Guy We Didn't Draft (Though Talked About) Dazzles At Saints Camp

TuscanyTile2

This is the guy I wanted the Jets to draft.  Don't get me wrong though.  After seeing Calvin Pryor's highlights (crushing hits), I was fine w/ the pick.  I'm no expert anyway.  But I will be following Brandin Cooks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000371038/article/brandin-cook

Rookie wide receiver Brandin Cooks lit up training camp on Tuesday with the session's finest play, taking a Brees screen pass the distance and showing off his speed and wiggle along the way.s-dazzles-at-new-orleans-saints-camp

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I guess you can watch his career and lament the Jets not drafting him every day, but there's no way he would be able to accomplish in the Meadowlands with Geno (or Vick for that matter) what he'll be able to do with Brees in a dome.

Well, I guess you can watch his career and lament the Jets not drafting him every day, but there's no way he would be able to accomplish in the Meadowlands with Geno (or Vick for that matter) what he'll be able to do with Brees in a dome.

So the argument against drafting him is airtight then, is what you're saying?

So the argument against drafting him is airtight then, is what you're saying?

I support the team taking the first safety off the board instead of the fourth WR; a tiny, speedy WR at that. The pass defense needed nearly as much help as the passing offense. We'll see how the careers of Cooks and Pryor go, with an eye on Jalen Saunders, too.

Would I've been excited if they took Cooks? Yeah, I would've. I think it would've been a bold pick. The boom/bust potential is significantly greater with Cooks. I don't think that's the kind of pick you're ever going to see Idzik make in the first round, though. I'm sure he wants star potential, but I have a feeling that a high floor is more important to him than a high ceiling that high.

I support the team taking the first safety off the board instead of the fourth WR; a tiny, speedy WR at that. The pass defense needed nearly as much help as the passing offense. We'll see how the careers of Cooks and Pryor go, with an eye on Jalen Saunders, too.

Would I've been excited if they took Cooks? Yeah, I would've. I think it would've been a bold pick. The boom/bust potential is significantly greater with Cooks. I don't think that's the kind of pick you're ever going to see Idzik make in the first round, though. I'm sure he wants star potential, but I have a feeling that a high floor is more important to him than a high ceiling that high.

I agree with this, too. It's unfair to compare a WR going into the Saints system to any other pick made this year, really. Brees and Payton will make pretty much everyone a star (Kenny Stills, for instance). I was disappointed they passed on playmakers in the first the last two years, but I'm hoping Idzik is waiting to see what kind of QB play he gets before investing heavily in receivers.

If we were going to go receiver that early it had to be Benjamin. I would have probably taken the kid Seattle took(Richardson) over Cooks too.

Cordarelle Patterson is supposedly killing people in practices. Him v Milliner in the draft could hurt.

I agree with this, too. It's unfair to compare a WR going into the Saints system to any other pick made this year, really. Brees and Payton will make pretty much everyone a star (Kenny Stills, for instance). I was disappointed they passed on playmakers in the first the last two years, but I'm hoping Idzik is waiting to see what kind of QB play he gets before investing heavily in receivers.

It didn't work so well for Robert Meachem. 

I liked Cooks.  Unlike Matt I would have preferred him to a boom or bust guy like Benjamin.  Even though my point about Meachem stands, obviously Cooks has a better opportunity for success with the Saints than the Jets.  The draft being so deep at WR plays into the value more than system they are joining.  The Jets drafted 3 WRs in a deep draft.  If none pan out then it was a failure, but if one does and Pryor and Cooks are both highly rated at their positions, the Jets are probably considerably better off.

It didn't work so well for Robert Meachem. 

I liked Cooks.  Unlike Matt I would have preferred him to a boom or bust guy like Benjamin.  Even though my point about Meachem stands, obviously Cooks has a better opportunity for success with the Saints than the Jets.  The draft being so deep at WR plays into the value more than system they are joining.  The Jets drafted 3 WRs in a deep draft.  If none pan out then it was a failure, but if one does and Pryor and Cooks are both highly rated at their positions, the Jets are probably considerably better off.

I think Cooks is fairly boom or bust too. Obviously his situation is way preferable to the Jets...but how many 5'10 and under receivers in this league are worth being taken that high? You need to be super freaky athletically....not sure if Cooks is quite that.

Santana Moss and Desean Jackson are the two that come to mind...but guys who can box out in the redzone are what this team needed imo and are the true #1 guys in the league. Decker should help.

I think Cooks is fairly boom or bust too. Obviously his situation is way preferable to the Jets...but how many 5'10 and under receivers in this league are worth being taken that high? You need to be super freaky athletically....not sure if Cooks is quite that.

Santana Moss and Desean Jackson are the two that come to mind...but guys who can box out in the redzone are what this team needed imo and are the true #1 guys in the league. Decker should help.

Yeah, another reason to avoid picking him that high.  I don't think Mornhinweg is really looking for big box out guys though, I think he'd prefer a smaller speedster.  I am no draft expert, I just know that I *liked* Cooks better than I liked Benjamin. I think Cooks combine showed he may be that freak athletically.  Plus, that is basically my size, so maybe I am biased! 

Based on what- your opinion? He's starting for the Panthers as their #1.

Aren't the Panthers the only team with worse WR than the Jets?

Matt, what else do we have here but our opinions? 

That receiving corp is one of the worst non-Jet lineups in recent memory.

Agreed. It's all opinion, but Benjamin is a pretty versatile guy for a big man...he'll be lining up in the slot(Jimmy Graham, on the outside etc. His catch radius is enormous..

The speed at this level is so crazy it requires you to be able to catch while covered- mismatch wise Benjamin v Cooks..Benjamin would have been a better player for us. The Saints already have Jimmy Graham and needed to replace Sproles.

Cooks is probably going to to be closer to a Darren Sproles replacement than some slot WR extraordinaire.  Their only decent pass-catching RB they have at the moment is Pierre Thomas, and while he can handle that duty fairly well, he's no Sproles. 

Cooks fits their system and will do well with Brees, but it doesn't mean us passing on him was a dumb decision.  I'd rather have an impact safety than a Dexter McCluster type. 

Archived