BLAH BLAH BLAH-please stop it already until you win something

Bugg

Truth. George Willis, today's NY Post. http://nypost.com/2014/07/29/the-jets-have-a-confidence-problem/

CORTLAND — Dee Milliner was trying to explain why he would call himself the best cornerback in the National Football League when it isn’t clear whether he’s the best cornerback on the Jets.

“I have confidence in myself,” he insisted Tuesday following a practice at SUNY-Cortland. “I’m not worried about it. I’ve just got to go out and show what I can do and that’s go out and be the best player I can be.”

Milliner’s recent proclamation he’s better than Richard Sherman, Darrelle Revis and Patrick Peterson could be passed off as a simple over-expression of self-confidence. But it was just one of a series of statements coming out of Jets camp last weekend that has you wondering whether the Jets are going back to their trash-talking ways.

Milliner not only called himself the best cornerback in the NFL, but linebacker Calvin Pace reportedly predicted the Jets would have the best defense in the NFL. In addition, Geno Smith said recently he hopes to be among the top five quarterbacks in the league by season’s end.

“We have confidence in ourselves,” Smith said Tuesday. “We understand it takes a ton of hard work and you have to prove it on the field. But we don’t want to sell ourselves short.”

Among those applauding the bravado is head coach Rex Ryan, who said, “It’s who we are, it’s how we feel.”

Please stop.

Wasn’t the arrival of general manager John Idzik supposed to put an end to the self-promoting Jets? Guess what? They’re back. You’ll get no complaints from Ryan.

“You can’t hide in this league so if you’re saying it, that’s great because they really believe it,” the coach said, adding, “that means you’re going to put in the work. You’re willing to do that and you know what comes with it. That’s a good sign I think.”

History suggests it’s not necessarily a good sign when the Jets start patting themselves on the back before the games even begin. We’ve seen this act before and it usually doesn’t live up to expectations.

The Jets were the greatest team in the league during Ryan’s first two seasons as head coach. We know this because he and his players told us so every chance they got. But the swagger and Super Bowl guarantees only got them as far as two AFC Championship games.

Now after barely keeping his job following an 8-8 season last year, Ryan is starting to sound like the coach from 2010 and 2011. So are his players.

Ryan was quick on Tuesday to reference a quote by boxing legend Ray Robinson: “To be a champion, you’ve got to believe in yourself when nobody else will.”

Problem is the Jets haven’t won any kind of championship under Ryan, which makes any discussion of self-anointed greatness seem ridiculous, especially from Milliner. The first-round pick in 2013 missed all of training camp last year because of injury, and was useful for just the final month of the season.

Before proclaiming his greatness, he should focus on proving he can be dependable and durable. Let’s see how he deals with Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall and Jordy Nelson before comparing himself to the game’s best corners. “I’ve just got to go out and do what I do best,” Milliner said, “go out and make plays.”

The Jets understand they still have plenty of work to do individually and collectively in preparation for the regular season. Even amid their boasts there’s a sense of reality. They are an inconsistent work in progress. A day off on Monday was followed by what one player called “a sloppy” practice Tuesday that was riddled with penalties and push-ups.

“No one is sitting here saying we’ve cornered the market on anything,” Smith said. “We believe we have to put the work in, but if we do, we’ll have a good team.”

Until then Jets, please stop telling us how great you are.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

”Problem is the Jets haven’t won any kind of championship under Ryan, which makes any discussion of self-anointed greatness seem ridiculous, especially from Milliner. The first-round pick in 2013 missed all of training camp last year because of injury, and was useful for just the final month of the season.

Milliner was a little more than useful as the defensive rookie of the month of December.

Unlike you sensitive types, I don't mind the bravado from these guys at all. I liked Gastineau, Keyshawn, Scott, and -let's face it- the franchise was built on Joe Namath's guarantee. I don't understand why the fan base needs to have its panties collectively wadded. The sport is entertainment, let them be entertaining.

As for Milliner, the guy needs to have that type of attitude. And I know that I have really high expectations for the kid are the December he put up last year. He needs to play at that level for the defense to be successful, and playing on an island like Ryan's CBs do, a short memory and a lot of swagger is a prerequisite.

Milliner was a little more than useful as the defensive rookie of the month of December.

Unlike you sensitive types, I don't mind the bravado from these guys at all. I liked Gastineau, Keyshawn, Scott, and -let's face it- the franchise was built on Joe Namath's guarantee. I don't understand why the fan base needs to have its panties collectively wadded. The sport is entertainment, let them be entertaining.

As for Milliner, the guy needs to have that type of attitude. And I know that I have really high expectations for the kid are the December he put up last year. He needs to play at that level for the defense to be successful, and playing on an island like Ryan's CBs do, a short memory and a lot of swagger is a prerequisite.

Preach on brutha!!!!

That 15-yard penalty Gastineau committed in Cleveland to BLOW A FREAKING PLAYOFF GAME is a fond memory. Aslo Bart Scott not showing up in the AFC title game in Pittsburgh after running his mouth. Keyshawn badmouthing Chrebet. All wonderful examples of how cool, important and wonderful swagger is.

Namath backed it up, and really he was simply responding to a question before the Super Bowl. Not like he was bragging in July.None of the rest did back it up.

Milliner is the only one that bothered me.  And only a little because he did clarify that "I'm not going to say another player is better than me," so it's not like he really believes it, that's just how he carries himself.

The only problem is that Milliner's statement is a lot like the Kyle Wilson finger wag.  Milliner still is a pretty bad corner.  Hopefully that changes, but if early training camp is any indication, not yet.  So, not only is he not the best in the league, but he very well could be the biggest liability this team has.

What, exactly, about these Jets is "entertaining"?

As to this wonderous all world month of December-Jets defense gave up 367 yards passing to to McGloin/Pryor exacta in a win, got beat up as the offense allowed them to wear down vs. the Panthers(Newton had an okay game, and can say the offense screwed the pooch by being noncombatants and forcing defense to take the field all day),and did shut down Jason Campbell and Ryan Tannhill, neither of whom figures to be cast in Canton bronze. But don't let me interrupt, keep popping the champagne over December. mustv'e won some trophy for this diamond of a month.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2013.htm

The most entertaining part of the Ryan Era, to date, was watching the Giants win the Super Bowl over the Pats in the same year Rex put out his semi-legible book wherein he proclaimed how much better the Jets were than the Giants. That's legit high comedy right there. Rex should have committed seppuku on the 50.

In a league where everything is stacked against a cornerback actually being able to to play the game... I 100% agree, whatever he needs to say, do or believe to get his job done is fine with me. Bravado, chip on the shoulder, living up to his promise... whatever. It's the NFL. Constant competition (unless you are Mark Sanchez) for you job. Psych  yourself up however you want.

Fans need to stfu and stop reacting to the beat writers troll pieces.

Banning offense!

The high point of Ryan's tenure was beating the Pats in the playoffs. And yet it's clear the Jets treated that like their SUper Bowl, ran their mouths like Bart "Can't Wait!" Scott and got smoked in Pittsburgh the next week.Ryan has learned nothing. I understand perfectly that a good corner has to play with a bit of a chip on his shoulder because that mentality sustains him over a season of ups and downs.A guy who had 3 good games and 13 bad ones really needs to shut the f--- up. This team under Ryan has too often runs it's mouth without winning anything nor even sustaining competence. Objectively that makes Ryan and the Jets look like a box of big-talking but low-achieving tools.

The high point of Ryan's tenure was beating the Pats in the playoffs. And yet it's clear the Jets treated that like their SUper Bowl, ran their mouths like Bart "Can't Wait!" Scott and got smoked in Pittsburgh the next week.Ryan has learned nothing. I understand perfectly that a good corner has to play with a bit of a chip on his shoulder because that mentality sustains him over a season of ups and downs.A guy who had 3 good games and 13 bad ones really needs to shut the f--- up. This team under Ryan has too often runs it's mouth without winning anything nor even sustaining competence. Objectively that makes Ryan and the Jets look like a box of big-talking but low-achieving tools.

:hand:

Milliner is the only one that bothered me.  And only a little because he did clarify that "I'm not going to say another player is better than me," so it's not like he really believes it, that's just how he carries himself.

The only problem is that Milliner's statement is a lot like the Kyle Wilson finger wag.  Milliner still is a pretty bad corner.  Hopefully that changes, but if early training camp is any indication, not yet.  So, not only is he not the best in the league, but he very well could be the biggest liability this team has.

Personally, I think anyone in any walk of life or profession is foolish if they think at such a young age they've learned all they can learn, and that there is nobody amongst their peers that they should aspire to be better than. 

Before talking. Every young player should look at Peyton Manning's pre-game and in-game efforts to learn and improve. This is a guy that IS the best there is, but he doesn't stop to tell himself or anyone else that. Instead the quest for learning and improving has defined every aspect of his career.

For some reason our fanbase actually thinks that people think less of you as a person because of the team you root for...a lot of fans on this site fall deep into this category.  Like the actions of the Jets actually reflect on to you as a person.  I tend to not get upset over things I have zero control over and just enjoy because the entertainment value. 

As far as Dee's comments, he's a corner who's going to be playing on island 90% of the time.  He needs to be an arrogant bastard.  Just like QB's.  Corners, QB's, they're going to make mistakes...its going to happen.  You have to have the confidence to forget and get back on the horse and do it again.

I'm fine with his comments.  The reality is, it has zero impact on anything that relates to Jets Football.

The most entertaining part of the Ryan Era, to date, was watching the Giants win the Super Bowl over the Pats in the same year Rex put out his semi-legible book wherein he proclaimed how much better the Jets were than the Giants. That's legit high comedy right there. Rex should have committed seppuku on the 50.

lol

I love it.

Those 6 point smokings hurt.

It's all about context.

They manhandled us. When you are a team that prides itself on defense, specifically stuffing the run, and the running game then a 6 point loss in which you got trampled by a mediocre RB is an ass-whipping.

Add to that that you are a SuperBowl starved franchise and you couldn't find a way to dig deep and get your offense back on the field to score 6 points and make it into the big game. 

It's all about context.

They manhandled us. When you are a team that prides itself on defense, specifically stuffing the run, and the running game then a 6 point loss in which you got trampled by a mediocre RB is an ass-whipping.

Add to that that you are a SuperBowl starved franchise and you couldn't find a way to dig deep and get your offense back on the field to score 6 points and make it into the big game. 

Meh, they were a Sanchez fumble at the end of the first half and Schotty Jr. going Schotty Snr. at the goalline from winning that game. They sustained a fast start and battled back.  That's why the game doesnt end at the half.  This happened to the great daunted D's of Seattle and San Fran in the past recent years on the big stage too. 

I have said this before many times. Rex's 'confidence' comes off to me like whistling in the dark so you can say you're not afraid. Rex is and always will be a blowhard, who toots his own horn because no one else will. He is NOT A GREAT COACH. In fact, inconsistency has been his only consistent trademark. That and taking gratuitous shots at BB and the Pats. Note to Rex - unless you walk the walk you shouldn't try to talk the talk. Win something for Christ sakes!!! Then the whole world will decide if you are a great coach. Sheesh, this crap never ends.

I really wish Rex would teach his players humility and to accept their place as a second tier after thought franchise.  Bring in a de-motivational expert to teach them how to hang their heads low and hate the fact they are part of the Jets franchise, God knows we do.

-NY Jet fans

This is what Rex does and he's done it almost every year he's been here so it shouldn't be surprising to anybody. It's a double-edged sword. The players respond well to it in that they bond together in an us-against-the-world-type mentality. The national perception just becomes that we're a joke and the Jets become unlikable. If anything, this team suffers psychologically when people think the Jets should be good or should win a game.

You wanna know why? Because the fans who have their panties in a bunch hate reading the comments on PFT, or Yahoo, or ESPN, or wherever and having people talk smack. 

Who cares? Hate us. I don't give a care. It doesn't matter what other people think. 

If the jets wanna talk let them talk and let the haters hate. 

You wanna know why? Because the fans who have their panties in a bunch hate reading the comments on PFT, or Yahoo, or ESPN, or wherever and having people talk smack.

Who cares? Hate us. I don't give a care. It doesn't matter what other people think.

If the jets wanna talk let them talk and let the haters hate.

I hope you're in Lambeau and it's 9 degrees and the score is 56-3 Packers.

Archived