Training Camp Updates day 4 (Sunday 07/27)

Maxman

What upside do you see to Gates, besides the speed? I know thats a big factor, but we have seen nothing else from him. Genuine question, cause I think you're the most knowledge guy on this forum.

And Nelson, what flaws? Lack of superstar top end speed? He has shown good hands, I haven't heard issues of his route running, and he was once considered a solid guy in Buffalo. 

Interested in hearing your opinion.

Part of it is just me being contrarian, but Gates is a guy that *could* add some real value.  Nelson is the kind of player the board will like because he is more natural catching the ball and will look good in that window where the camera is on him.  On the other hand, he is less likely to get open and I read that he spends a lot time in the slot because he has trouble getting off the line.  I think there were several times last season where it looked like Nelson gave up on a route or failed to come back to the ball and it caused picks and problems.  He looked a little sloppy to me.  OTOH, that is to be expected since he joined the team late.  

Personally, I like them both and think they both offer potential value at the position.  They are very different and both won't likely make the team.  I just think that the idea that Nelson is this stud and Gates a joke is pretty far off the mark.  Guys like Salas getting love?  Sort of the same scenario.  Jet fans always prefer the beast they haven't seen. 

While I agree there may have initially been some reason for a little guarded optimism regarding Gates early last year, I think Gates' stupid ass falling over when MM tried to run screens in his direction was likely the final nail in the coffin.  He seems to be nothing more than another in a long line of training camp / preseason All-Stars who turn out to be regular season nobodies.  No reason not to give him one last shot this year given he's already under contract, but he's a long shot at best to make this team; Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Saunders, and probably even Evans are already making this team ahead of him, and there's plenty more folks around this team, many hand-picked by Idzik, who Gates will have to fight off for that one last spot.

I don't disagree with much of this, but that is why there is a camp and preseason.  You are blaming him for not succeeding where very few people did last season.  Who had success with those screens?  Kerley and Cribbs should both be great at those and Holmes decent and I don't remember them faring much better.  If I had to guess, Gates will be cut and then brought back when somebody gets hurt.  Evans has looked lost by all accounts, so we are just basing his likelihood on draft position.  

Part of it is just me being contrarian, but Gates is a guy that *could* add some real value.  Nelson is the kind of player the board will like because he is more natural catching the ball and will look good in that window where the camera is on him.  On the other hand, he is less likely to get open and I read that he spends a lot time in the slot because he has trouble getting off the line.  I think there were several times last season where it looked like Nelson gave up on a route or failed to come back to the ball and it caused picks and problems.  He looked a little sloppy to me.  OTOH, that is to be expected since he joined the team late.  

Personally, I like them both and think they both offer potential value at the position.  They are very different and both won't likely make the team.  I just think that the idea that Nelson is this stud and Gates a joke is pretty far off the mark.  Guys like Salas getting love?  Sort of the same scenario.  Jet fans always prefer the beast they haven't seen. 

I don't disagree with much of this, but that is why there is a camp and preseason.  You are blaming him for not succeeding where very few people did last season.  Who had success with those screens?  Kerley and Cribbs should both be great at those and Holmes decent and I don't remember them faring much better.  If I had to guess, Gates will be cut and then brought back when somebody gets hurt.  Evans has looked lost by all accounts, so we are just basing his likelihood on draft position.  

Oh, he was definitely just one of a bad bunch last year, I won't deny that at all, but the whole falling down untouched thing was a unique trait to Gates and has a tendency to rub people the wrong way.  Also agree 100% about Evans, but that's also the reality of the NFL.  You really think, unless Gates does enough to really convince this team that he's taken a massive leap forward, that Idzik will have any interest in retaining a Tannenbaum scrap heap pick-up over his own rookie draft pick?  I just can't see it happening, unless they toss Evans onto IR or something like that.

Nelson had 61 receptions for 658 yards with the Bills in 2011.

He had        36 receptions for 423 yards for us last season in 12 games without the benefit of a training camp.

Is this the guy we want to compare with Clyde Gates ?

Nelson, Decker and Kerley have assured spots on this roster. So does Stephen Hill.

After that there might be 2-3 slots open.

Jacoby Ford deserves a spot if he keeps up what he has been doing in the camp so far.

Then the JETS have two 4th round picks. Whether they deserve it or not they have to keep them on the squad. Its very rare for a team to cut its 4th round pick in the first season itself. That too in a HUGE media market like New York. Cutting either of them would be Mehta's dream come true.

So if the JETS only go ahead with 6 WR's I expect Jacoby Ford to be unfairly let go.

Its not surprising Clyde Gates is having a great camp. I had predicted it. But he and Salas and Campbell are just camp fodder at this time unless they step it up BIG time.

I would say that Nelson is ahead of Gates right now, but the board perception on Nelson leads them to ignore his faults and jump on anything that comes up regarding Hill and Gates.  Gates had a good camp and came into last season dinged.  He was coming around when he was seriously hurt.  The board wants to sh*t on him for dropping passes in that NE game where the conditions were so bad everybody was putting it on the floor and I question some of the alleged drops.  Gates will have a tough road to make the team, but IMO a big part of that is more that he was an older guy coming into the league.  

I think there are a lot of question marks especially with the WR's this year. We have a lot of guys with some unbelievable measurables. The problem with this bunch has been putting it together in the games. Gate's speed, Hill's size and speed, Sudfeld's size, Nelson's size and hands, Ford's speed and breakaway ability.  That's not even including the rookies. I just hope the Jets make the right decisions and pick the best guys from the pack unlike in years past (woodhead and Mcnight) . 

Either way, it's going to be more fun than watching Holmes make an 11 yd catch and do his first down thing, get upset that he's not open and then get hurt. no?

Jets WR's having a great camp should scare the hell out of all of us/

if they are having a great camp what does that say bout out secondary ?

LOL - I was waiting for someone to post this.

Nelson had 61 receptions for 658 yards with the Bills in 2011.

He had        36 receptions for 423 yards for us last season in 12 games without the benefit of a training camp.

Is this the guy we want to compare with Clyde Gates ?

Nelson, Decker and Kerley have assured spots on this roster. So does Stephen Hill.

After that there might be 2-3 slots open.

Jacoby Ford deserves a spot if he keeps up what he has been doing in the camp so far.

Then the JETS have two 4th round picks. Whether they deserve it or not they have to keep them on the squad. Its very rare for a team to cut its 4th round pick in the first season itself. That too in a HUGE media market like New York. Cutting either of them would be Mehta's dream come true.

So if the JETS only go ahead with 6 WR's I expect Jacoby Ford to be unfairly let go.

Its not surprising Clyde Gates is having a great camp. I had predicted it. But he and Salas and Campbell are just camp fodder at this time unless they step it up BIG time.

I don't think anyone's a lock for a roster spot beyond Decker, Kerley, and maybe Saunders.

Nelson and Hill are battling for the same starting job, the loser could potentially be cut. Especially if they feel other receivers bring more to the special teams, and can also serve as suitable backups. Even if Nelson/Hill are either/or, it's still hard to see a path for Gates to make the team. He and Ford are very similar players. And Idzik brought the younger Ford in as a free agent. The draft pick Evans is battling for that spot, too.

In the end, it's a good problem to have. I think they're gonna IR Enunwa. If Evans doesn't get it together, they may try to slip him onto the practice squad. They may be able to do it, I don't think many teams look to the Jets' castoffs at WR as potential help.

I don't think anyone's a lock for a roster spot beyond Decker, Kerley, and maybe Saunders.

Nelson and Hill are battling for the same starting job, the loser could potentially be cut. Especially if they feel other receivers bring more to the special teams, and can also serve as suitable backups. Even if Nelson/Hill are either/or, it's still hard to see a path for Gates to make the team. He and Ford are very similar players. And Idzik brought the younger Ford in as a free agent. The draft pick Evans is battling for that spot, too.

Based on form so far, Nelson and Hill are locks at this point. There is no clear rival to their skills to what they bring to the table. Hill's size and speed is unrivaled on this team at that position and from all the noises heard so far he is doing a lot better than he did last training camp. Nelson is consistent and without the benefit of a training camp he still seemed to have a good chemistry with Geno as the season progressed. Dont see he going anywhere.

Although Gates having a good camp does not surprise me I do agree at this point I do not see Gates making it but may get signed to another team once he is released.

In the end, it's a good problem to have. I think they're gonna IR Enunwa. If Evans doesn't get it together, they may try to slip him onto the practice squad. They may be able to do it, I don't think many teams look to the Jets' castoffs at WR as potential help.

Compared to last season the depth is better but there are not many top of the line  WR's. Its just that there is going to be more competition for the #4 or #5 spots. Not that i am complaining about that.

Evans didnt have great hands in college and i am not surprised at the amount of drops he has in practice. But having said that he is still a 4th round pick in this years draft. There is no way he makes it to the PS. To do that the JETS have to release him and there is no way he is coming back. I know last season Oakland cut their 4th round pick QB pick (forgot his name) but teams just do not cut a whole bunch of 4th rounders in their first year. I think the number of instances of that happening in the last 10 years could be counted on one hand. And that too in a major media market. It would be Xmas come soon for Cimini and the JETS beat writers if that happens. So Evans and for that matter Saunders just make it by their pedigree of being 4th round selections.

I could see a case of Enunwa making it to the PS. I am not sure he will be on the IR if he can step on the field.

But the likes of Gates and Salas have to be cut. And more than likely they get signed by other teams.

Archived