Mehta: Coples Needs a Mean Streak

T0mShane

Sure, you're a super die hard fan, who claims that a guy like Coples just runs on the treadmill becuase he doesn't like football.

The guy has multiple millions of dollars in the bank. If, as you claim, he didn't like football, then he would undoubtedly take the Albert Haynesworth route. Why the hell would he ever lift a finger so that he could be a better player? It makes absolutely zero sense. Hell, even if he didn't lose a friggin ounce. Even if he put on 20 pounds, the Jets would keep him around to make a couple more million before they'd give up on him and cut him. He'd be in his early 20's, sitting on about four million dollars, and unemployed. He'd be 100% able to do anything he sees fit, rather than continuing to work at a job he doesn't like.

This is a guy whose play got better and better as the season went on, even as the Jets playoff chances got slimmer and slimmer.

Now you tell me, what kind of human being hates their job, but continues to do it despite the opportunity to stop doing it and sit on a stack of money. What sense would it make for him to play at a higher level and continue to show growth and improvement during a time when the wins mean less and less? Nobody. Nobody in their right mind does that (there's your opening to change directions and accuse him of having a psychological disorder).

Many professional athletes hate the sports they play. Curtis Martin will happily tell you all about how much he disliked football, but used it to get out of the hood. No one hates any job enough to leave a million bucks on the table.

Now, if you want to say that he takes some plays off, I won't be able to argue that because I don't watch him on every single snap, and I also don't know his responsibility on every single play like a lot of posters do.

Again, Coples' motivation issues are well-documented, from his college career, to the draft process, all the way up to two months ago when Rex ripped his effort in the weight room.

I have zero issues with blasting a team if/when it's justified and makes sense. But to constantly read about how everyone is worthless, and stupid, and clueless, and heartless, and gutless despite the fact that in many cases that facts 100% contradict the accusation eventually gets old.

Never happened. All of this is hyperbole.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom, u know I respect ya on JN (not BSing), but be a 'tad' careful of not crossing into the 'Assmop Zone' ;) Sprinkle 'some' good stuff around as well ... :)

Now with that being said, IF from a PR/marketing/hype point of view, this is the chosen part u have been assigned on Radio show, ignore all I said above. I understand PR :)

I was fired from the radio show.

Tom, u know I respect ya on JN (not BSing), but be a 'tad' careful of not crossing into the 'Assmop Zone' ;) Sprinkle 'some' good stuff around as well ... :)

Now with that being said, IF from a PR/marketing/hype point of view, this is the chosen part u have been assigned on Radio show, ignore all I said above. I understand PR :)

T0m was a negative **** before Marconi. 

I don't hate the team. I didn't hate the team when I ripped Herm. I didn't hate the team when I ripped Bradway. I didn't hate the team when I ripped Tannenbaum or Coslet or Kotite, and I don't hate the team because I think Rex is a loser. If you define "hating the team" as "questioning specific personnel on said team," then, yes, I hate the team. This thread isn't about me "hating" Coples. This thread is about discussing whether or not a player who has been dogged by questions about his desire to play once high school can overcome that label.

Seems like it's mostly about you hating the team, and at a minimum defining the parameters of team hate relative to the amount if time spent in your mother's basement .

He doesnt have enough moves to play on the inside....he's a one move guy. I just dont know if he's athletic enough to play the outside either though....the weight loss seems like a last ditch effort before we move on.

he rushes most effectively over center. that is why he makes an ideal outside linebacker.

really? I havent been listening, I always forget and am on LazyBoy watching History Channel 2 at that time anyways, LOL

For being too negative?

Not for his content, which would've been completely justified, but because he lives in a land before internet connectivity.

Many professional athletes hate the sports they play. Curtis Martin will happily tell you all about how much he disliked football, but used it to get out of the hood. No one hates any job enough to leave a million bucks on the table.

Again, Coples' motivation issues are well-documented, from his college career, to the draft process, all the way up to two months ago when Rex ripped his effort in the weight room.

Never happened. All of this is hyperbole.

-Curtis said he didn't want to play football, if you watch his actions on the field and are willing to be honest and objective, I'm not sure how you could come to the conclusion that he hated football.

-As I said earlier, I don't watch him on every single snap, and I don't know exactly what his assignment is on each play.  For those who have access to the play book and real-time defensive calls...I'll let them decide how much effort he's putting in.

-Yes, Hyperbole...we never hear excessive complaining about this team from you.

Can't wait to hear the complaints about the Jets' inability to do anything right when the season kicks off.

If Coples needs to be told in a newspaper article by a ninny like Manless Mehta to 'man up' he has already lost it. I live near Chapel Hill and have heard Coples motor ran sporadically as it seems to be in the NFL also. He is who he is, a good player who will not be a great one because he is satisfied with 'doing his job' and little else.

If Coples needs to be told in a newspaper article by a ninny like Manless Mehta to 'man up' he has already lost it. I live near Chapel Hill and have heard Coples motor ran sporadically as it seems to be in the NFL also. He is who he is, a good player who will not be a great one because he is satisfied with 'doing his job' and little else.

but he lifts weights

To be fair, that worthless POS Mehta is just repeating what Klecko said a couple months ago.  You're right though, if everyone who says that he takes plays off is right, he may end up just being an above average player instead of the stud he could be with his natural ability. 

how many gnarly brands do u have bro

ok tom, manish

what is the update today ?

did he look pensive ? annoyed ?  bored ?  mean ?

The word is he's been a camp standout.  Eventhough he hates Football, lacks a mean face, is lazy and just wants to dance.

Archived