Jets are the Leaders in a New Era of QB Depth Management

EmDiggy

Good morning Jets fans! In our Monday 1st & Forever column, Gene Clemons looks at the Jets QB situation and talks about how they are setting the standard for how it should be managed

Here's the article, let me know your thoughts

Monday Jul, 2014 4:02 PM | by adminNO COMMENTS
The Jets May be the Leader of the New Era Written by Gene Clemons, FBGP Analyst

Football analysts and guys in the know will wax poetically about the importance of the quarterback. Many college and NFL coaches hitch their futures to what they consider to be a ‘franchise quarterback’ and for good reason. The quarterback controls the offense and has a chance to affect the game, positively or negatively, with every play.

With that in mind, it’s baffling that there is a lack of quality backups in the NFL. Money is obviously a major factor but how can you not give greater support to the most important position in football. The most unintelligent cliché in all of football has to be, “If you have two starting quarterbacks, then you don’t have one.” How does that make sense? If the Colts would have kept Peyton Manning and drafted Andrew Luck does that mean that they would cease to have a starting quarterback?

stafford1-300x201.jpg

Matthew Stafford, QB Detroit Lions. Photo Courtesy - www.thepigskinreport.com

NFL teams don’t even seem to choose backups that have similar qualities as their starter. This would allow them to keep their original game plan in tact regardless of the man under center. Instead you sometimes see opposites. In Detroit, Matthew Stafford is decently athletic and possesses a cannon for an arm, as a result the Lions’ offensive philosophy in drafting and game plans has been to stretch the field vertically. Insert Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush, and now Eric Ebron, that’s three guys with the ability to perfectly pair with Stafford’s downfield throwing ability. However, if Stafford is injured that leaves the Lions with Dan Orlovsky, Kellen Moore, and James Franklin to spearhead the high-powered vertical offense. That’s not a similar level of arm talent running off the bench.

hi-res-186877950-geno-smith-of-the-new-y

Geno Smith, QB New York Jets. Photo Courtesy - Al Bello/Getty Images

Surprisingly, there is only one team in the NFL that has seemed to get this idea and have in place a quarterback succession that allows them to be consistent regardless of the man calling signals. The New York Jets have positioned themselves to be the pied piper of the NFL when it comes to quarterback situations.

Here’s the Jets QB Depth Chart:

Geno Smith 6’3” 221lbs

Michael Vick 6’0” 215lbs

Tajh Boyd 6’1” 222lbs

Physically, they are all similar. Athletically, they are all similar. Mentally, they play the same type of game. They all have very live arms and they all can seriously hurt you with their running ability.

Did the Jets “Forrest Gump” into this situation or was it calculated? They drafted a

Tajh-Boyd-clemson-tigers1-96x96.jpg

Rookie QB Tajh Boyd, New York Jets. Photo Courtesy - www.topbet.eu

quarterback to be the starter last season, in the offseason they brought in a veteran to mentor and push their starter, and in the draft, they was able to add another quality quarterback with similar attributes. Because of these moves, the Jets have made it possible to absorb a quarterback injury at the position; they’ve also made it possible to keep the paychecks of their quarterbacks reasonable.

It has long been my belief that the philosophy surrounding quarterbacks in the NFL is

flawed. Why wouldn’t more teams have two or more quarterbacks that they truly believe in, and that were capable of running the same offense effectively because they possess similar traits?

2a0c20104d952042df093769ff85ad64-96x96.j

New Seattle Seahawks QB Terrelle Pryor. Photo Courtesy - Getty Images

With that in mind, here are some suggestions for teams with special quarterback needs. The San Francisco 49ers and Carolina Panthers both should make serious plays for Terrelle Pryor in the offseason. He would be a perfect backup for their quarterback situations. He’s a big, strong, and ultra athletic quarterback who has the arm talent to make all the throws. Imagine battling Cam Newton or Colin Kaepernick and knocking them out of the game only to see Pryor trot on the field. That would be demoralizing.

The Cleveland Browns should definitely keep Connor Shaw as the third quarterback. When Johnny Manziel rises to the starting spot he will definitely run one too

many times and when he is hurt, Shaw will be able to step in and do similar things as

ncf_g_shaw_gb2_400x6001-200x300.jpg

Browns QB Connor Shaw. Photo Courtesy - Streeter Lecka, Getty Images

Manziel. Shaw was the second most productive quarterback in the SEC during the Manziel years. Both of them will learn the offense together and be able to help each other grow in the position.

Boyd going to the Jets and Aaron Murray being drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs were the only two teams that drafted a quarterback with similar traits as their incumbents. Teams should stop looking to the New England Patriots scrap heap to find their next quarterback and actually make their front offices do their job.

The idea that there are not enough good quarterbacks in the NFL is laughable, especially when you have your pick of every quarterback playing football. The new belief should be that there are not enough good NFL front office personnel.

Questions? Comments?

Email – gclemons@footballgameplan.com

Twitter – @geneclemons

so better to have 3 below average qbs than 1 excellent franchise qb and 2 barely functional backups. i'd rather take my chances with a stud and write off the season if he breaks his leg than be comforted knowing that no matter who comes in he will suck about the same as the guy who went down.

No chance Simms beats out Boyd.

If nothing else, I think we can all agree that the #3 battle for the Jets will certainly be intense.

Simms:  "I'm totally going to win the job, because my dad was QB for the other NY football team!"

Boyd:  "Oh yeah?  Well I was college teammates with our coaches son!"

A new era of QB depth management indeed.

meh.  they eventually cut terminator, and this is idzik now, not tanny.  we'll see in the PS games who gets the reps after vick. 

They cut him after several seasons.  Boyd was drafted this year, by Idzik, and you think they'll cut him after a few preseason games?  Not happening.  Boyd is our # 3 QB. 

Only way Simms sticks is if they carry 4 QB's.  He's had his chance, as did his predecessors Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, and Greg McElroy.  All pretty much the same guy.

They cut him after several seasons.  Boyd was drafted this year, by Idzik, and you think they'll cut him after a few preseason games?  Not happening.  Boyd is our # 3 QB. 

Only way Simms sticks is if they carry 4 QB's.  He's had his chance, as did his predecessors Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff, and Greg McElroy.  All pretty much the same guy.

boyd to PS

Geno is not a running QB.

He's athletic enough to occasionally break a nice run, but we shouldn't count on it.

It's not his natural instinct, but he looked pretty good doing it at the end of last year. I don't even particularly want a QB who runs like Vick or Kaepernick, but if Geno can tuck and run for a first down when there's nothing to throw to on a consistent basis, I'll be very pleased.

It's not his natural instinct, but he looked pretty good doing it at the end of last year. I don't even particularly want a QB who runs like Vick or Kaepernick, but if Geno can tuck and run for a first down when there's nothing to throw to on a consistent basis, I'll be very pleased.

Tom Brady looks good when he has run with the ball too. It doesn't mean he should or that it's "natural". It means he is a professional athlete.

To me its more being able to elude the pass rush, and extend plays.  Sometimes that might mean running for the first down, and others scrambling away from the rush quick enough outside the pocket to be able to look back down field, set, and throw to a now wide open reciever that usually breaks free during such fire drills.  Geno also showed average vision in running the read option around the goaline, with a little improvement there the Jets could essentialy run that down there with Geno in shotgun flanked by Ivory, and C Johnson, and reading whether to give it up the gut to Ivory for the score, pitch it to CJ for the score, or take it in a different lane himself for the score. 

To me its more being able to elude the pass rush, and extend plays.  Sometimes that might mean running for the first down, and others scrambling away from the rush quick enough outside the pocket to be able to look back down field, set, and throw to a now wide open reciever that usually breaks free during such fire drills.  Geno also showed average vision in running the read option around the goaline, with a little improvement there the Jets could essentialy run that down there with Geno in shotgun flanked by Ivory, and C Johnson, and reading whether to give it up the gut to Ivory for the score, pitch it to CJ for the score, or take it in a different lane himself for the score. 

This is what Brady does well. Even if he is a sexy drunk giraffe. 

This is what Brady does well. Even if he is a sexy drunk giraffe. 

Yup, and everyone does it their own way, look at Big Ben dude just sits there and shrugs off 300 pounders like they are little kids, moves around a little, and fires, then you got the Russel Wilson who usually runs backwards 10 yards before deciding which side of the field to run back towards the line of scrimmage.  The last 4 games last year Geno pulled the ball down the second he didn't have anything, this lowered his turnovers by not forcing the ball to somewhere covered, and extended drives by getting a few extra 1st downs with his legs.  This year he needs to take the next step which is extend the play, and find open WR's on occasion for big plays, not just tucking, and running.

Is Major Harris available?

I am not sure who Major Harris is. But I think this is going to start a trend in the NFL. You will soon see teams looking for poor mans versions of their starting QB. And we will be able to look back and take credit for that trend, I love it!

I am not sure who Major Harris is. But I think this is going to start a trend in the NFL. You will soon see teams looking for poor mans versions of their starting QB. And we will be able to look back and take credit for that trend, I love it!

Seahawks last year:

Russell Wilson

Tavares Jackson

Some other run / pass-ey guy

Every other team, since forever:

White stiff

White stiff

White stiff

This is the FURTHEST thing from a trend possible. The only thing about it with us is that we chose to load up on black QBs that could be sold as run-first even though they aren't.

Archived