Training camp updates day two (Friday 7/25)

Maxman

I've been following the training camp daily for the last 6 years, and this is the first year that the first few practices were not disasters for the Offense, and excuses flying every year that it takes a little while for the Offense to catch up to the D blah, blah, blah!  Starting to get real excited about this team, just when you think your out they suck you right back in lol.

You're absolutely right on that. For as long as I can remember I've always heard how the offenses bad start was because they where off to a "slow" start. I can't even remember hearing about QB's recognizing coverages and calling audibles for completions. It could have happened, but then again they were off to a "slow start" all those other years. 

Geno Smith will end up being the steal of the 2nd round if he can continue to progress, and that wont be good news for Bills fans if Manuel doesn't pan out...especially with all that talent at WR over there. 

I'm feeling good about this year. I've already made the call on a 12 win season. 

Chris Lopresti ‏@CLoprestiWFAN 1m

Shaq Evans on with 2's wide left. They throw him a quick screen and he drops it. Yikes... #NYJ

Brian Bassett ‏@Brian_Bassett 26s

McDougle and Campbell tussled on the far side of the field after a play... collision and some bad feelings.

Seth Walder ‏@SethWalderNYDN 31s

Geno got 72.2% of first-team reps today -- right in the Marty zone.

McDougle will end up being one of the faces of the defense. Day 1 he picks off Tajh to end the day, Day 2 he's all up in guys faces. Its also good to know that Calvin Pryor has is back too. lol. 

Outside of McDougle. 

Haven't heard anything on Pryor though. Nothing good or bad. 

One report said McDougle did not look so good yesterday.  He made a nice play but was supposedly getting beat.  I think we have too much of a tendency to think a guy had a bad day if they report one drop or a good day if he had one pick or one good catch somebody tweets about. 

Outside of McDougle. 

Haven't heard anything on Pryor though. Nothing good or bad. 

Reports on Pryor are pretty meaningless until they play other teams and are trying to lay people out.

I've been following the training camp daily for the last 6 years, and this is the first year that the first few practices were not disasters for the Offense, and excuses flying every year that it takes a little while for the Offense to catch up to the D blah, blah, blah!  Starting to get real excited about this team, just when you think your out they suck you right back in lol.

You're absolutely right on that. For as long as I can remember I've always heard how the offenses bad start was because they where off to a "slow" start. I can't even remember hearing about QB's recognizing coverages and calling audibles for completions. It could have happened, but then again they were off to a "slow start" all those other years. 

Geno Smith will end up being the steal of the 2nd round if he can continue to progress, and that wont be good news for Bills fans if Manuel doesn't pan out...especially with all that talent at WR over there. 

I'm feeling good about this year. I've already made the call on a 12 win season. 

This is a good point.  It goes beyond the offense to the style of offense.  A smashmouth ground and pound team is going to look bad with the pads off play touch.  Idzik seems to have placed a high priority on speed.  Guys like Chris Johnson, Jacoby Ford and Saunders will look better in 7 on 7s and with shells on.  Ivory and Shonn Greene will look like sh*t in those situations. 

It seems Idzik has also placed a pretty high priority on "nasty" offensive linemen that go to the whistle.  I have heard that about Colon, Giacomini, Winters and Dozier.  Aboushi was supposedly too aggressive in college and took penalties for going after the whistle.  This kind of thing is probably what got Campbell in a scuffle with McDougle.  It's good when you play other teams but causes trouble in practice. 

It seems Idzik has also placed a pretty high priority on "nasty" offensive linemen that go to the whistle.  I have heard that about Colon, Giacomini, Winters and Dozier.  Aboushi was supposedly too aggressive in college and took penalties for going after the whistle.  This kind of thing is probably what got Campbell in a scuffle with McDougle.  It's good when you play other teams but causes trouble in practice. 

#BringBackRobTurner

By Dom Cosentino | NJ.com 
Follow on Twitter 
on July 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM, updated July 25, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Reddit

Email

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The Jets' quarterback competition is neither an open competition nor a controversy, no matter what Jets brass might still be might saying publicly.

Head coach Rex Ryan can keep calling it a competition, and general manager John Idzik can say all he wants that the situation isn't "titled"toward Geno Smith, but the reality is obvious: Smith has the advantage over Michael Vick. It's Smith's job to lose, and it's been that way since organized team activities and minicamp. Vick, of all people, has had no problem making that clear.

But since neither quarterback has officially been named a starter, we're going to chart their progress from up here until that happens. Here's how things looked on Day 3 of training camp on Friday, the second day of practice.

Geno Smith

Analysis: Smith threw his first pick of camp on Friday when he tried to feather a pass over the line of scrimmage that inside linebacker David Harris leaped for and tipped to himself. Smith's best throw of the day came in 7-on-7s, when he fired a 20-yard out over a defender and right into the hands of Clyde Gates, who dropped it. Smith, like Vick, didn't take too many chances downfield in team drills on Friday, though that might have been by design.

Stats (team drills): 8-for-10, sack, interception on Friday. Overall, Smith is 15-for-20, two sacks, one interception

Number of first-team reps: 13 on Friday (72.2 percent), 26 to date (74.2 percent)

Quote from general manager John Idzik: "Geno is the benfactor of his experience. ... He's never been involved in a full-fledged NFL offseason program until this year. Not only has he been involved from day one, but he's familiar with what we're doing, he knows [offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's] system and what's expected. ... I think you see it just in his confidence level."

Quote from center Nick Mangold: "He's much more comfortable with what his role is, how being a quarterback in the NFL, how to explain the play in the huddle—a lot of the little things that you don't really know until you experience. Those 16 games [smith started in 2013] I think really helped him out last year."

Michael Vick

Analysis: Vick again worked mostly with the second team during team drills, and he didn't make any glaring miscues, though when Eric Decker got behind Dee Milliner on a deep ball, Vick underthrew him badly and Milliner was able to break it up. Like Smith, he didn't take a lot of shots downfield in the team sessions. In 7-on-7s, Vick threw a few balls into coverage, and a handful of his throws were dropped.

Stats (team drills): 8-for-10, sack, scramble, drop on Friday. Overall Vick is 10-for-15, two sacks, one interception

Number of first-team reps: 5 on Friday (27.8 percent), 9 to date (25.8 percent)

Quote from Mangold: "He's a heck of a passer, he's a great athlete. It's exciting to see him, [having watched] him, and now being able to be with him. Just the same stuff you see on TV, you see out here. It's pretty neat to be able to have that, and I think it's fantastic for Geno to have that guy with that kind of experience in the room."

Quote from Ryan: "I know you guys are trying to get a starter named and all that type of stuff, but again: We don't need to say it right now; we don't feel it's the appropriate time to name a starting quarterback right now."

If the season started today ...

No change from Thursday: Smith would be the starter.

Just calm down. This is the same guy who was the worst and most inconsistent qb last year. Nobody has ever go e from that to a top 10 qb in a year

Chris Johnson, Michael Vick

The Jets completed their second practice of the season on Friday.

Offense

In years past it always seemed the reports centered around the offense struggling. In what is hopefully good news, many reports center around the offense looking good, although Geno Smith did throw his first interception of camp.  Brian Costello from the NY Post breaks down the quarterbacks.

Geno Smith threw his first interception of training camp on Friday, a terribly thrown pass across the middle that was tipped in the air and then picked off by linebacker David Harris.

It was one of Smith’s only blemishes on the day, though. He finished team drills 8-for-10 with the interception and was sacked twice. Michael Vick also went 8-for-10 with a sack and one of his incompletions came on a dropped pass by the receiver.

Smith again received the bulk of the first-team reps, getting 13 to Vick’s 5.

Jeff Cumberland practiced for the first time. He was late to camp due to a death in his family.

With Willie Colon still on the PUP list the Jets are experimenting on the offensive line.

Jace Amaro had some drops in camp, which he commented on:

Well, I mean of course you want to come out here and make every catch and you know, some of them were tough catches but Coach Marty (Mornhinweg) is expecting me to make all those catches and do all those things and that’s why they picked me up and that’s why I got drafted here, to catch the ball, so I’m expecting to do it. I know I’ve still got to get chemistry with the quarterbacks; just feeling them out and you know with Geno (Smith) and (Michael) Vick it’s two totally different balls so you’ve got to be familiar with both of them. But I’m not really making an excuse, I dropped them, I fumble it on one of them. That’s just coming with the ball security stuff, I know that these guys are really trying to get the ball out of the guys’ hands when they catch the ball so I’ve just got to remember how to do all the little things right and it’ll come pretty simple to me.

Defense

Recent addition Jason Babin was on the field. He was asked if he preferred rushing the passer with his hand in the dirt or standing up. He indicated that he is fine either way, “I had a lot of work early in my career standing up, so whatever is needed from me, we will get it done.  ”

A tough and physical defense is hard to grade in practice. Some good news though courtesy of Eric Allen:

Injury Updates

You can read more about day two and see fan reaction in our

Chris Johnson, Michael Vick

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
NeLro0Qx6Kw

View the full article

You're right. I should not be excited at all. The heck was I thinking?

Im excited too, don't feel bad lol.

The Jets don't need Geno to be a top 10 QB to have a great season. They just need him to not be a bottom 10 QB.

Archived