receivers who actually should make the team....

Jetknowledge

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.  Who is this "Some" you speak of?  You?

2.  What performance?  I wasn't aware we'd played a preseason game.

For someone who was very slow to admit that guys like Robertson and Gholston were busts, you sure like to give up on players awfully quick. 

as for the draft, if he dropped to 6 could have dropped further. 

preseason "look at it" in the future not in the past. No one has seen this guy play, let's see what he can do. 

I don't think it's much 

by the way i didn't say Boyd was a bust or give up on him. What I said was the poaching demand would be low. It's a safe risk to take.

by the way i didn't say Boyd was a bust or give up on him. What I said was the poaching demand would be low. It's a safe risk to take.

And I disagree.  The demand for QB's is high enough that one of the 31 teams who may have been interested in him in the 7th round or UDFA would take a flier on him, even if their depth chart at QB is set.  Not at all worth the risk just so we could carry 6 or 7 WR's in a run-heavy offensive scheme.

The history of quarterbacks drafted in rounds 6-7-UDFA being successful is minuscule.

There have been a bunch of good ones. But with that low of an investment I think a team would consider it "successful" even if that type of player only turned into its #2 QB for a few seasons.

How easily we all forget about Jeremy Kerley.

I did say "arguably". I didnt forget about Kerley at all. Some people would certainly give the nod to Kerley which I would be legit, others may say that Kerley is pretty much restricted to the slot and Nelson is more of an outside threat that can also play in the slot adding versatility along with the fact that after coming off the street early in the season he was the most consistent target down the stretch those last four games. 

What would have certainly put this to rest is if the jets would have moved up to draft Jordan Matthews.

And I disagree.  The demand for QB's is high enough that one of the 31 teams who may have been interested in him in the 7th round or UDFA would take a flier on him, even if their depth chart at QB is set.  Not at all worth the risk just so we could carry 6 or 7 WR's in a run-heavy offensive scheme.

No. Think about it. Is a team gonna drop their third stringer who's spent all of training camp with the team just to replace him with a guy who they probably didn't even deem worthy of a sixth round pick? (Boyd was a 6th round comp pick, so virtually every team in the league passed on him in the sixth).

The Jets in recent years have carried a backup/mentor/punt protector incapable of playing, and a third stringer marginally capable of playing. With Vick, tortured dogs aside, the Jets have a mentor who doubles as a viable backup. If they're looking for an extra roster spot, just carrying the two QBs makes a lot of sense - especially when it's highly likely that they could stash Boyd on the practice squad.

That said, even if they do opt to open up a spot this way, I can't imagine the Jets carrying seven WRs.

There's a guy, a wide receiver who has tried out for the Browns that we should sign if they don't, I heard tell that he was once the Super Bowl MVP, a captain too, who is a great locker room guy, and very 'long' in the talent department...I forget his name...but we should SIGN THAT BEAST!

I agree. His stock was once really high. It dropped out the bottom, for reasons unknown to me but he still put up some serious numbers in college. I think he sucks, but lets see what hes got.. cause if we don't, someone else will.

• 2 weeks later...

Fourth-round pick Jalen Saunders is expected to make the Jets final roster as the team’s primary punt returner (Cimini, August 13).

Saunders will also likely be the team’s fifth or sixth receiver on the depth chart.

Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill, David Nelson, Greg Salas and Clyde Gates are all listed ahead of Saunders on the team’s depth chart.

Via the jets blog. If Gates makes this team...

Fourth-round pick Jalen Saunders is expected to make the Jets final roster as the team’s primary punt returner (Cimini, August 13).

Saunders will also likely be the team’s fifth or sixth receiver on the depth chart.

Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill, David Nelson, Greg Salas and Clyde Gates are all listed ahead of Saunders on the team’s depth chart.

Via the jets blog. If Gates makes this team...

I know the board hates Clyde Gates and Hill, but the idea of competition is just that. Competition.  Cutting the guy cause you don't like him is not how you put the best team on the field. 

I know the board hates Clyde Gates and Hill, but the idea of competition is just that. Competition. Cutting the guy cause you don't like him is not how you put the best team on the field.

In my mind if Gates is good enough to make the team then that's what scares me. I really thought Ford would grab a spot on this team. If you replace Gates with Ford on the list above I really wouldn't have any complaints, just my opinion, FWIW.

In my mind if Gates is good enough to make the team then that's what scares me. I really thought Ford would grab a spot on this team. If you replace Gates with Ford on the list above I really wouldn't have any complaints, just my opinion, FWIW.

Neither Gates nor Ford might make the team if Saunders proves to be a capable punt returner.

I thought of that possibility as well but then who would be our primary KR guy? Unless I'm drawing a blank on someone I'm not sure who would.

I don't think it takes much skill at KR these days.  "Hey, are you good at watching footballs go over your head and out the back of the end zone?"  "Yeah."  "You get the job."

F***ing Goodell.

There was a blurb somewhere this week about Quincy Enunwa getting work with the 1's. That peaked my interest. I know what Gates and Ford bring to the table, it'd be great if a sixth round pick brings more. 

I thought of that possibility as well but then who would be our primary KR guy? Unless I'm drawing a blank on someone I'm not sure who would.

As mentioned above, KOR is barely a job in the NFL anymore. If not Saunders, I'm sure there's another receiver or DB looking for work who can handle the job. Returning punts is the real skill. 

That's why they compete.   The purpose of competition is not to keep the guy you are most comfortable with, it is to keep the guy who competes best.  We probably are done with Gates, but he is a guy with great measurables that came from a small school and was a basketball player coming out of high school.  It's not surprising that he did not come into the league as a polished product and not inconceivable that he is much better than you think..  

There was a blurb somewhere this week about Quincy Enunwa getting work with the 1's. That peaked my interest. I know what Gates and Ford bring to the table, it'd be great if a sixth round pick brings more.

As mentioned above, KOR is barely a job in the NFL anymore. If not Saunders, I'm sure there's another receiver or DB looking for work who can handle the job. Returning punts is the real skill.

The fact that KOR has lost it's importance is a point well taken that I overlooked. And I don't know much about Enunwa but that's nice to hear that he's making strides.

I know the board hates Clyde Gates and Hill, but the idea of competition is just that. Competition.  Cutting the guy cause you don't like him is not how you put the best team on the field. 

Yeah but Hill hasn't done anything to warrant he should be on the team.  How can he have 0 catches in the first preseason game?   For a guy who needs to prove something and it's his 3rd season,  that's a bad sign.   And from reports, he's had some moments in camp, but he's also missed balls. Which is his normal routine.   

I would say if Hill is again a no show tomorrow,  why is the guy on the team?   The only reason is somebody up high still wants the pick to turn out to be something he will never become.    Competition is great in theory, but a guy like Hill hasn't prove he even belongs in the NFL, much less, make the Jets this season.   So if Hill does make the team and he doesn't do any better, what does that say about the guys who didn't make the team?  They must've really sucked.

Yeah but Hill hasn't done anything to warrant he should be on the team.  How can he have 0 catches in the first preseason game?   For a guy who needs to prove something and it's his 3rd season,  that's a bad sign.   And from reports, he's had some moments in camp, but he's also missed balls. Which is his normal routine.   

I would say if Hill is again a no show tomorrow,  why is the guy on the team?   The only reason is somebody up high still wants the pick to turn out to be something he will never become.    Competition is great in theory, but a guy like Hill hasn't prove he even belongs in the NFL, much less, make the Jets this season.   So if Hill does make the team and he doesn't do any better, what does that say about the guys who didn't make the team?  They must've really sucked.

I do not have the slightest idea of what this post is saying other than that you don't like Hill.  Hill has as much potential as anybody.  That is why he is there.  He has value even if it is just for the D to practice against.  There is no reason to cut him before final cut down.  As far as camp reports, I had heard Salas, Gates and Hill were having good camps.  Nelson is the one everybody gave a roster spot that I haven't heard much about, but he is dinged.  If the competition mantra is going to bear out in real life, then Hill will have to prove he is better than those guys in camp. Has he?  I don't know, but not having stats in one preseason game does not mean much.  Why doesn't anybody complain about Saalim Hakim having a roster spot?  He was active last year and has shown nothing other than that he could fall down on a couple of end arounds. The answer is expectations.  Ignore them and then see what you are getting. 

I do not have the slightest idea of what this post is saying other than that you don't like Hill.  Hill has as much potential as anybody.  That is why he is there.  He has value even if it is just for the D to practice against.  There is no reason to cut him before final cut down.  As far as camp reports, I had heard Salas, Gates and Hill were having good camps.  Nelson is the one everybody gave a roster spot that I haven't heard much about, but he is dinged.  If the competition mantra is going to bear out in real life, then Hill will have to prove he is better than those guys in camp. Has he?  I don't know, but not having stats in one preseason game does not mean much.  Why doesn't anybody complain about Saalim Hakim having a roster spot?  He was active last year and has shown nothing other than that he could fall down on a couple of end arounds. The answer is expectations.  Ignore them and then see what you are getting. 

If we're going to have a decoy WR2 across from Decker to stretch the field and maybe catch 1 deep ball every once in a while or draw a flag, Hill is our best candidate.  Idzik has pushed for more speed on this offense for a reason.  We need to be able to keep the underneath options like Kerley or Chris Johnson constantly available for Geno.

If we're going to have a decoy WR2 across from Decker to stretch the field and maybe catch 1 deep ball every once in a while or draw a flag, Hill is our best candidate.  Idzik has pushed for more speed on this offense for a reason.  We need to be able to keep the underneath options like Kerley or Chris Johnson constantly available for Geno.

Hopefully, Amaro. 

Archived