Mark Sanchez says Philly fans are 'nicer' than New York fans

Kleckineau

As gaffes go, Mark Sanchez has a high bar to clear to get past the Butt Fumble. But the former Jet and new Eagle gave it the ol' college try on Monday, offering up a quote that we're sure will follow him around.

In discussing his new digs with Philadelphia, Sanchez offered up a direct assessment: "The fans are a lot nicer here." In addition to being the first time that the Philadelphia fans have been classified as nicer than anyone, this also seems a bit of misplaced frustration on Sanchez's part.

Sure, he lost his job to injury and Geno Smith. And sure, he was unfairly reduced to a bit player in the let-Tim-Tebow-play debacle. But to rip the people who actually choose to root for the Jets? That's like kicking a puppy.

Sanchez will be backing up Nick Foles, who's only coming off a career season, so it's possible Sanchez won't ever have to hear the gentle caresses of a Philly crowd. But Jets fans are a whole different story. When they're angry, you can hear them from orbit.

The Eagles play the Jets at home the fourth game of preseason, and travel to New York to play the Giants in Week 17. We're certain Jets fans will be ready to show him just how nice they can be.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/mark-sanchez-says-philly-fans-are--nicer--than-new-york-fans-002700302.html

Update: Sanchez clarified his comments on Twitter, saying he wasn't talking about Jets fans at all:

BtrW50aCEAEyUeR.jpg

I don't know. Could be, since the line before and after that aren't shown, nor was the question he responded to.  

But if he was comparing Philly fans past vs present then it seems he would have said, "The fans are a lot nicer now," rather than "The fans are a lot nicer here."

Philly fans being the worst is a sports tradition.  Nobody doubts it.

WhenI was a kid I was reading Joe Garagiola's book Baseball Is A Funny Game and he recounted about how Philly fans were the worst.  As his career started in 1946 this constitutes proof that Philly fans were the dregs going back to at least WWII.

Update: Sanchez clarified his comments on Twitter, saying he wasn't talking about Jets fans at all:

BtrW50aCEAEyUeR.jpg

I don't know. Could be, since the line before and after that aren't shown, nor was the question he responded to.  

But if he was comparing Philly fans past vs present then it seems he would have said, "The fans are a lot nicer now," rather than "The fans are a lot nicer here."

I pictured you as Judge Judy when reading this. It increases the pwnage of Smanchest.

BtrW50aCEAEyUeR.jpg

Seems like he was asked the difference between NY and Philly ... In any event, I don't know why anyone would give a sh*t what this moron thinks. Do people really get upset by something like this?

That fan treatment appears to have stuck with Sanchez, who on Monday offered up an interesting opinion on a difference between New York and Philadelphia.

"The fans," Sanchez said, "are a lot nicer here."

BtrW50aCEAEyUeR.jpg

Obviously he was simply referring to the different part of Philly that he was in at that time.  Don't be a dumbass.

Seems like he was asked the difference between NY and Philly ... In any event, I don't know why anyone would give a sh*t what this moron thinks. Do people really get upset by something like this?

That fan treatment appears to have stuck with Sanchez, who on Monday offered up an interesting opinion on a difference between New York and Philadelphia.

"The fans," Sanchez said, "are a lot nicer here."

I can't imagine a single Jets fan is upset over this. But I do think thousands will have fun with it the next time he's in the stadium.

philly loves a winner. it will hate mark sanchez. but because of the Rocky ethos in the city, they always root for the underdog until the underdog sh*ts the bed and then its a lynching on Broad Street

Mark will be a good backup.  If he has to come in for short periods of time to just cover for the injurer starter he will be very adequate.  If he plays long enough for a DC to get film and game plan for him he will be rendered useless.  

You are talking about the difference between his first start as a rookie, and every other start since.

The game film exists.

You are talking about the difference between his first start as a rookie, and every other start since.

The game film exists.

No.  He will come out in Chip Kelly's system and look great for a game or two.  After that he is easily exploited.  

I know everyone on these boards hates Sanchez with a passion, but does anyone really think that the Daily News reporter that came up with this story could not have been twisting things so he had a story?

It just amazes me that with no one left to hand him stories he just keeps making sh*t up.

I know everyone on these boards hates Sanchez with a passion, but does anyone really think that the Daily News reporter that came up with this story could not have been twisting things so he had a story?

It just amazes me that with no one left to hand him stories he just keeps making sh*t up.

yeah. but its fun hating sanchize and all his money and pooha he gets.

As gaffes go, Mark Sanchez has a high bar to clear to get past the Butt Fumble. But the former Jet and new Eagle gave it the ol' college try on Monday, offering up a quote that we're sure will follow him around.

In discussing his new digs with Philadelphia, Sanchez offered up a direct assessment: "The fans are a lot nicer here." In addition to being the first time that the Philadelphia fans have been classified as nicer than anyone, this also seems a bit of misplaced frustration on Sanchez's part.

Sure, he lost his job to injury and Geno Smith. And sure, he was unfairly reduced to a bit player in the let-Tim-Tebow-play debacle. But to rip the people who actually choose to root for the Jets? That's like kicking a puppy.

Sanchez will be backing up Nick Foles, who's only coming off a career season, so it's possible Sanchez won't ever have to hear the gentle caresses of a Philly crowd. But Jets fans are a whole different story. When they're angry, you can hear them from orbit.

The Eagles play the Jets at home the fourth game of preseason, and travel to New York to play the Giants in Week 17. We're certain Jets fans will be ready to show him just how nice they can be.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/mark-sanchez-says-philly-fans-are--nicer--than-new-york-fans-002700302.html

Wait until his first pick six on a screen pass where the guy "Jumps out of the gym" the he will see the true Philly fans.

Archived