So this is what happens when you have competition...

Great post.  Dont let the haters derail it.

You're right.  Idzik finally has created depth and a true competitive nature in camp.  You're starting to see some of the young players truly step up and be the leaders of the team.  Then you bring a guy like Decker, a true professional and a talented RB with a chip on his shoulder and the culture is starting form.

Still think they're probably another offseason of additions before we can start really challenging the Pats, but they're getting closer and closer.  And if Geno makes a big leap, than we're even closer than I thought.

Love the Idzik, Rex, Marty, Thurman mix at the helm.  Feel like we're finally in great hands and they sky is the limit.

Pumped for the season!

I'm with Batman!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody is hyping the Jets. Nobody. The best compliment I've heard is a possible Wild Card team. Players talking doesn't mean hype. It's just talk that has zero impact on anything Football related.

I was referring to NE.

Last season Mallet was supposedly lighting up camp. When he played in pre season games he sucked.

Yeah, I'm glad Rex doesn't tell Idzik to trade away entire draft classes the way he used to tell Tannenbaum to do it.

Rex owned Tannenbaum.  Just like Mangini owned Tannenbaum.  The rosters reflected the coaches' desires, because Tanny was weak as GM.  Idzik came in and absolutely took over the reins.  Rex gets a say, but Idzik pulls the strings.  Which is why the offense is beginning to look more like an offense, and less like a scrap heap.  To be honest, i think Rex needs Idzik.  He can't be allowed to steer the ship, he just needs to keep the crew in check.  He's a good first mate, because he's respected and appreciated.  Idzik doesn't need admiration.  He needs to provide a direction and a method of achieving it.  There is also a place in this analogy for whales and a compass, maybe a squall or two.  But i haven't figured that out yet.  Oh!  and seals.  I love seals.  The labrador retrievers of the sea.  

Rex owned Tannenbaum.  Just like Mangini owned Tannenbaum.  The rosters reflected the coaches' desires, because Tanny was weak as GM.  Idzik came in and absolutely took over the reins.  Rex gets a say, but Idzik pulls the strings.  Which is why the offense is beginning to look more like an offense, and less like a scrap heap.  To be honest, i think Rex needs Idzik.  He can't be allowed to steer the ship, he just needs to keep the crew in check.  He's a good first mate, because he's respected and appreciated.  Idzik doesn't need admiration.  He needs to provide a direction and a method of achieving it.  There is also a place in this analogy for whales and a compass, maybe a squall or two.  But i haven't figured that out yet.  Oh!  and seals.  I love seals.  The labrador retrievers of the sea.

Tannenbaum's first draft with Rex was three offensive players. Their second draft was a defender in the first, and then three more offensive players. This narrative that Rex drove the drafts is false. What drove those drafts was Tannenbaum's incompetence. He was completely unable to distinguish talent, and consistently overpaid in picks, or overdrafted players other people thought were good. That was the real problem.

I do think Idzik is better. He's certainly more confident standing pat with his picks, and I'm a huge fan of keeping picks or even collecting more - which is the comment I was making. It's hard for the head coach to hold anyone accountable by benching them when there's no one on the bench to turn to. Tannenbaum drafted 21 players in Rex's first four years, Idzik has drafted 19 in his first two. That's a big difference. He identified two weak spots on the team, and rather than overpaying for free agents or trading up to fill the gap, he threw the kitchen sink at both positions. Signing two WR free agents, then drafting three more. Sign a free agent CB, draft two more. Is there any doubt that Tannenbaum would've signed DeSean Jackson (or paid Decker $10M/year), resigned Revis, and then traded away four picks? I have none. Even if you wish to continue to think that Rex was pulling the strings, it was still Tannenbaum's incompetence in negotiating a trade or free agent contract, or identifying talent in the first place that was the real issue.

I agree, I like the Idzik-Rex pairing. I think Idzik is bringing in players Rex can work with. They will probably be in a position where they're forced to cut good players at WR and CB this summer. It's a nice problem to have, and a refreshing change of pace.

He was limited but in full gear.

Sounds about right. Would make no sense to have him totally off the field one day (for concussion precaution reasons) and then the very next day he's getting drilled in the head. Let him do non-contact run-throughs and see if he's displaying any symptoms (confusion, headache, visual, or slow processing) for at least a whole day of practice.

In other words, try to not be the NFL of the past that labeled symptomatic post-concussive players as pussies. Assuming it was even a true concussion in the first place.

Better to err on the side of caution; he's got his whole career, and his whole life, ahead of him.

I think the concussion protocol compares some simple neurological tests to your baseline.  I don't think at first you are even supposed to be running around at first. It can be pretty jarring to a head injury. IIRC, they will test him every day until he returns to baseline and then after he starts activity they will monitor him for a day or two to make sure there are no more symptoms.  This prevents guys from ending up needing 6 ammonia caps to wake up, like Ronnie Lott.

You know what? You guys are right. With no sarcasm here, I've been beating on these Jets too much. I hate the coach and want him gone and it's infected my entire thought process. As a concession, I'm gonna take a break from the ol' JN so I don't squash these feeble attempts at optimism that are springing up from the misguided and contrarian set. I shall return at some point, though. Oh, I shall return.

We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer.

Archived