Mehta: Coples Needs a Mean Streak

T0mShane

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember when we could have a conversation about Jets players on here without a select group of radical homers circling the wagons around said player like he was their newborn child?

Look at this article Mehta wrote about Bill Parcells, it's exactly like the one he wrote about Rich Kotite.

Let's converse.

Are we really trying to draw comparisons between Gholston and Coples?

Gholston career stats, three years: 5 starts, 16 tackles, nothing registered in any other category.

Coples career stats, two years: 15 starts, 46 tackles, 10 sacks, 5 passes defensed, 1 forced fumble.

Basically the same player.

#ManishShane

Bravo

shane threads

(the teams #1 fan mind you)

- 26. New York Jets

- Final tally: The Jets go 7-9, but it was a gritty 7-9 and Pete Carroll went 7-9 once.

Calvin Pryor: "We hate the Pats and Giants"

sorry for the crazy colors and fonts

but shane, stop trolling and posters may take you seriously

How was the traffic in those threads, Larz? Or did we want to discuss Clyde Gates' efficacy all day?

Remember when we could have a conversation about Jets players on here without a select group of radical homers circling the wagons around said player like he was their newborn child?

I hate when guys do that.

Yes really. Rex rarely calls out his own guys, and he's repeatedly and publicly criticized Coples's work ethic.

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with Gholston. Vernon never met a piece of gym equipment he didn't like. He's probably working out in a gym full of mirrors right now, admiring his impressive physique. His problem was that he was either too stiff or too dumb to play at the NFL level. There was never an issue with his work ethic.

Coples is just lazy. He's lazy in the weight room, and lazy on the field. He's probably got a pile of unpaid bills on his table, dirty dishes in his sink, and laundry on his exercise bike at home. His problem is that he's inclined to rely on his natural ability to play at this level - something he has quite a bit of.

Some hack writer comes along saying each player needs a mean streak only proves he's a hack writer. A mean streak wouldn't make either of these guys a better player, even if a mean streak was possible to attain. Gholston would be stiff and mean, Coples would be lazy and mean. No help.

Hopefully in the case of Coples, losing the weight took him some work, and he's developed a better work ethic as a result. Like Gholston.

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with Gholston. Vernon never met a piece of gym equipment he didn't like. He's probably working out in a gym full of mirrors right now, admiring his impressive physique. His problem was that he was either too stiff or too dumb to play at the NFL level. There was never an issue with his work ethic.

Coples is just lazy. He's lazy in the weight room, and lazy on the field. He's probably got a pile of unpaid bills on his table, dirty dishes in his sink, and laundry on his exercise bike at home. His problem is that he's inclined to rely on his natural ability to play at this level - something he has quite a bit of.

Some hack writer comes along saying each player needs a mean streak only proves he's a hack writer. A mean streak wouldn't make either of these guys a better player, even if a mean streak was possible to attain. Gholston would be stiff and mean, Coples would be lazy and mean. No help.

Hopefully in the case of Coples, losing the weight took him some work, and he's developed a better work ethic as a result. Like Gholston.

Your last point is the catch...Is a guy who was 6'6 290 and supossedly dropped 15+ pounds and has less than 9% body fat, lazy? Typically not.

This is also the same guy who came back from a fractured ankle after a month.

It's also weird to me that a dude with the gnarliest brands on his arms I've ever seen lacks nastiness or doesn't have a mean streak. You gotta be a little crazy to get that done to that extreme.

Maybe Coples just hasn't blossomed yet? Not every player is like Mo and Sheldon. I think Coples will be nasty this year.

Your last point is the catch...Is a guy who was 6'6 290 and supossedly dropped 15+ pounds and has less than 9% body fat, lazy? Typically not.

It's also weird to me that a dude with the gnarliest brands on his arms I've ever seen lacks nastiness or doesn't have a mean streak. You gotta be a little crazy to get that done to that extreme.

Sweet merciful crap.

Gee whiz people.

I'm confused. I don't know the guy, I'm just making some basic observations from a very far distance.

Lazy and less than 9% body fat doesn't add up for a 6'6 290 pound man. It usually takes hard work to stay in that type of shape. No?

Maybe Coples just hasn't blossomed yet? Not every player is like Mo and Sheldon. I think Coples will be nasty this year.

Aaron Hernandez isn't a psycho, he just hasn't blossomed yet.

That's my feeling. He came on at the end of his rookie year, and then again last year; his first in a new position. This will be the first year he's playing the same position a second year in a row. He's had all offseason to prepare. He needs to start the season as well as he's finished the last two, and play that way consistently throughout the year. I think he will.

I'm confused. I don't know the guy, I'm just making some basic observations from a very far distance.

Lazy and less than 9% body fat doesn't add up. It usually takes hard work to stay in that type of shape. No?

He cut weight this offseason because he didnt have a position. Strictly on the field though, you'd like to see more aggression, backside pursuit, not taking plays off etc.  

Pretty devious of Mehta to start planting stories about Coples being lazy all the way back when Coples was a freshman at UNC.

Mehta's a hack, and Coples is lazy.

You're the devious one, trying to draw comparisons between Coples and Gholston using a known hack as your device.

Mehta's a hack, and Coples is lazy.

You're the devious one, trying to draw comparisons between Coples and Gholston using a known hack as your device.

If Coples washes out, it will be for the same reason that Gholston washed out--he didn't like football. That's your comparison.

Aaron Hernandez isn't a psycho, he just hasn't blossomed yet.

I know you're all having a lot of fun and its the new JN way just to be snarky and provide no content but what did I say that was so crazy?

Is it impossible for Coples to have a break out season? Is it possible that one comment 2 years ago from Rex is being taking a little too far? Seems to me like Coples worked hard to get back in the line up last year and worked hard this offseason to shed weight. I just don't typically associate those characteristics with someone lazy.

Maybe the branding comment was a stretch but I don't see what else in my post is so out far fetched.

Archived