Rex: Geno Is Head & Shoulders Above Last Year

JetNation

Geno Smith, Michael Vick

The Jets haven’t even practiced yet, but Rex Ryan immediately praised Geno Smith.

I think Geno, really, I think he’s head and shoulders above where he was last year, I don’t think there is any doubt about that.  Even just from the fundamental part of the game, David Lee is, I think as good a fundamental teacher as there is in the game, I think Geno has really picked up Marty’s (Mornhinweg) system, and our system.  And the strides that he made late in the year, and you guys saw it too in the minicamps.  I know I’m not just saying it, you guys see it. So I think he is way ahead of where he was last year, I know his confidence level, how comfortable he is with this system, I think goes a long way.

Rex who always seems to be around when big statements are made also added this one.

I don’t know if we have had a better quarterback situation since I have been the head coach here.

Although, upon further review, that probably isn’t that big of a statement when you considered all the years that Mark Brunnel was the backup QB under Rex and behind Mark Sanchez. Rex wouldn’t officially commit to a timeline for naming a starting QB.

Geno Smith says he plans on continuing to work hard and that if he stays healthy he hopes to be the starter. Geno did chime in on the benefits of competing with Michael Vick.

I expect it to help a lot. Mike is a guy who has proven himself in this league. He’s a guy that can obviously get it done and for me to go up against a guy like that means a lot. To be able to compete with him and learn from him is definitely going to help me out.

Michael Vick wouldn’t comment on his desire to be the starting QB. He stressed that having two QB’s is important, “I think what we have to be able to compete and show our coaches that they can depend on both of us. ”

Geno Smith, Michael Vick

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Ven87sLz9A4

View the full article

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If there's one area where Rex has earned our absolute trust, it's when he's talking about how much his quarterback has improved every July.

This post could have written itself it's so true, but LOL anyway.

geno could improve immensly and still suck. that's also a possibility

I get the point, but I don't really agree.

I think even if Geno doesn't improve at all, and his WRs stay healthy, he'll be noticeably better.  I think if he improves as well, the difference will be significant.

I think even if Geno doesn't improve at all, and his WRs stay healthy, he'll be noticeably better.  I think if he improves as well, the difference will be significant.

here's hoping

I think even if Geno doesn't improve at all, and his WRs stay healthy, he'll be noticeably better. I think if he improves as well, the difference will be significant.

I concur. If Geno has improved, my deductive reasoning tells me that he will play better. On the other hand, if he has not improved, he will probably not play better.

I concur. If Geno has improved, my deductive reasoning tells me that he will play better. On the other hand, if he has not improved, he will probably not play better.

Actually, you don't concur.  EY said that if Geno doesn't improve he will still play better because...weapnz.

No matter Rex has to tone it down- stop the talking - show the results

10-4 bro - he's starting with the bombasticity again there's nothing positive about it - show it on the field.

Whatever, I believe it. Geno seems like a fairly intelligent kid and that goes a long way towards improving. Tavon Austin is talented as all hell, but is dumber than a brick and had trouble contributing because he couldn't read the play book. Geno's got the talent and if he can learn the game and position better, I have zero doubt he'll be much improved this season.

No matter Rex has to tone it down- stop the talking - show the results

Why should he? The entire organization acted like they DID show results last season and he was rewarded for 8-8 with a new contract. I'm sure they are still sore for all the patting each other on the back. 

I think Geno is okay, as far as the mental part of the game. Not sure how much touch he has. He can fire it up the seam, and get distance on his passes. It is those in between ones that worry me. Can he stick it into a small space, can he throw that pass that breaks a closely covered guy into the open? How are his screen and swing passes. I don't recall him doing those that well last year. I did not see the last 4 games tho. I guess I missed the good part.

I think Geno is okay, as far as the mental part of the game. Not sure how much touch he has. He can fire it up the seam, and get distance on his passes. It is those in between ones that worry me. Can he stick it into a small space, can he throw that pass that breaks a closely covered guy into the open? How are his screen and swing passes. I don't recall him doing those that well last year. I did not see the last 4 games tho. I guess I missed the good part.

Thing is, since I never watched him in college, I don't know how much of that is the limit of his ability and how much of it is him thinking about too many things at once. Didn't they say yesterday that every dropback he was still counting his own steps in his head because it wasn't close to second nature yet? That's pretty bad, but it's also a handicap that doesn't continue forever.

Thing is, since I never watched him in college, I don't know how much of that is the limit of his ability and how much of it is him thinking about too many things at once. Didn't they say yesterday that every dropback he was still counting his own steps in his head because it wasn't close to second nature yet? That's pretty bad, but it's also a handicap that doesn't continue forever.

Geno is normally a confident guy, I think. Last year he was insecure and it showed. He certainly did not look "natural" in a pro pocket. His arm looked good, strength wise. We shall see. I have hopes. I would not say high hopes. Maybe slightly elevated hopes.

Geno is normally a confident guy, I think. Last year he was insecure and it showed. He certainly did not look "natural" in a pro pocket. His arm looked good, strength wise. We shall see. I have hopes. I would not say high hopes. Maybe slightly elevated hopes.

Well that's kind of my point.  If all he did in college, and all he was capable of doing, was throwing 5-yard dumpoffs to Austin, then - even with his draft day slide - how could he have been considered the frontrunner for the #1 overall pick for at least the first half of his senior season. He's not the first college QB to put up gaudy numbers and won't be the last.  Great college numbers don't get you favored for the #1 pick; you have to do more than that.  Look at Tebow's numbers for years, and no one ever thought of him as a #1 overall pick. Hell, it was kind of a shock when he went in the first round at all.

He may still be a terrible pro QB, but what I remember of his inaccuracy was that he was behind his receivers a lot (as opposed to being off the mark in all directions with no particular pattern).  The optimist in me says that's from hesitation, from concentration on other things, and lack of experience (overall and with these receivers) so he isn't ready for any improvisation in their routes; and these things caused him to throw late or not anticipate properly.  The pessimist in me says option QB in college or no, a really good HS QB would know enough to at least anticipate their locations in routes where they weren't changing direction, and that if he's off by a yard that's inaccuracy not a lack of awareness of which pattern someone's running.

We'll find out shortly. Ryan says he's improved a whole lot. Then again, he had a lot to improve, and that this isn't exactly the first time we've heard this out of Ryan's mouth. 

Like Sanchez, he has the physical ability to make every throw, and it isn't like he isn't athletic or anything. But being a good NFL QB is a bit more than that.

Well that's kind of my point.  If all he did in college, and all he was capable of doing, was throwing 5-yard dumpoffs to Austin, then - even with his draft day slide - how could he have been considered the frontrunner for the #1 overall pick for at least the first half of his senior season. He's not the first college QB to put up gaudy numbers and won't be the last.  Great college numbers don't get you favored for the #1 pick; you have to do more than that.  Look at Tebow's numbers for years, and no one ever thought of him as a #1 overall pick. Hell, it was kind of a shock when he went in the first round at all.

He may still be a terrible pro QB, but what I remember of his inaccuracy was that he was behind his receivers a lot (as opposed to being off the mark in all directions with no particular pattern).  The optimist in me says that's from hesitation, from concentration on other things, and lack of experience (overall and with these receivers) so he isn't ready for any improvisation in their routes; and these things caused him to throw late or not anticipate properly.  The pessimist in me says option QB in college or no, a really good HS QB would know enough to at least anticipate their locations in routes where they weren't changing direction, and that if he's off by a yard that's inaccuracy not a lack of awareness of which pattern someone's running.

We'll find out shortly. Ryan says he's improved a whole lot. Then again, he had a lot to improve, and that this isn't exactly the first time we've heard this out of Ryan's mouth. 

Like Sanchez, he has the physical ability to make every throw, and it isn't like he isn't athletic or anything. But being a good NFL QB is a bit more than that.

I noticed he was behind on crossing patterns. But then i thought he might have expected his receivers to stop. No one misses someone by that much. And seeing as he had some lulus running routes, maybe it was some of that. I am looking forward to watching him his year.

Archived