Jets Sign Michael Smith

JetNation

On Friday the Jets signed running back Michael Smith and released safety Brandon Hardin.  Smith adds more depth to an already crowded backfield as camp continues up in Cortland.  Smith was a seventh-round pick of Tampa Bay out of Utah State in 2012.  The 5-foot-9, 205-pound running back was utilized for his speed on Special Teams.  He had three kickoff returns for the Buccaneers as a rookie, but didn’t play in a game last season.  He was released in May.

The Jets are currently dealing with some injuries at the running back position.

Their top two backs, Chris Ivory and Chris Johnson, seem to be doing fine. But Bilal Powell has missed four straight practices with a hamstring injury. Alex Green, who is probably the fifth running back on the Jets’ depth chart, has been dealing with a chest injury. He was limited in Friday’s practice.

The Jets’ No. 4 running back (probably), Daryl Richardson, has remained healthy in camp, after fighting a turf toe injury last season that resulted in the Jets limiting his action in organized team activities and minicamp.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA</img> http://feeds.feedburner.com/~ff/Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs</img>http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/h0BsKPDYpzg

View the full article

He played with Turbin in college.  Probably a true camp body.  Powell is dinged and they have three guys they are trying to limit.  I think Ivory had hamstring issues a bit and I'm sure they want to keep him fresh.  Johnson is coming off the knee and they are trying to keep him fresh and limiting his work.  Richardson had a turf toe injury last year and they limited him in camp.  Green has a chest injury and put it on the ground in the scrimmage.  They probably want a body to take more snaps so they don't have to beat on the regulars while they are dinged.  It is interesting that Idzik again gives a shot to a guy that can fly.  I care less about that for RB than most positions, but they certainly seem to keep an eye out for speed.

Utah State RB Michael Smith among draft gems
Utah State RB MIchael Smith among draft gems       by Marc Sessler                  Michael Smith, RB, Utah State: A back with exceptional upper-body strength, Smith made a living coming off the bench to spell Robert Turbin at Utah State. NFL.com's Chad Reuter spoke of Smith's outstanding pro day -- he timed at 4.33 in the 40-yard dash with a 40 1/2-inch vertical jump -- as part of an argument for Smith finding a home in the fourth or fifth round. Smith is overlooked because his touches were reduced as a senior, but he averaged more than seven yards per carry over his career. Smith possesses exceptional burst and exploded in December's Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, with 157 yards on 12 carries, two for scores. (Are you telling us you didn't watch the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl? Priorities, people.)

I'm not sure if Hardin is gone or on the injured list. He had a foot injury and I had read they put him on the reserve/injured list (you have to clear waivers first) but now I read he has been released. I think he is gone at this point.  Another size/speed freak, (6'3", 217, 4.38) he was a 3rd rounder of the Bears in 2012, but never played.  MIssed his senior year playing CB at Oregon State with a shoulder injury, 2012, but played S at the E-W Shrine game.  Missed 2012 with a preseason neck injury and had a broken scapula in 2013.  His current problem is plantar fasciitis.  Interesting they would dump him with Cunningham certainly done with the torn achilles, but they are probably tired of waiting for him to see the field.  Just like the Bears. 

Archived