Training Camp Updates day 4 (Sunday 07/27)

Maxman

Don't want to say there aren't many fans here, but I saw more people at the last meeting of the NY/NJ Brian Schottenheimer Fan Club

Vick and Sudfeld hook up again. Sudfeld having a really nice practice. #NYJ

David Nelson and Patterson have a little scrap. Practice a little chippy today #nyj

Wow. Nelson and Patterson just REALLY went at it on the far side. Patterson was throwing punches. Rex won't like that. #NYJ

Stephen Hill makes a nice grab over Dimitri Patterson down the sideline #nyj

Amaro limps off favoring his right knee. Heading to the sideline with trainer. Meanwhile, Vick with 2 TD darts during 7-on-7. #NYJ

Amaro stands up on sideline. Flexing his right knee while talking to doctor.

Jace Amaro on sideline with trainers. Standing. Flexing right knee. Now doing some quick step exercises to test leg.

Here is what i gleaned from all practice camp tweets as far as our pass catchers are concerned.

Decker, Kerley, Nelson are clearly the Top 3.

Ford has looked looked solid.

Gates having a good training camp like he did last season.

Sudfeld making some waves.

Shaq Evans continues to drop.

Enunwa continues to be on the sideline.

Stephen Hill is having more impact in this training camp although there is the issue of the dropsies.

Saunders name has not popped often enough after Day 1.

Amaro has struggled with drops and injuries,

Not too much heard about Cumberland in twitter land.

Chris Johnson proving an element that the JETS did not have out of that position.

Chris Johnson, Michael Vick

On Saturday the Jets completed their first practice in pads. Please check out our for more information on that practice. Here is a recap of the action on Sunday.

Injury Updates

Willie Colon has been activated from the PUP List.  Rex Ryan confirmed that Calvin Pryor did sustain a concussion on Saturday. Jace Amaro walked off the field with a knee injury and Dennis Waszak updates us on that.

Quincy Enunwa (6th Round) sat out again with a hip injury.

Offense

Chris Johnson was back on the field after resting yesterday. The Jets are going with two days on, one day off for Johnson. Rex Ryan was asked if that was the plan for CJ:

Probably. That’s what it looks like. But again, how it changes, I don’t want to say that this is exactly how it is because quite honestly I don’t have the chart in front of me.

ESPN provides an update on how the quarterbacks performed today.

QB update: 

Neither Geno Smith nor Michael Vick was that sharp. There were some pass-protection issues, so Smith and Vick did more scrambling than usual. As expected, Smith received the vast majority of the first-team reps, 15 to Vick’s four. Smith was only 4-for-10, Vick was 4-for-7. There were some bright spots in a red-zone drill, as Smith tossed two short touchdowns, one to Amaro and the other to Chris Johnson. Vick had a scoring throw to Zach Sudfeld. Neither quarterback had a turnover.

There were several reports saying Zach Sudfeld stood out today.  This is good news, the Jets can make sure Jace Amaro is 100% while Cumberland holds down the fort, hopefully with some help from the 6′ 7″ Sudfeld.

Notes

• Dimitri Paterson and David Nelson got into a fight during practice.
  • The Jets don’t practice on Monday.

Visit our forum for some additional

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
CHH-Rce3Vls

View the full article

Suds was someone a lot of us were curious and excited to see here. A Pats send off with supposedly so much potential. I hope he ends up being something for us. Cumberland.. meh.

And that makes me happy quite frankly. I love competition and not feeling like if our "one guy" does;t cut it we're screwed.  

Thanks Idzik! 

the TE position has depth and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see amaro struggle to get playing time with this group

Pretty good read. It's nice to read an article without most of the BS spin of the tabloids and just stating a journalistic observation for the most part.

CORTLAND, N.Y. – On Monday, the Jets will be off from practice for the first time since beginning training camp Thursday. Five days and four practices into camp, there have been some highs and lows. Sunday underscored that.

There is still plenty of time before things get serious with this season – after all, Sunday was just the Jets’ second practice in full pads – but the storylines with this team are beginning to take shape.

So is the drama – or whatever passes for drama in training camp. Sunday was the Jets’ most contentious and energetic practice to date. Again, it was just their second practice in full pads, so things are about to get hot, heavy and fun in the days to come.

The Jets are back on the practice field Tuesday, their first of four straight practices before Saturday’s Green and White scrimmage.

Here now, some observations – not related to Calvin PryorJace Amaro or Willie Colon – from the final practice of this first chunk of training camp.

1. It was a sloppy day, particularly on the offensive side. The quarterbacks themselves weren’t all that bad. Dom Cosentino has your daily quarterback update at this very link. But Geno Smith and Michael Vick were under pressure a few times, forced to scramble. And Smith was victimized by three drops.

Receivers dropping passes wasn’t a problem Saturday, as it was in the first two practices. But on Sunday, drops became an issue again. Stephen Hill, David Nelson, Jeremy Kerley and Shaq Evans all dropped one pass each.

2. Stephen Hill had mixed results. OK, maybe it’s not fair to single out Hill on a day when other receivers were sloppy, too, including Nelson, the man who is competing with Hill for the No. 2 receiver job. But this is a big year for Hill, a second-round pick in 2012, to show he was worthy of being drafted there.

3. David Nelson was fired up. Nelson angrily spiked the ball in the end zone after failing to get both feet inbounds on a nice lob from Smith that Nelson secured with one hand. Later, Smith and Patterson had to be separated after they came to blows and jawed at each other. But by training camp fight standards, it wasn’t anything special.

I would say that Nelson is ahead of Gates right now, but the board perception on Nelson leads them to ignore his faults and jump on anything that comes up regarding Hill and Gates.  Gates had a good camp and came into last season dinged.  He was coming around when he was seriously hurt.  The board wants to sh*t on him for dropping passes in that NE game where the conditions were so bad everybody was putting it on the floor and I question some of the alleged drops.  Gates will have a tough road to make the team, but IMO a big part of that is more that he was an older guy coming into the league.  

I would say that Nelson is ahead of Gates right now, but the board perception on Nelson leads them to ignore his faults and jump on anything that comes up regarding Hill and Gates.  Gates had a good camp and came into last season dinged.  He was coming around when he was seriously hurt.  The board wants to sh*t on him for dropping passes in that NE game where the conditions were so bad everybody was putting it on the floor and I question some of the alleged drops.  Gates will have a tough road to make the team, but IMO a big part of that is more that he was an older guy coming into the league.  

What upside do you see to Gates, besides the speed? I know thats a big factor, but we have seen nothing else from him. Genuine question, cause I think you're the most knowledge guy on this forum.

And Nelson, what flaws? Lack of superstar top end speed? He has shown good hands, I haven't heard issues of his route running, and he was once considered a solid guy in Buffalo. 

Interested in hearing your opinion.

While I agree there may have initially been some reason for a little guarded optimism regarding Gates early last year, I think Gates' stupid ass falling over when MM tried to run screens in his direction was likely the final nail in the coffin.  He seems to be nothing more than another in a long line of training camp / preseason All-Stars who turn out to be regular season nobodies.  No reason not to give him one last shot this year given he's already under contract, but he's a long shot at best to make this team; Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Saunders, and probably even Evans are already making this team ahead of him, and there's plenty more folks around this team, many hand-picked by Idzik, who Gates will have to fight off for that one last spot.

Archived