year, he can package some picks together and move to the top of the draft and take one. I'd much rather add that QB to a team with a solid defense/running game/coaching staff/front office/etc., than the absolute complete overhaul that 2-14 would bring.

You could make a case for wanting this type of season in Tannenbaum's last year, which probably would've resulted in a complete house cleaning. Or even last year, when you were rooting for Idzik to fire Rex at his first opportunity. But now we're in the second year of Idzik/Rex/Mornhinweg/Geno, and a total implosion at this point would be a total waste of these two years. Idzik signed free agents and drafted players to help Mornhinweg and Geno take the offense to the next level this season. That's what I want to see. A 2-14 type disaster would mean that not only does Rex suck, but everybody sucks. There would have to be breakdowns everywhere.

If the defense improves this year, and the offense shows some signs of life -but maybe Geno isn't the answer- and the result is an 8 or 9 win season, that's a much better result for me than anything Kotitian. Idzik drafted 19 players over the last two years, including three first rounders. If he feels he's a QB away next year, he can package some picks together and move to the top of the draft and take one. I'd much rather add that QB to a team with a solid defense/running game/coaching staff/front office/etc., than the absolute complete overhaul that 2-14 would bring.

On this one, I agree with Tom.  Lets say that after next year we can be confident that Geno isn't the answer.  And the team ends up at 6-10.  What do you do?  Mortgage your entire draft to move up for another rookie?  As fans, we've lived with this for years, and when we last made the big move up, we got the Sanchize.  So, we continued not having a QB.  If Geno isn't the answer, we need a solution at the position, and I don't like the option of hoping the 3rd best QB falls to you.

On this one, I agree with Tom.  Lets say that after next year we can be confident that Geno isn't the answer.  And the team ends up at 6-10.  What do you do?  Mortgage your entire draft to move up for another rookie?  As fans, we've lived with this for years, and when we last made the big move up, we got the Sanchize.  So, we continued not having a QB.  If Geno isn't the answer, we need a solution at the position, and I don't like the option of hoping the 3rd best QB falls to you.

I'm not sure I can even agree that a two win season > a six win season, but T0m is saying that 2-14 is the second best possible outcome and I definitely disagree strongly with that.

If the team finishes 2-14, absolutely everything went wrong. You need to can everyone from Idzik on down, then hope the next people stepping in are right about the QB they select. I'd strongly prefer to be on the right track, and then mortgage the draft. Like I said, he's got 19 picks and three first rounders already under his belt. If he does one Tannenbaum draft for a QB, then goes back to his as many picks as possible ways the following year, I have absolutely no problem with that at all. To me, it's significantly more preferable.

I'm not sure I can even agree that a two win season > a six win season, but T0m is saying that 2-14 is the second best possible outcome and I definitely disagree strongly with that.

If the team finishes 2-14, absolutely everything went wrong. You need to can everyone from Idzik on down, then hope the next people stepping in are right about the QB they select. I'd strongly prefer to be on the right track, and then mortgage the draft. Like I said, he's got 19 picks and three first rounders already under his belt. If he does one Tannenbaum draft for a QB, then goes back to his as many picks as possible ways the following year, I have absolutely no problem with that at all. To me, it's significantly more preferable.

nobody wants to see an implosion. i think tom wouldn't mind 2-14 mainly because it would be curtains for rex--being in position to pick the best QB in the draft is icing.

I don't think a 2-14 season is likely--at all--but if it occurs, it's hardly the worst thing in the world. No one is trading you into the top-3 to take one of the big QBs (assuming they're still "big QBs" after the draft process plays out). Going 7-9, 8-8 with Geno muddling through another year (enabling the 7-9) is nowheresville as a franchise. Seven years into a regime and still scuffling at QB? And you're going to give them year another highly-drafted rookie?

I also disagree that Idzik, Rex, and Mornhinweg is some type of package deal, as evidenced by the one-year deals Rex and Mornhinweg are working under. Both are readily expendable if Woody decides to be in Cabo in January.

I don't think a 2-14 season is likely--at all--but if it occurs, it's hardly the worst thing in the world. No one is trading you into the top-3 to take one of the big QBs (assuming they're still "big QBs" after the draft process plays out). Going 7-9, 8-8 with Geno muddling through another year (enabling the 7-9) is nowheresville as a franchise. Seven years into a regime and still scuffling at QB? And you're going to give them year another highly-drafted rookie?

I also disagree that Idzik, Rex, and Mornhinweg is some type of package deal, as evidenced by the one-year deals Rex and Mornhinweg are working under. Both are readily expendable if Woody decides to be in Cabo in January.

Idzik must be so happy that he is in year 7.  Did they give him back pay?

The cat is nuts. The 2014 New York Jets are WINNING the AFC Eastern Division and going 11-5-no really, I kid you not. Something unexpected is going to happen within the division, Brady is going to get old like Marino just suddenly did, Tannenhill will turn into Jay Feidler, and the Bills will continue to be the bills while Michael Vick becomes Comeback Player Of The Year and leads the Jets to the Super Bowl

Seven years into a regime and still scuffling at QB? And you're going to give them year another highly-drafted rookie?

Idzik must be so happy that he is in year 7.  Did they give him back pay?

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.  Apparently this is all the Rex show in Tom's mind.

The cat is nuts. The 2014 New York Jets are WINNING the AFC Eastern Division and going 11-5-no really, I kid you not. Something unexpected is going to happen within the division, Brady is going to get old like Marino just suddenly did, Tannenhill will turn into Jay Feidler, and the Bills will continue to be the bills while Michael Vick becomes Comeback Player Of The Year and leads the Jets to the Super Bowl

We've been hoping Brady's age would do him in each of the last 2 to 3 seasons and it still hasn't happened.  Only thing holding them back from yet another dominant division title win would be another Gronk injury.  Brady's still Brady.

We've been hoping Brady's age would do him in each of the last 2 to 3 seasons and it still hasn't happened.  Only thing holding them back from yet another dominant division title win would be another Gronk injury.  Brady's still Brady.

some would disagree

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/06/02/tom-brady-not-a-top-five-nfl-quarterback-according-to-pro-football-focus-and-espn/

Pats have had excellent pass protection throughout Brady's career and Brady with time makes all the right throws. His receivers have been awful though. Pats are certainly beatable....but they prepare better than any other team in football. The Jets throw parades after wins.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.  Apparently this is all the Rex show in Tom's mind.

Rex wasn't the GM.  T0m has a point that he shares some responsiblity for the roster, but I don't think we have any idea how much.  I can say that the guys he let go are not exactly tearing up the league elsewhere.  I hope that Idzik knows and has the authority to deal with Rex and Mornhinweg as he sees fit. 

Rex wasn't the GM.  T0m has a point that he shares some responsiblity for the roster, but I don't think we have any idea how much.  I can say that the guys he let go are not exactly tearing up the league elsewhere.  I hope that Idzik knows and has the authority to deal with Rex and Mornhinweg as he sees fit. 

Tom lumps them all together in his mind.  Woody hired Tannenbaum who hired Rex.  Tannenbaum was terrible so Woody fired Tannenbaum (finally) and hired Idzik.  In Tom's mind, Idzik kept Rex around not because Idzik thought Rex was an asset and deserved another year, but because of Woody. 

The owner, former GM, and current coach can't ALL be idiots.  SOMEONE has been responsible for at least delivering this team a respectable 42-38 record and 4 playoff victories over the course of the last 5 seasons despite so many clowns in the room in the Owner's box, the Front Office, and behind center. 

This. As counterintuitive as it might be would rather the Jets flameout and force a total cleanout of the CS along with a shot at a top QB in the draft. And unfortunately as twisted as it seems Rex Ryan's defense acts as a high floor even as his offense acts as a low ceiling. Fully expect a muddled middle outcome of 6-8 wins and enough happytalk nonsense to make Johnson's decision to retain Ryan again plausbily defensible. 

"The owner, former GM, and current coach can't ALL be idiots" isn't an argument.

When you neglect the 2nd part of the statement, you are correct.  My point is that an idiot triumvirate of owner-GM-coach (QB too if you want to throw that in there and make a foursome) usually does far worse than 42-38.  Remember the Matt Millen years in Detroit?  Yeah.  That's what you usually get.

I'd ask that PFF writer who are the 5 guys ahead of Brady on that list.  Manning, Rodgers, Brees....who are the other 2 guys?  Luck?  Rivers?  Don't think so.

they say Rivers and Big Ben. Luck is certainly on the cusp.

It's somewhat ironic that the Pats fans respond with the Jets fans mantra that Tom's weaponz weren't good enough. 

And maybe that's a good point. 

Still, everything comes to an end eventually, even the dominance of Tom Brady. 

The sad truth is that this most likely happens. Geno struggles immensely but Ryan's vaunted defense gives us enough wins against the likes of the Raiders, Bills, and Fins to keep us out of yet another chance at landing a touted qb. Perpetual mediocrity.

Archived