Salas making a good impression at Jets camp

faba

Ryan Spadola.

Gotta' disagree  here.  I'm not sure Spadola ever caught a pass in the NFL.  Now Salas hasn't exactly lit it up, but he's managed to latch on with a few teams and IMO plays faster than his 40-time indicates.  I think he's got a shot and I thought he looked okay in VERY limited chances last season.

Gotta' disagree  here.  I'm not sure Spadola ever caught a pass in the NFL.  Now Salas hasn't exactly lit it up, but he's managed to latch on with a few teams and IMO plays faster than his 40-time indicates.  I think he's got a shot and I thought he looked okay in VERY limited chances last season.

He looked like he actually knew what he was doing. We've had many guys get real game reps at receiver that havent.

Spadola is in Dolphins training camp as camp fodder who will not make the team. He has only been with the JETS and Dolphins.

Spadola is in Dolphins training camp as camp fodder who will not make the team. He has only been with the JETS and Dolphins.

Yup, last I remember hearing his name was when the Phins signed him, and he claimed it was a misunderstanding between him and his agent.  He said he wanted to stay with the Jets apparentnly.

Yup, last I remember hearing his name was when the Phins signed him, and he claimed it was a misunderstanding between him and his agent.  He said he wanted to stay with the Jets apparentnly.

No he eloped for the Phins with a bruised vagina. IIRC he was cut last season itself. Then he was invited to this years Phins camp.

No he eloped for the Phins with a bruised vagina. IIRC he was cut last season itself. Then he was invited to this years Phins camp.

Phins may have brought him back in, but he definitely went there after the Jets let him go last year.  His game log shows he only played one game for them though, so I don't know how long he hung around.

Spadola was okay for an UDFA.  I believe the misunderstanding was the Jets cut him and planned to put him on the practice squad.  The Dolphins signed him and a bunch of us initially thought they had put in a waiver claim and put him on the active roster.  Instead he ended up on their practice squad.  They moved him to the active roster for one game.  Zach Rogers is the guy that everybody was in love with that made final cuts and disappeared.  He never latched on anywhere else and they didn't bring him back even when all the WRs were hurt.

Gates, Ford, Salas. That's the competition right there. 

I also think we'll keep an extra WR with ST ability on the roster this season if we feel strongly enough about a Gates or Salas.

An extra WR meaning six total? Because that's the number I think they'll end up with.

If Evans or Enunwa have any hope of securing a roster spot, it'll be thru demonstrating an ability and willingness of stick their head in there on special teams. The vets you mention already know the drill. I think if one of the rookies shows that fearlessness on the kick teams, that Idzik would push for his draft pick to take that last spot.

JETS wanted to resign him. But he signed with the Phins.

This is correct, but after signing with the Phins he made a claim about miscommunication between him and his agent that led to his signing with the Phins. Per Spadola, "It wasn't until I got down here that I found out there was a spot for me with the Jets".

Saunders was the first WR they took for a reason. They have a specific role on mind for him. Salas playing well makes the decisions more difficult, but I have a difficult time imagining the Jets cutting their early fourth round pick. Be pretty risky to expect him to clear waivers just so they can stash him.

GM's generally have an aversion to cutting their own draft picks, so Salas and Ford vs. Evans for the last spot could be something to keep an eye on.

And Hill is making the team before Nelson, Ford, Gates(?), and Salas.

absolutely right about Hill.  He makes the team no question.  I just forgot him.  Not hard to do, really.  So updated list would be Decker, Kerley, Hill, Gates, Nelson, Ford, with Salas making the starting roster if someone gets a hammy or worse.  Saunders and Ford are the same guy, really.  Hard to see them cutting Ford when he's listed three times on the depth chart, and Saunders is only listed as a punt returner (which ford is capable of handling as well.)  But like you said, it could come down to politics.  For the record i think we whiffed on all the WR's we took.  This draft was stacked in the first three rounds.  we just didn't pull the trigger.   

absolutely right about Hill.  He makes the team no question.  I just forgot him.  Not hard to do, really.  So updated list would be Decker, Kerley, Hill, Gates, Nelson, Ford, with Salas making the starting roster if someone gets a hammy or worse.  Saunders and Ford are the same guy, really.  Hard to see them cutting Ford when he's listed three times on the depth chart, and Saunders is only listed as a punt returner (which ford is capable of handling as well.)  But like you said, it could come down to politics.  For the record i think we whiffed on all the WR's we took.  This draft was stacked in the first three rounds.  we just didn't pull the trigger.

It's still early yet, but I can't imagine anyone thought they'd realistically be keeping all 12 draft picks (let alone 3 rookie WRs). They went receiver in round 2, in a sense, because Amaro was clearly drafted to be a pass catcher first and foremost (though he's having trouble catching the ball so far, which is discouraging no matter how early it is in camp). If he turns into the goods I don't personally care if their top 3 receiving targets are WR-WR-WR or WR-TE-RB (in no particular order) if they're doing it at a high level.

I think it's unrealistic for the team to cut 3 out of 3 WRs that they just drafted. I think it's unrealistic for any team to do that unless all 3 are so horrid that they just have neither any present value nor any reason to think they'll ever turn into a #5 WR IF they put in crazy amounts of work.

Ford and Saunders are very similar, I agree. If Saunders is already 1st on the depth chart at ANYTHING right now I think his roster spot is fairly secure. That is, unless he just starts miffing punts in every preseason game (or gets injured). Hell, one of the nice bonuses with drafting Kyle Wilson was his return ability (3 of his 33 punt returns were TDs his junior year). Meanwhile after 3 years of seeing him suck at it there was actually a game when Ryan and Kotwica both felt they might be just as good with literally no one back there for a couple of punts one game. Right or wrong, it's a pretty strong indictment of their assessment of Wilson's ability in that area. As in he sucks at it.

Ford should be pretty worried. I think the only way he's on the roster is if Saunders gets hurt (he is pretty tiny) or starts muffing punts this month. The team has nothing invested in Ford ($65K signing bonus and no draft picks).

I can't make a prediction about most of the others because we haven't even played one preseason game (let alone three). But without saying anything at all earth-shattering, I expect 1-2 rookie WRs, Decker & Kerley, and 2-3 out of Nelson, Hill, Salas, Gates (and I suppose Ford). If Salas somehow continues to climb the depth chart and jumps over Nelson, however unlikely, I think Nelson is one of the cuts. We're nowhere near seeing that happen yet. Still, the team is really pushing to get faster and he was no burner before tearing up his knee. I do think the hope was that the first 2 make it and they were able to keep Enunwa on the PS for the season.

It's still early - really early - but it all makes for good conversation. At least we're discussing the team's options instead of knowing none of them (other than Kerley) are presently any good.

I have not seen *that* much of Saunders, but he does not seem much like Ford to me at all.  More jitterbug-gy and less straightline speed.  If anything Ford is like a rich man's Gates.  Saunders strikes me more as a Kerley type.  There is a HUGE difference in their speed and Saunders is supposed to have good moves and cutting ability which I don't think is Ford's forte.  Punt returner and kick returner are NOT the same position.  

I have not seen *that* much of Saunders, but he does not seem much like Ford to me at all.  More jitterbug-gy and less straightline speed.  If anything Ford is like a rich man's Gates.  Saunders strikes me more as a Kerley type.  There is a HUGE difference in their speed and Saunders is supposed to have good moves and cutting ability which I don't think is Ford's forte.  Punt returner and kick returner are NOT the same position.

They're both small and are both listed at WR. So therefore they're similar (since neither really would see the field much at WR). :)

If Saunders can return punts I'm sure he can return KOs. He doesn't have Ford's speed (few do) but he's plenty fast enough. Faster than some pro bowl kick returners we've had over the past decade.

An extra WR meaning six total? Because that's the number I think they'll end up with.

If Evans or Enunwa have any hope of securing a roster spot, it'll be thru demonstrating an ability and willingness of stick their head in there on special teams. The vets you mention already know the drill. I think if one of the rookies shows that fearlessness on the kick teams, that Idzik would push for his draft pick to take that last spot.

I'm not so sure the number won't be 7. We;ve carried 4 QB's, 4 TE's, 3 FB's (I think) before. We're also low on the DT side as well. It seems to me that it's a very real possibility of holding on to more WR's this season after signing Decker and Ford in FA and drafting 3 to go with Kerley, Nelson and Hill all while having prospects like Salas and Gates already on the roster. 6 seems tough. 

Decker, Hill, Kerley, Nelson, Ford, Saunders, Salas with Evans or Enumwa or both on the PS.  Gates will be gone imo.

Archived