Milliner "I'm the Best CB in the NFL"

slowmoe57

based on his recent comments to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. The second-year pro refused to admit that another player at his position was better. 

This quote is being taken out of context, as headlines will read how Milliner declared himself to be the top corner in football. Milliner's real message was that his mindset should be that he is the top cover man in the business regardless of the undeniable reality that he is not. 

Due to the nature of the position, cornerbacks need to carry themselves with this exact mindset of being unbeatable and feared—any other demeanor will have a player defeated before they step onto the field. Without a supreme level of confidence and a short memory that borders on delusion, the pressure of never allowing a big play can cripple a player's confidence. 

based on his recent comments to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. The second-year pro refused to admit that another player at his position was better. 

This quote is being taken out of context, as headlines will read how Milliner declared himself to be the top corner in football. Milliner's real message was that his mindset should be that he is the top cover man in the business regardless of the undeniable reality that he is not. 

Due to the nature of the position, cornerbacks need to carry themselves with this exact mindset of being unbeatable and feared—any other demeanor will have a player defeated before they step onto the field. Without a supreme level of confidence and a short memory that borders on delusion, the pressure of never allowing a big play can cripple a player's confidence. 

They try to lead on the players- take it out of context-but Rex brought some of this on with his own comments in the past laying the foundation

You reap what you sow. and these guys obviously will never learn.

4. Time for the Jets to consider a vow of silence. After Geno Smith told reporters that he plans to finish the year as a top-five quarterback, Dee Milliner called himself the best cornerback in the NFL. The second-year defender was subsequently flamed by Clyde Gates for a 15-yard touchdown in 7-on-7s, per ESPN's Rich Cimini. Sigh.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000370172/article/fifteen-things-we-learned-sunday-in-training-camp

most NFL teams put layers through media training, and they give non answers like pennnington, eli, belicheat all do

woody or idzik needs to get involved here and teach these guys how to answer an obvious trap question by not answering it

the week leading up to a real game, all the rooks will get trap questions

I believe in emotions making a difference in performance.  You think you're giving 100% until it becomes personal, then you realize it was 90%.  I have vivid memories of getting elbowed in the neck and then dominating the crap outta that guy for 20 minutes.

lets not call brady over-rated during past* week, ok guys ?

In all the interviews and articles I've read about great athletes after they retire, there is the part where they say that when they started out they believed they were the best at their position.  This is true in any sport. Unless you're some kind of veteran part-time player who is only in the league for one specialty, everyone out on the field/court should believe they are the best.

lets look at the entire quote for context

"The best corner in the league? Me,"  "I ain't gonna say that somebody else is better than me."

"I'm not going to say somebody that plays the same position is better than me,"

"Don't care if they've been in the league 10 years and I've been here five months. That's how it's going to go.

"I'm the best.

I'm not going to say that another man that plays the same position ... and say he's better than me? I can't do that."

"I want to be great," 

"That's the difference between the players that are in the Hall of Fame and not in the Hall of Fame. ... You want to do great things. That's what I want to do."

he could polish up his answers to douchy trap questions from the scumbag beat "writers"  but he was basically just spewing  confidence, and that's ok with me

HOLD ON, DEE

Add former special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff to the Dee Milliner skeptics after the second-year cornerback declared himself the best in the game. The former Jets coordinator didn’t hold back when talking about the second-year cornerback on ESPN Radio on Wednesday.

“I’m not sure he’s the best cornerback up here in Cortland,” Westhoff said. “And I might include the University.”

lol. Gotta love Westhoff.

HOLD ON, DEE

Add former special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff to the Dee Milliner skeptics after the second-year cornerback declared himself the best in the game. The former Jets coordinator didn’t hold back when talking about the second-year cornerback on ESPN Radio on Wednesday.

“I’m not sure he’s the best cornerback up here in Cortland,” Westhoff said. “And I might include the University.”

lol. Gotta love Westhoff.

Great line.  I didn't care for Westhoff's excuse making presser that he held right before he left, but aside from evaluating his own job he does tell it like it is.

NFLN asked a whole bunch of players who the best player in the NFL was. Damn near all off them picked themselves, including Mo Wilkerson.

Ask a stupid question, you're bound to get stupid answers.

The only reason Milliner's is getting more pub is because he struggled last season.

if you ask an athlete in the NFL draft who should be number one, they will usually say themselves. Even if they are more like a 2nd or 3rd rounder. It's common place to give this kind of answer. 

Part of being a player in the NFL is not having a good grasp on reality. It's not realistic to be an NFL player. That's not a safe and thoughtful career choice. It's a choice made by overconfident physical geniuses. 

Archived