The ultimate insiders’ view of some memorable Jets characters

F.Chowds

CORTLAND – Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson have seen a lot in their time together with the Jets. Since both player were drafted in 2006, the team has been through some wild times. They sat down with The Post this week and reflected on some of the memorable characters:

From Mangold

On Chad Pennington: “We were playing Miami in Miami in ’06 and we’re in the huddle and bullets are flying, it’s crazy and Pete Kendall is sitting there and he was chirping about something, the play clock or something and he’s yelling at Chad. Chad yells, ‘Pete, this isn’t my first rodeo. I’ve got this.’ I’m sitting there and this is the NFL and I’m sitting in this huddle thinking, ‘This really goes on. It’s crazy.’ Chad was confident in what he could do. He knew his stuff in and out. He was one of the smartest people I’ve known.”

On Eric Mangini: “He was one of the smartest coaches I’ve been around. He knew his defense in and out. It was crazy to watch him. You know Rex knows his defense in and out but for some reason Mangini … it’s like Rex is street smart where Mangini is book smart. Coming from Ohio State to that it was like, ‘Wow, he really knows what he’s talking about.’ ”

On Mark Sanchez: “My first experience with a rookie quarterback. It was interesting to have to deal with not only O-line stuff, but also what was going on behind us. We played together four years. We came real close. He’s one of those guys you want to be around. He’s got that personality. He remembers everything. He’ll call my wife on her birthday and things like that. That’s the kind of guy he is. He’s one of those guys you want to be around.”

On Tim Tebow: “It was interesting to have him come here and the way that season unfolded. You just wish him all the best.”

From Ferguson

On Brett Favre: “His presence affected everybody in the building. He had done so much in this league. We all saw him as that Hall of Fame guy. The way he played, how he interacted, we were a little bit in awe. We had our run with Favre. That was a fun time. Some players who come in this locker room just really change how things are done. I think he was one of them.”

On Rex Ryan: “Rex is one of the few coaches that I’ve seen that isn’t scared to say anything to anyone at any time. I think he was really one of the motivations why we thought, ‘You know what? We can win a Super Bowl.’ Because he said we could. His passion and his belief in us as a team it was genuine. We felt it. That was something we hadn’t felt in a while where we had somebody that was so passionate that it was almost as if he was contagious and everybody caught it.”

On Darrelle Revis: “Revis Island. He is a very impressive player. He was one guy that everyone knew that when he is on the field you have to watch out for. There’s always guys on the field that people say if we let this guy get loose or we let this guy do something, he’s going to wreck the game for us. Revis was our player where people had to know where he was. People wouldn’t throw to his side. People feared what he could do because every week he showed it. It was great to have him on our team. He was a quiet guy. He was a polished player who worked on his craft and really inspired players to up their game.”

On Geno Smith: “He came in here, and the one thing I was very impressed with him is he took his opportunity and made the most of it. He picked up the system very well. A lot of people put pressure on the QB position because they touch everything we do. I feel like, as a younger player, he did his best. He didn’t let our team down. I feel like he had a great attitude and led by his spirit. I never really saw him down even in the game when Simms came in or they tried to make changes. He didn’t change as a person. He was able to weather the storm. I feel that given the opportunity he will continue to improve and become a very good quarterback. He’s a good quarterback now. I think he’ll be even better.“

the post article was a good read 

Brick hasn't missed a single snap since he was drafted in 2006.  That's an amazing feat for an NFL player.  

meanwhile Mangold missed 2 games over that span (and the Jets lost them both)

both of these players are somewhat underrated by fans. 

On Eric Mangini: “He was one of the smartest coaches I’ve been around. He knew his defense in and out. It was crazy to watch him. You know Rex knows his defense in and out but for some reason Mangini … it’s like Rex is street smart where Mangini is book smart. Coming from Ohio State to that it was like, ‘Wow, he really knows what he’s talking about.’ ”

This pretty much tells you all you need to know about why Mangini was awful. He did have books smarts, because all he could do to get to where he did was study and "speak the part", but he had NO applicable knowledge. It's why he couldn't just install his defense when he got here, he had to go on a 3-year rebuild trying to find "guys that fit".

Meanwhile, Rex lives and breathes defense. Taught by experience, not by books, and he builds a defense to get the best out of the guys he does have.

Night and day.  

On Mark Sanchez: “My first experience with a rookie quarterback. It was interesting to have to deal with not only O-line stuff, but also what was going on behind us. We played together four years. We came real close. He’s one of those guys you want to be around. He’s got that personality. He remembers everything. He’ll call my wife on her birthday and things like that. That’s the kind of guy he is. He’s one of those guys you want to be around.”

LOL

No way would I be happy about Sanchez calling my wife on her birthday, or any other day. He's one of those dude's your wife just assumes is gay, right up until when he's crawling up her skirt.

This pretty much tells you all you need to know about why Mangini was awful. He did have books smarts, because all he could do to get to where he did was study and "speak the part", but he had NO applicable knowledge. It's why he couldn't just install his defense when he got here, he had to go on a 3-year rebuild trying to find "guys that fit".

Meanwhile, Rex lives and breathes defense. Taught by experience, not by books, and he builds a defense to get the best out of the guys he does have.

Night and day.  

Mangini couldn't adjust for anything.

Mangini couldn't adjust for anything.

It wasn't in the books. The ability to adjust well to anything comes from experience. Mangini was a product of studying football. Rex is a product of experiencing it.

Night and day.  

Also sounds like he was a real Debbie Downer for the whole lot of them. The team had Favre the year before, and Brick says what an unbelievable, unique lift it was for the team. And yet the first time he & the team felt they could win was after he & Mangini were gone the following year, because Ryan convinced them a SB was realistic despite having the sh*ttiest QB in the NFL snatching defeat from the arms of victory. Came damn close, too. F*cking shame. Jets fans know how rare those opportunities are.

Brett Favre here, doesn't get here until August, everyone's in awe, and Mangini has him running laps for any mishaps in practice. The f*ck is that going to do, teach a HOF QB how to play football? The guy who was already the best QB in the NFL for a couple of years running when Mangini was working as an intern in Cleveland's PR office. (Did a bang-up job, too. Modell moved the whole freaking team out of town). Go take a lap, Brett. No worries, I'll name my son's middle name after you. Next year I'm going back to Cleveland to paint over Jim Brown's face and snub Shaun Rogers in the hallway.

This what you mean about book smarts vs experience? lol

Also sounds like he was a real Debbie Downer for the whole lot of them. The team had Favre the year before, and Brick says what an unbelievable, unique lift it was for the team. And yet the first time he & the team felt they could win was after he & Mangini were gone the following year, because Ryan convinced them a SB was realistic despite having the sh*ttiest QB in the NFL snatching defeat from the arms of victory. Came damn close, too. F*cking shame. Jets fans know how rare those opportunities are.

Brett Favre here, doesn't get here until August, everyone's in awe, and Mangini has him running laps for any mishaps in practice. The f*ck is that going to do, teach a HOF QB how to play football? The guy who was already the best QB in the NFL for a couple of years running when Mangini was working as an intern in Cleveland's PR office. (Did a bang-up job, too. Modell moved the whole freaking team out of town). Go take a lap, Brett. No worries, I'll name my son's middle name after you. Next year I'm going back to Cleveland to paint over Jim Brown's face and snub Shaun Rogers in the hallway.

Exactly what I mean, yes. LOL

Also to the bold, I agree. THAT is why I'm so hard-headed about shaming the fans who celebrate the "can't wait" failure. Those opportunities are rare, and we handed that one away on a silver platter.

I think that was the big problem.  Mangini did not have the credibility to force established guys to buy his Pop Warner sh*t.  You can pull that sh*t on Drew Coleman and Matt Kassell, but it isn't going to fly with real beasts.  I think that when they started adding some established guys like Favre, Faneca and Jenkins I felt Mangini was losing the team.  Rex may be full of sh*t, but I think everybody kind of knows it.  

As per "the book" Mangini made Revis consider retirement. No doubt he knows football in and out. People not so much.You can not like Ryan's free for all player's coach act and still understand Mangini being on top of everyone 24/7 is simply too goddamn much. Everyone wants to be challenged, but nobody wants to be miserable. Mangini was more misery than challenge.

Mangini's problem was that he tried so hard to be like BB. His handling of the media was clumsy and they didn't respect him for that. Also, he was not a coach that could fix a broken offense. I don't think the Jets have EVER had a coach that could, even supposed 'guru's' like Bruce Coslet and Joe Walton.

Exactly what I mean, yes. LOL

Also to the bold, I agree. THAT is why I'm so hard-headed about shaming the fans who celebrate the "can't wait" failure. Those opportunities are rare, and we handed that one away on a silver platter.

Sanchez handed that one away. At the point it was 24-0, he had completed 3 passes in 12 dropbacks. A 14-yarder on the first drive, a 3-yarder on 3rd & 14 on that same drive (we punted), and a 7-yarder on 2nd & 19 (we punted). The rest was 8 incomplete passes and a fumble that put 7 points on the board for Pittsburgh.

The D sucked ass to start the game, but it wasn't an insurmountable situation if the offense put up just 7-10 points of its own instead of zero for itself and 7 for the opposition. Hell, even if they'd only put up 3 points and Sanchez didn't surrender his fumble-6 it's still a 2-score game entering the 2nd half.

It's not a happy memory. If Sanchez caught fire that game instead of manifesting one of his cases of garbagism, we had a really good shot.  Any QB, Sanchez included, is capable of getting hot & playing better than he is in a championship game. Look at Flacco (twice in a row). Truth is he played well enough to get them to the SB the year before as well, if Evans holds onto that gamewinning TD pass.

Point is players and coaches on both sides of the ball should share blame, as well as the head coach. I just blame one side more because IMO a QB should be an asset. Plus in the end the offense needed a net of 16 points for the whole game for us to win; there have been far greater defensive collapses. At some point the offense has to put points on the board and no one's winning a conference championship game when the QB has the stat line I outlined above and doesn't offset it with a lights-out 3 TD comeback performance in the 2nd half.

F*cking shame.

the post article was a good read 

Brick hasn't missed a single snap since he was drafted in 2006.  That's an amazing feat for an NFL player.  

meanwhile Mangold missed 2 games over that span (and the Jets lost them both)

both of these players are somewhat underrated by fans. 

I'm intrigued by his take on Revis. Everything for the most part field related. I'm sure a guy like Brick mustn't have liked the drama surrounding Revis in the locker room. Brick and Mangold TEAM guys.... Revis a ME guy.

Sanchez handed that one away. At the point it was 24-0, he had completed 3 passes in 12 dropbacks. A 14-yarder on the first drive, a 3-yarder on 3rd & 14 on that same drive (we punted), and a 7-yarder on 2nd & 19 (we punted). The rest was 8 incomplete passes and a fumble that put 7 points on the board for Pittsburgh.

The D sucked ass to start the game, but it wasn't an insurmountable situation if the offense put up just 7-10 points of its own instead of zero for itself and 7 for the opposition. Hell, even if they'd only put up 3 points and Sanchez didn't surrender his fumble-6 it's still a 2-score game entering the 2nd half.

It's not a happy memory. If Sanchez caught fire that game instead of manifesting one of his cases of garbagism, we had a really good shot.  Any QB, Sanchez included, is capable of getting hot & playing better than he is in a championship game. Look at Flacco (twice in a row). Truth is he played well enough to get them to the SB the year before as well, if Evans holds onto that gamewinning TD pass.

Point is players and coaches on both sides of the ball should share blame, as well as the head coach. I just blame one side more because IMO a QB should be an asset. Plus in the end the offense needed a net of 16 points for the whole game for us to win; there have been far greater defensive collapses. At some point the offense has to put points on the board and no one's winning a conference championship game when the QB has the stat line I outlined above and doesn't offset it with a lights-out 3 TD comeback performance in the 2nd half.

F*cking shame.

That goalline sequence by Schottenheimer...oy.

Archived