Milliner "I'm the Best CB in the NFL"

slowmoe57

Dee Milliner: I'm best CB in NFL

Updated: July 27, 2014, 8:56 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

Dee Milliner's confidence evidently was not shaken by his inconsistent rookie season with the New York Jets.

Milliner, who will enter his second NFL season as the Jets' top cornerback, told the New York Daily News that he believes he is the league's best player at the position.

[+] Enlarge
Jim McIsaac/Getty ImagesAfter struggling early in his rookie year, Dee Milliner finished the 2013 season on a high note, recording three interceptions in December en route to being named the NFL's defensive rookie of the month.

"The best corner in the league? Me," Milliner told the Daily News in an interview Saturday. "I ain't gonna say that somebody else is better than me."

A first-round draft pick who was benched multiple times last season, Milliner made positive strides down the stretch in 2013. He clearly feels that his late-season surge will carry over into 2014.

"I'm not going to say somebody that plays the same position is better than me," Milliner said. "Don't care if they've been in the league 10 years and I've been here five months. That's how it's going to go.

"I'm the best. I'm not going to say that another man that plays the same position ... and say he's better than me? I can't do that."

Milliner's lofty aspirations also include an eventual place in the Hall of Fame.

"I want to be great," he said. "That's the difference between the players that are in the Hall of Fame and not in the Hall of Fame. ... You want to do great things. That's what I want to do."

{C}{C}

I'm not going to say somebody that plays the same position is better than me. Don't care if they've been in the league 10 years and I've been here five months. That's how it's going to go. I'm the best.

-- Jets CB Dee Milliner, to the

New York Daily News

{C}{C}

Milliner figures to be tested early and often in his second year, as the Jets will have to contend with some of the NFL's top wide receivers over the first two months of the season, including Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Brandon Marshall and Jordy Nelson.

But Milliner claimed that he is "not worried" about any expectations placed on him.

"They say the pressure is on, but I ain't worried about it," Milliner said. "I'm not worried about pressure. I go out there and do what I'm coached to do."

Last December, Milliner was selected as the NFL's defensive rookie of the month after getting 27 tackles, three interceptions and 13 passes defensed. He was also the AFC's defensive player of the week after intercepting two passes in the season finale at Miami.

"I love the way he ended, but there's guys that never get on a field and nobody talks about them," Jets coach Rex Ryan told reporters Saturday. "Did he go through growing pains? Absolutely, but he was in the fire.

"So, right now, it's nothing to him. He's out there, let's go. And his teammates, believe me, they're definitely confident in Dee Milliner."

I get not drawing attention to yourself, and the Jets past bravado really backfiring in their face, but what do you want the kid to say?  Yes ideally he should take the non answer route, but if he is going to answer the question I prefer the confident me answer over the other option.  If you polled 100 players you would get well over 50% to say they think they are the best player in the league at their position, it was actually a full segment at the end of the top 100 list on NFL Network showing player after player saying they would rank themselves #1 at their positon, and some in the league, and a lot of these guys were just average to slightly above average players.

I see nothing wrong here…well...except that every single article that starts sh*t about the Jets seems to come from the daily news. I wish they would stop taking questions from that rag. 

Milliners comments don't bother me one bit. 

Baiting?

Really?

Or maybe the kid is just stupid? In less than 5 seconds I can think of 10 different things to say so you don't sound like an idiot. How about "I have respect for guys like Revis who have played at a much higher level for a lot long". Or "I need to play better on a consistent basis in order to say I'm in the top tier". Anything but what he said. Because every single person that pays attention to football knows it nowhere near true. 

"If he plays well top ten"? Man the homers are out of control. Right now there's probably 50 cb's I'd rather have based on how he played. His last few games were against some pretty bad O's and QB's. He should have had that many pd because everyone was throwing at him because of how bad he sucked. Just shut up and play. It's really not that hard. 

Espn is taking Geno words out of context though... people... stupid people of course think Geno said I'm a top 5 QB this year. Gotta love how the media spins sh*t on the ignorant... but as far as this? .... NO Dee... just no. MAYBE top 10 if he performs well.

How can he be anywhere near top ten if he plays "well"? Playing well gets you top ten? So you think after a terrible rookie year and playing "well" gets him in the top ten? C'mon now. This homerism has to end.

Espn is taking Geno words out of context though... people... stupid people of course think Geno said I'm a top 5 QB this year. Gotta love how the media spins sh*t on the ignorant... but as far as this? .... NO Dee... just no. MAYBE top 10 if he performs well.

Actually Dee was asked who's the best corner and he said "I feel as though i'm the best, I would never say some 1 is better then me.

I never understood that question, what would you expect a player to say?

Baiting?

Really?

Or maybe the kid is just stupid? In less than 5 seconds I can think of 10 different things to say so you don't sound like an idiot. How about "I have respect for guys like Revis who have played at a much higher level for a lot long". Or "I need to play better on a consistent basis in order to say I'm in the top tier". Anything but what he said. Because every single person that pays attention to football knows it nowhere near true. 

"If he plays well top ten"? Man the homers are out of control. Right now there's probably 50 cb's I'd rather have based on how he played. His last few games were against some pretty bad O's and QB's. He should have had that many pd because everyone was throwing at him because of how bad he sucked. Just shut up and play. It's really not that hard. 

In 77 posts, over a few weeks, you haven't been able to find a way not to sound like an idiot.  So, how much more do you expect from Milliner?

In 77 posts, over a few weeks, you haven't been able to find a way not to sound like an idiot.  So, how much more do you expect from Milliner?

Sorry but you're post makes no sense. 

And I don't sound nearly as big an idiot as Dee. He's nowhere near the top CB in the game. Literally 50 better CB's better than him. How much more do I expect from him? How about route recognition? Turning his head around? Not biting on doubles? Average play? I could on and on. 

LOL What do I expect from him? He was a top ten pick for **** sake! Seriously how about average play over the course of a season. Because he was god awful last year. Played good the last 2-3 games. That's hardly enough to feel confident. 

Homers here are turning the last 4 games of the season into legend from him and Geno. We scaled the playbook back big time and geno was just OK! Nothing special at all. Dee played well the last 2-3 games. Again nothing special when you consider who he was playing against and the fact that QB's are obviously going to target him because he was that bad for 90% of the year.

Sorry but you're post makes no sense. 

And I don't sound nearly as big an idiot as Dee. He's nowhere near the top CB in the game. Literally 50 better CB's better than him. How much more do I expect from him? How about route recognition? Turning his head around? Not biting on doubles? Average play? I could on and on. 

LOL What do I expect from him? He was a top ten pick for **** sake! Seriously how about average play over the course of a season. Because he was god awful last year. Played good the last 2-3 games. That's hardly enough to feel confident. 

Homers here are turning the last 4 games of the season into legend from him and Geno. We scaled the playbook back big time and geno was just OK! Nothing special at all. Dee played well the last 2-3 games. Again nothing special when you consider who he was playing against and the fact that QB's are obviously going to target him because he was that bad for 90% of the year.

Milliner is a 22 year old football star from the state of Alabama: are you really impressed at being marginally, which is debatable at this point, more articulate than someone pushed through the Cotton State's school system?  I think that it's even a debate is reason enough to sh*tcan all of your former teachers.  

Milliner is a 22 year old football star from the state of Alabama: are you really impressed at being marginally, which is debatable at this point, more articulate than someone pushed through the Cotton State's school system?  I think that it's even a debate is reason enough to sh*tcan all of your former teachers.  

Calling people idiots over the internet. What an intellectual bunch we have here.

Baiting?

Really?

You Sir really need to find another place to post, and follow football.  This is a forum dedicated to the New York Jets, if your looking for non homer opinions you need to find a General NFL forum.  The person who is being foolish is you.  And not to mention this is the time of year when every team has a brand new start, and is when fans of all teams are at their most optimistic. 

Calling people idiots over the internet. What an intellectual bunch we have here.

Because insulting a kids' intelligence on the basis of one out-of-context comment is much more commendable? At least 77 has the chance to rebut in this case, unlike Dee.  Besides, I would gladly call them idiots in person, but this is the venue in which I currently find myself in. 

But they're right.

Doesn't make it anymore dumb.

Because insulting a kids' intelligence on the basis of one out-of-context comment is much more commendable? At least 77 has the chance to rebut in this case, unlike Dee.  Besides, I would gladly call them idiots in person, but this is the venue in which I currently find myself in. 

Yeah his post was dumb too. 

All I can tell ya is no ones gonna want to play the NY Jets this year Boyitellya

3 decent games vs. 3 tomato can offenses does not a HoF corner make.

You hit one of ours, we'll hit two of yours.

30 yards over 15 yards, whatever. The Jets offense doesn;t do much anyway so giving away field position is no big deal. Ground and pound, play like a Jet, The terminator. EMPTY-HEADED CLICHES ALL AROUND. Which is a reflection of a coach that does not shut the f___ up ever. Rex Ryan remembers nothing and has learned nothing. Just like his a$$hole dad.

3 decent games vs. 3 tomato can offenses does not a HoF corner make.

You hit one of ours, we'll hit two of yours.

30 yards over 15 yards, whatever. The Jets offense doesn;t do much anyway so giving away field position is no big deal. Ground and pound, play like a Jet, The terminator. EMPTY-HEADED CLICHES ALL AROUND. Which is a reflection of a coach that does not shut the f___ up ever. Rex Ryan remembers nothing and has learned nothing. Just like his a$$hole dad.

Feel bad for you.

<3

Archived