receivers who actually should make the team....

Jetknowledge

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure how and why Saunders makes it and that too ranked #3. I did read some very positive tweets about Saunders at the beginning of the camp when they were training without pads. But after that didn't hear much. Maybe i missed something.

The  draft picks at WR have been below par in training camp. At this point Enunwa is heading towards PS if not cut. Evans is a big IF here. He hasn't played to deserve a place on the final squad but they have to keep him  because and only because he is a fourth round pick.  All he has displayed are below par hands like he did in college and now he is injured. Maybe Idzik figures a way to keep him without putting him on the final roster. Saunders has not made a lot of noise in the camp but might make the team as a pure Punt returner.

End of the day the JETS do have good bottom end depth at the WR position.  They will have to release one or two of either Gates or Salas or Ford all of whom have had a good training camp and its going to be a good pickup for some team out there for bottom end depth at the WR position.

At this point you have to wonder if the JETS have 3 QBs on the final roster. There is a solid backup in form of Vick and Boyd can be put on the PS. So remains to be seen if they carry Simms. I doubt it.

I think the JETS go with 7 WR's and just 2 QBs. The list will be:

Decker
Kerley
Stephen Hill
David Nelson

Salas

Saunders

Evans.

Gates and Ford will not make the team.

All this is what preseason games are for, right?  But I'll say that Gates makes the team.  He showed signs the last few games that he was coming around, he caught a long pass in practice, and I think with Hill we will have two burners who we can use on some formations.  Geno seems to throw a good long ball.  Just a wild guess, but I think that's how it will play out.

I am not sure how and why Saunders makes it and that too ranked #3. I did read some very positive tweets about Saunders at the beginning of the camp when they were training without pads. But after that didn't hear much. Maybe i missed something.

The draft picks at WR have been below par in training camp. At this point Enunwa is heading towards PS if not cut. Evans is a big IF here. He hasn't played to deserve a place on the final squad but they have to keep him because and only because he is a fourth round pick. All he has displayed are below par hands like he did in college and now he is injured. Maybe Idzik figures a way to keep him without putting him on the final roster. Saunders has not made a lot of noise in the camp but might make the team as a pure Punt returner.

End of the day the JETS do have good bottom end depth at the WR position. They will have to release one or two of either Gates or Salas or Ford all of whom have had a good training camp and its going to be a good pickup for some team out there for bottom end depth at the WR position.

At this point you have to wonder if the JETS have 3 QBs on the final roster. There is a solid backup in form of Vick and Boyd can be put on the PS. So remains to be seen if they carry Simms. I doubt it.

I think the JETS go with 7 WR's and just 2 QBs. The list will be:

Decker

Kerley

Stephen Hill

David Nelson

Salas

Saunders

Evans.

Gates and Ford will not make the team.

I think we only take 6 receivers on the roster, maybe 1 or 2 on ps.

And next to hill Saunders in my opinion is the most talented receiver on the team. And he is having a good camp but he is still a rookie, learning the league, playbook, and position.

He will be better with reps but for now he's explosive, fast, quick, brave, and tough.

Could easily be our best slot option by next season.

And if hill turns it around it would slide Saunders to our 4th best.

But he hasn't yet.

Guys are definitely going to get hurt before the end of camp. Wouldn't be surprised to see Idzik try to sneak a couple of younger guys onto IR so they can stick around for a redshirt year of sorts but not eat up a roster spot. Also would be nice if they can sneak somebody onto the practice squad.

We could be looking at a similar situation to what we had with Woodhead and McKnight back in 2010. Salas could clearly outplay Evans and still get caught because teams very rarely give up on 4th rounders in preseason. Terry Bradway stated yesterday that in cuts you have to take into account ceiling as well as current performance. Not sure I 100% agree with it, but don't be shocked if we make the same situation this time as we did with McKnight.

Guys are definitely going to get hurt before the end of camp. Wouldn't be surprised to see Idzik try to sneak a couple of younger guys onto IR so they can stick around for a redshirt year of sorts but not eat up a roster spot. Also would be nice if they can sneak somebody onto the practice squad.

This.

They aren't going to simply cut Evans, and adding him to the practice squad is a risk. With Hill, Nelson, Ford and Salas reportedly looking good, don't be surprised if Shaq gets "injured," and is placed on IR.

I think this will be our WR corps:

Decker

Hill

Kerley

Nelson

Ford

Saunders

I think there's a chance they could even keep a seventh receiver, which in my opinion would be Salas. That gives us a solid combination of size and speed going into the season.

This.

They aren't going to simply cut Evans, and adding him to the practice squad is a risk. With Hill, Nelson, Ford and Salas reportedly looking good, don't be surprised if Shaq gets "injured," and is placed on IR.

Decker

Hill

Kerley

Nelson

Ford

Saunders

I think there's a chance they could even keep a seventh receiver, which in my opinion would be Salas. That gives us a solid combination of size and speed going into the season.

Wonder if it comes down to Salas vs. Hill.

We could be looking at a similar situation to what we had with Woodhead and McKnight back in 2010. Salas could clearly outplay Evans and still get caught because teams very rarely give up on 4th rounders in preseason. Terry Bradway stated yesterday that in cuts you have to take into account ceiling as well as current performance. Not sure I 100% agree with it, but don't be shocked if we make the same situation this time as we did with McKnight.

Thats a nice way to prepare the fan base for letting go some training camp performers like Salas, Ford or even Gates while retaining non performers like  Evans and so on.

Sorry Evans was based on his performance so far has done nothing to remain on the team. Also when he was healthy he had issues with drops. He does not have the best hands and that was obvious in college.

Decker 

Kerley

Hill

Nelson

Gates

Ford

Saunders to PS (because Ford is a better option at returning, is young, has experience, and is not a Smurf)

Shaq goes to PS...maybe

Enunwa goes to PS unless Shaq does...then  bye-bye

Salas plays dark horse and either folds or bets out Nelson, or Gates

So far seems  like Gates is having the best camp, followed by Salas, then Decker, Hill and kerley.  But keep in mind Gates and Salas are rarely going against Defensive starters.  Decker is doing OK but not much else...still he's a lock.  Kerley same...lock.  Nelson looked good last season...been real quiet though recently.  Preseason will answer that question.  Hill is flashing, but not consistent...he stays because of his size/speed and the fact that he's a youngster despite two pro seasons.  Ford does double-duty.  He's going to beat out Saunders in the preseason.  He's just better suited for the pro game.  Salas made it last year, and by all accounts he's gotten better and more consistent.  He could push for a roster spot.  He also has playing time with Geno and Vick in the past.  Shaq is not an option.  He's done nothing to help his cause, and plenty to hurt it.  He was a huge reach and a bad pick.  Cut bait.  Period.  Enunwa may be a PS candidate along with Saunders, if he ever gets off the bike.  That's how i see it anyway.  

This.

Decker

Hill

Kerley

Nelson

Ford

Saunders

I see almost no way they will keep 7 WRs and only one draft pick. I probably like Gates, Nelson and Salas as much as anybody, but they are not cutting ties with Evans AND Enunwa unless one is hurt or they are total squids. It's been a week.  Give them a chance.

This.

Decker

Hill

Kerley

Nelson

Ford

Saunders

And Shaq Evans has a "severe" shoulder injury that could be bad enough to get him placed on IR. Have that go down, Enunwa on the practice squad, and things all of a sudden become pretty cut and dry.

like the idea of only carrying 2 QBs. If they get to #3 it's good night Irene.

Nah, carry 3.  Tajh Boyd ought to be given the chance to be our 2015 backup QB if Geno is the goods.  THEN you carry 2.  I don't like the idea of cutting ANY draft picks in first 6 rounds the first year, especially not at QB.

Unless of course you mean we should cut Vick, which I would be in full favor of doing.

Those wide receiver draft picks look terrible right now.

They look pretty similar to where they were when they got drafted. Saunders should be solid as a much needed quality punt returner, a home run threat from the slot, and insurance for a Kerley FA departure. I didn't like the Evans pick at the time and don't now - passing on Martavis Bryant might look bad in a few years. Maybe the redshirt year will help though. And Enunwa was a dice roll on physical tools, if they can hide him on the practice squad all year and have him available in case of injury I'd take that for a late 6th. Once teams get deeper it's harder for guys to make an impact.

And Shaq Evans has a "severe" shoulder injury that could be bad enough to get him placed on IR. Have that go down, Enunwa on the practice squad, and things all of a sudden become pretty cut and dry.

Yup. Barring some big change in the preseason games, I wouldn't be shocked if that's how things play out.

Boyd will be fine on the taxi squad. No one's going to poach him. 

I think someone would.  You're telling me we're the only team that would have drafted Boyd?  No chance he was ending up a UDFA.  The PS would be a good spot for Simms, not Boyd.  With Vick's injury history and Geno's past and potential struggles there's a decent chance we might require Boyd's services this year as the QB2.

I think someone would.  You're telling me we're the only team that would have drafted Boyd?  No chance he was ending up a UDFA.

Some would say it's questionable that he was even worth a draft pick

Look at his performance in preseason, if he rips it up then keep him. If he doesn't then taxi. 

Some would say it's questionable that he was even worth a draft pick

Look at his performance in preseason, if he rips it up then keep him. If he doesn't then taxi. 

1.  Who is this "Some" you speak of?  You?

2.  What performance?  I wasn't aware we'd played a preseason game.

For someone who was very slow to admit that guys like Robertson and Gholston were busts, you sure like to give up on players awfully quick. 

Archived