•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

receivers who actually should make the team....

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Jetknowledge

Jetknowledge

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:41 AM

1. Decker of course
2. Kerley obviously
3. Jalen Saunders
4. Stephen hill
5. Greg Salas
6. David Nelson

Not in starter order, but i believe that's the best 3 first.

#2 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,066 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

I say we run with two QBs and add Ford to that list.

Boyd is practice squad eligible, and I feel confident he won't be poached by another team.

#3 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 8,551 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

I am not sure how and why Saunders makes it and that too ranked #3. I did read some very positive tweets about Saunders at the beginning of the camp when they were training without pads. But after that didn't hear much. Maybe i missed something.

The  draft picks at WR have been below par in training camp. At this point Enunwa is heading towards PS if not cut. Evans is a big IF here. He hasn't played to deserve a place on the final squad but they have to keep him  because and only because he is a fourth round pick.  All he has displayed are below par hands like he did in college and now he is injured. Maybe Idzik figures a way to keep him without putting him on the final roster. Saunders has not made a lot of noise in the camp but might make the team as a pure Punt returner.

End of the day the JETS do have good bottom end depth at the WR position.  They will have to release one or two of either Gates or Salas or Ford all of whom have had a good training camp and its going to be a good pickup for some team out there for bottom end depth at the WR position.

At this point you have to wonder if the JETS have 3 QBs on the final roster. There is a solid backup in form of Vick and Boyd can be put on the PS. So remains to be seen if they carry Simms. I doubt it.

I think the JETS go with 7 WR's and just 2 QBs. The list will be:

Decker
Kerley
Stephen Hill
David Nelson

Salas

Saunders

Evans.

Gates and Ford will not make the team.

#4 kelticwizard

kelticwizard

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 3,451 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Connecticut

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

All this is what preseason games are for, right?  But I'll say that Gates makes the team.  He showed signs the last few games that he was coming around, he caught a long pass in practice, and I think with Hill we will have two burners who we can use on some formations.  Geno seems to throw a good long ball.  Just a wild guess, but I think that's how it will play out.

Edited by kelticwizard, 03 August 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#5 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,845 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

It is awfully early to go making decisions on raw guys like Evans and Enunwa.  I like Gates, but think he is less than 50-50 to make the team.  Some of these guys WILL get hurt before the end of camp.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#6 Jetknowledge

Jetknowledge

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

I am not sure how and why Saunders makes it and that too ranked #3. I did read some very positive tweets about Saunders at the beginning of the camp when they were training without pads. But after that didn't hear much. Maybe i missed something.

The draft picks at WR have been below par in training camp. At this point Enunwa is heading towards PS if not cut. Evans is a big IF here. He hasn't played to deserve a place on the final squad but they have to keep him because and only because he is a fourth round pick. All he has displayed are below par hands like he did in college and now he is injured. Maybe Idzik figures a way to keep him without putting him on the final roster. Saunders has not made a lot of noise in the camp but might make the team as a pure Punt returner.

End of the day the JETS do have good bottom end depth at the WR position. They will have to release one or two of either Gates or Salas or Ford all of whom have had a good training camp and its going to be a good pickup for some team out there for bottom end depth at the WR position.

At this point you have to wonder if the JETS have 3 QBs on the final roster. There is a solid backup in form of Vick and Boyd can be put on the PS. So remains to be seen if they carry Simms. I doubt it.

I think the JETS go with 7 WR's and just 2 QBs. The list will be:

Decker
Kerley
Stephen Hill
David Nelson
Salas
Saunders
Evans.

Gates and Ford will not make the team.

I think we only take 6 receivers on the roster, maybe 1 or 2 on ps.

And next to hill Saunders in my opinion is the most talented receiver on the team. And he is having a good camp but he is still a rookie, learning the league, playbook, and position.

He will be better with reps but for now he's explosive, fast, quick, brave, and tough.

Could easily be our best slot option by next season.

And if hill turns it around it would slide Saunders to our 4th best.

But he hasn't yet.

#7 derp

derp

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

Guys are definitely going to get hurt before the end of camp. Wouldn't be surprised to see Idzik try to sneak a couple of younger guys onto IR so they can stick around for a redshirt year of sorts but not eat up a roster spot. Also would be nice if they can sneak somebody onto the practice squad.

#8 johnnysd

johnnysd

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

We could be looking at a similar situation to what we had with Woodhead and McKnight back in 2010. Salas could clearly outplay Evans and still get caught because teams very rarely give up on 4th rounders in preseason. Terry Bradway stated yesterday that in cuts you have to take into account ceiling as well as current performance. Not sure I 100% agree with it, but don't be shocked if we make the same situation this time as we did with McKnight.

#9 sourceworx

sourceworx

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  • LocationPatchogue, NY

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

Guys are definitely going to get hurt before the end of camp. Wouldn't be surprised to see Idzik try to sneak a couple of younger guys onto IR so they can stick around for a redshirt year of sorts but not eat up a roster spot. Also would be nice if they can sneak somebody onto the practice squad.

This.

They aren't going to simply cut Evans, and adding him to the practice squad is a risk. With Hill, Nelson, Ford and Salas reportedly looking good, don't be surprised if Shaq gets "injured," and is placed on IR.

I think this will be our WR corps:

Decker
Hill
Kerley
Nelson
Ford
Saunders

I think there's a chance they could even keep a seventh receiver, which in my opinion would be Salas. That gives us a solid combination of size and speed going into the season.

#10 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 14,891 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

This.

They aren't going to simply cut Evans, and adding him to the practice squad is a risk. With Hill, Nelson, Ford and Salas reportedly looking good, don't be surprised if Shaq gets "injured," and is placed on IR.

Decker
Hill
Kerley
Nelson
Ford
Saunders

I think there's a chance they could even keep a seventh receiver, which in my opinion would be Salas. That gives us a solid combination of size and speed going into the season.

Wonder if it comes down to Salas vs. Hill.
Objective-Glendale, Arizona

Super Bowl 49-February, 2015

#11 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

1. Decker of course
2. Kerley obviously
3. Jalen Saunders
4. Stephen hill
5. Jacoby Ford
6. David Nelson

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

#12 sourceworx

sourceworx

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  • LocationPatchogue, NY

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

Doubt that. More like Salas and Ford. I could even see Nelson being a surprise cut.

#13 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 8,551 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

No.

#14 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 22,605 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

Doubtful Shaq Evans gets cut. He wasn't here until training camp...and we've had what like 10 practices? He's a 4th rounder not a 7th.

Edited by Matt39, 03 August 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#15 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 8,551 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

We could be looking at a similar situation to what we had with Woodhead and McKnight back in 2010. Salas could clearly outplay Evans and still get caught because teams very rarely give up on 4th rounders in preseason. Terry Bradway stated yesterday that in cuts you have to take into account ceiling as well as current performance. Not sure I 100% agree with it, but don't be shocked if we make the same situation this time as we did with McKnight.

Thats a nice way to prepare the fan base for letting go some training camp performers like Salas, Ford or even Gates while retaining non performers like  Evans and so on.

Sorry Evans was based on his performance so far has done nothing to remain on the team. Also when he was healthy he had issues with drops. He does not have the best hands and that was obvious in college.

#16 Larz

Larz

High priest of Syrinx

• Members
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

saunders will make it, shaq and enunwa fight it out for the PS

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

#17 Obrien2Toon

Obrien2Toon

Harbaugh or Bevell please!!!

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Decker
Hill
Kerley
Nelson
Saunders
Evans

#18 sirlancemehlot

sirlancemehlot

perpetual rookie

• Members
  • 4,267 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:08 PM

Decker 

Kerley

Hill

Nelson

Gates

Ford

Saunders to PS (because Ford is a better option at returning, is young, has experience, and is not a Smurf)

Shaq goes to PS...maybe

Enunwa goes to PS unless Shaq does...then  bye-bye

Salas plays dark horse and either folds or bets out Nelson, or Gates

So far seems  like Gates is having the best camp, followed by Salas, then Decker, Hill and kerley.  But keep in mind Gates and Salas are rarely going against Defensive starters.  Decker is doing OK but not much else...still he's a lock.  Kerley same...lock.  Nelson looked good last season...been real quiet though recently.  Preseason will answer that question.  Hill is flashing, but not consistent...he stays because of his size/speed and the fact that he's a youngster despite two pro seasons.  Ford does double-duty.  He's going to beat out Saunders in the preseason.  He's just better suited for the pro game.  Salas made it last year, and by all accounts he's gotten better and more consistent.  He could push for a roster spot.  He also has playing time with Geno and Vick in the past.  Shaq is not an option.  He's done nothing to help his cause, and plenty to hurt it.  He was a huge reach and a bad pick.  Cut bait.  Period.  Enunwa may be a PS candidate along with Saunders, if he ever gets off the bike.  That's how i see it anyway.  

#19 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,845 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

This.

Decker
Hill
Kerley
Nelson
Ford
Saunders

I see almost no way they will keep 7 WRs and only one draft pick. I probably like Gates, Nelson and Salas as much as anybody, but they are not cutting ties with Evans AND Enunwa unless one is hurt or they are total squids. It's been a week.  Give them a chance.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#20 CotcheryifyouCan

CotcheryifyouCan

J-E-T-S

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:38 PM

decker

kerley

hill

nelson

salas

ford

saunders

#21 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,139 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

like the idea of only carrying 2 QBs. If they get to #3 it's good night Irene.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#22 derp

derp

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

This.

Decker
Hill
Kerley
Nelson
Ford
Saunders

And Shaq Evans has a "severe" shoulder injury that could be bad enough to get him placed on IR. Have that go down, Enunwa on the practice squad, and things all of a sudden become pretty cut and dry.

#23 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 8,551 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

Yup that solves the Evans dilemma. So now the list is:

Decker
Kerley
Stephen Hill
David Nelson

Salas

Saunders

Evans. Ford.

#24 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

Evans has major shoulder injury. Rex says could be headed to IR.

#25 stoicsentry

stoicsentry

Not Really Stoic

• Writers \ Bloggers
  • 8,869 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

Those wide receiver draft picks look terrible right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users