Zach Sudfeld

Maxman

I'd love for the guy to stick.  It's been a long time since the Jets have had a legit young RZ target, and if this guy can put it all togehter, he'll fill that role nicely at 6' 7''.

Sounds like he is having a great camp. What do you think his upside is?

Did the Jets finally get one from Belichick that he will regret?

Hope so.  Its kind of weird having this many pass catching options on the team.  Hasnt been this way in a long time.  They're going to have some tough roster decision coming up....lots of pass catchers who are on the bubble. 

I hope you're right, but the one thing that concerns me is his weight. He's 2 inches taller than Amaro and 5 pounds lighter. I like that Amaro is a brutish type that can run over DBs.

Who apparently can't catch or run routes. ESPN radio says Geno got in his ear about not reading his playbook.

I think Sudfeld will be a fan favorite.  He will show some promise, get some catches and then he will get hurt.  The guy was an older senior because he was a medical redshirt.  He spent 6 years at Nevada and hardly played.  I think his only full season was his medical redshirt in 2012 after he broke his leg (2 surgeries, total of 6 in 6 years at Nevada).  He is big but brittle and not very strong - 11 reps on the bench.  

Of all the injuries Sudfeld has had in his Wolf Pack career — the two shoulder surgeries, one knee surgery and a broken wrist — it was the snapped leg in the 2011 season opener that was most the crushing

http://archive.rgj.com/article/20121028/SPORTS06/310280060/Nevada-football-Persistence-pays-off-Zach-Sudfeld-sixth-season

That quote is from an interesting article on him - all you ever wanted to know about Zack Sudfeld.  I'd post it, but it is 6 pages.  He looked so good in the preseason they were calling him "Baby Gronk," but was running wrong routes, dropping balls, muffed an onside kick, etc in the season.  He also had hamstring issues.  The Pats cut him to bring in Austin Collie and probably hoped to stash him on the practice squad. 

I think Sudfeld will be a fan favorite.  He will show some promise, get some catches and then he will get hurt.  The guy was an older senior because he was a medical redshirt.  He spent 6 years at Nevada and hardly played.  I think his only full season was his medical redshirt in 2012 after he broke his leg (2 surgeries, total of 6 in 6 years at Nevada).  He is big but brittle and not very strong - 11 reps on the bench.  

http://archive.rgj.com/article/20121028/SPORTS06/310280060/Nevada-football-Persistence-pays-off-Zach-Sudfeld-sixth-season

That quote is from an interesting article on him - all you ever wanted to know about Zack Sudfeld.  I'd post it, but it is 6 pages.  He looked so good in the preseason they were calling him "Baby Gronk," but was running wrong routes, dropping balls, muffed an onside kick, etc in the season.  He also had hamstring issues.  The Pats cut him to bring in Austin Collie and probably hoped to stash him on the practice squad. 

aaaand Dominator exposes this guy for the Mr. Glass he is. Guess that great hope is out the window.

aaaand Dominator exposes this guy for the Mr. Glass he is. Guess that great hope is out the window.

There is always hope.  The guy played hockey, basketball and tennis growing up and Nevada isn't exactly a top tier program.  He was pretty weak coming out, but had good speed and cone numbers.  I'm sure he will benefit greatly from a year in a real NFL strength program, together with whatever chemical advantage that might imply.  

Guys that were injured in college have excelled in the NFL forever.  From Johnny U missing his senior year to Adrian Peterson missing games for a broken foot, injured ankle and broken collar bone.  This year Dominique Easley from Staten Island went in the first round to the Pats despite having torn *both* ACLs tehFalcon-style over the past three years and not being ready to work out.  Idzik seems to like risking on guys who are value due to injury history (see Colon, Patterson, Ivory, McDougle, etc)

There is always hope.  The guy played hockey, basketball and tennis growing up and Nevada isn't exactly a top tier program.  He was pretty weak coming out, but had good speed and cone numbers.  I'm sure he will benefit greatly from a year in a real NFL strength program, together with whatever chemical advantage that might imply.  

Guys that were injured in college have excelled in the NFL forever.  From Johnny U missing his senior year to Adrian Peterson missing games for a broken foot, injured ankle and broken collar bone.  This year Dominique Easley from Staten Island went in the first round to the Pats despite having torn *both* ACLs tehFalcon-style over the past three years and not being ready to work out.  Idzik seems to like risking on guys who are value due to injury history (see Colon, Patterson, Ivory, McDougle, etc)

The guy is a classic training camp wonder, gets all kind of buzz then you put him in a real game and you'll be wondering if he's actually on the field. Fool's gold.

Ok of course the NE fan comes here and bad mouths him- must be  a good sign

How is telling the truth bad mouthing him? Honestly, he couldn't make a team that was desperate for TE help last year, and you think he's magically going to be great for the Jets? Please, so far on this board alone Jet fans have got at least a least a half dozen scrubs they expect to come out of nowhere and become all pro's. It truly is a magical time for Jets fans, every turd is gold and player that sucked last year is going to be the key to a Super Bowl this year. Every year it's the same Jets season ends in massive suck, then by training camp Jets fans have built them back up to the point where Jets fans really believe they are going to rule the division. It's pure comedy and gets better as the season goes along until I'm in stitches by Christmas.

How is telling the truth bad mouthing him? Honestly, he couldn't make a team that was desperate for TE help last year, and you think he's magically going to be great for the Jets? Please, so far on this board alone Jet fans have got at least a least a half dozen scrubs they expect to come out of nowhere and become all pro's. It truly is a magical time for Jets fans, every turd is gold and player that sucked last year is going to be the key to a Super Bowl this year. Every year it's the same Jets season ends in massive suck, then by training camp Jets fans have built them back up to the point where Jets fans really believe they are going to rule the division. It's pure comedy and gets better as the season goes along until I'm in stitches by Christmas.

I repped you by accident. Didn't want any confusion. Thanks. Love you.

Holy sh*t, I had forgotten how clueless you are.  It's amazing how pretty much absolutely everything you said in this post managed to be wrong.

So let's recap, shall we? 

How is telling the truth bad mouthing him? Honestly, he couldn't make a team that was desperate for TE help last year

That is 100% absolutely wrong.  He certainly did make the Patriots, and was only waived after a month into the regular season.  The Patriots intended to move him down to the PS, but the Jets claimed him off of waivers first.

and you think he's magically going to be great for the Jets?

Absolutely no one has said this.  The hope is that he can be a serviceable #2 in case Amaro isn't ready to contribute much his rookie year.  So it's a matter of potentially seeing some improvement out of an UDFA after a year of experience in the NFL.  What a novel concept, huh?   And it doesn't take magic nor require him to be anywhere close to great.

Please, so far on this board alone Jet fans have got at least a least a half dozen scrubs they expect to come out of nowhere and become all pro's. It truly is a magical time for Jets fans, every turd is gold and player that sucked last year is going to be the key to a Super Bowl this year. Every year it's the same Jets season ends in massive suck, then by training camp Jets fans have built them back up to the point where Jets fans really believe they are going to rule the division.

None of this is true.  Not the nonsense about all pros, the Super Bowl, or ruling the division.  They are all merely fabrications by you.  This board is an endless stream of negativity, and has been all offseason.  Outside of a few extreme folks who get trashed by just about everyone else, even most of the optimism on the board simply centers around reasons for hope in the long-term.  It would seem the real issue here is your own failures to comprehend what is actually written on this board.  So how about you be a dear and either actually try to read, or just head on back to JI.

Actually see this board has been so negative about the Jets prospects - and that is the truth so you are dead wrong

I hope Sudfeld can produce something this year, mostly because I expect next to nothing from Amaro as a rookie.

I thought Amaro would be plug and play, maybe I hoped is a better way to say it. But it is looking like there will be a transition there for him unfortunately.

I hope you're right, but the one thing that concerns me is his weight. He's 2 inches taller than Amaro and 5 pounds lighter. I like that Amaro is a brutish type that can run over DBs.

Yeah but 6'7" is pretty good in the red zone. Unless the Jets oline improves significantly this year I don't see them just lining up and mauling people. A lot of going to fall on Marty but this will be a spread them out kind of offense when it is at its best. Just hope that is good enough.

Wow - that would make a great front page article.  :)

The guy is a classic training camp wonder, gets all kind of buzz then you put him in a real game and you'll be wondering if he's actually on the field. Fool's gold.

Thanks for sharing.

That might be true on other Jets boards. Not this one though. I wish there was more optimism here, I like when people believe. Being a fan is okay.  But there isn't enough of that here, so what you said isn't true.

I hope Sudfeld can produce something this year, mostly because I expect next to nothing from Amaro as a rookie.

Not a full +1, but mostly agree. I don't think Amaro is going to come out and set the league on fire. Someone like Sudfeld can help pass the time. Sudfeld might not be able to become a first division starter because of injuries, but he does seem like a guy who can throw together a good year in 2015 if everything comes together for him. 

He has worked hard and seems to know the playbook and has stayed healthy. So far so good.

Archived