So this is what happens when you have competition...

You know what? You guys are right. With no sarcasm here, I've been beating on these Jets too much. I hate the coach and want him gone and it's infected my entire thought process. As a concession, I'm gonna take a break from the ol' JN so I don't squash these feeble attempts at optimism that are springing up from the misguided and contrarian set. I shall return at some point, though. Oh, I shall return.

A half-assed T0m is better than no T0m.  But hey, if a week off is what takes to recharge the ol' batteries and bring back the "man" that gave us by all means, rest up big guy.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what? You guys are right. With no sarcasm here, I've been beating on these Jets too much. I hate the coach and want him gone and it's infected my entire thought process. As a concession, I'm gonna take a break from the ol' JN so I don't squash these feeble attempts at optimism that are springing up from the misguided and contrarian set. I shall return at some point, though. Oh, I shall return.

Fair enough...see you in February

Oh no!  You're not getting off that easy!  You get back here!

tumblr_lxynhha3S81rn95k2o1_500.gif

good post. It made me realize that maybe Sanchez never got better  because there was never a viable back-up for him. At first I didn't buy it, since I knew Sanchez was not slouching - but perhaps psychologically, without realizing it, you work harder when you are competing for the position, and Sanchez was never competing with anyone...

good post. It made me realize that maybe Sanchez never got better  because there was never a viable back-up for him. At first I didn't buy it, since I knew Sanchez was not slouching - but perhaps psychologically, without realizing it, you work harder when you are competing for the position, and Sanchez was never competing with anyone...

It's hard to believe he didn't get better since apparently the prerequisite was being self-deprecating and not thinking you're the best. Such seems to be the thought of late.

It's also possible that Sanchez wasn't good because he isn't good. Also note in camp this year he's going up against Philadelphia's 2nd team defense (largely, if not mostly, 7-on-7 at that: no pass rush). Philadelphia's 1st team defense was 32nd vs the pass last year and he's going up against their 2nd unit (think how bad the Jets' unit was in 2013; they were 22nd). Further, the picks he throws in certain drills (e.g. 4-on-3 red zone) don't show up in his stats, and he threw a couple in those drills yesterday alone.

I get the idea, and there is some truth to it for a lot of players all over the field, but being in a real competition doesn't automatically mean he would have won any real competition.

Doesn't matter how hard Sanchez worked, he was never going to become a better QB.  He's competing for the # 2 job in Philadelphia and still looks awful.  Sometimes QB's are just bad.

Another way to look at the impact "competition" is having on player performance is to consider that in prior years we had such little depth that there were no consequences for poor on field performance.

Sanchez would turn the ball over repeatedly killing our chances and it took forever to have him face the consequences.  Same thing thus for for Q.  It's been a consistent stream of "could be's" and excuses but he still got to go out there because there really was no one else.

I think what Idzik is saying is that if you don't compete every day and perform there will now be consequences to your poor performance - sitting and watching.

With that looming over players heads they play better.  And with that looming over players heads the players behind the starters keep pushing to improve and be ready to be next guy up.  

The net result is that everyone plays better.  Again...I love that there are now consequences.  Play bad...sit.  Play good...play.

It's like if you hold professionals accountable for stuff, it incentivizes them to be more careful.

Crazy, yet innovative. That it took Rex only 5 seasons to come to such a revelation is most impressive.

Yeah, I'm glad Rex doesn't tell Idzik to trade away entire draft classes the way he used to tell Tannenbaum to do it.

Yeah, I'm glad Rex doesn't tell Idzik to trade away entire draft classes the way he used to tell Tannenbaum to do it.

Tannenbaum was chasing the dragon every year. Minimal picks + Rex stressing defense in the draft = the current rebuild.

Tannenbaum was chasing the dragon every year. Minimal picks + Rex stressing defense in the draft = the current rebuild.

The new guy stresses defense in the draft every bit as much as the old guy.

Bugg is pushing Tom Shane.

Some say Shane is on the bubble.

It is hard to really say anything good or bad is happening until the first preseason game.What you're left with is looking at last year, and reading the entrails of the latest postive and usually over the top statements of players and the HC. The former despite the supposedly All World December is really awful, the later entirely ridiculous, And wrap your head around the fact that the hard-hitting top pick safety has already sustained a concussion. And while they're calling it minor. appears to be worse than anyone is saying. There is no timetable for Pryor's return. 

I don't get the sarcasm. I was being serious. It only took Rex 5 years to grasp the concept of accountability. Another 5 and who knows? Maybe he goes all Copernicus on us.

Your a hack of a Tom Shane impersonator. Go back to going against the grain and calling people butthurt. I miss defending you from banishment in the mod lounge.

I was crushing Rex long before T0mshane. Don't be so butthurt about it. GFY you are dumb and stupid and idiot and I am morally superior to you, your dog and the extra bacon  you probably ate on your extra bacon sandwich for lunch.

I was crushing Rex long before T0mshane. Don't be so butthurt about it. GFY you are dumb and stupid and idiot and I am morally superior to you, your dog and the extra bacon you probably ate on your extra bacon sandwich for lunch.

HEY!!! Don't you dare talk about bacon like that!!

It is hard to really say anything good or bad is happening until the first preseason game.What you're left with is looking at last year, and reading the entrails of the latest postive and usually over the top statements of players and the HC. The former despite the supposedly All World December is really awful, the later entirely ridiculous, And wrap your head around the fact that the hard-hitting top pick safety has already sustained a concussion. And while they're calling it minor. appears to be worse than anyone is saying. There is no timetable for Pryor's return. 

He's been on the field, practicing, all day today. 

Agreed

Too much hype in TC.

Pryor on the field with a red jersey. Still not cleared for contact.

The NFL has such tight restrictions when it comes to head injuries (read: please don't sue us!), that it's impossible to read anything into this.

The NFL has such tight restrictions when it comes to head injuries (read: please don't sue us!), that it's impossible to read anything into this.

He was cleared for physical activity but not contact. So that's progress. Hopefully he is back in a few days.

Pryar was restricted to team drills only today.

Agreed

Too much hype in TC.

Nobody is hyping the Jets. Nobody. The best compliment I've heard is a possible Wild Card team. Players talking doesn't mean hype. It's just talk that has zero impact on anything Football related.

Archived