Sign in to follow this  
TuscanyTile2

Guy We Didn't Draft (Though Talked About) Dazzles At Saints Camp

TuscanyTile2    1,634

This is the guy I wanted the Jets to draft.  Don't get me wrong though.  After seeing Calvin Pryor's highlights (crushing hits), I was fine w/ the pick.  I'm no expert anyway.  But I will be following Brandin Cooks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000371038/article/brandin-cook

Rookie wide receiver Brandin Cooks lit up training camp on Tuesday with the session's finest play, taking a Brees screen pass the distance and showing off his speed and wiggle along the way.s-dazzles-at-new-orleans-saints-camp

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Matt39    35,845

Prefer a rebuilding team not take under 6' WR's that early.

Matt39    35,845

As for the video- he took a perfectly blocked screen pass the distance off of one cut.

Larz    59,400

what, a guy getting a concussion, and the other guy dropping passes before re-aggrivating an old knee injury isn't good enough for you ?

• Upvote 1

JerryK    70,948

As for the video- he took a perfectly blocked screen pass the distance off of one cut.

He'll never get that in NJ.

slats    96,058

Well, I guess you can watch his career and lament the Jets not drafting him every day, but there's no way he would be able to accomplish in the Meadowlands with Geno (or Vick for that matter) what he'll be able to do with Brees in a dome.

Gastineau Lives    3,793

Well, I guess you can watch his career and lament the Jets not drafting him every day, but there's no way he would be able to accomplish in the Meadowlands with Geno (or Vick for that matter) what he'll be able to do with Brees in a dome.

So the argument against drafting him is airtight then, is what you're saying?

Bugg    40,263

This whole offense and scoring points thing is really overrated. We should punt on 2nd down.

slats    96,058

I support the team taking the first safety off the board instead of the fourth WR; a tiny, speedy WR at that. The pass defense needed nearly as much help as the passing offense. We'll see how the careers of Cooks and Pryor go, with an eye on Jalen Saunders, too.

Would I've been excited if they took Cooks? Yeah, I would've. I think it would've been a bold pick. The boom/bust potential is significantly greater with Cooks. I don't think that's the kind of pick you're ever going to see Idzik make in the first round, though. I'm sure he wants star potential, but I have a feeling that a high floor is more important to him than a high ceiling that high.

Matt39    35,845

If we were going to go receiver that early it had to be Benjamin. I would have probably taken the kid Seattle took(Richardson) over Cooks too.

• Downvote 1

T0mShane    90,820

I support the team taking the first safety off the board instead of the fourth WR; a tiny, speedy WR at that. The pass defense needed nearly as much help as the passing offense. We'll see how the careers of Cooks and Pryor go, with an eye on Jalen Saunders, too.

Would I've been excited if they took Cooks? Yeah, I would've. I think it would've been a bold pick. The boom/bust potential is significantly greater with Cooks. I don't think that's the kind of pick you're ever going to see Idzik make in the first round, though. I'm sure he wants star potential, but I have a feeling that a high floor is more important to him than a high ceiling that high.

I agree with this, too. It's unfair to compare a WR going into the Saints system to any other pick made this year, really. Brees and Payton will make pretty much everyone a star (Kenny Stills, for instance). I was disappointed they passed on playmakers in the first the last two years, but I'm hoping Idzik is waiting to see what kind of QB play he gets before investing heavily in receivers.

T0mShane    90,820

If we were going to go receiver that early it had to be Benjamin. I would have probably taken the kid Seattle took(Richardson) over Cooks too.

Cordarelle Patterson is supposedly killing people in practices. Him v Milliner in the draft could hurt.

bitonti    36,751

it's hard to imagine a lineup with Kerley and Cooks on the field at the same time

follow up question how would Kerley look on the Saints? 

Edited by bitonti

faba    117,901

We all know what a player does in a couple days of training camp makes them an all pro

Integrity28    60,532

Oh cool, we're already at the part of the season where we whine about the guys we didn't draft.

Gastineau Lives    3,793

Kelvin Benjamin is a stiff.

Gastineau Lives    3,793

Oh cool, we're already at the part of the season where we whine about the guys we didn't draft.

Nobody's whining. I started a whole thread before the draft about how much I liked Pryor.

Integrity28    60,532

Nobody's whining. I started a whole thread before the draft about how much I liked Pryor.

How do you know I was taking about you? Also, you whine.

#27TheDominator    203,573

I agree with this, too. It's unfair to compare a WR going into the Saints system to any other pick made this year, really. Brees and Payton will make pretty much everyone a star (Kenny Stills, for instance). I was disappointed they passed on playmakers in the first the last two years, but I'm hoping Idzik is waiting to see what kind of QB play he gets before investing heavily in receivers.

It didn't work so well for Robert Meachem. 

I liked Cooks.  Unlike Matt I would have preferred him to a boom or bust guy like Benjamin.  Even though my point about Meachem stands, obviously Cooks has a better opportunity for success with the Saints than the Jets.  The draft being so deep at WR plays into the value more than system they are joining.  The Jets drafted 3 WRs in a deep draft.  If none pan out then it was a failure, but if one does and Pryor and Cooks are both highly rated at their positions, the Jets are probably considerably better off.

Matt39    35,845

Cordarelle Patterson is supposedly killing people in practices. Him v Milliner in the draft could hurt.

I liked him and Justin Hunter a ton.

Matt39    35,845

It didn't work so well for Robert Meachem. 

I liked Cooks.  Unlike Matt I would have preferred him to a boom or bust guy like Benjamin.  Even though my point about Meachem stands, obviously Cooks has a better opportunity for success with the Saints than the Jets.  The draft being so deep at WR plays into the value more than system they are joining.  The Jets drafted 3 WRs in a deep draft.  If none pan out then it was a failure, but if one does and Pryor and Cooks are both highly rated at their positions, the Jets are probably considerably better off.

I think Cooks is fairly boom or bust too. Obviously his situation is way preferable to the Jets...but how many 5'10 and under receivers in this league are worth being taken that high? You need to be super freaky athletically....not sure if Cooks is quite that.

Santana Moss and Desean Jackson are the two that come to mind...but guys who can box out in the redzone are what this team needed imo and are the true #1 guys in the league. Decker should help.

Edited by Matt39