•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Rex: Geno Is Head & Shoulders Above Last Year

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 JetNation

JetNation

Transition Player

• Members
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

Geno Smith, Michael Vick

The Jets haven’t even practiced yet, but Rex Ryan immediately praised Geno Smith.

I think Geno, really, I think he’s head and shoulders above where he was last year, I don’t think there is any doubt about that.  Even just from the fundamental part of the game, David Lee is, I think as good a fundamental teacher as there is in the game, I think Geno has really picked up Marty’s (Mornhinweg) system, and our system.  And the strides that he made late in the year, and you guys saw it too in the minicamps.  I know I’m not just saying it, you guys see it. So I think he is way ahead of where he was last year, I know his confidence level, how comfortable he is with this system, I think goes a long way.

Rex who always seems to be around when big statements are made also added this one.

I don’t know if we have had a better quarterback situation since I have been the head coach here.

Although, upon further review, that probably isn’t that big of a statement when you considered all the years that Mark Brunnel was the backup QB under Rex and behind Mark Sanchez. Rex wouldn’t officially commit to a timeline for naming a starting QB.

Geno Smith says he plans on continuing to work hard and that if he stays healthy he hopes to be the starter. Geno did chime in on the benefits of competing with Michael Vick.

I expect it to help a lot. Mike is a guy who has proven himself in this league. He’s a guy that can obviously get it done and for me to go up against a guy like that means a lot. To be able to compete with him and learn from him is definitely going to help me out.

Michael Vick wouldn’t comment on his desire to be the starting QB. He stressed that having two QB’s is important, “I think what we have to be able to compete and show our coaches that they can depend on both of us. ”

Geno Smith, Michael Vick

View the full article

#2 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 15,221 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

Wishful thinking.And talk is cheap.
Objective-Santa Clara, California

Super Bowl 50-February 7th, 2015

#3 gEYno

gEYno

2013-2014 & 2014-2015 JN Captain & VIP Member

• Members
  • 18,145 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

Wishful thinking.And talk is cheap.

Yup. It is completely impossible that Geno improved.

reset_buttonjpgscaled500_zps740f8923.jpg

#4 T0mShane

T0mShane

You can smell the death upon him.

• Members
  • 29,773 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

POPULAR

If there's one area where Rex has earned our absolute trust, it's when he's talking about how much his quarterback has improved every July.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#5 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 36,085 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

If there's one area where Rex has earned our absolute trust, it's when he's talking about how much his quarterback has improved every July.

This post could have written itself it's so true, but LOL anyway.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#6 jgb

jgb

Darksider

• Members
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

Yup. It is completely impossible that Geno improved.

geno could improve immensly and still suck. that's also a possibility

#7 gEYno

gEYno

2013-2014 & 2014-2015 JN Captain & VIP Member

• Members
  • 18,145 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

I get the point, but I don't really agree.

I think even if Geno doesn't improve at all, and his WRs stay healthy, he'll be noticeably better.  I think if he improves as well, the difference will be significant.

reset_buttonjpgscaled500_zps740f8923.jpg

#8 jgb

jgb

Darksider

• Members
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

I think even if Geno doesn't improve at all, and his WRs stay healthy, he'll be noticeably better.  I think if he improves as well, the difference will be significant.

here's hoping

#9 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 23,257 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

I don't doubt Geno is- but if Winters and Aboushi are our starting guards it's not going to matter all that much.

Edited by Matt39, 24 July 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#10 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

Bring me Solo and the Wookie

• Members
  • 18,269 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

I think even if Geno doesn't improve at all, and his WRs stay healthy, he'll be noticeably better. I think if he improves as well, the difference will be significant.

I concur. If Geno has improved, my deductive reasoning tells me that he will play better. On the other hand, if he has not improved, he will probably not play better.

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#11 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 26,121 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

No matter Rex has to tone it down- stop the talking - show the results

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#12 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,351 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

I concur. If Geno has improved, my deductive reasoning tells me that he will play better. On the other hand, if he has not improved, he will probably not play better.

Actually, you don't concur.  EY said that if Geno doesn't improve he will still play better because...weapnz.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#13 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

This. 

Tank for Teddy.

#14 NJ

NJ

Almost Unwatchable

• Members
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

10-4 bro - he's starting with the bombasticity again there's nothing positive about it - show it on the field.

NATION....... JETNATION

#15 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 9,006 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

Whatever, I believe it. Geno seems like a fairly intelligent kid and that goes a long way towards improving. Tavon Austin is talented as all hell, but is dumber than a brick and had trouble contributing because he couldn't read the play book. Geno's got the talent and if he can learn the game and position better, I have zero doubt he'll be much improved this season.

#16 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Why should he? The entire organization acted like they DID show results last season and he was rewarded for 8-8 with a new contract. I'm sure they are still sore for all the patting each other on the back. 

Tank for Teddy.

#17 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,835 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Last season, there were times I wished Sanchez wasn't hurt. And I HATE Sanchez.

#18 RutgersJetFan

RutgersJetFan

Bring me Solo and the Wookie

• Members
  • 18,269 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Actually, you don't concur.  EY said that if Geno doesn't improve he will still play better because...weapnz.

wYkU5Yn.gif

(Chandler)'s a nice piece as long as he's the 7th most important player on your roster....I think they're going to be disappointed when they see he's just a pumped-up Drew Gooden.

#19 jgb

jgb

Darksider

• Members
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

it's the indian, not the arrow

#20 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,535 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

This is just like predicting SuperBowl victories. Exactly the same. No different. F'ing Rex, man.

Edited by JiF, 24 July 2014 - 01:33 PM.

Posted Image

#21 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,788 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

Rex, just say 'My guys look great' That covers the egos and doesnt put pressure/spotlight on a individual.

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#22 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 26,121 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

Jet fans have seen enough of bad QB play the last 40 or so years- we do not want to hear it Rex- let Geno show it on the field.

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#23 jack48

jack48

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 5,264 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

I think Geno is okay, as far as the mental part of the game. Not sure how much touch he has. He can fire it up the seam, and get distance on his passes. It is those in between ones that worry me. Can he stick it into a small space, can he throw that pass that breaks a closely covered guy into the open? How are his screen and swing passes. I don't recall him doing those that well last year. I did not see the last 4 games tho. I guess I missed the good part.

Edited by jack48, 24 July 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#24 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,788 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

in last few years we may have won more games by ONLY running and throwing high% passes to RBs behind line of scimmage. If no score or FG, then punt and let our Defense take over. 

I am serious guys....

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#25 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 29,075 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

I think Geno is okay, as far as the mental part of the game. Not sure how much touch he has. He can fire it up the seam, and get distance on his passes. It is those in between ones that worry me. Can he stick it into a small space, can he throw that pass that breaks a closely covered guy into the open? How are his screen and swing passes. I don't recall him doing those that well last year. I did not see the last 4 games tho. I guess I missed the good part.

Thing is, since I never watched him in college, I don't know how much of that is the limit of his ability and how much of it is him thinking about too many things at once. Didn't they say yesterday that every dropback he was still counting his own steps in his head because it wasn't close to second nature yet? That's pretty bad, but it's also a handicap that doesn't continue forever.

JetNation.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users