Concussion for Pryor (MERGED)

JetFanatic

Calvin Pryor

The Jets  put on the pads for the first time on Saturday and they received the first bad news of training camp. First round draft pick Calvin Pryor was hit during practice and left the field. He later returned to the sidelines but didn’t practice again. It was described as a head injury.

Pryor sat out of practice today and Rex Ryan just announced during his press conference that Pryor does have a concussion. He will follow the NFL concussion protocol which means he has to be cleared by a doctor before returning to the field.

It was originally reported that Pryor was hurt during a collision on special team drills; he was the personal punt protector.

Here is a discussion thread about from our forums.

Calvin Pryor

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
rh4-2HTkTT4

View the full article

How will that fare with him being such an aggressive player by nature???  Is this going to be a huge problem?

The Jets need to make sure he takes the time to let himself heal. All concussions are different, but rushing back won't help anything. 

I had a reasonably severe one earlier this year and am completely back to normal now (at least, as normal as I ever was). He might be tentative at first but once you get smacked in the head again and it's fine things are pretty much back to normal.

It's tough, the rookies are dropping like flies.

For realz?

The early goings of camp haven’t been kind to Jets rookies.

Second-round pick in tight end Jace Amaro left Sunday’s practice with a right knee injury and was diagnosed with tendinitis (ESPN, July 27th). He is going to be out until Tuesday, further setting the Jets back.

The Jets are without first-round pick Calvin Pryor, who is being treated after a head injury suffered in practice on Saturday.

The early goings of camp haven’t been kind to Jets rookies.

Second-round pick in tight end Jace Amaro left Sunday’s practice with a right knee injury and was diagnosed with tendinitis (ESPN, July 27th). He is going to be out until Tuesday, further setting the Jets back.

The Jets are without first-round pick Calvin Pryor, who is being treated after a head injury suffered in practice on Saturday.

Those are minor.

McDougle has apparently been great.

I hated this pick from day one. Literally tons of other guys that were a huge need and we reach on a db that was rated by some as the 3rd-5th best S. Guy has serious issues defending in short areas and in coverage. Reminds me of Brandon Meriweather. Bad angles, bad coverage and always looking for the big hit. Could have gone QB, WR, LB, OL etc. But we take a guy who make a difference for 2-3 years. :cussing:

I hated this pick from day one. Literally tons of other guys that were a huge need and we reach on a db that was rated by some as the 3rd-5th best S. Guy has serious issues defending in short areas and in coverage. Reminds me of Brandon Meriweather. Bad angles, bad coverage and always looking for the big hit. Could have gone QB, WR, LB, OL etc. But we take a guy who make a difference for 2-3 years. :cussing:

3rd to 5th best Safety? LOL

This isn't college son! 

People that know what their talking about saw this coming from a mile away. Big reach pick.

Reach? Nice to know you're a new fan to the game. Pryor was the best safety in the draft and projected as a first rounder by most knowledgeable sources. 

This isn't college son! 

People that know what their talking about saw this coming from a mile away. Big reach pick.

Let's relax a bit.  "People who know what they are talking about"....no need for that kind of arrogance.

I know a thing or two about the Jets. And I like this pick.

More importantly, his first chapter hasn't even been written yet. So anyone proclaiming that they know for sure what will happen needs to step back.

Here is Rex Ryan commenting on Pryor:

On if there is a minimum number of days Pryor has to miss with a concussion…

Not that I’m aware of. It seems like there is because there are so many steps to it. I’m sure there are a certain amount of days. It seems like it. I don’t know what that number is. But again, for me, it’s out of your hands as a coach. In a way that’s a good thing, because it’s not like you’re going to force the issue and have a guy get out there when it’s not in his best interests. So I think sometimes that’s good. Obviously, you lean on the experts.

On what Pryor is able to do while going through the NFL’s concussion protocol…

It does depend because sometimes they’ll recommend rest. Sometimes it depends on symptoms and all that type of stuff. Again, a lot of times it seems like they’ll have those guys rest. Sometimes you’ll see guys in the sunglasses as well.

On if Pryor is experiencing any specific concussion symptoms…

No. I don’t know what the deal is (or) what kind of symptoms (he has). There are a lot of different things that they look at for concussions. It’s not lip service. The NFL is trying to do a great job in protecting the players and making sure that they’re healthy when they get back on that field. There are a number of things. Shoot, I got pre-tested for it. They get the numbers of where you were at, all that type of stuff, and then they compare it to how you’re doing. Some of it has to do with balance. There are a lot of different tests involved in it.

On making your special teams strong without getting any starters hurt…

I think when you look at it, we’re going to play them all.  We feel great. Like we said, this is as deep a group as we have had at safety.  And those are guys that can run and hit, so we are going to have a bunch of those guys on all our special teams. Even (Dawan) Landry and Double A (Antonio Allen), all of them, because we think we have to get better on (special) teams, we want to be one of the top special teams units in the league, and it’s really all hands on deck, especially that punt team. We want to have a great punt team, and Demario Davis plays on it as well. Sometimes he’ll take a play off of defense because of the depth we have and treat is as a guy goes in there. Specials teams are important, it’s not just lip service.

On if he is concerned about Pryor being prone to concussions because of the nature of his position…

Not really, if a guy had two or something like that maybe it would.  You know he’s used to big collisions. It never looked like that big of a deal, but it certainly is now.

On if this is his first concussion…

I don’t know you would have to ask him. I know he never had a history of it in college.

Those are minor.

McDougle has apparently been great.

You have no idea for a while if a concussion is mild or a long-term thing. It can change day to day. Might be out for a day, might be Michael Sauer.

Archived