Michael Vick leaves interview when asked about "QB Decision"..

pointman

this is probably more of a corollary benefit than the strategy, but as long as the media is talking about the media, they aren't talking about geno, the rookies or the O-line situation, real actual issues that could be a real distraction if focused on by the "wrtiters"

Vick wants to start. This isnt a bad thing....but this is an open comp.

That isn't why he walked out of the interview. It was because it's the same question he's answered - by Cimini's estimate - probably almost 150 times. Every time he's answered it the same way. I don't like Vick, nor am I happy this heartless sadist is on the team, and even I can see that's the reason. Cimini's the one who just asked it and HE acknowledges that's why:

Vick didn't seem angry. In fact, he acknowledged it was a "fair question" as he walked out of the interview tent, patting the reporter (yours truly) on the rear end.

After roughly 150 competition-related questions since signing with the Jets in March (probably not much of an exaggeration), Vick is tired of repeating himself. With no traces of animosity, he has said repeatedly he expects Smith to be the opening-day starter. Maybe it was one question too many, but it was relevant on this particular day, considering he worked exclusively with the backups.

Whether the question is "fair" or not is neither here nor there. It's a "fair" question, but it was fair over 100x ago when it was answered for the first time and in the 100x he's answered the "fair" question the same way since then.

I understand that controversy is more interesting than no controversy, but asking the same question he already knows the answer to is Cimini (again) trying to create a controversy where none exists.  Vick can spot this a mile away, so he walked away. The ass-pat kind is probably his way of saying, "Yeah...nice try," (or that's how he manifests it to those with only 2 legs, anyway).

Sounds to me like the question was simply lazy.  If I'm correct, Vick did the right thing calling them out.  If you land a press job at that high a level, you should respect it enough to come up with an original question.   This sort of laziness is how a college football player can spend a year claiming a nonexistent person is his inspirational sick girlfriend. 

Yes.

Why?  Seems like someone who was just done answering the same question from an a$$hole who likes to stir the pot.

was it a one or two cheeker?

i have no doubts the jets blew rainbows up his ass during the courting process. i'd be upset also.

Ya think?  Because from Day 1 he's been saying Geno will be the starter.  He's never once indicated otherwise.

was it a one or two cheeker?

i have no doubts the jets blew rainbows up his ass during the courting process. i'd be upset also.

No doubts? I have a lot of doubts they weren't forthcoming about it. It seems to me Vick knew what he was getting into in terms of the team fully giving Geno every benefit of the doubt.

If he's upset about it, it's because he thought Smith would have fallen flat on his face by now already, and that the starting job would have been his by August 15th at the latest.

From all reports, Vick wanted to walk into a (more or less guaranteed) starting job and when those were his demands, the Jets declined (as did every other NFL team). They told him - like they told Decker - that they believed Smith could be their guy and were going to give him every chance to be the starter.

At best he would have been told he would have a "chance to compete" or something of that nature. What that means is simple. There certainly was/is a "chance" Smith would be as bad (or nearly as bad) as he was in 2013. If that happened (or if it happens) then Vick would be competing for the job. Vick seems far less surprised than you that he isn't the starting QB and isn't in a competition for the starting position.

No doubts? I have a lot of doubts they weren't forthcoming about it. It seems to me Vick knew what he was getting into in terms of the team fully giving Geno every benefit of the doubt.

If he's upset about it, it's because he thought Smith would have fallen flat on his face by now already, and that the starting job would have been his by August 15th at the latest.

From all reports, Vick wanted to walk into a (more or less guaranteed) starting job and when those were his demands, the Jets declined (as did every other NFL team). They told him - like they told Decker - that they believed Smith could be their guy and were going to give him every chance to be the starter.

At best he would have been told he would have a "chance to compete" or something of that nature. What that means is simple. There certainly was/is a "chance" Smith would be as bad (or nearly as bad) as he was in 2013. If that happened (or if it happens) then Vick would be competing for the job. Vick seems far less surprised than you that he isn't the starting QB and isn't in a competition for the starting position.

eyeroll, it is a figure of speech. idzik did not sit down vick and say third day or training camp you are getting 0 reps with first team. that isn't a chance to compete, so if they said "chance to compete" that is also an anal rainbow.

Why?  Seems like someone who was just done answering the same question from an a$$hole who likes to stir the pot.

Ya think?  Because from Day 1 he's been saying Geno will be the starter.  He's never once indicated otherwise.

cause I enjoy laughing at the arse hole with stirs the pot.

eyeroll, it is a figure of speech. idzik did not sit down vick and say third day or training camp you are getting 0 reps with first team. that isn't a chance to compete, so if they said "chance to compete" that is also an anal rainbow.

Again, everything Vick has said to the media about the situation is that Geno is the starter.  He's been that way since Day 1.  I think the expectations were set pretty clearly.

i think they told him there would be a competition. his frustration was evident about it not being an "open competition" a few weeks ago--i think they committed to "competition" without defining it as open or closed. vick is being a professional about it though; this is his last shot to get one more contract before it's over so he will play the good guy and wait. and i think his patience will be rewarded and he will be starting somewhere next year believe it or not.

Again, everything Vick has said to the media about the situation is that Geno is the starter.  He's been that way since Day 1.  I think the expectations were set pretty clearly.

again, i believe his frustration was evident by his comments a few weeks ago about the competition not being "open." the good news is vick has worked very hard to rehab his image so that is likely the most vocal he will be about it, even if he believes deep down he got a screw job.

again, i believe his frustration was evident by his comments a few weeks ago about the competition not being "open." the good news is vick has worked very hard to rehab his image so that is likely the most vocal he will be about it, even if he believes deep down he got a screw job.

Maybe he's frustrated Geno is out playing him but I dont think the Jets blew rainbows up his ass during the courting period, like you suggested.  His very first interview with the media he said this is Geno's team.  Very first.  I dont think they ever told him this was a true, may the best man win competition.  If they did, he'd have addressed the situation much differently than basically coinciding to Geno from go street.

Maybe he's frustrated Geno is out playing him but I dont think the Jets blew rainbows up his ass during the courting period, like you suggested.  His very first interview with the media he said this is Geno's team.  Very first.  I dont think they ever told him this was a true, may the best man win competition.  If they did, he'd have addressed the situation much differently than basically coinciding to Geno from go street.

it is possible. it is also possible that he wasn't frustrated about it being a "closed" competition (why even mention open or closed or a competition at all if he really believed it was geno's team?) and was just speaking objectively about it. i tend to think he was venting in a mild way because at least he feels that the situation is different than the pitch. but who knows.

Sounds to me like the question was simply lazy.  If I'm correct, Vick did the right thing calling them out.  If you land a press job at that high a level, you should respect it enough to come up with an original question.   This sort of laziness is how a college football player can spend a year claiming a nonexistent person is his inspirational sick girlfriend. 

:rl:

Media is lazy.  Press conferences are boring because the media keeps asking the same crap every day.

Vick just came to a realization is all

tumblr_mhbsvp2zJH1qdkrv9o1_500.gif

Both of you are wrong.  His "chance" to compete is/was IF Smith was a failure. Absent that there is no competition. Neither of you believed this, so you are both surprised. Vick isn't. He's always said Geno's the starter and there isn't a competition for the starting job.

Telling Vick he would have a chance to compete is not the same as telling him he will compete. A chance that there will be a competition, not a guarantee that there will be a competition. Vick knew this from day one, and he's been saying as much since day one (despite the denials of nonbelievers).

He likely figured Smith was the worst QB in the league so he would have the job in no time at all. This is his only "realization" since then.

He still has the chance to compete right now, IF Smith regresses into a hot mess like we saw for most of 2013. Until then, he will not be truly competing for the job. Same as the day he was signed.

I still fail to understand how this is surprising to anyone.

:happy0069: 

Both of you are wrong.  His "chance" to compete is/was IF Smith was a failure. Absent that there is no competition. Neither of you believed this, so you are both surprised. Vick isn't. He's always said Geno's the starter and there isn't a competition for the starting job.

Telling Vick he would have a chance to compete is not the same as telling him he will compete. A chance that there will be a competition, not a guarantee that there will be a competition. Vick knew this from day one, and he's been saying as much since day one (despite the denials of nonbelievers).

He likely figured Smith was the worst QB in the league so he would have the job in no time at all. This is his only "realization" since then.

He still has the chance to compete right now, IF Smith regresses into a hot mess like we saw for most of 2013. Until then, he will not be truly competing for the job. Same as the day he was signed.

I still fail to understand how this is surprising to anyone.

well not even rex and vick agree and presumably both were in the room when it was discussed. so i still fail to understand how you can fail to understand how people on a messageboard have a difference of opinion on the same subject. :happy0069:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/rex-ryan-sees-open-qb-competition-while-michael-vick-sees-it-closed-1.8240048

well not even rex and vick agree and presumably both were in the room when it was discussed. so i still fail to understand how you can fail to understand how people on a messageboard have a difference of opinion on the same subject. :happy0069:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/rex-ryan-sees-open-qb-competition-while-michael-vick-sees-it-closed-1.8240048

You think Ryan really believes there is a competition? He's saying so because he wants to keep the presumption of pressure on Smith and so it can be said there was competition at any position even QB.

Or is everything said to the media now gospel? If I recall, he's already slipped up and said it's Smith's job once (months ago) and then corrected himself when he realized - or when it was pointed out - what he was saying or inferring.

There is no competition and I'm quite sure Ryan is aware of this.

I can understand a difference of opinion. But you're claiming Vick is suddenly surprised by something he's been saying himself from day one.

You think Ryan really believes there is a competition? He's saying so because he wants to keep the presumption of pressure on Smith and so it can be said there was competition at any position even QB.

Or is everything said to the media now gospel? If I recall, he's already slipped up and said it's Smith's job once (months ago) and then corrected himself when he realized - or when it was pointed out - what he was saying or inferring.

There is no competition and I'm quite sure Ryan is aware of this.

gotcha so evidence that supports your view is inviolate, but evidence that does not is "rex shooting his mouth off" or the media being ridiculous. i would love to know the sources of your opinions if you do not give any credeance to what the team says or how the media writes it.

mole.jpg

The bold is the exact point I was going to make as well.  Let's not forget that when Vick initially came to the Jets, he did not sign at that time, and the prevailing opinion seemed to be that Geno, and the Jets' plans for him, was the reason why.  That only seemed to change after he went around the league and found no better opportunities available for him, but even from the beginning he acknowledged that it was mostly Geno's job to lose.  I can certainly understand that not being what he was ideally looking for, and even it not being what some fans were hoping for, but that's different than him being told something else entirely by the Jets.

gotcha so evidence that supports your view is inviolate, but evidence that does not is "rex shooting his mouth off" or the media being ridiculous. i would love to know the sources of your opinions if you do not give any credeance to what the team says or how the media writes it.

mole.jpg

Which people in the media are you referring to, who have given any credence to this competition being more than a sham? It seems if anything they've been having fun with it at the expense of Vick, Rex, Idzik, etc.

C'mon, no one seriously thinks Vick had any chance of being the QB outside of a Geno Smith meltdown (which may yet come in the preseason or during the season). He was here to act as an insurance policy and to "push" Geno in case any of his problems in year 2 were borne from a lack of motivation. Christ, even Mornhinweg said on the day the Jets signed him that he was here to play a "role" to "push Geno Smith to be the best he can be." Vick would only see the field "if called upon," meaning if Smith is injured or if Smith's playing like hot garbage.  And even if you are one of the few who still believe he was going to enter a true 50/50 competition, saying you had "no doubts" is overboard anyway given Vick's own interview answers.

...in my opinion. ;)

Archived