Salas making a good impression at Jets camp

faba

Dennis Waszak Jr., Associated Press5:51 p.m. EDT August 3, 2014

(Photo: Getty Images )

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

CORTLAND, N.Y. — Greg Salas almost seemed surprised by all the fuss.

Sure, he was perhaps the biggest star of the Jets’ scrimmage Saturday night. But as far as the wide receiver was concerned, there was nothing unusual about his performance.

“This is what I do in practice,” Salas said. “I make catches. I make plays in practice and I was glad I could come out here and do the same in this little scrimmage we had.”

Salas, part of crowded competition to win a spot in the Jets’ receiving corps, had five catches for 54 yards in the practice that was dominated by the defense. He dropped a pass, too, but that didn’t take away from a solid night at SUNY Cortland.

“All Salas does is catch the football — except that one drop,” coach Rex Ryan said. “It’s funny, but that’s what he does. He’s not a blazer by any means, but he certainly gets the football. He gets open and he competes as a blocker, so those are all encouraging things.”

The 25-year-old Salas is heading into his fourth NFL season, and second with the Jets. He had eight catches for 143 yards in eight games for the Jets last season after signing him off Philadelphia’s practice squad last October.

While Eric Decker and Jeremy Kerley have jobs locked up, Salas is among a group that includes Stephen Hill, David Nelson, Jacoby Ford, Clyde Gates and rookies Jalen Saunders, Shaq Evans and Quincy Enunwa competing for the last three or four spots.

“Nothing’s going to be given to anybody here and you’ve got to earn it,” Salas said. “These coaches are going to play the best players, so I’m just here trying to make a case for myself and I think I’m trying to do a pretty good job of that.”

Salas might not yet be a recognizable name to Jets fans, but he was a star in college. At the University of Hawaii, he finished third in the country with 1,590 yards receiving as a junior in 2009. His final season was even better, setting the single-season school records with 119 receptions and 1,889 yards receiving. Salas also holds the school’s career mark for yards receiving.

The native of Chino, California, was drafted in the fourth round by St. Louis in 2011. Salas had 27 catches for 264 yards in six games as a rookie, but suffered a broken leg midway through the season. He was traded to New England for a draft pick before the following season, and claimed off waivers by the Eagles later that year.

After coming to the Jets last season, Salas had a few opportunities because of injuries to other wide receivers. During the offseason, he flew to Florida to work out with Geno Smith to try to develop a better rapport with the Jets quarterback. Judging from all the plays he has made this summer, it seems to have worked.

“He has had a great camp up until this point and he’s a guy that is very consistent,” Smith said. “He’s a guy that we can rely on. That’s something that we’ve seen from him since the time he got here. He’s a true professional.”

Salas played with Smith and Vick, a former teammate in Philadelphia, during the scrimmage and appeared comfortable with both. He caught three passes from Vick and nearly had a touchdown grab on another throw, and hooked up with Smith twice.

“Greg Salas had a great night,” Vick said. “I threw one ball across the middle and I could not believe he caught it. I probably put everything I had into it. He has great hands and he’s one guy that has been a good friend of mine since my days in Philadelphia. It’s great to see young guys continue to prosper in this league.”

Salas realizes he’s still a long way from that. He needs to keep trying to impress Ryan and the coaching staff in practices and again in the preseason, starting with the opener Thursday night against Indianapolis.

“You should be like that no matter what, you should want to be flashing,” Salas said. “You should want to be able to show the coaches how bad you want it, and how hard you’re willing to play for it. That’s all I’ve been doing.

“Whether if I was a starter or not, I’d be trying to flash out here.”

If everyone stays healthy, there's no spot for any of the 3 rooks. Ford might be a better returner than Saunders

Does Ford return punts though? Think Saunders has that role locked up, and they're probably trying to prep him for the slot role if they have to let Kerley walk in FA. I agree on the other two, think there must have been a better way for some of the third day selections to get used.

Saunders is so little its actually cute.  Ford is the guy to return kicks and punts.  Saunders goes on the P-squad.  I'm thinking Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Ford, Gates, maybe Salas if they keep a spare considering Ford may be a ST'er mainly. Evans is in over his head and it shows.  Enunwa is master of the stationary bike.  Saunders goes PS because Salas can't, and he's immediately a better option right now.  

I don't see Nelson, Gates, Ford, and Salas all making the team and cutting Hill and all 3 rookies. What I do see is it's 1 week into camp and it would be unusual for any mid-round pick (let alone a late round pick spending the week riding a stationary bike) to already look or "get it" better than even lower-level veterans who have played through real games with this playbook.

Don't forget it's also their first real NFL practices, they're up in Cortland, and they're probably also still getting hazed (at least a little bit). Plenty to breed some initial insecurity or apprehension on the field or get early jitters in general.

If there's still a wide margin between the worst veteran and the best rookie after 2 more weeks, then I'll start to entertain the POSSIBILITY of the Jets - or any team - cutting 3 out of 3 WRs they just drafted 3 months earlier (2 with mid-round picks) when it was their biggest need entering the draft.

Rex, Idzik, etc. can't bet on any mid-round rookie WR prospect making it to the PS. Not with Carolina's roster still looking like it does, and other teams having #5-level WRs that flopped out for them. The Jets have a much better chance at cutting someone like Gates (or Salas or Ford, or any combination of them), and then re-signing any during the season with a non-guaranteed contract, than a 4th round rookie making it to the PS.

Saunders is so little its actually cute.  Ford is the guy to return kicks and punts.  Saunders goes on the P-squad.  I'm thinking Decker, Kerley, Nelson, Ford, Gates, maybe Salas if they keep a spare considering Ford may be a ST'er mainly. Evans is in over his head and it shows.  Enunwa is master of the stationary bike.  Saunders goes PS because Salas can't, and he's immediately a better option right now.

Saunders was the first WR they took for a reason. They have a specific role on mind for him. Salas playing well makes the decisions more difficult, but I have a difficult time imagining the Jets cutting their early fourth round pick. Be pretty risky to expect him to clear waivers just so they can stash him.

GM's generally have an aversion to cutting their own draft picks, so Salas and Ford vs. Evans for the last spot could be something to keep an eye on.

And Hill is making the team before Nelson, Ford, Gates(?), and Salas.

IF Salas continues to impress everyone as he has so far. IF that happens, I think he gets himself a spot.  Then I think they keep 5 others.  

Decker, Kerley are locks, of course. That's 3.

The rest will be 3 out of: Saunders, Evans, Hill, Nelson, and Ford. They're not carrying 7.  I think Gates is out; last year was his shot and unfortunately for him he blew one game and then got injured. He's not the type you hold onto because of fear someone else will sign him. If we get 3 early injuries he'll still be available in October. What he needs, to make the team, is to blow everyone away in camp like Salas is doing. Give Salas credit for having some brains. He called up his starting QB and said he wants to work out with him over the winter, and it's paying off for him. Plus Vick remembers/knows/likes him as well, and that probably goes for Mornhinweg as well.

Hill and Nelson would each have to really show something for both to make it because both can't start - one of them will be #4 at best - and neither plays special teams. They're not going keep Salas AND guarantee the full-season contracts of both of these two when they've got 4-5 other WRs who bring something to the table (3 of them rookies they just drafted, and a 4th that returns kicks). Keep in mind there's at least a shot (from all the 1-week hype) that Salas actually starts the season as the #2 opposite Decker. In that case, both of these guys should be worried, especially Nelson.

Hope they only carry 2 qbs and just PS Boyd. It's a waste of a roster spot to keep 3 qbs with Simms and Boyd both having awful camps so far. I agree that Gates is more likely to be cut than the rookies. Gates has been around a while and they've had him on the team already where he underperformed in the regular season. Not worth saving him over cutting a rookie if he's not dominating in camp.

IF Salas continues to impress everyone as he has so far. IF that happens, I think he gets himself a spot.  Then I think they keep 5 others.  

Decker, Kerley are locks, of course. That's 3.

The rest will be 3 out of: Saunders, Evans, Hill, Nelson, and Ford. They're not carrying 7.  I think Gates is out; last year was his shot and unfortunately for him he blew one game and then got injured. He's not the type you hold onto because of fear someone else will sign him. If we get 3 early injuries he'll still be available in October. What he needs, to make the team, is to blow everyone away in camp like Salas is doing. Give Salas credit for having some brains. He called up his starting QB and said he wants to work out with him over the winter, and it's paying off for him. Plus Vick remembers/knows/likes him as well, and that probably goes for Mornhinweg as well.

Hill and Nelson would each have to really show something for both to make it because both can't start - one of them will be #4 at best - and neither plays special teams. They're not going keep Salas AND guarantee the full-season contracts of both of these two when they've got 4-5 other WRs who bring something to the table (3 of them rookies they just drafted, and a 4th that returns kicks). Keep in mind there's at least a shot (from all the 1-week hype) that Salas actually starts the season as the #2 opposite Decker. In that case, both of these guys should be worried, especially Nelson.

Agree with most of this, but I think at this point it's more a matter that people are getting way too far ahead of each other.  We haven't even seen a single real preseason game out of these guys yet which can very easily make all of the difference in the world.  For anyone who is already convinced that a week worth of good practices has a guy destined for a roster spot, I have two words for them: Chas Gessner.

Let these guys step out onto the field, playing against someone other than their own teammates over and over again, in real live action, with serious hits being made, and then let's see how they all do.  Not to mention, there's a very real chance that these guys don't all make it through the next month completely healthy.  There's always the possibility for a serious injury and don't doubt for a second that even something minor for one of these cusp guys won't see the Jets rush to stash on the IR.

Nelson I definitely think is probably the most interesting situation here, as you alluded to.  He seemed like an absolute guarantee for the roster a few months back, but if he gets outperformed by Hill for the #2 job, his spot suddenly comes into serious question, especially if the team ends up impressed with another veteran like Salas or Ford.  If nothing else, this is a much better problem for the Jets to potentially have then the one they did last year.  With that said, preseason has a tendency to sort a lot of these things out for themselves anyway.

Hope they only carry 2 qbs and just PS Boyd. It's a waste of a roster spot to keep 3 qbs with Simms and Boyd both having awful camps so far. I agree that Gates is more likely to be cut than the rookies. Gates has been around a while and they've had him on the team already where he underperformed in the regular season. Not worth saving him over cutting a rookie if he's not dominating in camp.

That's possible, but when 1 of your 3 QBs is Vick then only carrying 2 is definitely a risk.

I do think Nelson is seen here as too much of a lock for the starting job (not to mention a roster spot). He isn't even wiping the floor with Stephen Hill's head. The team has too many others that may have a future. I don't see how a team would hold onto him and Salas both unless there were literally no other options (like last season) and their young guys show no promise at all.

Same with Ford vs Saunders. Ford is going to have to either do a lot more as a receiver or Saunders will have to flop for the next month straight for him to stick. He was signed before the draft, in case the team didn't find another kick returner. Well, they did. Ford's also got nothing guaranteed either. So barring Saunders getting injured or stinking to high hell (fumbling returns in particular) in August, I think Ford's getting cut.

Rookies should have the benefit of the doubt. Presumably rookie camp will be the worst they'll ever look for their entire careers. Veterans are showing where they've plateaued to.  For the most part, anyway. Teams hold onto project receivers as their #5 (never mind #6) all the time. The #6 guy is expected to be that anyway, since he's only on the field in 5-WR sets IF there's an injury or two.

Agree with most of this, but I think at this point it's more a matter that people are getting way too far ahead of each other.  We haven't even seen a single real preseason game out of these guys yet which can very easily make all of the difference in the world.  For anyone who is already convinced that a week worth of good practices has a guy destined for a roster spot, I have two words for them: Chas Gessner.

Outstanding reference.

Somewhere, in an alternate universe, Chas Gessner is catching TD passes from Brooks Bollinger in the Super Bowl.

Let these guys step out onto the field, playing against someone other than their own teammates over and over again, in real live action, with serious hits being made, and then let's see how they all do.  Not to mention, there's a very real chance that these guys don't all make it through the next month completely healthy.  There's always the possibility for a serious injury and don't doubt for a second that even something minor for one of these cusp guys won't see the Jets rush to stash on the IR.

Nelson I definitely think is probably the most interesting situation here, as you alluded to.  He seemed like an absolute guarantee for the roster a few months back, but if he gets outperformed by Hill for the #2 job, his spot suddenly comes into serious question, especially if the team ends up impressed with another veteran like Salas or Ford.  If nothing else, this is a much better problem for the Jets to potentially have then the one they did last year.  With that said, preseason has a tendency to sort a lot of these things out for themselves anyway.

Agreed.  I just posted again above about Nelson. 

Right now I don't think anyone's a lock for anything except Decker and Kerley and even that's only if neither gets seriously hurt.

Anyone making projections based on production so far is just projecting based on one week.  I'm trying to see who brings what to the table. Someone who isn't starting ideally will bring something to the table that others do not. Whether that's playing on specials, or providing speed that starters don't, or whether it's rose-colored glasses for the future.

So which guys overlap? Nelson is a tall target, but so is Decker, so is Cumberland, so is Amaro, so is Hill (in theory), and Salas isn't a midget himself at 6'2" tall. Nelson also doesn't play special teams. What he brings is hands - which Salas also supposedly is showing - and experience. Nelson doesn't bring speed, so that is why a team looks at others (Salas, Hill, Gates, and the rookies). Also no one thinks his career is about to take off like a rocket (however possible it may be).

Ford and Saunders also overlap quite a bit. I could go on (of course I can). But camp performance and health will sort a lot of this out. At some point you stop projecting what guys theoretically will bring on paper and you see what they actually are bringing on the field.

Salas, Salas, Salas.  Now he is everyone's darling cause he had a nice scrimmage and Cimini wrote a rare favorable blurb about him.  Did you know he had what was termed a "brutal drop" late in the scrimmage?  I think he had four drops in like 35 targets before he got to the Jets. They won't be making a decision any time soon, and there is a reason for that. Too much of this board will be on the Salas bandwagon by the time the cuts come and then will complain if/when he gets cut.  If they keep him, the board will kill him for not being Welker when he ends the season with 20-30 catches at 10 per with a decent number of drops. Especially if Shaq Evans ever makes a catch in the NFL for another team.

That's possible, but when 1 of your 3 QBs is Vick then only carrying 2 is definitely a risk.

I do think Nelson is seen here as too much of a lock for the starting job (not to mention a roster spot). He isn't even wiping the floor with Stephen Hill's head. The team has too many others that may have a future. I don't see how a team would hold onto him and Salas both unless there were literally no other options (like last season) and their young guys show no promise at all.

Same with Ford vs Saunders. Ford is going to have to either do a lot more as a receiver or Saunders will have to flop for the next month straight for him to stick. He was signed before the draft, in case the team didn't find another kick returner. Well, they did. Ford's also got nothing guaranteed either. So barring Saunders getting injured or stinking to high hell (fumbling returns in particular) in August, I think Ford's getting cut.

Rookies should have the benefit of the doubt. Presumably rookie camp will be the worst they'll ever look for their entire careers. Veterans are showing where they've plateaued to.  For the most part, anyway. Teams hold onto project receivers as their #5 (never mind #6) all the time. The #6 guy is expected to be that anyway, since he's only on the field in 5-WR sets IF there's an injury or two.

Yeah, I have no idea why folks around here have gotten so hung up on Ford.  He's done next to nothing in his career outside of his rookie year, even including on special teams.  His signing was nothing more than an insurance policy and barring standing out throughout camp and preseason, on both ST and as a WR, his chances of making this squad decreased substantially with the draft.

A bunch of us kind of lean towards concedeing a roster spot to Ford because he seems like a plug and play replacement for Cribbs.  I think Ford is a kick returner and Saunders will handle the punts.  To the extent the new RB is being seriously looked at, he is a kick returner (not a PR) and if they elect to keep one less WR, that may be a way.  Let the RB handle KR.  Right now, I think Gates and Ford the main KR guys.  Salas can handle punts, but I don't think he is a KR.  He isn't particularly fast.

yep, definitely. I'm all for guys playing their way onto the team and Salas is a guy I liked as a pickup last year.

The connection with Marty from the Eagles should have been a help to him and it seems like he is running with it.

Saunders was the first WR they took for a reason. They have a specific role on mind for him. Salas playing well makes the decisions more difficult, but I have a difficult time imagining the Jets cutting their early fourth round pick. Be pretty risky to expect him to clear waivers just so they can stash him.

GM's generally have an aversion to cutting their own draft picks, so Salas and Ford vs. Evans for the last spot could be something to keep an eye on.

And Hill is making the team before Nelson, Ford, Gates(?), and Salas.

I agree. All of this BS about Hill not making the team is just that. BS. He would have to be injured or something to not be on the roster game 1.

Also, has Ford played one full season in his career yet? We're going to cut a high 4th Rd WR who was the first one we took,( and the final Revis pick by the way) for a guy who hasn't been able to stay on the field? Not likely. The other two rooks will make it to the practice squad. 

Gates, Ford, Salas. That's the competition right there. 

I also think we'll keep an extra WR with ST ability on the roster this season if we feel strongly enough about a Gates or Salas.  

FWIW, Salas has some experience as a gunner and punt returner.  I don't think Nelson adds anything to specials.  Hill either. 

I guess its not entirely out of the realm that Salas is the better receiver of the 3 either. Salas was a 4th rounder...not an UDFA type of guy....he's been plucked off of two practice squads too.

I guess its not entirely out of the realm that Salas is the better receiver of the 3 either. Salas was a 4th rounder...not an UNDFA type of guy....he's been plucked off of two practice squads too.

Yes, Gates and Salas have always had jobs.  Gates was pick 111 (Dolphins) and Salas pick 112 (Rams) in the 2011 draft.  Gates was picked up off waivers at the end of camp in 2012.  He was probably a vicitim of the regime change, but the fact that Sparano was here may also have contributed to him being picked up by the Jets.  The same day, Salas was traded to the Pats for a pick and lasted a couple of weeks before he was cut. He was on the Pats practice squad a bit before he was brought back up for a week when they waived Branch.  The Pats waived him again, presumably to put him on the practice squad, but he was claimed by the Eagles and Mornhinweg.  Trivia: to sign Salas, the Eagles cut Mardy Gilyard who had been with the Jets in 2011 and the Jets scooped him back up.  

FWIW, Nelson was an UDFA the year prior, but looked like he would have a decent career.  He was kind of a tweener coming out, sort of like Cumberland.  A big WR that wasn't too fast or shifty.  Cumberland bulked up while Nelson went to Buffalo and played pretty well at WR his first two years.  Then he blew out his knee in the opener against the Jets in 2012.  The Bills didn't tender him (another regime change) and the Browns had him in camp 2013.  He was slow recovering from the knee and only came off the PUP in July.  The Browns dumped him in final cutdowns and he was signed by the Jets after everyone got hurt. 

These guys are not top draft picks, but they have much better pedigrees than guys like Michael Campbell or Saalim Hakim, though I guess it is dumb listing Az Hakim's brother as a guy without a pedigree.

Braylon had that habit too. Watch AJ Green or Julio Jones go after a contested deep ball...their hands always attack the football.

I think the jumping is a getting hit thing more than an attacking the football thing.  Hill does need to work on going up for contested balls, but  I have seen him hand catch some difficult passes (mostly some poorly thrown slants IIRC).  I think guys tend to jump when somebody is on their back because not having your feet planted when you get hit reduces the impact.  I remember doing it at times, usually when you are waiting for the ball and know you are going to get blasted.  You don't want it to become a constant or a habit.  I remember Randall Cunningham used to jump before he got tackled and he said that he thought it helped his durability because it kept him from getting his knee twisted.  That was before he got his knee twisted.

Archived