Calvin Pace: N.Y Jets have best defense in the NFL

jgb

unbelieveable

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000370402/article/calvin-pace-ny-jets-have-best-defense-in-the-nfl

Calvin Pace: N.Y Jets have best defense in the NFL
  • _Sessler-65x90.jpg
  • By Marc Sessler
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: July 28, 2014 at 09:15 a.m.
  • Updated: July 28, 2014 at 10:30 a.m.

Consider this post the third and final installment of what we'll call our Gang Green Braggart Trilogy.

Part I: Geno Smith declares to the world that he's about to become a top-five quarterback, despite what we witnessed last season.

Part II: Dee Milliner shrugs off his uneven rookie campaign to call himself the best cornerback in all of football. For real.

And Part III, in which pass rusher Calvin Pace declares to the New York Daily News that Rex Ryan's defense will overtake Seattle's as the NFL's finest.

"(Compared to) the rest of the defenses in the NFL? (Expletive), man, we're the best," said Pace. "You ask anybody around the league, we're not the team you want to see coming in, even in a down year."

Yet another reminder that the games -- even preseason ones -- can't get here fast enough.

To be fair, Pace has a right to be confident in how Ryan develops and prepares his defense -- he's one of the game's top coaches on that side of the ball. But the Jets weren't even the top unit in the AFC East or their own state last season: The Buffalo Bills ranked higher and arguably house more overall talent.

We do love Gang Green's crop of young and aggressive defensive linemen, but the backend of this unit is questionable. Milliner, of all people, looms as the key variable for an uneven secondary that threatens to undo everything else Rex has put together.

There's hope in Florham Park, but it's definitely time for the Jets to clam up and start proving themselves against a living opponent.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" offers up team-by-team training camp previews of the NFC East and NFC West.

OMG I'M OUTRAGED PLAY FOOZEBALL NOT TALK IT GOD THE EGO 

not sure anyone is outraged, just showing that rex is regressing back to his old ways. but hey, his first two years were his most outspoken and most successful, so who knows

If there is any boast I am inclined to believe, this is the one

it is the most realistic of the 3 boasts in the article but in order to deliver that secondary will have to somehow find a way to be top ten even with our elite D line. personally i think our defense will resemble the giants' D the first time they beat the pats in the superbowl. as we saw that year, pressure on the QB can make an average secondary look pretty good

it is the most realistic of the 3 boasts in the article but in order to deliver that secondary will have to somehow find a way to be top ten even with our elite D line. personally i think our defense will resemble the giants' D the first time they beat the pats in the superbowl. as we saw that year, pressure on the QB can make an average secondary look pretty good

I agree with this. Rattling the QB and making him think about the rush before he throws is better than having lock down corners IMO.  Eventually a WR gets open if there is no rush. If an NFL level QB gets comfortable in the pocket amazing things happen for an offense. If he feels like he's about to get killed mistakes are made. If our corners can be average they will look like they are better assuming we get pressure on the QB. 

of course it's best defense in the NFL.   They have the 2 best CB's, the best DL, Harris is the best MLB, Rex is the best DC, and Demario Davis has "Ray Lewis" like qualities.....and who could forget Kyle Wilson and his Dikembe Motumbo finger waving.     

the worst part of all of this nonsense is that this team was getting to be likeable again with the addition of some humility.   now not a day goes by that someone isn't the best, or top 5, or some such other nonsense.     For a team that hasn't won a Super Bowl in 35 years and hasn't been above .500 in 3 they sure have an amazing collection of talent.   

of course it's best defense in the NFL.   They have the 2 best CB's, the best DL, Harris is the best MLB, Rex is the best DC, and Demario Davis has "Ray Lewis" like qualities.....and who could forget Kyle Wilson and his Dikembe Motumbo finger waving.     

the worst part of all of this nonsense is that this team was getting to be likeable again with the addition of some humility.   now not a day goes by that someone isn't the best, or top 5, or some such other nonsense.     For a team that hasn't won a Super Bowl in 35 years and hasn't been above .500 in 3 they sure have an amazing collection of talent.   

My excitement for this team has dwindled since camp started. Not sure about the bullseye tactics here. The defense was average last year, terrible against the pass and terrible at creating turnovers. There's no superstar on the defense....enough already.

I am the best poster on JetNation.

No, you're not.

I believe what Calvin meant to say was:

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast,

But we like hot butter on our breakfast toast

Rock it up, Baby Bubba!

Baby Bubba to the boogie da bang bang da boogie

To the beat, beat, it's unique

Come on everybody and dance to the beat!"

Excellent use of Sugar Hill Gang reference, now I'M THE BEST POSTER ON JN!!!

Its a total shame having confident players.  Wish we had a bunch of pussies who know they suck to make the "fans" happy.

It is if they cant back it up. and their track record has been pretty bad on predictions. but hey Swagger! #Rex #Swagger/best defense/best team!! rah rah rah! TC just started yeah! eleventy billion! woo hoo!

Typical Jet bullsh*t. Rex and co. can't and haven't backed it up but continue to make a joke of the team. 

How about win a division title?

Or actual have a winning record?

Maybe even make the playoffs?

Again every non jet fan just laughs at us.

Typical Jet bullsh*t. Rex and co. can't and haven't backed it up but continue to make a joke of the team. 

How about win a division title?

Or actual have a winning record?

Maybe even make the playoffs?

Again every non jet fan just laughs at us.

Being a non jet fan yourself, you would know.

Its a total shame having confident players.  Wish we had a bunch of pussies who know they suck to make the "fans" happy.

Of course you love this. You're a Rex homer.

Who hasn't won sh*t btw.

The guy can't develop players.

Knows absolutely nothing about 2/3's of the team.

Mismanages clock. Is far too loyal.

Average HC who hasn't won sh*t. Not the guy I would slurp.

Archived