Geno Smith expects to be in Top 5 in a Year or 2

tommyspinelli

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- The New York Jets' Geno Smith is the worst starting quarterback in the NFL, according to a recent ESPN survey, but he expects to be closer to the top than the bottom over the next year or two.

"The thing about it is, you have to climb up," Smith told ESPN.com on Saturday after practice. "If I'm No. 32, by this time next year or the year after, I expect to be in the top 5."

More from ESPN.com
Mike Sando has 26 anonymous NFL coaches, GMs and evaluators grade every starting quarterback by tier, producing a 1-32 ranking. Story Insider

It was a bold statement, considering his struggles through most of last season, but Smith reported to training camp with a greater sense of confidence, according to coaches and teammates. They say he made huge strides in the offseason.

But the league remains skeptical. ESPN polled 26 coaches and personnel executives, asking them to rate this season's 32 projected starting quarterbacks. Smith finished dead last.

He said he is aware of the poll.

"My first reaction was, 'You know, man, I've got to prove them wrong,' " Smith said. "In the end, none of that matters. My key job is to make sure this team is improving and I'm doing everything I can for the betterment of this team."

The Jets are encouraged by Smith's progress, although they haven't named him the starter yet. He's competing against Michael Vick, but Smith, receiving the majority of the first-team reps, is clearly ahead.

Jets coach Rex Ryan won't handicap the race -- he won't even say if Smith will start the first preseason game -- but he clearly believes Smith is on the rise.

[+] EnlargeGeno Smith
AP Photo
New York's Geno Smith said he expects to be a top-five QB in the "next year or the year after."
"Let's take that survey after the season and see where our quarterback ranks," Ryan told ESPN.com. "Let's see where Geno ranks.

"The beauty of it is, what I know for sure is, we get to prove it. Let's see where we all rank after the season. It'll be interesting to see if they take that survey again, what it would look like at the end of the year."

One of Smith's most ardent supporters is veteran guard Willie Colon. Asked about the ESPN poll, Colon replied: "As far as the ratings, they can stick it.

"Yes, Geno suffered from turnovers [25 last season], but I also remember watching Peyton Manning and some of the other great quarterbacks in their first three years in the league. They weren't lights-out. Over time, they grew into themselves and developed into Hall of Fame quarterbacks."

Colon said Smith has the work ethic required at the position and the mental toughness to handle the never-ending scrutiny. Smith showed resilience last season, emerging from a terrible slump to play well over the final four games.

"He understands he has the weight of the world on his shoulders," Colon said. "To me, that means more than how coaches rank him, because I know him personally and I know what he's all about."

Smith expects to get better with age. Obviously, based on his top-5 prediction, he expects to get a lot better.

"Guys improve all the time," said Smith, who compiled a league-low passer rating of 66.5. "I've been watching football all my life. I've seen Peyton Manning grow up in this league. I've seen Tom Brady grow up in this league. I've seen Drew Brees.

"The main thing with all those guys, they're hard workers and diligent. Those are the things I try to do, too."

I think that I can be in the top 5. Can I start for the Jets at QB next season?

Depends...

Rate these former starting Dolphin QB's in order

Jay Fiedler, Damon Huard, Tommy Maddox, Brian Griese, AJ Feeley, Gus Frerotte, Trent Green, John Beck, Chad Henne

Or maybe they should shut up and let their play on the field do the talking?

Screw that. To be Top 5 you need to think you are Top 5. When did it become necessary for every player to regurgitate meaningless platitudes like Cheatriot Drones. I like the swagger. 

:face:   The dead from the neck up crowd is in mid season form.

Don't talk about yourself like that man.

Screw that. To be Top 5 you need to think you are Top 5. When did it become necessary for every player to regurgitate meaningless platitudes like Cheatriot Drones. I like the swagger. 

Hard for me to take this sh*t serious when he was the worst starting qb in the NFL last year. Ranked 34th I believe based on qbr or some sh*t like that.

People were upset when Eli had the nerve to say that he thought he was on Brady's level-before Eli won the Super Bowl.

Difference was Eli wasn't the worst starting qb in the NFL.

Don't talk about yourself like that man.

Hard for me to take this sh*t serious when he was the worst starting qb in the NFL last year. Ranked 34th I believe based on qbr or some sh*t like that.

Difference was Eli wasn't the worst starting qb in the NFL.

He was a rookie who was only starting because of the injury to Sanchez. The only legit weapons he had were hurt for large chunks of the season and he was never really able to have the same group of WR's out there for any length of time.

Don't forget Nelson, and Cribbs (who was also injured again) were picked up during the season. Oh… we also started two new guards on the O line with one of them being a confused rookie.  

Not exactly a recipe for success. Give the guy a chance man. 

LOL! I would MUCH rather be a JETS fan Rooten for  GENO  :superman:   to have a great season than to be an Eagles fan dealing with Sanchez  :sign0182:  !

Also looking for any updates on Pryor?

players are required by the league to answer questions from the media

he was asked about it and gave a confident answer

it's ok

No Larz... No it is not ok.

We CANNOT allow our players to show confidence or expectations.

It's a slippery slope.

No Larz... No it is not ok.

We CANNOT allow our players to show confidence or expectations.

It's a slippery slope.

you're right.  I mean he should just ignore the media and take the fine, he's rich , or just be honest and say he sucks and always will, because that would mean there are no headlines about the jets and no criticism, it's the better way

My list of what Geno has...

GENO has endurance.

He has heart.

He has talent.

He has durability.

He has intelligence.

He has the respect of his team.

He has shown he is developing his leadership skills.

He has shown a better understanding in reading coverage's.

He has worked on and improved his mechanics and footwork.

He has confidence and presence in the pocket(lacking last year.)

He has a year of experience under his belt now.

He has proven to the staff he can be a leader in our offense.

He has a GREAT long ball!

He has a better o-line for protection.

He has a decent receiving corp. to work with.

In general, he has a lot more weapons at his disposal this year!

He has Vick to help him and is currently out-playing him in camp..... and that's just for starters!   GENO'S THE BOMB!!  :blowup: (IMO)

If he is NOT a top-10 QB by the end of this season, he won't be around for year three. You either progress or you go away - especially QB's. I don't expect Geno to be top-5, but he should crack the top-10 at least for the Jets to have any chance. 3,500 yds, 25 TD's and 10-12 ints. would be a solid season.

players are required by the league to answer questions from the media

he was asked about it and gave a confident answer

it's ok

Sure they are. And there is a way to answer the question that doesn't make you look stupid. Same thing with Miliner. These guys need to shut up and play. If they were the best at anything, this team wouldn't be staring another .500 season dead in the eyes.

Sure they are. And there is a way to answer the question that doesn't make you look stupid. Same thing with Miliner. These guys need to shut up and play. If they were the best at anything, this team wouldn't be staring another .500 season dead in the eyes.

He only looks stupid to those who had made that judgment of him a long, long time ago.

If he is NOT a top-10 QB by the end of this season, he won't be around for year three. You either progress or you go away - especially QB's. I don't expect Geno to be top-5, but he should crack the top-10 at least for the Jets to have any chance. 3,500 yds, 25 TD's and 10-12 ints. would be a solid season.

Geno needs to be top 10 or he's done... Laughable.

Going by passer rating, the Jets would get rid of the following QBs... Bradford, Ryan, Cutler, Smith, Dalton, Newton, Brady, Luck, Stafford, Palmer, RGIII, Tannehill

Going by completion percentage, the Jets would get rid of the following QBs... Palmer, Wilson, Cutler, Dalton, Newton, Smith, Brady, Tannehill, Luck, Flacco, E. Manning, Kaepernick

Going by touchdowns, the Jets would get rid of the following QBs... Brady, Palmer, Newton, Tannehill, Smith, Luck, Kaepernick, Cutler, Flacco, E. Manning, Aaron Rodgers, RGIII

Going by yards per game, the Jets would get rid of the following QBs... Romo, RGIII, Tannenhill, Flacco, Bradford, Luck, E. Manning, Cutler, Foles, Newton, Wilson.

Archived